Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just noticed this thread and makes me happy we are discussing this poo poo. Seems like every car group is a festering pile of racism and bigotry, especially love whenever someone mentions EVs and half the group turns into a raging pile of loom smashers.

Also: gently caress anyone dunking on Greta, they just wish they could've been as recognized as her at that age. I disagree with Greta's stance on Nuclear Energy but she's still a net positive to the world for her views on Climate.

kastein posted:

My recycler actually clarified recently that they don't care if we recycle pizza boxes as long as we shake the crumbs out, since even if 100% of pizza boxes were recycled the amount of grease added to the recycling stream would not affect the quality of the paper produced. But I am still very amused that Elon was a shithead and released another shithead from Twitter jail, who then proceeded to lose an e-fight with Greta so badly that he put himself in real jail. While making a 2 minute long overwrought video about how he definitely didn't lose the e-fight.

Congrats fuckface, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Lmao, and its completely unsurprising the fucker is a human trafficker. Half these 'Alpha Male' jackasses don't even see women as human.

Large Testicles posted:

I just watched the entire thing and while it's 100% true, it is kinda funny coming from a dude who just produced an entire Netflix series with Barack and Michelle tho.

Adam Connover has his issues but he at least is capable of taking criticism and will usually correct himself. That's pretty impressive given the average guy in media would rather stick to their guns no matter how valid the criticism. I guess its not too suprising given he runs a web series on evidence based review of common misconceptions, you'd hope he'd be able to handle fact checking.

He also comes from a family where everyone but he has a PhD. He also has a degree in Philosophy.

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, no. A billionaire is ruling class no matter what. There is no amount of "work" one person can do that is worth a billion dollars, much less 200 billion. That is stolen value from other workers. Only way to do it.

The problem is too is the moron who wrote that post has his head firmly up his rear end if he believe Elon has done ANYTHING working class in his life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can only imagine how toxic Greta’s mentions are right now

:smith: They are always, always toxic, sadly....

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I too quit watching Clarkson after he punched the cook.

Clarkson always gave off the chud vibe and he basically just confirmed he really is as bad as he plays off.
But what about James May or Richard Hammond, they don't seem to actually like Jeremy all that much (including making various jokes on the big Top Gear/Grand Tour special events where Jeremy falls behind about how glad they are that he's not there).

Its really hard being general Leftie/Progressive and trying to stay in car groups, in fact I've left more than a handful after any talk about emissions or racial/social justice turns into John Galt speech level rants about chud poo poo. Its also fun bein a mass transit advocate and having people attack you for not liking cars enough.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 30, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pastor of muppets posted:

I sincerely appreciate The Autopian for trying to foster a non-chud-dominated car community that's also not a click-baity ad-ridden hellsacpe. I really hope they make it. :(

This is good, thanks for this! I also hope they make it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I don't have receipts, but I do recall Hammond being pretty classist. He's also just whiney and unlikeable and unpleasant. Maybe not chuddy but except for occasionally choosing some hilarious outlandish vehicle for the challenges I never cared for his contributions.

May is genuinely clever and a good tv personality in my opinion. He plays the fuddy old guy thing up in a really inoffensive and kind of endearing way.

It seems like May at least was pro-stay for Brexit and claims to lean liberal, so probably can keep him in the 'OK people' group.

Just seems like most of my admired UK presenters/comedians disappoint me, like John Cleese. Thankfully Dylan Moran is still a good (if nihilistic) guy.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 31, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Old and wealthy... It corrupts the mind into thinking that everyone and everything "new" is bad. Nevermind they made their name by being the new people who pissed off the ruling class and gentry. It's the circle of money

If I recall Eric Idle is okay, voted Remain for Brexit and even called out John Cleese a couple times for being an rear end

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Cleese is weird because the Pythons effectively were the woke crowd in the 60s and 70s and now Cleese is yelling at the woke kids to get off his lawn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Jesus he had just joined Audi and built a UrQuattro with his daughter(?)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

Dying is so inconvenient!!

To be fair, I was honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Since they killed GT to be just travel specials,because I guess those were the best episodes of TG, it was always on its last legs and Jeramy being a piece of poo poo who writes for The Sun just has allowed Amazon to eject from a project that wasn’t delivering.

More James May stuff thanks Jeffy B.

James May is doing a lot of good stuff, his series "Our Man In Japan" and "Our Man in Italy" are both really good, plus his independent car miniseries "Cars of the People"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I like how all of the discussion of top gear is "Clarkson sucks poo poo" and "James May is dreamy" and not a single mention of the third little weasely guy

I've watched some of Hammonds stuff and he's....a little out there as a presenter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Jesus it just gets worse and worse every time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just Winging It posted:

Trans people, pronouns, Islamophobia, and Greta Thunberg. Remarkable efficiency in hitting most of the chud talking points in just one column.

Amazon just cancelled one of his series, wonder if that broke his brain a bit more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The reality is Tesla would've been a far more successful manufacturer had they just sold powertrains to major auto makers rather than trying to do their own.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

As much as I hate coal rolling, and Teslas a coal rolling Tesla would be fuckin sweet.

Its only acceptable if you are driving a generator to run your electric motors

(even then its unacceptable because your engine should be tuned for peak efficiency and rolling coal is just good at one thing: destroying your engine)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apple has a successful product that has withstood the test of time and is not actively trying to murder people. So no, not a very good comparison at all.

Apple, for better or for worse, wasn't also led by a Right Wing demagogue who is so full of himself that he can't stop trying to be the main character.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

the world at large didn’t know about Elon’s true self until the last few months/weeks, and even we terminally online car goons didn’t know just how egregiously he’d broadcast his brainrot to everybody

even if the Elon of 2014 and the Elon of today are really the same guy minus some mystery and he actually hasn’t gotten more reactionary in that decade, we certainly didn’t relate to him back then in the way we do now post-Twitter buy

Nah, he was always pretty sketchy, he's just more publicly so now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

See also virtually every photo of a Ukrainian soldier which somehow mysteriously contains at least one of very many well known nazi and nazi associated insignias and those in the comments saying 'well nazis appropriated lots of symbols, how can we be sure this isn't the original intent?' like the dumb motherfuckers they are. Blows my mind.

Mark Hamill recently having a cosy chat with Ukrainian operatives while a blood and soil flag with further nazi adjacent symbols sewn into it sits on the wall behind them was a big 'ol yikes too. :v:

The caveat is that Russia is literally coopting Nazi poo poo too, and employing a PMC specifically associated with Neo-Nazis. And started this entire war with literal 'blood and soil' ideas.

And by and large, Ukraine is not white supremacist and far more progressive than Russia is. The Neo-Nazi party in Ukraine is not popular and by and large lost all but a single seat in parliament, in fact most of them aligned with the Separatists during the 2014 Invasion and Azov was largely dissolved and reorganized as an actual Ukrainian unit. There's some sketchy symbolism going on, but its mostly being used as a way to handwave any of what Russia is doing, which is active genocide and murder.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 11, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Oof.
I don't like "both sides-ing", but when the shoe fits...

And there's a reason you shouldn't

quote:

Putin’s propaganda cherry-picks the problematic parts of Ukrainian civil society and government, Umland said.

“Far right extremists do exist in Ukraine,” he said. “The Ukrainians are not a nation of angels.” But Russian propaganda “gives the altogether minor Ukrainian right-wing extremist groups a disproportionate political relevance as an allegedly dominant phenomenon. In principle, you can do something like that with any country, make minor problematic aspects look salient and demonize every country of the world.”

“It’s a fairly obvious and rather successful political-psychological trick to justify the war among ordinary Russians,” Umland said.

Ukraine needs to deal with its far right groups, but it remains true that they are relatively insignificant portion of Ukraine's political and military forces. Whereas Russia is actively courting and promoting Far Right/Nazi groups. Russia has a much larger Nazi problem than Ukraine.

quote:

According to Mierzejewski-Voznyak, the profile of the far-right paramilitary groups also received “disproportionate media attention not only in Russia but also in the West. The impact of these and similar organizations on both Ukrainian politics and society has since been greatly exaggerated in Russian state media and also in some West European journalistic accounts.”

The Azov battalion, which has about 1,000 members, represents a small minority of the overall Ukrainian military. As the BBC reported, the Ukrainian armed forces number some 250,000, and the National Guard — of which Azov is a part — has around 50,000 members.

And some say the ultra-nationalist, neo-Nazi leanings of the Azov regiment have become less prevalent. In 2015, a spokesman for the Azov brigade told USA Today that 10% to 20% of the group’s members are Nazis. The leader of the Azov regiment, Biletsky, has since left to start a political party. And while there are still some far-right ties remaining in the unit, there have also been a flow of new recruits “who mostly are not there because of the regiment’s ideology, but because of its reputation as a particularly tough fighting unit,” Andreas Umland, an analyst at the Stockholm Centre for Eastern European Studies at the Swedish Institute of International Affairs, told us in a Skype interview.

American officials, however, remain wary of the group. For several years, U.S. appropriations bills have specifically prohibited military aid from going to Azov. For example, on March 10, the Senate finalized a spending bill that provides $13.6 billion in new aid for Ukraine but specifically states, “None of the funds made available by this Act may be used to provide arms, training, or other assistance to the Azov Battalion.”

https://www.factcheck.org/2022/03/the-facts-on-de-nazifying-ukraine/

Congrats, you spotted a swastika. That guys a piece of poo poo. But pretending its a huge issue is practically feeding the very propaganda Russia used to start this war in the first place.

You don't 'both sides' a genocidal action like what Russia is doing. Sorry. Russia is actively targeting civilians, joking AND acting on genocidal beliefs about Ukrainians, including murdering whole families, towns, and deporting Ukrainian children back to Russia to 're-educate' them while conducting ethnic cleansing.

You can readily identify people who need to be weeded out of Ukrainian society without doing a both sides, but by buying into the 'both sides' bullshit, you are also ignoring that, statistically, it isn't a both sides thing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 12, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

If you think 'car guys' are bad don't get into motos or truck and diesel bros.

Ugh, as a diesel guy: I hate diesel guys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

Oh gently caress, I don't put bumper stickers on my cars in general, but when they put a charger in at my local grocery store, every* greybeard gently caress in the area used it as an excuse to talk to me about owning an electric car, that somehow went from me talking about how much I loved it to "it sure is silly California's mandating them while they're having rolling brownouts! Hurrrfff durrrff huuuurr." I haven't had that much unwanted attention from old men since I rode a motorcycle to work in uniform every day, and got regaled with "I hadda one of them crotch rockets** when I was your age, did 250MPH on it one time and then realized I'd kill myself if I didn't sell it!"

*TBF, a few were genuinely curious, and we had nice conversations about range and charging and other EV stuff you don't see in magazines.

**An FZ6, outfitted for touring, is not a "crotch rocket" you stupid loving boomer.

Its one of those "The worst guy you know makes a great point" about California's rolling brownouts and their anti-nuclear stance, because to be blunt they are not wrong: adding hundreds of EV loads to the grid isn't a great idea given such.

But gently caress the assholes in the automotive world who hate on electric cars, even if they are not actually a great solution versus mass transit and rail. Electric cars are fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

i dont hate em, i just dont like em. especially with the whole self driving poo poo tesla is doing

Oh fully agree - self-driving is absolutely moronic and needs to be mandated out of existence by the NHTSA. Also - gently caress Tesla and their lovely build quality and white supremacist CEO.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

99% of the time it’s just a fig leaf on boring old climate denialism, they’re not actually interested in pursuing any better alternatives or even carving out a future where interested people can still hold onto gas cars for fun or preservation purposes by coming to the table in any meaningful way

the idea that a robust public transit system might benefit car enthusiasts in any single way, let alone several, doesn’t even begin to cross their mind, because their only idea of any solution to anything is rolling the policy clock back thirty five years

Oh, I'm aware. Doesn't mean that particular point is wrong. Hence the 'worst guy you know makes a great point' thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

It's more energy efficient to burn tons of coal in a massive power plant than burn mL's of gasoline in an ICE so I guess it evens out in the end. I don't mind if finding a gas station is like finding a kerosene pump in the future and gas is $19 a gallon, I just want to hear my engine make noise while I drive my garage queen

The problem is we need to stop doing both (at least stopping gas as the primary fuel of the road at least), and California falling back on Natural Gas as their main energy and shuttering good nuclear plants has been a massive boondoggle.

But yeah adopting Mass Transit would go a long way to making roads more enjoyable for leisure drivers.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’m sort of shocked the board at Tesla hasn’t ousted musk yet. The value his name brings has to have tanked, and he’s clearly making the dumbest or most racist decisions at every possible turn

He's entrenched himself like a tick unfortunately, and I don't know how loyal or disloyal the board is to him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Needs more Biodiesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

On one hand, I can respect not wanting it to taint your work with unfortunate political beliefs. On the other hand, it's becoming a question that being on the fence about is becoming less acceptable by the day

Yeah, its a matter of 'you can't be a moderate in the face of fascists' but so many of these guys know they'll lose a significant chunk of viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's the same thing with a lot of people who make videos about WW2. I was talking to an actual historian who specializes in WW2 a few years ago and he said he'd notice a small dip in subscribers whenever he posted a video about the myth of the "clean wehrmacht". He said it's unfortunate but he understands why a lot of people who rely on YouTube as their main source of income avoid topics that are controversial with "certain groups" because they'd lose a lot of their subscribers.

Yup, had the same issue - I'm a huge nut for German Tank design, and bringing it up in any sort of casual conversation can invite some unsavory characters.