Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Wow, I'm really glad someone made this thread. Thanks OP. It's important to know the background of the various personalities and brands that come together to weave the beautiful tapestry that is our hobby - burning petrolium byproducts for fun. (EV Megathread folx - you're good, you can leave now!! #musk #elon #lmfao)

It's like, one hundred degrees Fahrenheit in my apartment right now which seems unusual but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm really more sad that Richard Brunning of Project Binky is apparently an idiot :( I can't believe it, and I'm unsubscribing from his channel which is praxis. This is very disturbing, because based on his extensive documented history of riding bicycles and participating in local LGBTQ+ xeriscaped low-water community gardens I thought he was different. Sigh. I guess completely insane automotive builds that utilize a shitton of raw materials for no other reason than the builder's OCD and youtube revenue are actually bad, because *checks notes* uhhh noted shitgoblin Kyle Rittenhouse.

:siren:Richard Brunning Status::siren: CHUD

OK, thankfully we're beyond that. Excellent work y'all, I appreciate you. Definitely will never watch his channel again after this project is completed because what the actual gently caress.

While we're on the subject of assholes in the automotive industry, I feel that there are a few others who have flown under the radar for too long becuase of decorum and systemic racism. We'll start with the obvious option, Mercedes-Benz:

For fucks sake, do I need to say more? Mercedes has never issued an apology for their involvement in the greatest mass murder of all time but if they did, I would still not purchase one of their vehicles. Mostly because I can't afford one but also because gently caress. them. (those blackout headlight covers are sick though :ssh:) There's also documentation that they used MercBenz panzer/tank engines to pump carbon monoxide (CO) into the gas chambers which if true then holy poo poo?? why are they still allowed to sell cars what the actual gently caress??

:siren:Mercedes Benz status::siren: CHUD

Next, and since we're here, I feel like we need to move across the oceans to Every Japanese Car Company Who Was Around Circa 1940-1974 ( the last soldier to surrender ). I'm not completely sure of their individual involvement in the war efforts, but it's not my job to educate you and it's pretty obvious that Mitsubishi Zeros killed a lot of American GIs due to cowardly suicide attacks and I'm pretty sure Toyota was involved at some time or another. They probably made lovely little Jeep ripoffs that could easily be defeated with a Thompson SMG or a pineapple grenade because the entire chassis was made out of hanzo bullshit folded steel. Oh, and they also were complicit in Unit 731 which is a horrifying look into the devaluation of human life commonly seen in, oh, *checks notes* the entirety of the alt-right playbook.

:siren:Japanese Manufacturers Status::siren: CHUD

While googling and lolling I found this photo of Imperial Japanese Emporer Hirohito in a Rolls-Royce, which really speaks for itself (I'm not sure what brand the motorcycles are, but I'm guessing they might be Harley - Davidson... not sure if they are involved in any problematic activity?? [placeholder]):

:siren:Rolls-Royce status::siren: CHUD

If you thought these images were horrifying, I have some great news - there's more, and they were distributed around our fuckworld nation en masse as recently as a few years ago. Hell... there's people on this dead gay forum who still maintain and drive vehicles built by these misogynists today:

:siren:AMC Status::siren: CHUD (any Gremlin drivers on this forum are showing their whole rear end; much like this chick)

:siren:Honda Status: :siren: CHUD :wtc:

:siren:FIAT Status::siren: CHUD

I can't even. Time to take a break from the internet, but after I immediately come back I will do a deep-dive on 1960s American muscle car advertising and how it relates to the Supreme Court decisions and Nik Blackhurst's usage of the phrase "tea kettle". :rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I saw the RN post as a pretty decently done troll that had a point wrapped in it, which is why they just got troll tolled rather than being told off for being a dick. That point they were making in part is something that I think has been said as a concern a couple of times re: witch-hunts and low vs high effort.

It's this - I will admit I think these Threads In Which We Spin In Circles Screaming Chud at everyone are rather silly, and get witchhunty fast until we're not supposed to watch any youtube channels at all (and by my troll point, not enjoy any cars either), but I understand what they're trying to accomplish. I'm not right wing/conservative, I loathe Trump with a passion lol.

Sorry I didn't make it to Ford or Volkswagen - got sidetracked by sexist vintage car advertising and suddenly realized I had to work in the morning. Vodka isn't good for my sense of time.

Been awhile since I had a good probe, thanks for being fair CAT :cheers:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

MetaJew posted:

This, and also them jumping in to give Rittenhouse a T-shirt and some sort of support, at least initially. I'm sure they've done more.

There's a pretty interesting article NYT published on BRCC if anyone missed it at the time. No, they didn't give Rittenhouse a T-shirt, and according to one of the founders lost thousands of subscribing customers with their unwillingness to support him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/magazine/black-rifle-coffee-company.html. If you get paywalled try this link

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

There's a pretty interesting article NYT published on BRCC if anyone missed it at the time. No, they didn't give Rittenhouse a T-shirt, and according to one of the founders lost thousands of subscribing customers with their unwillingness to support him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/magazine/black-rifle-coffee-company.html. If you get paywalled try this link

I'll also note that early in the pandemic Mat Best did a catchy song promoting quarantining and social distancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xpRZITi2w

That vid was pretty widely circulated amongst the gun crowd at the time. Yeah, they're not all wearing N95s or full goony respirators but I think it was a fairly alright take on things at the time, audience considered. I know I'm coming across as some sort of Black Rifle Coffee apologist, but I've never once drank their swill and have no plans to start. I just think they get a ton of poo poo thrown their way because of assault rifle 15 and the obvious assholes who buy and rep their merch.