Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

I guess I have a qc problem with the soldano because I just tried to turn it on and no sound except a dull hum would come out, until I slammed the top of it with it with my hand a few times and make it screech like there are loose contacts, and then it sort of clicked in and and started working again. and now hitting it does nothing and it sounds fine. so that's me thinking it's solder warming up and not tube. guess I'll see if I can reproduce it with a full cold soak again

😬

Edit: what do you think this LP is hanging on the wall of my CEO’s mansion during this video conference? Definitely a Murphy Lab. At least $20,000. Really puts us Epiphone players in our place.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

do you the a bigger picture?

it is the Kirk Hammett or something that makes it 20k?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

do you the a bigger picture?

it is the Kirk Hammett or something that makes it 20k?

I don’t 😔

I thought the Kirk Hammett Greeny was $50k or $200k depending on the version? I don’t I have just seen his guitar collection at various times during business functions and it’s all custom shop stuff from Gibson and Fender. Blues CEO stuff.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would own all of those kinds of guitars, too. I would just be way cooler with what I picked.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Friend of mine has hit some hard times and sold all of guitars so I’m building one for him. I got the core of it handled, just need a neck and hardware. Body is from a Squier CV with Hot Rails clone in the bridge, Epi PAF in the neck. This guitar should be able to do anything from clean cleans to high output chug when it’s done. I’ll have a coil split for the bridge and thinking of going 4-position switch to get the in-series blasto tone. Also trying to decide on a cool pickguard.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Enlarge that control cavity and do a 70s tele custom guard, either bwb or mint green.

edit you're gonna need to be careful it comes with a PAF sized spot in the neck and not a widerange slot. I know warmoth lets you do either.
edit 2 my personal preference with these guards is to not do the top pickup switch and to use one of the 4 holes near the bottom for the switch. I do individual volume and master tone with an lp-style switch in the fourth hole

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

what Baron said

or brushed aluminum normal style with matching control plate

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Do one of those standard tele size pickguards that's just cut out of an old record like on the cover of bleach

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ive swapped the faulty, getting worse soldano for a mesa mark v 35. its the last amp on the list I had grass is greener syndrome for so might as well get it out of the way if im going to return poo poo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Please never stop. I will find amps for you to lust for. Oh look over there a KSR Orion!

Edit: thinkin about that Tele Deluxe ‘guard 🤔

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ethanol posted:

you're not truly a boomer guitar player until you commit to growing out your nails

yeha... toenails!!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Please never stop. I will find amps for you to lust for. Oh look over there a KSR Orion!

Edit: thinkin about that Tele Deluxe ‘guard 🤔

im getting a stupid big discount on these boutique amps cause I already bought the stupidly expensive guitar from these dudes

so there's only so much inventory to work with unfortunately. but im getting acutely aware all these amps are pretty great in their own way so I will have to pick one and discontinue the GAS journey either way. the soldano was neat. I think it is somewhat limited on clean channel as they say

but yeah in the future, danger of getting more heads.. especially if a standalone good attenuator with DI were to ever go on deep discount. not interested going up for more wattage tho to like.. the 100 watt stuff. im not playing stadiums

and now for the final most important review

in order of smell:

the soldano smells strongly like a vanilla scented gibson guitar and wins
the mesa smells a bit less like a vanilla scented gibson guitar/case
the d20 had no detectable odor

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 19, 2024

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ethanol posted:

not interested going up for more wattage tho to like.. the 100 watt stuff. im not playing stadiums

You don't lust after a Hiwatt 100? :mods:

I just bought one of these today to scratch that exact itch. We'll see how it goes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I wish Marshall made the DSL40R in a head format and not just a combo. Yeah, there's a company that makes head conversion kits for the DSL40CR, but for the cost of the combo + one of those kits you could buy a DSL100HR and still have money leftover for some pedals.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Is there any way, short of experiencing them both in person, that I can compare a celestion seventy 80 to a greenback? My cabinet has the former and I've heard nothing but trash talk about the seventy 80s and hushed whispers about the greenbacks and mostly I'm just curious how much of a difference there could be.

I figure that once you factor in the mic, the pa, the compression and the fact that I'm listening to them on a pair of regular bookshelf speakers, a youtube video probably won't cut it for this one. But I'm happy to know if I'm wrong or if there's a convenient way to just go listen to a greenback irl

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I guess the best you can do is use some decent headphones and listen to shootouts on YouTube. I have no idea where you could go to A/B a bunch of different speakers in person. It seems not ideal.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
RIP Dickey Betts, drat he was good

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stalizard posted:

Is there any way, short of experiencing them both in person, that I can compare a celestion seventy 80 to a greenback? My cabinet has the former and I've heard nothing but trash talk about the seventy 80s and hushed whispers about the greenbacks and mostly I'm just curious how much of a difference there could be.

I figure that once you factor in the mic, the pa, the compression and the fact that I'm listening to them on a pair of regular bookshelf speakers, a youtube video probably won't cut it for this one. But I'm happy to know if I'm wrong or if there's a convenient way to just go listen to a greenback irl

seventy 80s just dont really sound they have much character to me, they're this kind of jack of all trades master-of-nothing sound. The problem with greenbacks though, is they have relatively low power handling, so they dont get used very often in modern cabs (though I think the fender bass breaker cabs had them for a while?) you're more likely to find a creamback in the wild.

How a cab sounds with a microphone on it, while separate to the sound in the room, is a big part of its typical use case so YouTube comparisons aren't entirely wasting your time here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/d/fallbrook-randall-rg100-guitar-head/7732662797.html

This seems like either a steal, it’s literally stolen or I’m misunderstanding what this is and it’s actually dogshit.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/d/fallbrook-randall-rg100-guitar-head/7732662797.html

This seems like either a steal, it’s literally stolen or I’m misunderstanding what this is and it’s actually dogshit.

Bring a friend?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
It's def on the cheap end especially with the cabinet but solid state amps don't generally command a high price. Those Randalls are somewhat desirable because Dbag Darrell played them but not that many people really care.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone have opinions on the SD Hot Rails? There is a cheapish used one locally and I’m kind of keen to give it a go in my contemporary Tele.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah it’s an old SS head in 2024 the dimebag thing elevates it but people generally shift 4x12s for cheap when they get sick of carrying them.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Red_Fred posted:

Anyone have opinions on the SD Hot Rails? There is a cheapish used one locally and I’m kind of keen to give it a go in my contemporary Tele.

Too hot for me, but they're great pickups and a classic for a reason. I eventually went to a Warman Peacemaker at about half the output and mostly just sounds like a hot noiseless single, which is what I wanted, but no real complaints about the HR if you want something meaty in the back end (arf). I still have mine to get rid of if anybody UK based wants one.

Also worth trying them with 250K pots as well as 500K as they're voiced to match with stock wiring and a Tele neck single. Actually that might be a valid complaint thinking about it - they can be a bit hard to balance with a neck single but not impossible.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

darkwasthenight posted:

Too hot for me, but they're great pickups and a classic for a reason. I eventually went to a Warman Peacemaker at about half the output and mostly just sounds like a hot noiseless single, which is what I wanted, but no real complaints about the HR if you want something meaty in the back end (arf). I still have mine to get rid of if anybody UK based wants one.

Also worth trying them with 250K pots as well as 500K as they're voiced to match with stock wiring and a Tele neck single. Actually that might be a valid complaint thinking about it - they can be a bit hard to balance with a neck single but not impossible.

Thanks.

This would be going in a Squier Contemporary Tele which has a humbucker in the neck and a Hot Rails style mini humbucker in the bridge. So I guess it would match ok?

It’s a sort of metal-esq designed guitar anyway so I assume the stock pickups are on the hot side already.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Aionfx just released some new projects, I want to build them all:

That Cornish P1 is awesome for Gilmour fans, it's cool to see some phaser kits, and the Clapton pre-amp is probably the closest we'll ever get to whatever was put in Andy Summers' telecaster.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ooh are we talking cool late night performances?

i recommend weezer playing undone in 1994 on late night with conan obrien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsHc7Qj3zo

this is the last time they were actually cool i think. it's kind of insane how hard they play, how they absolutely don't give a poo poo, and the rhythm guitar tone here is so loving thick and sludgy. when rivers is done singing for the last minute or so of the song, he just loving bails.

absolutely easy for me to see why that band blew up so hard if they were playing like this, even though blue is a bit sleepy sounding at times

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

if it has to be letterman-- and he IS the best late night host ever, i'm partial to no doubt playing spiderwebs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxr9QxiL7w4

gwen stefani goes absolutely nuts in the best way. and she runs over and jumps on top of letterman's desk and dances on top of it and poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hot rails are great because you can split them and have a single coil that sits at the right output.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Really hated them. They’re stupidly high output in a way I did not like at all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok here's Living Color playing Cult of Personality on Arsenio. They're all going absolutely loving insane.

Also the guitar solo is the most note salad solo I've ever heard in my life.
https://youtu.be/j74mxqvxRDQ

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s a single coil sized JB. If you don’t like the JB you won’t like this.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s a single coil sized JB. If you don’t like the JB you won’t like this.

The hot rails? They’re quite different. SD do have a separate rail sized “jb jr”

FWIW I’ve swapped pickups in most my guitars and most of the time I considered it a waste of time cause I barely noticed the difference but with the hot rails I did, in a bad way.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 20, 2024

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mmmm a fryette powerstation on craigslist.... please respond to me....

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

massive spider posted:

The hot rails? They’re quite different. SD do have a separate rail sized “jb jr”

FWIW I’ve swapped pickups in most my guitars and most of the time I considered it a waste of time cause I barely noticed the difference but with the hot rails I did, in a bad way.

Edit: the hot rails are ceramic so this is equivalent to a Duncan Invader or a JB with ceramic magnet. My bad!

So I’ll amend my review: ya don’t like the invader you won’t like the hot rails. I bet you can find an alnico hot rail clone on Ali that would be p sweet.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 20, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ethanol posted:

mmmm a fryette powerstation on craigslist.... please respond to me....

Ooo I've never seen these before. It's both a silencer and a loudener?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Armacham posted:

Ooo I've never seen these before. It's both a silencer and a loudener?

Yeah, its basically a power amp with a built in load box. I have one because I have a bunch of dumb rack preamps but you can connect it to small combos to boost volume or use it as an attenuater for bigger amps. It sounds great with my Mesa Studio Pre

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the mesa mark v 35 needs an attenuator imo. the whacky rear end EQ settings seem to make it somewhat possible to play at a reasonable level but i can dial it in much faster if its master volume is up. but then its very loud.

id try to use the powerstation for other amps that dont have any fancy DI.. maybe i can use a real deluxe reverb again if i want. I think it also lets you use mismatched head / cab impedance which is kinda cool.

but yeah as far as i know the fryette is the only attenuator that has a tube power amp built into it specifically to reamp. there's this boss version but it's a solid state reamp and that seems kinda funny to go that far with tube amps and then reamp it through solid state lmao

also the mark v DI is locked to its 3 onboard cab IR which is stupid as hell. so i can get around that

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Proud of myself: I've always taken guitars in to get setup, but I've been trying to learn more the last year or so. We just had a huge shift in temperatures and I got this nasty buzz on my G and B string out of nowhere. Reasoned from the sound that the neck must've bowed a bit, so in about 5m I tightened it up and re-did my saddles. Buzz is gone and intonation is perfect. Sometimes the small victories are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok here's Living Color playing Cult of Personality on Arsenio. They're all going absolutely loving insane.

Also the guitar solo is the most note salad solo I've ever heard in my life.
https://youtu.be/j74mxqvxRDQ

My loving christ, they RIPPED that. Also, fantastically late 80's.

Vernon Reid comes from an avant garde jazz background, from memory, so if you view the solo as less swing than jazz but more than metal, it makes sense.