Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My dad's friend is a jazz/blues guy who was more of a prog/shred guy in the 80s, so our taste in guitars doesn't intersect that much, outside of SGs, perhaps (he gave me a Fender P/J bass because he thinks they're basic...), but he let me play his Ibanez Jem and its felt like playing sanded butter, just an absolute joy. The dorkiest looking thing ever, but felt great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've got to know how the guitar got damaged but not you know... The flesh

im going to blame buying a guitar with ultra thin finish the lighter didnt need to be that hot.

idk it seemed to line up perfectly on the sidewall with how it sitting on my lap. maybe something else just got knocked into it. but where the nitro is suddenly missing is has weirdly rounded edges and a little part of the wood looks like it was somehow burned lol. the mark is less than the size of a dime tho. nbd murphy would be jealous of this mystery mark and would want to find out how to recreate it

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 1, 2024

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Nitro can react with all sorts if it's new. Guitar stands with foam or rubber on the arms are the usual culprit, but could be the lighter or even something like a button on your clothes. Anything will do it if it's the wrong material and sat there for long enough to react.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Could it be that the lighter was leaking rather than hot?
Lighter fluid is a pretty potent solvent

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well since you're all so interested I might as well post photo of it. it's not the prettiest first mark ive ever put on a guitar lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Looks like you tried to bite to the center of that large tootsiepop

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
leprosy

mewse
May 2, 2006

ethanol posted:

well since you're all so interested I might as well post photo of it. it's not the prettiest first mark ive ever put on a guitar lol

That is really weird looking, maybe the lighter was triggered or leaking

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Any idea how I might get that grey crap off without making it look worse. It seems to be assimilated with the nitro.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Looks like it's been in contact with ethanol.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

Any idea how I might get that grey crap off without making it look worse. It seems to be assimilated with the nitro.

Looks like the lacquer melted and re-congealed

a pro could probably strip that and patch the finish, and if you want it to look perfect again that's the route I'd go with it

but if you don't mind a little dino-damage and just want it to be a little less obvious... maybe tape everything off and hit it with some sandpaper to see if you can get down to something clean underneath it
but that's gonna be a lot of work and no guarantee of success before hitting the wood

so alternatively, just hit it with as closely matching red permanent marker as you can find and call it a day

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I didn’t want to post this on Reddit because he might see.

But my uncle bought this strat some time around 1994. It’s a really nice guitar to play, but I’m wondering if it’s real?

Look at the nut and the saddles. And the tuners are most definitely not Fender.

Is this actually some counterfeit partscaster, or did Fender really sell a model like this?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
looks cool

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That seems to be a 1991 model called a "Fender Strat Ultra"
those tuners may be aftermarket though, the listings I see all have schallers

but it looks real/consistent with those models

e: here's a lot of info on them
https://www.xhefriguitars.com/page4.html

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Looks like the lacquer melted and re-congealed

a pro could probably strip that and patch the finish, and if you want it to look perfect again that's the route I'd go with it

but if you don't mind a little dino-damage and just want it to be a little less obvious... maybe tape everything off and hit it with some sandpaper to see if you can get down to something clean underneath it
but that's gonna be a lot of work and no guarantee of success before hitting the wood

so alternatively, just hit it with as closely matching red permanent marker as you can find and call it a day

meh, might just leave it. certainly not gonna pay anybody to do anything about it anytime soon. the version of this gutiar that had the preexisting scratches was like $1500 more

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh, thank you. This is absolutely what it is.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

MrMojok posted:

I didn’t want to post this on Reddit because he might see.

But my uncle bought this strat some time around 1994. It’s a really nice guitar to play, but I’m wondering if it’s real?

Look at the nut and the saddles. And the tuners are most definitely not Fender.

Is this actually some counterfeit partscaster, or did Fender really sell a model like this?

Lace sensor pickups are awesome

gregday
May 23, 2003

God drat this thread for introducing me to the existence of PRS Private Stock. I was perfectly happy with my CE24, and I just got a new LP Custom and I do not need to be eyeing 5-figure guitars in the same year I’m planning to pay off my house.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

I remember that the Strat Plus/Strat Ultra had Sperzel locking tuners for the first year or so before Fender switched to the Schallers.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Could it be that the lighter was leaking rather than hot?
Lighter fluid is a pretty potent solvent

Naptha is actually a common way of cleaning nitro because it's non-reactive. I wouldn't like to risk butane without testing it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Ultra was, and I think still is, the most expensive production model Strat you can buy. Those are very collectible. Be nice to it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Ultra was, and I think still is, the most expensive production model Strat you can buy. Those are very collectible. Be nice to it.

On the contrary it is not real and you should ship it to me for disposal.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Definitely sounds like what my uncle would buy. It does play nice as hell, man.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

gregday posted:

God drat this thread for introducing me to the existence of PRS Private Stock. I was perfectly happy with my CE24, and I just got a new LP Custom and I do not need to be eyeing 5-figure guitars in the same year I’m planning to pay off my house.

lol do it! Who needs a house when you can shelter under a stack of guitars?

Any specific ones you’re looking at?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

gregday posted:

Found the dentist, folks.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is there such a thing as a gig bag that will hold a Firebird, is not an electric bass bag (long neck on the bag + I'm tall = my current electric bass Firebird bag slams every door I walk through), has decent backpack straps that won't dig into your shoulder flesh, and is not the Proline FB-20, SKB-63, or Gator GBE-1/doesn't cost $190?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cases are one of the few things in the guitar world where I believe it's completely worth it to spend the extra buck on for a quality hard case.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
True, but I can't find a local retailer that stocks any of them so I can at least return it if it's not the right physical fit. I've got Sam Ash and Guitar Center near me, neither sells the SKB-63. Online retailers with return policies would want me to cough up for return shipping if I want to return it, which kinda sucks. Nothing near me secondhand either.

The Gator and Proline cases are not that great in terms of thickness and decent backpack straps, or at least not better enough to get out of the bass case I currently have.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cases are one of the few things in the guitar world where I believe it's completely worth it to spend the extra buck on for a quality hard case.

Does this extend to modellers? I really need to get a bag for my Helix but the Line6 one is ridiculously expensive.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have an explorer bass and I've just accepted that I'll never have a gig bag or case for it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you can't afford to replace the thing each time you move it between locations, buy it a good case

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GC is offering me $5 off on a $1500 guitar I wishlisted

*fistpump* YESSS!

mewse
May 2, 2006

MrMojok posted:

*fistpump* YESSS!

Ugh, jealous

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MrMojok posted:

*fistpump* YESSS!

Post the guitar.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

MrMojok posted:

*fistpump* YESSS!

Can't afford not to buy it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Has GC gotten like way more aggressive about calling all of you as well?

I'm used to my beloved sweetwater sales associate giving me a quarterly update but I only started getting GC calls a little while ago and they feel desperate

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

didn't the new interchangeable finance bro running gc just say the other day they're gonna go after the boomer collector market that built sweetwater

e: yep, to chase the "serious musician"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/guitar-center-prioritize-premium-product-220428239.html

insane clown pussy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 2, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea he said something like they’re going to stop stocking only the worst trash imaginable and put real guitars on the wall. Not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

we're being cynical, but who knows maybe they really are taking a page from sweetwater and focusing on customer service

there's a huge market for csrs who can talk to lonely guys in their 60s who just wanna jaw about gibson historic r9 specs and why the kids don't visit for thanksgiving any more