Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Has any of you ever seen an a-frame guitarstand but for a hardcase? Like if you want to keep your acoustic in its case but also as accessible as possible. Is that a thing?

Oooh. first snipe in a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Major Operation posted:

In the era of guitar tabs on the internet it promotes a bad habit of learning how to play notes but not teaching you anything about why they work together.

Hard disagree, tabs rule and are extremely useful for learning songs quickly, which is the fun part of playing guitar. A really good way to make sure a beginner gives up playing is to gatekeep the fun stuff behind music theory math problems, ear training, and chromatic fingering exercises. The best way to learn the instrument is to learn songs and tablature is an excellent tool for this. It is important to make sure people learn to use tabs correctly, though - specifically, using them to play along with the song to get phrasing and articulation and identify any errors. I think tabs get a bad rap because a lot of people don't listen to the song while using them and assume they are playing it correctly based on memory, or will only learn the main riff, or otherwise shortcut out. Thats not a fault of the tablature, though. And its not an exclusive tool either, you can use tabs while also learning theory basics, doing exercises, etc.

landgrabber posted:

gently caress this loving instrument god loving damnit

Buddy...

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Shankel Magnus posted:

Does anyone have any similar easy songs that I could maybe add to the list?

Also thanks to the Goon that said you can get Fedex to spiral bound your books for $7. That's a game changer!

A few of my easier go-tos:
  • The Strokes - The Modern Age
  • Bloc Party - Banquet
  • Blink 182 - Dammit
  • Interpol - Slow Hands

Generally the post-punk stuff from the early-00's isn't too tough to play and not particularly high tempo, and thankfully it's one of my favorite genres so that's a bonus!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

curried lamb of God posted:

Also, just about anything from Weezer's blue album is simple and fun to learn and often has interesting little bits and how did I beat lg to this recommendation

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
What’s a good cheap PAF?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I think tabs get a bad rap because a lot of people don't listen to the song while using them and assume they are playing it correctly based on memory, or will only learn the main riff, or otherwise shortcut out. Thats not a fault of the tablature, though. And its not an exclusive tool either, you can use tabs while also learning theory basics, doing exercises, etc.

i don’t necessarily disagree, but notation also gets a bad rap among (mainly) self-taught guitarists for being too hard, unnecessary, and in extreme cases is actively discouraged. i have a chip on my shoulder for putting off learning reading for a decade, for those reasons

the other problem with tabs and chord sites is the dogshit quality of many transcriptions. not tablature’s fault, but a problem nevertheless

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

curried lamb of God posted:

• The Strokes - The Modern Age
  • Bloc Party - Banquet
  • Blink 182 - Dammit
  • Interpol - Slow Hands

Generally the post-punk stuff from the early-00's isn't too tough to play and not particularly high tempo, and thankfully it's one of my favorite genres so that's a bonus!

i approve of most of these

Shankel Magnus posted:

A new thread, so it feels like a good time to post this.

I've been playing on-off for the last couple of years but the last month I've really been bitten by the practice bug. I've started trying to find easy songs to play along with on Youtube. It's neat how even really simple songs can have you practice a bunch of different skills.

Stuff I've done so far:
- Hole: Celebrity Skin -> Fairly easy to follow power chords and power chord changes.

- White Stripes: Feel in Love with a Girl -> B,A,D,E, major changes and a chance to practice changing from E to a F# bar chord. Great rhythm that I don't have to feel too precise about to get the right feel.

- Jack White: 16 Saltines -> Fairly simple power chord changes, a section to practice hammer ons, and the 1st part of the solo is a series of triplets going down (I think the 1st position Pentatonic scale)

- Twisted Sister: I Wanna Rock -> A major chord into power chords. Some variations in the rhythm at different parts in the song. Not too complicated but I feel pretty cool when I play along to it.

- Green Day: Hitchin a Ride -> Power Chords, Palm Muting, Muting with your fretting hand, E major to F# major bar chord practice, I think some octave chords if you do the solo.

- Pearl Jam - Corduroy: Multiple string picking for the intro, quicker power chords into a G major shape. A series of chords for the chorus based off of the G major shape.

- Lick it Up - Kiss: Single string picking, palm muting, G, D, A major chord changes, simple bends for the bridge, couple of different bar chords. A neat thing I found is that this song just seems to be a practical lesson in hand movement conservation.

Does anyone have any similar easy songs that I could maybe add to the list?

Also thanks to the Goon that said you can get Fedex to spiral bound your books for $7. That's a game changer!

hell yeah celebrity skin by hole is a great song!!

gonna seem funny for me to mention, but seriously -- weezer is a great band to pick up on songwriting and guitar playing from.

often based in power chords, but if you pay attention and find a decent tab, you can pick up the inversions. and often times the leads are more melodic than shred -- i actually can't overstate enough just how much about music and organizing it from playing those songs. he has a really motivic approach to everything.

even just the repetition of the first verse phrase from buddy holly on the guitar in the break between the first chorus and second verse.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a.p. dent posted:

i don’t necessarily disagree, but notation also gets a bad rap among (mainly) self-taught guitarists for being too hard, unnecessary, and in extreme cases is actively discouraged. i have a chip on my shoulder for putting off learning reading for a decade, for those reasons

the other problem with tabs and chord sites is the dogshit quality of many transcriptions. not tablature’s fault, but a problem nevertheless

said this in the last thread but i much prefer notation to tablature.

sight reading on guitar like on piano doesn't really make much sense, but as far as just learning songs -- notation tells me what the music actually is, whereas tab only tells me "put your fingers here and play what's underneath them".

i guess notation is kind of like, giving someone directions based on street signs and landmarks, and tab is more like turn by turn GPS navigation. maybe the turn-by-turn is better if you're just going to one specific place one time, but learning the street signs and landmarks will help you better understand the place you live. if that makes any sense

now: time to go to guitar center and hope they have fret cleaner so i can sink hours into setting up this instrument so i can practice it again without having a trainwreck occur in my brain whenever i go to hit my B string on the third fret and BOOM sitar note

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

lazerwolf posted:

What’s a good cheap PAF?

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-59-Classic-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Black_p_21820.html

I'm also very partial to the Dimarzio PAF pro, The Duncan Seth Lover, and some models of Gibson Burstbuckers, but prices vary pretty wildly on the ones I mentioned

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

a.p. dent posted:

Again, that runs into the problem of gatekeeping that requires unfun, unintuitive interaction with music. You can give a total beginner who's never touched a guitar the tabs to smoke on the water and basic description of how to read it and they can likely play some rendition of the song within a few minutes. This wouldn't be remotely possible with traditional notation. One of these leads to fun right out of the box, the other leads to a dusty guitar in a basement. There's a place for notation but that wouldn't be for a beginner, unless it was some formalized, comprehensive music school setting or similar. Regarding tab quality, its definitely not perfect but it is a million times better than it was in the early '00s and places like Songsterr that let you play the tabs as midi files reduce the transcription errors considerably.

landgrabber posted:

i guess notation is kind of like, giving someone directions based on street signs and landmarks, and tab is more like turn by turn GPS navigation. maybe the turn-by-turn is better if you're just going to one specific place one time, but learning the street signs and landmarks will help you better understand the place you live. if that makes any sense

Sure, and beginners are like people who have just been dropped in a new city and don't know how to get around. I don't think anyone would be like "never use GPS, you're just cheating yourself" if someone just wants to get to a restaraunt or whatever. The more you're getting out and about, the more you're organically picking up on those landmarks and roadways. Telling people to stay in their house all day studying maps until they can navigate without GPS isn't particularly helpful, you know what I mean?

Anyway, my take is that I think learning an instrument should be as fun as possible and I prefer to encourage positive interaction with music whenever possible. Tabs make that easier than anything else I can think of. I also just kind of bristle at the idea of there being a "right" way to learn when there is essentially an infinite number of motivations for people to learn to play the guitar. Not everyone is trying to be a professional session musician and a lot of people just want to learn a few beatles songs on acoustic to play with friends at a barbeque.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Gramps posted:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-59-Classic-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Black_p_21820.html

I'm also very partial to the Dimarzio PAF pro, The Duncan Seth Lover, and some models of Gibson Burstbuckers, but prices vary pretty wildly on the ones I mentioned

The lineup of humbuckers from GFS is confusing. I just put a set of GFS Alnico V humbuckers in a guitar, but they were these (except Zebra):
https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-professional-Series-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Black-Case-Neck-Pickup-5-Wire_p_35021.html

Both product pages claim to be their most "authentic" take on that style, although the link I gave doesn't call itself a "Patent Applied For". Just SEO tricks?

I don't have an opinion on how PAF-y the professional series is. I don't know what a PAF is supposed to sound like. They sound OK to me.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

Huxley posted:

I put in one of the no-solder Obsidian wiring things today and it was amazing. Luxurious.

The only thing I had to do was ream the holes on the switchplate up a size and replace a lovely stock ground wire that didn't do anything, and the whole rewire took about 5 minutes with no heat.

Thanks for the trip report!

I finally had some time today to start fiddling with my planned Squier upgrades -- I looked at both the Obsidian and Mojotone kits before buying one from a guy on ebay that was marginally less-expensive.

Whoops!

The big difference between those kits and the one I bought was a solderless connection for the output jack, which it turns out I need -- Thankfully, the return process was easy.

I went with the mojotone, since one user (on another forum) who had tried both said there was a little more "wiggle room" with the wiring from the output jack, which I suspect I'll need for mine.

I went ahead and bought a new control plate, even though I got the cheap Harbor Freight reaming tool when I bought the e-bay harness -- there may be a toothpick and some wood glue in my guitar's future -- I figure it's good to have options.

Anyway, I'll let the thread know if my experience with the Mojotone was as good as Yours was with the Obsidian in any case -- probably in a couple of weeks.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Major Operation posted:

The lineup of humbuckers from GFS is confusing. I just put a set of GFS Alnico V humbuckers in a guitar, but they were these (except Zebra):
https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-professional-Series-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Black-Case-Neck-Pickup-5-Wire_p_35021.html

Both product pages claim to be their most "authentic" take on that style, although the link I gave doesn't call itself a "Patent Applied For". Just SEO tricks?

I don't have an opinion on how PAF-y the professional series is. I don't know what a PAF is supposed to sound like. They sound OK to me.

PAFs tend to be fairly bright (especially Alnico V) and somewhat scooped with a nice bottom end with lower/moderate output. Something hotter like a super distortion will have less top end, quite a bit more bass and mids.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Propagandhi songs are fuckin' hard yo What the gently caress

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

What’s a good cheap PAF?

get a set of epiphone classic pro's from reverb
love those things

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

gently caress this loving instrument god loving damnit

We already need a new thread title, and this is it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

landgrabber posted:

said this in the last thread but i much prefer notation to tablature.

sight reading on guitar like on piano doesn't really make much sense, but as far as just learning songs -- notation tells me what the music actually is, whereas tab only tells me "put your fingers here and play what's underneath them".

now: time to go to guitar center and hope they have fret cleaner so i can sink hours into setting up this instrument so i can practice it again without having a trainwreck occur in my brain whenever i go to hit my B string on the third fret and BOOM sitar note

Why not both? This is the kind of stuff my instructor would give me.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lumpy posted:

We already need a new thread title, and this is it.

yep

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gramps posted:

Propagandhi songs are fuckin' hard yo What the gently caress

Their slowest song is like still 160 bpm, sigh.

Wish you could buy the first two album tabs from Sheet Happens too. I assume that is due to label issues or something.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Their slowest song is like still 160 bpm, sigh.

Wish you could buy the first two album tabs from Sheet Happens too. I assume that is due to label issues or something.

Iteration is 190, and you have to hit THIS motherfucker on the fly
x
x

For the love of christ my fackin handssss
Also- try singing it hahahahahahahahaha ow my vocal cords. I don't know what Chris was thinking on this record but everything is so loving high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omgYNxZseA

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got, among other things, some no-name filtertrons the other day. Didn't come with mounting rings, which I wasn't surprised by, but I thought I would try switching the blacktops in my Gretsch for them for 1-1 comparison. I unsoldered the original neck pickup before seeing that Gretsch pickups use three screws to mount compared to two on my generic ones. Happily I was able to solder the original back and it seems to be working correctly.

Are there different mounts for arch- and flat-top guitars? I've not seen any evidence, will something like [ulr=https://www.axesrus.co.uk/FLT2ENGRING-p/fltl2.htm]this[/url] just flex to the curvature?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

wish gretsch made something a little more aesthetically tasteful than saul goodman's cadillac deville, because filtertrons are super nice sounding

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Gramps posted:

x
x

Also- try singing it hahahahahahahahaha ow my vocal cords. I don't know what Chris was thinking on this record but everything is so loving high

Chris does a patreon podcast thing, A Catastrophic Break with Consensus Reality. I think for this record he said the problem was 1. Chris was mixing it himself early on before being handed over for emergency mixing once he realized he was in over his head and deadlines were approaching 2. Chris was recording himself singing by himself with no outside opinion. So it ends up being that he did a lot of things that weren't really realistic for even him, it's why much of this record gets either drop tuned or skipped live too. He also has found other ways to do the songs with different melodies for the vocals live.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I've sold 5 guitars in the last month, which is a good thing, but I also have another 11 on the chopping block, and I still have 5 full racks and a couple Yngwie piles of guitars in cases/bags. Yes, I have a problem. I'm also ahead 65% over what I spent this year, and averaging over 60% for the last three years, so they're paying for themselves, basically.

landgrabber posted:

wish gretsch made something a little more aesthetically tasteful than saul goodman's cadillac deville, because filtertrons are super nice sounding

Gretsch Corvette? Solidbody, sort of a cross between a double-cut Les Paul Junior and an Epi Wilshire with the body contours of an SG.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Tonight I did my first full 1hr practice session since catching Covid-19. During the last two weeks I either skipped or did like 10 minutes of chromatic exercises just to do something. The fatigue is real be careful out there.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is related to modeler chat.

My decision to adopt modeling tech started with my experience with the Line6 Helix HX Stomp. I didn't like the amp sounds, and in hindsight I think it was because I didn't understand just how important speaker cabinet IRs are. I landed on Fractal because they had a $1K modeler called the FM3 that I decided to try after sending a Stomp back. It gave me goosebumps on the first play and I sold it and went all-in on the Axe-FXIII MkII (only to return it for the Turbo version a couple weeks later.)

Since then John Cordy has proven the Helix gear can sound great if you know how to use it. He's a very musical guy who put in the thousands of hours of work to achieve really astounding skill especially in lead lines. His control and smoothness wreck me.
And he sounds amazing no matter what he plays through. On his channel he plays every modeler out there and real amps with IRs, and real amps with mic'ed cabs. He's got the technical aspects down.

So when he revisited the Quad Cortex I had to go see what was new. I thought it was good enough to share, hope I was right. The topic is the looper but in demo'ing that he ends up showing lots of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jppyodJxXKw

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i don’t know what he had but i played faust’s modeling setup and it actually sounded pretty tight

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hey there new guitar thread! This is the most active thread in ML and the one where 95% of reports come from so I’ll just co-sign the rule to try keeping things at least somewhat on topic. I’m not gonna come in and probe every time someone makes an e/n style post because you guys are kind of your own little community, but don’t make it your primary type of post. And don’t be a dick, that’s really all I ask. Anyway, carry on.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hey, a new guitar thread! Hi everybody I also like guitars, and guitar related things. Well thread it's been good catching up!

Re: the Quad Cortex, it's definitely interesting to me since Neural does some drat fine amp modeling and I've recently got into loopers, picked up an EHX 720 and an EHX Grand Canyon to learn what I want to do with them and have some cool stuff to play around with. But in the end I am intimidated by the price of the Quad Cortex even though this PC I built to be able to run among other things good rear end amp sims definitely cost a lot more than a Quad Cortex, but then it's a lot more functional when not just doing guitar stuff too. I dunno, I guess it's not out of line for high end modeler prices. I just - I mean speaking personally here - if I'm going to lay out $2k for a guitar thing, it's probably going to be an amp, since the technology to model them does indeed march forward all the time but can be run on computers quite well and then you can support those with independent hardware purchases that make sense in other contexts also like nice audio interfaces, whereas the amps themselves are the thing that the tech is trying to model. In a few years I'll be able to get a new and better model (and, likely, modeler hardware will have improved also, with more powerful DSP processors etc.), but the thing itself will be as great as it was day one.

(As a counterpoint, though, I've got like 5 or 6 FV-1 based pedals on my board - that's just a less powerful digital signal processor, and while I found as good of deals as I could, that's still partly down the road toward one of the mighty all-in-one units like the AxeFX or Quad Cortex with a lot more processing power that could arguably also offer and more flexibility - maybe on the latter, at least they get kinda weird with the spin pedals these days, but certainly not as powerful. I think at a certain point it's almost an aesthetic choice to prefer pedals and not necessarily about wisdom!)

I'm really wanting this Mesa Rectifier Maverick 4x10 that's in a local shop, in great shape, and it costs like half the price of a Quad Cortex. But it's only one sound, etc., etc., not trying to rehash any old arguments - I'm a huge fan of modeling tech and it's been my go-to for recording and working on my tracks since 2008, just noting my personal feelings & priorities I guess. I can certainly see why musicians who value having the ability to do a bunch of different sounds live with minimal hassle would favor a nice modeling rig.

If you do In-The-Box recording/playing and want to get a bunch of quality amp models at a good price right now, Igor Nembrini is having a big sale at his shop https://www.nembriniaudio.com/ and the sale prices seem to stack with a "Plugin70" coupon that gets the price per model down to about as low as the best deals on Plugin Alliance amp sims back before they got bought out by Franciso Partners and made into part of this "Soundwide" venture. I think that Nembrini's sims are on average really nice, with some particular standouts like his MRH159 (brown sound modded Plexi), Voice DC30 (interesting '80s AC30 model), and his recent Hiwatt and Bassman sims. He also just did a Dumble ODS model that I quite like. He's been at modeling for a long time professionally, I really dig his work.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 10, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gramps posted:

x
x

what section is that chord in the song? those sus2 torture chords can be a pain in the rear end at first but they're not bad to switch into depending on the previous chord

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gramps posted:

x
x

Weird BIAS posted:

Chris does a patreon podcast thing, A Catastrophic Break with Consensus Reality. I think for this record he said the problem was 1. Chris was mixing it himself early on before being handed over for emergency mixing once he realized he was in over his head and deadlines were approaching 2. Chris was recording himself singing by himself with no outside opinion. So it ends up being that he did a lot of things that weren't really realistic for even him, it's why much of this record gets either drop tuned or skipped live too. He also has found other ways to do the songs with different melodies for the vocals live.

I was trying to play this exact song last night and failing haha! It’s my favourite albums of theirs for sure.

Yeah it’s a great podcast and Chris is an awesome dude and a wicked guitarist, despite how hard he is on himself.

He did an awesome hour long video about guitar on YouTube a few months back for his Patreon, well worth a watch.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
continuing the christopher parkening discussion from last thread, here's an early study from Noad Solo Guitar Playing Vol 1

great right hand warm up, and it's based on the melody from Asturias, so it sounds good

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hello new thread, I look forward to lurking and occasionally talking about which guitars look cool and how much fun it is to play nothing but power chords with too much distortion

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Snowy posted:

Hello new thread, I look forward to lurking and occasionally talking about which guitars look cool and how much fun it is to play nothing but power chords with too much distortion

That's a dumb thing to post about because you can't play power chords with "too much" distortion.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

Cabronita Telecaster- The mint green one is the business but the blondies are pretty fetching as well

https://reverb.com/item/55501150-fender-cabronita-telecaster-2012-transparent-white-blonde

Weird BIAS posted:

Chris' patreon is the best money I've ever spent. The Duplicate Keys Icaro episode is absolutely must listen stuff

Spanish Manlove posted:

what section is that chord in the song? those sus2 torture chords can be a pain in the rear end at first but they're not bad to switch into depending on the previous chord

First one hits at :41. I'm getting there but it's still a fuckin nightmare

Gramps fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 10, 2022

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I moved about a month ago and I still haven't unpacked my guitars or my mandolin :smith:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

What's this power chords but not palm muted open e string?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

landgrabber posted:

I literally just watched a DBG video about him putting a bigsby and some filtertrons on a tele because he didn't care for the Gretsch look. It did sound really nice.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i always recommend Alexander Technique in this thread. here are some resources i use, in case anybody wants to try it out (for free!)

i've been doing lessons with Ariel at Alexander Technique Philadelphia for over a year: https://www.alexandertechniquephiladelphia.com/ warnings: she's really cheesy, but if you can get past that, she's quite good. she's worked with many students at the Curtis Institute of Music and has a lot of experience with musicians.

mostly i do the weekly Zoom classes, which will run you $20 per class. there are usually 2-4 of us in the class. the "Play Free Musicians' Lab" is the one i usually attend.

but! if you don't feel like paying for a class, or showing your face on Zoom, she live streams most classes on her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AlexanderTechniquePhiladelphia

here's a recent class where we talked about breathing and right hand thumb / finger relaxation: https://www.facebook.com/AlexanderTechniquePhiladelphia/videos/378339607701674/ (you can't hear the parts where i'm talking, so it might be weird).

if anybody's interested, i may flesh this out into a separate thread (we need more drat threads in ML)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BonHair posted:

What's this power chords but not palm muted open e string?

Reminds me of that video where J Mascis is just straight up "I only learned that palm muting is a thing like 5 years ago, I would always just mute the open-E with my left thumb."