Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Large Testicles posted:

He's definitely a chud but he seems to keep it out of his videos. Take that how you will.

Myself, a card carrying communist, still watches his videos because they're entertaining and there's nothing overtly political about him. Do I know just from watching him that he voted R? yeah but he doesn't seem like he'd shoot you for no reason. he's basically in the same camp as Cleetus to me.

This is what I was gonna say but better. He's like 90% of the car guys I grew up around in the ND/MN border area.

He's clearly doing a bit to some extent, and his overboard bootlicking at burnout competitions and poo poo gets tedious, but most of his actual content is pretty tame and fairly interesting/informative. He rides that bubble hard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

morothar posted:

Any thoughts on ViceGripGarage? The backdrop seems chuddy as all hell, but dude’s doing a great job at not offering a political view beyond “USA great” from the videos I’ve seen.

Seems very much stereotypical North Dakotan, which means he appears very unassuming, nice even, but makes it a very fine point to "not talk politics" (except for fervent nationalism and worship of veterans and police and hanging out with people with Trump poo poo plastered everywhere.)

The whole thing is wrapped up in cisheteronormative patriarchal pandering that makes it really transparent. It's really unfortunatel because he's fairly entertaining (because he reminds me of every domestic car geek I ever knew.)

Source: me--someone that spent their first 27 years in and around Fargo before moving to Chicago because it ain't safe being my queer rear end back home. (And of course Derek moved to somewhere somehow more conservative than ND.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get this, OTOH it's always sweet to watch him do road trips with his kids and reminds me of going with my dad to grandma and grandpa's house in his old '60s-'70s trucks. Also he reminds me of a real life Red Green but less ridiculous.

Yeah that's really it, though: as long as you're in their correctoy narrow band of "people who matter to me personally," your garden variety plains chud will never seem to be a bigot. Blood relative? Childhood friends? You're probably fine as long as you're not gay. But they will at every step support the politics that favor white Christian cis men above all else, even if they don't talk about it.

Like, I watch his stuff too, because he's probably the most accurate to my experience of growing up wrenching, but I know full well what the other side of that experience is like.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ok Comboomer posted:

fascism's return to America will be

Wait so... you DON'T think we're in the middle of an obvious and public fascist uprising? Like right now? And haven't been for the past decade or so?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ok Comboomer posted:

dogg we never left that. if you're under 50 you were born into it. or did you think three decades of New Labour and Third Way Dems was the Thatcher-Reaganites losing? It was their crowning achievement.

I meant like totally unchecked from any electoral accountability, of which we still arguably have a bit

Ah. So more of a fascist background radiation.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

This is some kind of test, isn't it

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tolerating chuds is how you get more chuds hth.

If you have one Nazi in your bar, you have a Nazi bar.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I dunno, man, "People who knowingly work with and enable Nazis are actually Nazis" seems pretty straightforward.

Because the people who knowingly work with and enable fascists are, in fact, just as bad as fascists. Because that's fascism.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

He's such a genuine, good dude. Watching him improve as a driver is one of my favorite parts of Donut.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Arson Daily posted:

Yet drives a Japanese car :magemage:

something something Axis

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

NitroSpazzz posted:

Matt's Offroad Recovery - chud or no? I know there's some insurance fraud but I watched the video of their Donut Media luxury RV recovery thing and now 1/4 of my feed is their videos.

Nothing outwardly chuddy in his content. Personally I've just sorta burned out on their content, and their crew changed over almost completely in the past year and it's just not as engaging as it used to be.

He is Mormon, though, so there a bit of Utah LDS conservative chud built in.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

H1KE posted:

Alex, and by extension Max and Peter from Legit Street Cars seem like OK guys. They've done some good stuff, helped people out and nothing really stands out as far as I've seen. Watching them rebuild stupidly complicated stuff step by step is interesting to me, even if he does have to do some shilling in the middle, but peeps gotta eat, so can't blame them for that. At least he doesn't have to do mobile game sponsors anymore and his Keeps sponsorship seems to have actually helped him regrow his bald patch.

There was a fair bit of kerfuffle when Peter left LSC, it seems like a pretty standard acrimonious split, but Peter has his own channel now and I'm probably gonna keep watching both. I think Alex seriously underestimated both how much the dynamic of the three of them helped the channel and how much his own BS in handling the split has messed up his rep (lawyering up for no real reason and basically memory-holing Peter when it comes to video comments.)

That said, that's all drama and not really lovely chud behavior beyond standard capitalist rear end in a top hat poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Darchangel posted:

I can't never post this one:

but a new contender has come to light:

bonus:

Best is still "Snakes Can't Actually Do This"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Ryan f9 I'm pretty sure recently mentioned being Jewish in a video and has referenced some pretty progressive views in a handful of videos in the past as well.

Jewish guy who bikes as his daily commute a lot of the time (pedal bikes) in Vancouver means he's probably ok until proven otherwise.

Alex from lsc used to be a Chicago pd squad car mechanic and has said a few pro police things but I definitely do not think he's a chud maybe just a moderate which is fine by me. Think the guy from warped perception is the same way. Chicago is pretty blue.

LSC is in the burbs, which are a mixed bag.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Never trust goons, especially ones that use a z.

What about goonce?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Was super unhappy to see one of those drat stickers on Thecraig909's laptop a couple weeks back. I shouldn't be surprised--he's in San Diego, clearly pretty well off, white, got that general vibe and an unhealthy obsession with NASCAR aesthetics, and he makes a questionable joke or vocabulary choice in almost every video--but I'm still sad. The content is usually pretty good, and it's nice to have someone that does old-school Ford stuff.

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mr. Apollo posted:

Whenever people do that "technically not a nazi" thing. I just say something like "Well they did whatever they could to support the goals of the nazis so they obviously agreed with them, otherwise they would have resigned their position". I usually get a "you don't understand" type reply. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Apollo posted:

He said it's unfortunate but he understands why a lot of people who rely on YouTube as their main source of income avoid topics that are controversial with "certain groups" because they'd lose a lot of their subscribers.

🤔🤔🤔