Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I started rolling back my follows on Freiburger just because I got tired of all of his whataboutism on EVs. I don't think I saw anything full on problematic, just... dense.

He posted stuff on his Instagram a few years back about the Reagan years being the 'good years' or something, but apart from that I don't think he's publicly said anything else particularly heinous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Whilst I understand the horrible position marginalised groups are in, herein lies the problem if we start going down the rabbithole of "corporations are evil and do evil things" - is there even such as thing as an ethical manufacturer of murder weapons?

You don't need to dig that far.

As 22 Eargesplitten already mentioned, there's a difference between 'someone makes something ethically dubious' and 'someone makes something ethically dubious while funding, platforming, and espousing generally hateful content towards the sheer existence of certain people'.

Just because there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism or w/e doesn't mean that there aren't choices people can make as consumers to at least have their own pocket money not going towards people who are going to use it for things they find despicable.
Like... if someone came out and said the owners of Rock Auto were all major donors to far right politicians who were actively campaigning to put trans folk in prison, or that Akira Nakai/RWB was deep into far right Japanese politics and has gone on record denying the existence of comfort women or whatever... Then you don't need to go 'but they're all involved in the automotive hobby, which is contributing to the obsession of private car ownership and rapidly accelerating us towards environmental collapse due to global warming', you can just. Call them lovely people, stop buying from or promoting them, and move on.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Mentioned this friend's channel before, he's not automotive on this content, but it's still stuff that most AI people find interesting and he knows more about cars and how they work than I do.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE5dIscvDxrb7CD5uiJJOiw

He's as far from a chud as anyone I've ever met.

...Wait really? I've watched Adrian's videos pretty much since his first forays into 'I bought an old computer' got recommended to me and I don't think I've ever heard him say anything about cars.

I feel like he maybe had some videos about his car from before when his channel was just random uploads, but they all seemed like DIY type stuff.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mike Rowe was just on sundae conversation and trotted out the old "THERE ARE SO MANY JOBS TODAY BUT NOBODY WANTS TO WORK" republican classic from the last couple years

That's always been his line. The entire point of Dirty Jobs was 'hey look at all these jobs that nobody wants because they're ~real work~'.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

IDK if it actually means anything but on Finnegan's most recent video he got a signed NOFX flag from a fan that he was stupid happy about and was like, "They're one of my favorite bands."

It could totally be a "RATM is my favorite band" from Paul Ryan thing but I'd like to think good things about Finn.

he grew up in southern california during the 90s

he's basically legally obligated to like punk/pop punk