Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tighten the strap up until it hangs at your chest like a 1950s rock guitar player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Fender,

We're going to ignore the fact that the strings will go over the logo

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm trying to think of anyone who wears a V up high.

I'm starting to think that the proper height to wear V and Explorer shapes is such that you rest your forearm along the pointy bit like an arm rest. My Fernandes explorer is definitely most comfy that way.

^^^lol, nice.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What are the least ergonomic (mass market/non-gimmick) guitars? I feel like flying V has to be way up that list.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Why does the admittedly awesome V get to have the adjective flying?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
look at it go! zoom!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ColdPie posted:

What are the least ergonomic (mass market/non-gimmick) guitars? I feel like flying V has to be way up that list.

Anything Steinberger Spirit-esque, I'd say. Though even they do have a use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKorOwxrWuQ

Recommend that channel for hardcore/hip-hop, especially for bands full of normal lookin' people just going sick.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have a King V but it is largely Earthbound.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ColdPie posted:

The Telecaster.

I'm kidding.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Elissimpark posted:

I'm trying to think of anyone who wears a V up high.

I'm starting to think that the proper height to wear V and Explorer shapes is such that you rest your forearm along the pointy bit like an arm rest. My Fernandes explorer is definitely most comfy that way.

^^^lol, nice.

Dave Davies of the Kinks used to play his V like that. Chest-high, right hand between the fins. Looks goofy as hell.

e:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Pondex posted:

Dave Davies of the Kinks used to play his V like that. Chest-high, right hand between the fins. Looks goofy as hell.

e:

No Dave, the OTHER pointy bit!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ColdPie posted:

The Les Paul and it's not even close

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pondex posted:

e:

Hahaha that owns and is simultaneously one of the goofiest things I've seen in a while

Need to listen to more Kinks

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love the 335 but I think if I was really really worried about ergonomics (and couldn't just switch to my SG) I probably would not like it

btw playing bass for two days straight makes guitar feel like a little baby toy. like im the hulk or something

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 26, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

The Les Paul and it's not even close

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

Serious answer: after going very hard on the "this feels painful to play" situation for basically every day of guitar learning for two years, the least ergonomic guitar varies by person and what you're playing. My Strat is fantastic for anything for the first 7 frets. Anything above that is a massive turn for my wrist to get at and it can get pretty painful. I've tried classical and rockstar position, different lengths on the strap, standing or sitting, with or without an A-frame support thingy (from my brief venture into classical - very good to have instead of a foot rest), between the legs, over the left leg, over the right leg, etc. It just doesn't want to happen.

A Jazzmaster felt a bit better while standing but not sitting - that dang wrist turn.

I played a Strandberg briefly and it felt like it might work but I didn't feel OK spending $1200 on a used one. I had a knockoff Strandberg China clone and it had the same issue as the Strat, even in classical position resting on the left leg.

The reason I'm obsessed with Firebirds is that they just seem to fit into my body really well. The lower bout lets me get my forearm into it way more and at a better angle to push in while barreing, which takes the strain off my left hand. With the other Firebird I put together, the strap button is in a location that makes it fit like butter. The one I'm working on now finally has a neck profile and fretboard radius that I like, based on a few hours of trial and error across different guitars.

I really do hope that we get more ergonomic attention to guitars in the same way that (typing) keyboards/office chairs/desks have gotten attention. It's not easy to find stock guitars that fit all my wishes - that's why I just gave up and started building them. "Just building them" is not an answer for the mass market - these were many-weeks-long projects that occupied a big chunk of my downtime and were very much not plug and play. The old adage of "good, cheap, fast - choose any two" rears its ugly head once more.

Anyway I'm guessing that the least overall ergonomic guitar is a Steinberger broom style, which is a shame, because they're cool as hell.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I didn’t want to point it out but when you shift the neck left or right then certain play style styles or ways you want to hold the guitar become ergonomic or not. Like the sitting down with an sg brings your fret hand farther left. A strat by contrast feels much closer to your body. So just like playing cowboy chords up to the 12th fret feels much different than on an sg.

I don’t really have a preference or either though. I’d prob choose an sg over my strat for comfort just because it’s another pound lighter and slimtaper neck. They couldn’t sound any more different tho… those two guitars…

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Neural DSP plugins half off

https://landing.neuraldsp.com/birthday-sale/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It comes down to everyone's body. I just can't quite seem to play for more than 5-10 minutes in rockstar position at all, unless the guitar's up to my chest like that Kinks guy a few posts ago. If I'm standing, I can't get any position which doesn't require tons of wrist bend without classical and a bit higher than normal.

Somewhere out there is a formula that can figure out the optimal guitar based on torso length, shoulder width, forearm length, upper arm length, and hand length from wrist to base phalanx of the finger.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

no no no on rockstar position if you mean dropping that guitar to the waist and contorting your wrist into obscene angles. I definitely can't play that at all. I need my wrist to be 'unlocked' so to speak. Often sitting in a chair I need to make sure I don't shift my weight so I'm not propping the neck up with my hand or anything like that

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Nice.
I think I'm still good with Gojira and Wong, but I had fun demoing the Rabea synth stuff last time they had a sale.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

there is nothing more comfy than a Strat as far as I'm concerned. Perfect guitar for playing while sitting, which is what I'm doing 99% of the time.

meanwhile I've never thought Les Pauls were particularly comfortable. I was guitar shopping and ended up with a bigger hollow body instead because the LP just didn't sit right with me, literally.

the Thunderbird shape looks comfy as hell, look at this thing:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

havelock posted:

Nice.
I think I'm still good with Gojira and Wong, but I had fun demoing the Rabea synth stuff last time they had a sale.

How do you like the Wong? I'm looking for a good clean/crunch tone.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I like it a lot. I'm not a particularly discerning listener and I'm not ever chasing some artist or genre specific tone, though. It has really nice cleans and crunch/od type sounds. It works well with my baritone and my bass, too. It's definitely worth demoing.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

so i once heard someone talking about The Strat Having A Reverb Tank In It or something like that and thought it was some BS but i kinda heard it today https://voca.ro/1avMrFg1kn9z

when i hit the D string you can actually kinda hear it acting as a weird metal plate. i think that's the main thing i miss from my telecaster-- the immediate sound

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the V is a bitch to play in bed it's true I guess I'll learn to play standing up or laying completely flat

I was thinking of an epi firebird or the V I got a good deal on the V but a firebird will soon have its place in the pile

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Try the Tim Henson - I use it for some clean (the acoustic settings are actually even kinda decent) but the garage fuzz crunch you can get with it by far the best

The Gojira also has a really loving good clean I think called "tele" something that has no business being as good as it is in a metal amp package

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

the V is a bitch to play in bed it's true I guess I'll learn to play standing up or laying completely flat

I was thinking of an epi firebird or the V I got a good deal on the V but a firebird will soon have its place in the pile

Honestly for all the things I love about my strandbergs the classical position cutaway might be my favorite feature. I can comfortably play it anywhere, and have started doing so in my overstuffed recliner for maximum comfort.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

ColdPie posted:

People won't like this, but Les Paul shapes are the most uncomfortable shape I've played imo.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

worst thing about les pauls to me is that the neck shape of any of them that i've played is super thick but not super round. and kind of for what.

at least with a body that's super thick like that you can hand-tilt pick more easily

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have an EC-256 so not a Les Paul, but it feels really uncomfortable in classical position. I have to spread my legs wider, and that plus the shorter scale makes all the playing parts off to the left. I tried putting it on my right leg, but then it wants to just fall off if you don't hold it carefully. I'm surprised more people don't complain about it. A V is way less hassle to me. Also super strats are super for a reason!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

slim taper neck on LP only. then the neck is wonderful imo. too many go for the 50s neck that gibson makes that more than anything else. also I do find lp pretty comfortable as long as they are around 8.5 lb or lighter. that excludes a shitload of them

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ethanol posted:

slim taper neck on LP only. then the neck is wonderful imo. too many go for the 50s neck that gibson makes that more than anything else. also I do find lp pretty comfortable as long as they are around 8.5 lb or lighter. that excludes a shitload of them

My LP has a fantastic slim taper neck but weighs as much as my 5 string bass. This doesn’t bother me because I play sitting, with it on my left leg, and with the strap on.

The biggest thing for me in getting used to it was right arm placement so the binding wouldn’t be cutting off circulation :science:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have a 60s Les Paul and it’s great. I have no idea why anyone would enjoy the 50s baseball bat but different strokes. It’s 9 pounds so not too bad and it gives it a sense of physical presence that feels fun in contrast with my 5 pound V which is a different fun since it weighs less than air and you can throw it around.

(lol all of this hand-wringing about 4 lbs, I know I know)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

After switching from a 7.8lb tele to a 6lb tele and being amazed at the difference, I won't tease the weight watchers.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I can do a 9 lb lp but there is some critical mass between 9 and 10 lb where it suddenly feels way heavier. I had to get rid of a 10 lb lp. Perception of weight is weird.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea it goes from “haw haw I am a big strong riff man!” To “ugh this again? I guess.”

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I miss my LP Classic with the P90s but I don't miss the weight. I'd love one of those Les Pauls that are just thinner and lighter, maybe with comfort carves, but everyone that does them seem to also need to change the body design in ways that they never look right to me.

The slim 60s Gibson neck was probably the nicest neck I've played, thin enough to play quickly but with chunk to make me feel confident.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

The slim 60s Gibson neck was probably the nicest neck I've played, thin enough to play quickly but with chunk to make me feel confident.

I really think this describes that neck shape perfectly, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

ethanol posted:

I can do a 9 lb lp but there is some critical mass between 9 and 10 lb where it suddenly feels way heavier. I had to get rid of a 10 lb lp. Perception of weight is weird.

Makes sense, weird is the right term for sure.

The dirtlock is coming along nicely, just waiting on a couple of parts and some cosmetic work and it's finally done. Good project and a nice break for my hands lol.