Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

1) Support any claims you make.

2) Spell out very clearly why you think they're lovely. State the obvious

5) Avoid purity tests and witch hunts.

I think these are very important to remember and while the thread is very new there's a few posts that kinda skate the line a little for me. I mean it's up to you if you don't want to watch someone because they voted right (Hoovie) but that's getting pretty close to a purity test. Matt Farrah another good example, you can find quotes of him on his podcast saying nice things about the cops he's worked with shutting down roads for filming - that doesn't make him a bootlicker. Thin Blue Line poo poo? That's a different story. Being wealthy and white like Matt doesn't make you a chud. Being a strongly opinionated journo like Camissa doesn't either. gently caress, I'll even give Cleetus a *very slight* pass over putting events on during a pandemic, because he lives in a state where the govt and media was telling everyone it's fine, we're open for business, go ahead and put events on. There's plenty of way more lovely stuff he's done.

Let's stick to provable chud/lovely behaviour, and also avoid just speculating or throwing names out. If they're lovely, they'll come up. Edit: I shouldn't have to say this, but also it shouldn't be a "that dude is annoying" thing either. Plenty of people don't like Demuro's style. That's fine. This shouldn't be the place for that.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ferremit posted:

I can’t say I’ve ever seen them go off on a rant about politics or any poo poo like that in their social media or YouTube, so I dunno what the relevance of the stickers actually are?

When anyone does this with progressive values like displaying a rainbow flag or BLM or whatever, those sort of people complain about virtue signalling. It's exactly the same behaviour, only a problem when other people do it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, with how many LGBT people are in TFR there's a big element of "I need things like these people sell to protect me from these exact same people who think that I should die for how I was born." Which is why that thread tries to find non-lovely companies, or at least not vocally lovely companies.

Whilst I understand the horrible position marginalised groups are in, herein lies the problem if we start going down the rabbithole of "corporations are evil and do evil things" - is there even such as thing as an ethical manufacturer of murder weapons?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Toyota, upset that their BEV strategy is so dismal, choosing to heavy the UK govt by threatening to shut down manufacturing if they go ahead with hybrid ban in 2035.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/30/toyota-warns-government-may-stop-manufacturing-uk-bans-hybrid/

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BigPaddy posted:

The UK government will pay because there are no British mass manufacturers anymore only Japanese, German (Mini) and Stellantis who have plants in the country. I guess Ford have a Diesel engine plant in Dagenham still there unless that closed in the last decade. Lots of small sports car and super car manufacturers which is what counts right?

I assume that the Tories can find a way to spin it as "levelling up" to only sell exclusive high dollar sports cars to rich people, not gross hatchbacks for poors.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

UK are quite fine with leaving without planning, not sure how Toyota can win this?

Yeah best case they're left selling hybrids while buyers all want EV's??

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1555316106960769024

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Lotta good stuff here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The big issues is that lets say if I did a series on say restoring a rare MY2000 Clubspec EVO4 WRX - which I am contemplating because that car is going to be a lot of interesting work - is that unless you are say MCM you have to combat the algorithm and that means mostly being the same lovely spam that yooootooobers vomit out because thats what will get pushed to people. MCM have been around so long the algorithm barely matters and also they have daytime jobs so Youtube can be a passion project and they can do whatever they want as getting the youtube bucks doesnt matter to them.

While there's a lot of stuff you have to do to feed the algo (Like and subscribe! The Youtuber shocked face thumbnails etc, which Matt Farah mentioned can *double* his views), those are more about driving engagement, which pleases the algo and keeps your video getting pushed to both your subscribers and new viewers. The algo doesn't like human faces in thumbnails - the actual humans doing the clicking do because we're dumb animals, which means engagement which means better promotion from the algo. It's the same reason we put humans using the product in ads, they do better than just images of the product. Like and subscribe is the "call to action", oh hey now you're engaging again.

The 'same lovely spam' thing applies to the content choices you make in order to attract viewers, hence "Buying and fixing the cheapest Lambo on Co-part" - those get clicks not because of the algo, but because every chucklefuck with a socket set thinks "hey maybe I could do that too". That's more about firstly building your channel, but then the next problem you hit is that your viewers came to you because you're the fixing supercars guy. On boat channels you see a similar thing, people subscribe for the dude fixing his boat on the hard, but once the fixing is done and you're off sailing, those people didn't come to watch you sail the Caribbean. Hence the proliferation of "secondary channels", because doing anything other than what your regular content is pisses off your viewers, which means what? They engage less, so the algo frowns upon you. Again, Farah has given several examples of stuff that tanks his numbers - motorbikes, cars on track in particular. Different length videos even! If all your videos are 10mins, suddenly you do a 20min video? No good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also to do a series that will be interesting takes a lot of work to plan, script, film, edit and publish, of which can be several hours and that's not even the hour or so just it'll take me to start the car and get it into the garage to even start the project. Sure I could dash off 10 mins of gonzo footage that would be decently shot because I have photo and video skills but it would be boring as gently caress and who the hell wants to listen to some dickhead trying to come up with witty banter on the fly? SuperFastMatt spends hours/days coming up with his stuff to voiceover. Lord knows how much time Project Binky takes to film and edit.

On top of all the creativity and skill that goes into ALL of the parts of filming it, you've actually got to have a personality too. Say what people will about the current Youtubers, like them or hate them, they've all mostly got strong personalities. You've got to be ON, I'm not interested in some goon droning on as they fight rusted bolts for hours, the quiet unassuming guys have to be REALLY skilled technically, or interesting in *some way*. Look at Skid Factory Al - most of the time his quiet demeanour wouldn't be a recipe for success, but he builds interesting as gently caress poo poo, knows what the hell he's talking about, and he IS a funny guy, he's quiet but not devoid of personality. Plus he's got Woody to bounce off. I'm not saying everyone has to be Richard Rawlins BIG, but it goes a long way. Demuro might be irritating but he's also the only guy who deep dives into all the little 'quirks and features' that literally no one else does. That's interesting in its own way.

As for time - conservative estimates say it doubles the time, probably even more when you're new. That's why the Irish dude who stop motioned his builds was so mindblowing, I think he estimated it at least quadrupled his time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Another point is something Roman Atwood bought up while doing a podcast with Cleetus is that controversy sells the clicks. poo poo like Whistin Dickhead are cancer but it undeniably gets the clicks. You can have the best script, camerawork and editing with best music etc and will still likely go nowhere. Start a fight with a restaurant and watch that take off.

Yup. Sure, some guys get lucky, some guys have one video go viral and it builds from there, others are smart businessmen and manage to stumble into fantastic opportunities (Cleetus a mix of that, first with the throwaway Cleetus character going big, then being in the right time and place to pick up the Freedom Factory which had the added bonus of hitting the "abandoned thing* subject, which is also a popular click grabbing subject), others have just been years of grind, others are rich kids (Some might put Shmee in this category but I highly recommend the interview he did with Jonny Smith, he grew up privileged but not supercar wealthy, he's built his fortunes through hard work and smart money management), and yet others are Whistlin Diesel.

Going back to MCM for a second, I'd suggest the other reason apart from dayjobs they can care less about the algo is they (like an increasing amount of others) have built other income streams and aren't as reliant on straight ad-rev, so merch, big sponsorships (Supercheap in MCM's case, regular ad-reads in others) and the like. The merch numbers I've seen implied for big channels are impressive - one single run of a particular print funding an entire build even.

Long story short it's hard work and a grind even for people experienced in traditional media production.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yes but so is the idea of a few cities being able to dictate everything to everyone else living in places of which they have no understanding.

Don't think I exclude myself, I don't know what it's like to live in even a city as big as Denver, let alone SD/SF/LA.

But the opposite of that is OK?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The week where everyone's dunking on the UK for their monarchy and weird traditions associated with it, and here we are getting reminded that the pledge of allegiance is a thing :buddy:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mobby_6kl posted:

Ethan working on cars is great. Except for the parts where they bully him.

I enjoy these guys too, their longer format films like recent multi-day road trips and car vs X are usually decent.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Don't get me wrong, I think the dudes a fuckwit and I don't care for mindless destruction either, but it's a little weird seeing people be precious about a few Hilux's. They've built almost 20 million of them and they're being run into the ground around the world every day.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Megan is kryptonite to the right kind of boomer media twat, for example Piers Morgan, Clarkson.... and well, literally the entire British media who take their orders from those same kind of twats.

How much of it is to do with her being an outspoken female and how much of it is down to her skin colour is left to the readers judgement.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Large Testicles posted:

I’m talking about non medical people who have a PhD and insist on being called doctor and are like “I didn’t spend 10 years in school to be called Mister.” They can go gently caress themselves. You’re not special.

By all means, when this type of dickhead is out the gate and going off on one, by all means tell them "Sir, this is a Wendy's", but otherwise it's entirely possible to hate people who do this, and also agree that there are times and places (professional and academic) where those titles matter.

There might be a medical doctor directing your cancer treatment, but it took someone with an engineering PhD to develop radiotherapy machines, MRI's etc.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

I too quit watching Clarkson after he punched the cook.

Not that it really matters but it was a producer not a cook.

Whoever above said blue collar vs white collar is feeding into bullshit class definitions is right. Another one that irritates me is the line between "worker" and "management", and how firm a line is often drawn between the two. I'm expected to believe that I dunno, a team leader with about 5 more responsibilities than a team member and no real decision making power at all is just as management/ruling class as the billionaire who owns the company? That's dumb as poo poo too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-nazi-past-continental-tires/a-54719878

OK, not unusual, German companies working with the Nazis....

quote:

An especially gruesome part of the report details how Continental's rubber shoe soles were tested at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin.

Prisoners were forced to march 30 to 40 kilometers (19 to 25 miles) per day around the camp's courtyard to the sound of German marching songs — any prisoners who slowed down or fell were executed by the camp's SS guards.

Continental also ordered special tests involving forced marches on the snow and ice, with many prisoners marching without socks and some walking up to 2,200 kilometers.

:gonk:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ok Comboomer posted:

speaking of Hagerty:

I mean....they're not wrong?
https://theconversation.com/austeri...ure-cuts-192033

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ahhhh cool.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
There are some Nazis in Ukraine. It's OK to support Ukraine and still hate Ukrainian Nazis, it just seems that some people have some cognitive problem with finding themselves on the same side of an issue as some Nazis, in this one particular limited situation.

To use the "Nazis drinking in a bar" situation - for Ukrainians, the most pressing issue is getting the Russians bounced from the bar first before they murder everyone, dealing with the Nazis can come later.

None of this is without precedent; after all, the West hated commies, but they were helping us with the Nazi problem, so that was OK. Then once that little shindig was done, we welcomed in a bunch of Nazi scientists and such, because they were going to help us with the commies now.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I'm sure the OP was just crackin' wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
In addition, while some find it fun to say cities to export their pollution to where coal plants are, lots of those cities also bear the brunt of the import export industry, supplying goods to and from those coal plant towns too, e.g. the rates of respiratory illness in low socio economic areas surrounding ports like LA. We're all in it together.