Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Already mentioned, but Cutting Edge Engineering is a good machining channel. The guy does repairs on heavy mining equipment in Australia.

I like Autogefuhl, their reviews are very matter of fact and the main host, Thomas is incredibly German in his reviews. The only politics that come up are Thomas is a vegan, and he always mentions if a car interior is leather (animal skin) and says that he hopes manufacturers continue to come up with more leather alternatives.

I also like Authur Tussik. He's Russian who lives in Latvia and does auto body repairs. His videos are in Russian but he has English subtitles that I think are done with a translation program.

After the Russian invasion of Ukraine, he put out a video saying invading countries isn't a good idea and maybe we should talk to the people there first to find out if they really need help before we invade. Which, for a Russian living in Eastern Europe, is a pretty strong statement.

Changing topics slightly, I've had to leave several Discords and Whatsapp groups over the last few months as they were all slowly over run with alt-right idiots. New people were always slowly joining the channel but starting in the late spring they new members started injecting politics into every discussion, then throwing around "cuck", SJWs", and "Brandon". Soon people when people would post photos there would be a "Trump 2024" or a "Stop the Steal" sticker somewhere in the frame and the people in the photo would usually be posing with the "OK" hand gesture. When people would bring it up they 'd get made fun of for being a "triggered liberal". Eventually, most of the original members left the groups. In hind sight it was obviously all clearly preplanned to start out gradually and slowly ramp up the rhetoric.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ether Frenzy posted:

M359 Restorations has some pretty good BMW rebuilding material, and as far as I've noticed don't seem to be political at all/if so they are not blatant chuds. I've been watching their newest project of rebuilding a Silverstone II silver E92 M3 with a blown up crankshaft in the cylinders.
M539 is another good one. I’ve even been watching him for a year or two and he’s just all about the mechanical work.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I always found his "I'm just some just country bumpkin who's in way over his head" act really annoying.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I know a guy who runs an elevator and escalator repair business. He was saying the great thing is that almost all the work is overtime since it’s done after hours to minimize disruption and regardless of the economy, regular maintenance of elevators and escalators has to be done in order to keep them licensed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I used to watch Rich Rebuilds but posting more and more Leenda thirst trap clips and veering off into shitposting kind of turned me off. I guess he knows his audience as it seems to working for him but it's not my thing.

I don't know about any chiddiness but him and Steve make a lot of "X identifies as Y" type jokes or they say stuff like "you can't say that anymore, you'll get cancelled". It seems to be more generic "bro" humor.

mobby_6kl posted:

I watched a couple of his videos a while ago and they're like 30+ minutes but don't actually show or tell anything interesting. Dunno about his chudiness but I think he used to work for Tesla I think so that might've rubbed of on him a bit
I don't know about Rich, but I know a few of the guys he hired for his Electrified Garage chain worked for Telsa (until they were laid off). Steve used to (I don't know if he still does) work for some solar installers and he hosted a EV chat podcast that was basically Tesla fanboy chat.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think it's a zombie hitler :psyduck:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Oh this tattoo? It's German for "The Blacks".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Also lol at dying on the hill of “guys, maybe he wasn’t a nazi but was in fact a complete psychopath murderer???”
It’s really weird how many people are tripping over themselves to try and explain why he wasn’t a Nazi.

Ok Comboomer posted:

that’s because we’ve reached the point, post-Trump, where guys like Michael Tracey straight up call themselves poo poo like “fascist theocrat” in public
I’m really surprised how many normal (or so I thought) are defending Tracey saying stuff like “well he takes big swings and makes bold claims but they don’t always stick” or “he’s explaining that the guy was just a misanthrope and not technically a Nazi as defined by Webster’s Dictionary”.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It always makes me laugh how Hoovie, with all his money, bought an E66 B7 Alpina and ended up junking it because the couple of the cylinders were scored and the supercharger was leaking oil. Meanwhile, the M539 guy also bought an E66 B7 Alpina that had the same problems and ended up doing a complete engine rebuild (twice) and restored the car to showroom condition (even better since he had the car completely repainted and professionally polished). He got like twenty 45 minute youtube videos out of it.

H1KE posted:

E: Add Uncle Tony's Garage as one of the good ones after finding this one where he calls out The Black Ghost story, then makes a seriously heartfelt follow-up where he calls out people in the comments for making GBS threads on him calling him a racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLAv0RAXQQ
The more I read about the Black Ghost, the more it seems like it's a case of "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 14, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Munro did a Model 3 teardown where he criticized their production methods and build quality. He was also bearish on EVs and how long it would take them to match ICE vehicles. About a year later he hosted a discussion with Musk where they talked about production methods and the engineering behind Teslas. Since then Munro has been really pro Tesla and EVs in general.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Darchangel posted:

That in itself is a cut above the usual fascist BS. They just can't *resist* talking about it. If he is a Righty he's smarter than most.
People have asked him if he supports Trump on FB live videos and he always responds with something like "I don't like talking about politics" and then just continues on with whatever he was doing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its a matter of 'you can't be a moderate in the face of fascists' but so many of these guys know they'll lose a significant chunk of viewers.
It's the same thing with a lot of people who make videos about WW2. I was talking to an actual historian who specializes in WW2 a few years ago and he said he'd notice a small dip in subscribers whenever he posted a video about the myth of the "clean wehrmacht". He said it's unfortunate but he understands why a lot of people who rely on YouTube as their main source of income avoid topics that are controversial with "certain groups" because they'd lose a lot of their subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Door Frame posted:

Guderian was a rare, randomly generated name to get for elves in Warhammer TW, and the devs removed it recently with a note apologizing for not noticing it and getting rid of it sooner. The amount of people screaming about the injustice against the "not a Nazi" who was responsible for entrenching Nazi ideologies into every layer of the wehrmacht was surreal. Of course he said he wasn't a Nazi once the war was over, Nazis were being hunted down and killed
Whenever people do that "technically not a nazi" thing. I just say something like "Well they did whatever they could to support the goals of the nazis so they obviously agreed with them, otherwise they would have resigned their position". I usually get a "you don't understand" type reply. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯