Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Endless Mike posted:

I looked up the HD28's serial number and it's from 1977. 70s would match one of the year ranges that works for the LP's serial number, so that makes sense (the others were like 1993, 2003, or 2013, and that didn't make much sense to me).

Wife said there's more guitars at her mom's house if we want them, too

The Deluxe was 69-85 and then reissued in 2020. There might have been some limited runs, but with the pointy headstock I'd say late 70s Norlin era. Not the most desirable model but they're still nice guitars. - if you don't like the minis then you can drop P90s directly in without routing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Most desirable if you know. God-tier.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've never enjoyed anything about playing a rickenbacker but goddamn if they aren't the coolest. I wish I was half as cool as I need to be to pull one off.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Most desirable if you know. God-tier.

yeah i mean short of winning the lottery and getting some guys $100,000 '62 strat or even more '59 lp those are some highly desirable guitars. all that stuff is worth well over 10k together i bet. good condition makes a big difference. the LP looks played but taken care of.. that's the surest sign of a good 40 year old lp.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sorry I just meant I love those deluxes, personally. Mini humbuckers are rad.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
that LP wants to play sludge heavy as gently caress slow riffs

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

fullroundaction posted:

I've never enjoyed anything about playing a rickenbacker but goddamn if they aren't the coolest. I wish I was half as cool as I need to be to pull one off.

Yeah I really love a Rick's look, vibe and sound but the first time I touched one I was really off-put by how much I hated actually playing it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone in the thread had periods of time where they have struggled with motivation to play? Let alone practise.

What resolved that? Or maybe it’s nothing to worry about?

I’m currently in that a bit but I’m hoping it’s mostly down to my teacher taking an extended break of a few months. Sorry if this is all a bit e/n.

I've been going through this; I suffered a pinched nerve in mid-2022 and didn't play for ages, and ended up getting into piano instead in 2023. I did start practicing again this past November, but then life (personal and work travel) got in the way, and now I moved in with my girlfriend a month and a half ago and still haven't set up my practice space. It's just really tough to get over the initial hump, but you have to learn to be kind with yourself instead of fretting about it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I really love a Rick's look, vibe and sound but the first time I touched one I was really off-put by how much I hated actually playing it.

Arent the strings insanely close together?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Arent the strings insanely close together?

At least it's not the 12 string

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

curried lamb of God posted:

I've been going through this; I suffered a pinched nerve in mid-2022 and didn't play for ages, and ended up getting into piano instead in 2023. I did start practicing again this past November, but then life (personal and work travel) got in the way, and now I moved in with my girlfriend a month and a half ago and still haven't set up my practice space. It's just really tough to get over the initial hump, but you have to learn to be kind with yourself instead of fretting about it.

Bro you should be freaking "fretting" about it, fretting your drat axe's neck 😎🤙💯

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
👎

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

The guitarist/bassist from the prog rock band Crown Lands plays a double-neck 6-string/bass Rickenbacker with Moog bass pedals so he can sound like both Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee at the same time on stage.

I want one.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Kazinsal posted:

The guitarist/bassist from the prog rock band Crown Lands plays a double-neck 6-string/bass Rickenbacker with Moog bass pedals so he can sound like both Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee at the same time on stage.

I want one.

That’s sick as hell.

My desires are much less complicated. I just want to be Lemmy.

Maybe with like 10-15% less nazi stuff though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Hawkwind Lemmy or Motorhead Lemmy?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Elissimpark posted:

Hawkwind Lemmy or Motorhead Lemmy?

Yes

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I got to play a Fender Sonoran. holy loving poo poo, V neck, 9ish inch radius, cutaway, sounds great

I only didn't buy it literally because the guy at Sam Ash said that the dude who sold it to them was coming back to re-buy it. Even with me doing cash in hand, ugh

I hope he flaked so I can go get it right now

If someone can confirm if the original 60s-70s Kingmans with Tele-style saddles have V necks and radiuses (radii?) I may have to drop a few thousand dollars on one

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
That sounds like something a salesperson would make up to get you to buy it now, funny how that backfired.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Or he wants it for himself but it has to be on the floor for a certain number of days before an employee can buy it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
a lot of states require 30 days before you can sell trade-in items, that could be it too

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So I kind of want another strat or two. Been pruning the collection a bit so there are empty slots in the rack which cannot be allowed.

Current strat collection is a custom scalloped Yngwie style one (SSS), another one I put together from various original Fender parts (SSS), and a baritone/subsonic (HSS).

So what would round out this collection nicely? I'm thinking a HSS non-baritone might be needed, but what else? 7 string?

edit: Comedy option, get one of those 30" necks and make a Stratocaster Bass VI?

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 28, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

hss strat for sure. 7 string makes me think you're considering superstrats also so hardtail hh superstrat.

but honestly i think if i needed to have only one do it all electric it'd be a hardtail hss superstrat. charvel makes one with a jb and duncan custom flat strats while godin makes one with more lace hot golds and a duncan 59, you can find both for about 600 bucks used

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

There's a really good sale on a classic vibe jazzmaster right now from musicians friend of any one is in the market
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-60s-jazzmaster-limited-edition-electric-guitar/l66132000002000

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So I kind of want another strat or two. Been pruning the collection a bit so there are empty slots in the rack which cannot be allowed.

Current strat collection is a custom scalloped Yngwie style one (SSS), another one I put together from various original Fender parts (SSS), and a baritone/subsonic (HSS).

So what would round out this collection nicely? I'm thinking a HSS non-baritone might be needed, but what else? 7 string?

edit: Comedy option, get one of those 30" necks and make a Stratocaster Bass VI?

gibson s g

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Danelectro Longhorn baritone

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

hss strat for sure. 7 string makes me think you're considering superstrats also so hardtail hh superstrat.

but honestly i think if i needed to have only one do it all electric it'd be a hardtail hss superstrat. charvel makes one with a jb and duncan custom flat strats while godin makes one with more lace hot golds and a duncan 59, you can find both for about 600 bucks used

Nah, I want a "proper" strat body so the superstrats are out. For 7 string I was considering getting another Squier VII like I had a couple of years back; they usually are reasonably priced and are surprisingly good instruments. Not very often they show up for sale though.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Hi, guitar thread. I took up playing a little less than a year ago and somehow or another I hosed up the shoulder my fretting hand is attached to. I suspect it was bad playing posture loving around in my computer chair. It might have been working out also or a combination. Anyhow, now I have tendonitis it seems and I'm freaking out. Anyone have any horror stories or, I'm hoping, chill-out-it'll-be-OK stories? My doc put me on prescription strength Aleve and it's cutting my stomach to ribbons, but I just want to be able to play again without feeling pain afterward.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dicere posted:

Hi, guitar thread. I took up playing a little less than a year ago and somehow or another I hosed up the shoulder my fretting hand is attached to. I suspect it was bad playing posture loving around in my computer chair. It might have been working out also or a combination. Anyhow, now I have tendonitis it seems and I'm freaking out. Anyone have any horror stories or, I'm hoping, chill-out-it'll-be-OK stories? My doc put me on prescription strength Aleve and it's cutting my stomach to ribbons, but I just want to be able to play again without feeling pain afterward.

I just hit my early 30s and pinched a nerve simply by sleeping wrong

this is a normal thing that happens (especially if you're getting older) and if the aleve doesn't cut it they can just give you a course of muscle relaxers and it'll go back to normal

nothing to worry about - just focus on posture when you get back to playing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

fretting can stress your wrist and hands in terms of arthritis-like problems, less likely your shoulder though, which barely moves while playing guitar. probably came from your exercise or something else

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Upright walking is an abomination in nature and our bodies can just barely hold it together on the best of days, so add in lifting heavy poo poo or twisting the wrong way and yeah... it's gonna come crashing down.

But modern medicine is magic. Drugs and rest

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dicere posted:

I suspect it was bad playing posture loving around in my computer chair.

does your computer chair have arm rests? those really get in the way when playing guitar.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

does your computer chair have arm rests?

Yep. I suspect it was a combination of that and gripping too hard on bar chords because I had low gauge strings and, well, I'm new.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

when i got my steelcase i took the arms off of my old office chair, an ikea markus, and made it my guitar chair. huge improvement in comfort.

i've also got a hosed up shoulder but it's my picking hand. doing shoulder mobility work every day or two has been massively beneficial - dead hangs off a pullup bar, band work (internal/external rotations, face pulls, pull aparts), and digging into offending bits with a theracane. i am not a doctor or pt so listen to them first but it might be something to look into.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

when i got my steelcase i took the arms off of my old office chair, an ikea markus, and made it my guitar chair. huge improvement in comfort.

i've also got a hosed up shoulder but it's my picking hand. doing shoulder mobility work every day or two has been massively beneficial - dead hangs off a pullup bar, band work (internal/external rotations, face pulls, pull aparts), and digging into offending bits with a theracane. i am not a doctor or pt so listen to them first but it might be something to look into.

I have similar issues in my picking shoulder and an occasionally impinged ulnar nerve. Those are basically the same exercises that two different PTs have given me. You can also look into a TENS unit with the little electrodes.

Also lidocaine patches

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I know this isn’t the right thread but I figured you folks would be closer to what I want to do than the keyboard thread. Looking to pickup up a keyboard for 3 purposes:

1. My wife wants to relearn how to play keyboard so we can get play together

2. I want something with pads on it so I can more easily program drum tracks in Logic

3. Some kind of wheel or knob so I can automate effects in the DAW like wah, pitch bends etc

Not looking for anything full sized but don’t want it to be so small it hinders her playing. Bonus points if it actually feels good to play as a keyboard. Not too worried about price because it seems like they’re all relatively inexpensive (compared to guitar poo poo).

TIA

Edit: keep stretching my dudes. It’s the only thing keeping me physically able to play

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Thanks for listening, goons. I'm gonna stay off it for a month and keep taking the meds. I'll follow up with my GP around then. I've been stretching and I'm going to incorporate ice this weekend. I'll try and report back hopefully with good news.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
if I am not constantly stretching my entire body all day I lock up and get mr burns posture

stretch out before and after playing

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
also if it hurts sitting up try laying in bed

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Re: shoulder issues, try playing in classical position or play standing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Try getting a cheap like, drum stool for playing as well