Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I assume I can safely dump Malik Willis now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Poque posted:

I assume I can safely dump Malik Willis now.

Trade him for a 2026 4th if someone will bite

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Sataere posted:

If you have Lamar and Mahomes, you will never be in a full rebuild. Just focus on building up your depth.

Football Absurdity discord lol.

Anthony Richardson and Bryce Young are basically tied for consensus number one quarterback by most people I follow. Some people are also bumping Gibbs over Stroud based on his draft capital. To me, everything from 1.07 to the back of the second is very flat. There's a ton of depth this class, but limited star power.

I know goons hated AR's college tape, but I honestly think his ceiling is insane. When I was watching his tape, I thought he made good decisions and had great pocker presence. His athleticism is undeniable. His only real flaw was his passing, which is a big one. But he has the same OC Hurts had when he made strides and if he puts in the work, that is his ceiling. The rushing upside alone might increase his floor. Richardson also ended up in the best situation of the top three to succeed by far, which I think is an important part of quarterback evaluation. AR gets to play with Jonathan Taylor, Michael Pittman, and Alec Pierce. Jelani Woods showed a ton his rookie year and they drafted another talented receiver in Downs.

Bryce Young is the best quarterback in this class by far, but I am terrified of his size. He could easily be a broken man in three years regardless of his ability. He's also got a strong coaching staff around him and they drafted Marvin Mims to help him.

CJ Stroud is the best blend of floor and ceiling. He was my number one quarterback in this class because I don't think he was that far off from Young at quarterbacking, but he has an actual NFL body. His downfield accuracy is sublime and I find that to be a great indicator for NFL success. And people still don't seem to understand how the Ohio State offense works and want to penalize quarterbacks for holding the ball and trying to make big plays. The reason he has dropped to three and the thing that scares me about him is he ended up in the worst location of the three. The Texans seemingly ignored the offense after taking him and don't have a lot of parts to work with.

An argument can be made for any of those guys going number one. And an argument can be made that Bijan should be drafted ahead of all of them regardless of SuperFlex. I've been raving about Bijan for weeks. I haven't loved a running back coming out of college this much since CMC and honestly, I think I like Bijan more. There is an element of power to Bijan's game that CMC never had.

I'm also thrilled that Gibbs went top twelve because I had him pegged as an elite talent, so it is nice to see that Brad Holmes agreed with me. That draft capital definitely pushes him up where an argument can me made for him going earlier than the 1.05. He was between 1.05 and 1.06 before the draft, but I think that puts him squarely ahead of JSN.

Those are my thought off the top of my head. I'm writing rookie roundups for all the teams over the next month, so I'll basically have thought on every drafted player at some point. I'm halfway through my tape grades.

This is very helpful, thanks. Also the work all you guys do on Football Absurdity is fantastic

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MakaVillian posted:

This is very helpful, thanks. Also the work all you guys do on Football Absurdity is fantastic

Appreciate it. :D

I don't understand why Hyatt wasn't rated higher by NFL teams. His tape just loving pops. When you are the most explosive athlete on the field against SEC teams and just constantly score, who the gently caress cares what offense you came from. Teach him an NFL route tree. The fact that Daboll drafted him makes me think he's gonna be an absolute stud. Might be my favorite receiver in this class.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gonna reply to your Colts take here because I think the fantasy outlook is more interesting than whether they get 4 or 9 wins on the back of a poo poo division. It’s always good to be reminded that people, even very smart people, are wrong about football all the time. I and many others thought the Seahawks had a chance to go winless last year with Geno or Lock at the helm and they made the playoffs LMFAO. Nobody wanted Lockett, you could get him in the millionth round, and he had a great year. DK fell too. I also drafted many Broncos and loving WELP.

So yeah I will be taking some shots on Colts and other “dude that team is obviously going to be awful” guys this year if they fall deep into the draft. Because we will be wrong about situations. It’s not the likely outcome but at some point the opportunity cost is minimal. So take the shot on the guy you believe can ball vs the boring floor of Latavius Murray.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah like I said, i get why college fans are low on him. But I do a bunch of fantasy football film review and I decided after I kept quiet about how much I loved Mahomes in threads for fear of looking like an idiot because I also understood the risks with him as a prospect too, to just say gently caress it and plant my flags.

I loved Richardson's pocket awareness and decision making. I said all along this quarterback class was being underrated and he's still my number three, but if he puts in the work, he could be Cam 2.0. And he has the right coaching staff to develop him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Respect planting flags on guys. I remember watching Mahomes college tape and thinking “this guy is an utter psychopath, if he tries these back foot fadeaway jump shots into coverage with 2 pass rushers in his face in the nfl he will have a 25:1 INT:TD ratio”. And uh well turns out he is the one being in the universe with the power to just loving do it :stare:

So I’m not gonna count out the absurd athlete anymore

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Since Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts, I am more forgiving of accuracy issues. Coaching is a lot better today if you put in the work. Process and pocket presence is just as important to me and he just looked good at everything except throwing the football. Which is why he's still my third fantasy quarterback in dynasty rookie drafts. Production actually is King because I will always grade you higher if you've shown you can do it as opposed to having the potential.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Have any of you guys done a Dispersal Draft in a dynasty league before? I've been looking to join a new non-Best Ball dynasty league since I already do all the work I do to keep my current dynasty team going so I'm joining this pre-existing Superflex PPR league that just lost two people. The other new guy and I are going to do a dispersal draft to take our pick of players and draft picks from the two teams whose managers left the league. The commish just sent me this so I can see what to expect:
Dispersal Draft Notable Players
Justin Jefferson
Kyler
Mixon
Hollywood
Dulcich
Meyers
Pacheco
Akers
Dobbins
Stafford
Javonte
Burrow
Dalvin
Chubb
Hopkins
Kelce
Conner
Kupp
Rodgers
Sutton

If i pick first I think I'm taking JJ but after that I have no freakin' clue what I'd do - the vast majority of those players are either old or on bad teams. It should be fun and I am certain I wont have a ton of regrets when I gently caress it up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Respect planting flags on guys. I remember watching Mahomes college tape and thinking “this guy is an utter psychopath, if he tries these back foot fadeaway jump shots into coverage with 2 pass rushers in his face in the nfl he will have a 25:1 INT:TD ratio”. And uh well turns out he is the one being in the universe with the power to just loving do it :stare:

So I’m not gonna count out the absurd athlete anymore

I remember reading a ton of hot takes that Mahomes was a turnover machine because nobody took into account the number of pass attempts and the ratio he had was really low in college and still is today.

He throws more than Aaron Rodgers but it's still low for the insane poo poo he attempts. He's going to usher in a giant pool of young QBs who loving suck trying to do what he does which is break every rule of quarterbacking with his un-human body. Kids sprinting left and then side-arming a pass to the opposite side of the field and pick sixes are going to skyrocket.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Have any of you guys done a Dispersal Draft in a dynasty league before? I've been looking to join a new non-Best Ball dynasty league since I already do all the work I do to keep my current dynasty team going so I'm joining this pre-existing Superflex PPR league that just lost two people. The other new guy and I are going to do a dispersal draft to take our pick of players and draft picks from the two teams whose managers left the league. The commish just sent me this so I can see what to expect:
Dispersal Draft Notable Players
Justin Jefferson
Kyler
Mixon
Hollywood
Dulcich
Meyers
Pacheco
Akers
Dobbins
Stafford
Javonte
Burrow
Dalvin
Chubb
Hopkins
Kelce
Conner
Kupp
Rodgers
Sutton

If i pick first I think I'm taking JJ but after that I have no freakin' clue what I'd do - the vast majority of those players are either old or on bad teams. It should be fun and I am certain I wont have a ton of regrets when I gently caress it up.

Since it's superflex, I would probably take Burrow next, then some order of Chubb, Dobbins, and Akers. Or Hopkins/Kelce if you're competing this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People are still drafting Akers?

...huh.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

People are still drafting Akers?

...huh.

Well in this case it sounds like he had already been drafted in a prior year and is just in the pool of dudes who have to be split up from the teams disbanding

Pro: he is like the only running back on the Rams so opportunity should be there
Cons: washed, bad

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

dispersal draft [in superflex dynasty PPR league]
1) Justin Jefferson, Burrow
2) Kyler
3) 1.02 (draft a QB, JSN/Gibbs, or trade down to 1.06 with someone who needs a QB)
4) [win now players] Chubb/Kelce (trade away for younger player + 2024 1st to a contender if you want a younger team)
5) [win now players] Cooper Kupp
6) Rodgers (if you drafted Jefferson + 1 QB, you might need to take Arodg earlier)
7) [win now players] Dalvin, Mixon (same deal, trade away for younger player + 2024 1st if you want a younger team)
***** HUGE PRODUCTION DROP PAST THIS TIER
8) Pacheco, 2.02
9) Hollywood, Meyers, [win now players] Hopkins (recurring hamstring injury keeps him off the field when not taking steroids...)
10) Stafford
11) Dobbins, Akers, Javonte
12) Dulcich (I kinda like him, he's basically a WR and got done in by injuries end of season; having a real head coach will help), Sutton, Conner
13) 3.02

Is roughly how I'd rank them; adjust as needed, as I didn't put too much thought into this. Numbers = tier, players within tiers ranked in order presented.

Your best strategy is probably to draft a win-now team and rebuild after 1-2 seasons around your long-term assets, i.e. QBs + young WRs. Other option is to trade away the studs (Chubb/Kelce) and slightly less productive studs (Kupp, Cook, Mixon). Trade them for undervalued players (eg Pittman, Bateman, Aiyuk if you can land him) + 2023/2024 1st or 2nd (can negotiate down, but start high). Trading will depend on the other teams in the league. If they overvalue picks (ie like the KTC trade calculator), trade picks for solid veteran players with 2-3 years left in the tank. If they overvalue players, trade studs (Kelce/Chubb) for picks + younger players. Identify teams lacking QBs and offer them bad deals with the justification that drafted QBs bust at an incredibly high rate.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

If Superflex, I probably rank Burrow ahead of JJ. Just because the positional advantage is significant when you have a top five guy. After JJ, I want 1.02 , then Kyler. I think the key is to figure out if you are trying to win now or in the future. If you want to build for the future, focus on guys under 30 and receivers. Otherwise, just build the best roster you can. How the other team drafts would have a big impact on my strategy. If I see him grabbing Kelce early, I focus on young value that can develop. If Kelce is there by my fifth pick, I immediately go into trying to win now.

If you get 1.02 and Bijan falls to you, just grab him. You'll be able to flip him for 2 firsts and a player within a year regardless of your long term strategy. If he doesn't, take the best quarterback you can get.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

van fem posted:

<feedback>

Sataere posted:

<feedback>

Thank you gentlegoons! I think between looking at last year's production, Sleeper's startup ADP, and player age/productivity I feel like I can figure it out. I'm leaning building for the future because I know I'm going to have a bunch of players I will try to trade away both before and after the rookie draft. I already have a share of Burrow on my other dynasty roster so I think I give JJ a slight edge. If he takes JJ first and I end up with picks 2 and 3 I'm going Burrow & 1.02.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Thank you gentlegoons! I think between looking at last year's production, Sleeper's startup ADP, and player age/productivity I feel like I can figure it out. I'm leaning building for the future because I know I'm going to have a bunch of players I will try to trade away both before and after the rookie draft. I already have a share of Burrow on my other dynasty roster so I think I give JJ a slight edge. If he takes JJ first and I end up with picks 2 and 3 I'm going Burrow & 1.02.

Having an excuse to root for JJ is never a bad thing. I wish I had a share.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sataere posted:

Having an excuse to root for JJ is never a bad thing. I wish I had a share.
My thoughts exactly. I ended up with picks 2&3 so I went with JJ and rookie draft pick 1.02.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sorry for the double post - has anybody heard anything about Javonte Williams and his knee? I feel like him in a Sean Payton offense will be good.... in 2024. The picks went:
- Joe Burrow to him
- JJ and 1.02 in the rookie draft to me
- Kyler and Travis Kelce to him
now I'm up. Looking at dynasty Superflex startup draft rankings, I could go for two of Kupp/Chubb/Cook/Mixon to try compete this year, or I could reasonably go Jameson Williams and Javonte Williams to lean fully into "build for the future".

edit: If I go for the Williamses I guess I'll be tanking.... for (Caleb) Williams :haw:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 5, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m scared of Javonte’s season mirroring JK Dobbins last year. Where he’s “looking great and ahead of schedule” and then doesn’t do poo poo until like week 14. He’s a risky click this far out from the regular season if you are hoping for 2023 value. Conversely I am excited about Samaje Perine.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Javonte basically destroyed everything in his knee. I was worried that he isn't going to he the same when he recovers, so I traded him for a 2024 1st round pick. That being said, he is only like 22 years old and his upside is still huge. I wasn't going to sell him for less, if I couldn't get a 1st for him I was totally fine with holding on to him.

Also, I haven't kept up on Dobbins recovery since I don't have any shares in him, but as far as I know he seems to be doing good with his recovery, so it's not unreasonable to be optimistic about Javonte.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Docjowles posted:

I’m scared of Javonte’s season mirroring JK Dobbins last year. Where he’s “looking great and ahead of schedule” and then doesn’t do poo poo until like week 14. He’s a risky click this far out from the regular season if you are hoping for 2023 value. Conversely I am excited about Samaje Perine.
Yeah if I take Javonte (injury) and Jameson Williams (suspended) I'm not looking for 2023 value, hence the bad joke about tanking for Caleb.

Funnily enough, JK Dobbins is available as well but I was going to wait another round, maybe 2, to consider him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 5, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dobbins could be sneaky.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

Dobbins could be sneaky.
I decided to go with Kupp (too good to not take) and Javonte (I like him a lot). My hope being that the other guy skips Jameson Williams because he is suspended and I can nab him next round, along with JKD.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is DJ Moore worth 2.05 in a dynasty rookie draft? I desperately need a third starting wr

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Yes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drunk Nerds posted:

Is DJ Moore worth 2.05 in a dynasty rookie draft? I desperately need a third starting wr
If you get DJ Moore for 2.05 I'm going to be so freakin' jealous.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

Are you trading the 2.05? Because I would smash that for DJM. I wouldn't trade him for that. I think he's worth a late first personally. I may he biased though. :v:

I decided to go with Kupp (too good to not take) and Javonte (I like him a lot). My hope being that the other guy skips Jameson Williams because he is suspended and I can nab him next round, along with JKD.

If you are tanking, I like the strategy. Kupp is still super young. Plus, JJ, Kupp is a dynamic receiving core. I'd fade most running backs because they have a shorter shelf life.

It is also worth noting I just did a rookie roundup on the Baltimore Ravens and I don't think JK Dobbins is going to be very valuable. Monken doesn't run the ball. He slings it.

Wide receivers are way more valuable in dynasty because they have a longer shelf life, so my next round targets if I'm you is Hollywood and Jamo. Then I'm looking at the 2.03 because this is a pretty interesting second round and you can get some nice value. I'd also be really interested in Dulcich for youth and tanking purposes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

+1 to everyone else, I would much rather have Moore than a 2nd round rookie in a mediocre class

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Drunk Nerds posted:

In ppr? gently caress yeah I'd do that in a minute

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Sataere posted:

Are you trading the 2.05? Because I would smash that for DJM. I wouldn't trade him for that. I think he's worth a late first personally. I may he biased though. :v:

If you are tanking, I like the strategy. Kupp is still super young. Plus, JJ, Kupp is a dynamic receiving core. I'd fade most running backs because they have a shorter shelf life.

It is also worth noting I just did a rookie roundup on the Baltimore Ravens and I don't think JK Dobbins is going to be very valuable. Monken doesn't run the ball. He slings it.

Wide receivers are way more valuable in dynasty because they have a longer shelf life, so my next round targets if I'm you is Hollywood and Jamo. Then I'm looking at the 2.03 because this is a pretty interesting second round and you can get some nice value. I'd also be really interested in Dulcich for youth and tanking purposes.

Kupp is gonna be 30 at the start of the 2023 season. He's not ready for the retirement home but I wouldn't call him super young.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DJ Moore's numbers are projected to outscore last season's but they have all these qualifiers about how Chicago is 30th in WR targets.

My thoughts are well you have a some legit tackle help coming in and Justin Fields can pass, he just scrambles all the time.

I moved DJ Moore to my starting lineup in dynasty the second he was traded. I mean considering who has been throwing to him I feel really good about the upside. He's like Terry McLaurin, thriving with jack poo poo throwing the ball.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

DJ Moore's numbers are projected to outscore last season's but they have all these qualifiers about how Chicago is 30th in WR targets.

My thoughts are well you have a some legit tackle help coming in and Justin Fields can pass, he just scrambles all the time.

I moved DJ Moore to my starting lineup in dynasty the second he was traded. I mean considering who has been throwing to him I feel really good about the upside. He's like Terry McLaurin, thriving with jack poo poo throwing the ball.

Agreed. And as for Fields not passing a lot, well, would you feel great about throwing to the pack of assholes Chicago had running routes last year lol? Obviously running is his super power but he's not Zach Wilson out there winging passes 10 feet over guys' heads in the flat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean the guy threw 41 touchdowns with only 3 interceptions in college one season. And then he ran for 484 yards and 10 more touchdowns.

I mean, look up Richardson's Florida stats for kicks. 17 touchdowns to 9 picks. I think it's a reasonable guess that Justin Fields has the tools when he isn't running for his life.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the quick advice. I had 1.05 in a superflex and Stroud was still on the board. I don't need qb too bad so my phone was blowing up

Got Moore and 1.09 for 1.05 and 2.05. I wanted a top 4 wr and they were all still on the board at 1.05

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Quiet Feet posted:

Kupp is gonna be 30 at the start of the 2023 season. He's not ready for the retirement home but I wouldn't call him super young.

drat. Could've sworn he was 28.

kiimo posted:

People love pointing out the low attempt rate by the Bears, but they actually dropped back to pass at around the league average. But you don't qualify for a pass attempt if you are running for your life.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Starting a new thread tonight.
What are some new resources goons here are liking?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spoeank posted:

The Fourth of July is in the rearview mirror, which means that it's time to talk FANTASY FOOTBALL again! I've stolen most of this from the 2020 thread, which stole it from Beer's 2019 thread.

It's bad and you shouldn't play it!

2021 Thread

Free League Hosting Services
  • Sleeper: Gunning for the #1 spot. A dedicated fantasy football platform that has lots of pretty colors and makes team management easy to use. It also has some really weird stuff like mascots that I'm sure they don't want anymore. My preferred platform because it's so drat easy to use.
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It also hasn't been updated since Matthew Berry had a full head of hair.
  • CBS: One of the old-school free league sites There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: I like Yahoo! the best, but a lot of people complain about their interface being clunky.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, but it's awful. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
  • Fantrax: A lot of people have been complaining that MFL sucks but is the only option for salary keeper leagues. Don't use Fantrax if you can help it, it was a nice in-between from MFL to Sleeper but its time is gone.

Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league website and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year. The insanely specific user interface is usually quite overwhelming at first. If you're running a redraft league, this is a bit like using an uzi to open a beer can. Too much power for what you need.

Useful Free Resources
  • Football Absurdity Goon-run fantasy football site that focuses on auction strategies and hosts Beersheets.
  • NBC Rotoworld Sports Edge: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally, I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.

Best Stat Resources (Friends Don't Let Friends Use PFF)
I took a break from writing a metric poo poo ton of player profiles to make the OP. These are the resources I use most to get information on players.
  • Pro Football Reference: The Mac Daddy of football stat sites. They're dipping their toe in advanced stats but their data there isn't the best. Stathead is a great resource for running queries to find the player splits to prove your point but it costs money.
  • PlayerProfiler.com: An extremely slick interface that lets you look at a player to get basically all the information you might need in an easily readable package. It charts stuff like PFF but uses it for a fantasy football slant. The owner is insanely brash but the site is A+. It has a pay option that lets you run (easy to use) queries to get the stats in spreadsheet format instead of player-by-player. That's some real sicko poo poo though (it's me I'm sicko)
  • BRotoFantasy.com: Has free tools that gain you access to other advanced stats. I particularly like Rush Yyards Over Expectation per attempt.
  • DynastyLeagueFootball: Has some great tools after purchasing FFStatistics a few years ago. Kind of starting to go by the wayside but there's no better site for historical week-to-week rankings or splits data.
  • Sharp Football Stats: Lets you find stuff like % of team pass plays in 13 personnel. Real sicko hours.

Useful Premium Resources (just copied and pasted from the 2020 iteration of this thread, not my opinions, though My Playbook is an incredibly powerful multi-league management tool.
  • Rotopass: A group rate for multiple sites; Footballguys, Rotowire, ESPN Insider, RosterWatch, RotoViz, Fantasy Insiders, and $10 credit to FanDuel and DRAFT.
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Three guys with a great podcast and an extremely comprehensive draft guide.
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • FantasyPros: The standard for fantasy data aggregation, and you can pay for access to a roster management and mock draft package called My Playbook that is very helpful.

Useful League Resources
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. Good for putting an IRL draft on a TV screen for easy reference.

ADP, Rankings and Projections

Podcasts
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Has basically become the default fantasy football podcast, featuring three guys who are full time fantasy nuts. Decent balance of humor and conversation, although they get a bit repetitive and I find a lot of their opinions to be rather knee-jerk rather than insightful.
  • The Audible: Footballguys has a regular podcast that combines a healthy amount of insight, injury help with Dr. Jene Bramel, and they're very football-focused if you prefer that to other podcasts that have gimmicks or gags.
  • CBS Fantasy Football Today: Another high tier podcast that balances humor and insight, with multiple perspectives and a decent amount of access thanks to their CBS affiliation. They also have a Fantasy Football in Five edition that is essentially a short version of the main episode.
  • 4For4 Most Accurate Podcast: John Paulsen has repeatedly won awards for accuracy, and he provides a ton of information in a condensed amount of time. The mood is light and never boring, and at only 30 minutes per episode it's short and to the point.
  • Around The NFL: Although not technically a fantasy-specific podcast, they have a lot of useful information and provide a pretty cool insight into the workings of NFL media. They also seem to get a ton of really cool guests and the conversation is surprisingly candid. This has been my favorite podcast for years. RIP Wess.
  • ESPN Fantasy Focus Football: Small indie podcast by some guy who was an extra in Avengers once.

Twitter Follows
Here's an updated twitter list for fantasy:

Beat Writer Aggregator
@32BeatWriters

Real NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter
@rapsheet

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom - Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman - Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel - MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

The Fantasy Footballers - some people don't like them (too much fluff) but they are insanely accurate
@JasonFFL
@AndyHolloway
@ffhitman

CBS Sports
@DaveRichard - might be the nicest guy in fantasy
@JameyEisenberg - doesn't sleep
@HeathCummingssr - contrarian takes
@CTowersCBS - mix baseball/football
@AdamAizer - Trash takes

ESPN
@MikeClayNFL - The only one worth your time on their godawful analysis network
@StephaniaESPN - ok, Stephania Bell is good, too.

NFL
@GreggRosenthal - Former Rotoworld writer, great real life football knowledge
@AdamRank - Fantasy Analyst
@MarcasG - Fantasy Analyst
@MichaelFFlorio - Fantasy Analyst

NBC Sports Edge (current and former)
@LordReebs
@JoshNorris
@EvanSilva - The GOAT
@RotoPat - The guy who writes the funny Rotoworld blurbs
@CDCarter13 - FF #taeks and owning the ilbs

Yahoo!
@scott_pianowski
@AndyBehrens - boring
@LizLoza_FF
@MattHarmon_BYB - The Reception Perception guy.
@YahooNoise - Accurate/ballsy, but can take over a twitter feed

Misc. Writers/PFF Guys
@friscojosh - The Airyards Guy. Kind of an rear end in a top hat but has great WR insight
@LateRoundQB - JJ Zachariason, Editor-in-Chief at Fanduel & Numberfire
@ChrisRaybon - DFS Expert, but gives some good insight
@ScottBarrettDFB - Head PFF Fantasy Analyst, extraordinarily good info
@MikeTagliereNFL - lead NFL Writer, Fantasypros (RIP Tags)
@Allinkid - Lead Writer, The Athletic Fantasy
@4for4_John - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@TJHernandez - DFS Director, 4for4
@HarrisFootball

Introduction - lifted directly from Beer because this is all good stuff!
Fantasy football does something amazing for sports fans in that it can make any game interesting. Two 0-5 teams across the country from you squaring off? Well if you have one of their quarterbacks, you will be pounding the table and screaming at the game until they kick you out of the bar.

Basically, you put together a team of individual players from around the league, then score points based on their performance on the football field. Lots of stuff can score points, like gaining yards and catching passes, so there's room for excitement during every single play.

The cycle of an NFL week provides a great framework for fantasy football. Most fantasy leagues are set up where each player plays another every week, and whoever has the highest total once the Monday night game ends gets the win. The playoffs happen during the last few weeks of the NFL regular season (although week 17 is a severely unpopular week for fantasy championships, because playoff-bound teams often rest their best players.)

Pretty much, if you like football and watching football, you will most likely love fantasy. If you never have before, give it a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has en`ded every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Advice:
Know your drat league settings and make a plan before the draft. Does your league give a point per reception? Raise your valuation of pass catching running backs and those low-highlight receivers that get a bunch of targets. Are you in a league that gives bonus points for drafting players that are literally the worst human being? Whoever is quarterbacking for Tampa Bay should get a boost.

So many times, people sit down at a draft and ask, "is this 4 point or 6 point passing TDs?" Don't do that: If you're going to do no research beforehand, just get a Beer Sheet and follow it, that's exactly what they're invented for.

Here is a list of tips from Beer:

A very special rant about auctions: Don't take auction advice from analysts who primarily do drafts. Auctions take longer and how they go is greatly dependent upon the people involved. So analysts only have time to get in a few auctions each season, and it's usually with the same batch of other analysts they work with. This means that often the advice they give has only been shown to work a few times with a pre-set group of owners. Drunk Nerds is the best in the business at salary cap drafts.

If you're looking for some tips as a first-time auctioner, or you're wondering how the meta has shifted for this year, don't Google it. Just hit us up here in the Armchair Quarterback.

A WAY TO GET BETTER ADVICE ON KEEPERS FROM THE THREAD
Put as many rules as possible in your questions. Include league size, keeper rules (cost, how long can you keep, etc), rules (4 points for TD, PPR, etc)

That should be everything. If it isn't then make your own OP next time!

hth

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

Starting a new thread tonight.
What are some new resources goons here are liking?

33rd team definitely needs to be added to the OP. Gamechanger. I found myself playing with these breakdowns for hours.
https://www.the33rdteam.com/the-edge/

Otherwise, Spoeank had last years thread on lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. oh you already got nbc sportsedge nevermind that

I also keep http://www.nflweather.com/en/ bookmarked, good to pay attention to what the weather will be for each week's upcoming games since that can affect gameplan and scoring