Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Speaking of Strats being the perfect guitar, I'm currently putting together a new Strat in the mod shop and I need help new guitar thread!

#1 - I can't pick a color... there are so many sexy ones. Right now I'm leaning towards Lake Placid Blue, but I also really like Candy Apple Red, Skyburst Metallic, Mystic Sea Foam Green, and Silverburst, and, and, and... Which color provides the best Strat tone?

I'm going maple neck and white pickguard/covers if that helps.

#2 - Pickups. Leaning SSS or maybe HSS, but I have no real knowledge of the difference between classics, vintage, or noiseless. I want something that's stereotypically strat-sounding, whatever the hell that means.

Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BCRock posted:

Speaking of Strats being the perfect guitar, I'm currently putting together a new Strat in the mod shop and I need help new guitar thread!

#1 - I can't pick a color... there are so many sexy ones. Right now I'm leaning towards Lake Placid Blue, but I also really like Candy Apple Red, Skyburst Metallic, Mystic Sea Foam Green, and Silverburst, and, and, and... Which color provides the best Strat tone?

#2 - Pickups. Leaning SSS or maybe HSS, but I have no real knowledge of the difference between classics, vintage, or noiseless. I want something that's stereotypically strat-sounding, whatever the hell that means.

Help!

Can't beat red+maple combo. Blue or green are good too. I'm not a fan of bursts.

As for the noiseless - I've got a set of those in my strat and I loving love them. They're the authentic strat sound without the need for a noise gate. Highly recommended.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Noiseless in the bridge, SD duckbucker in the mid, and some big stupid bucker in the neck. SD jazz is a classic. Go beyond the classic strat sound.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I could be wrong, I'm not an expert on pickups, but I believe the number of windings impacts the field strength.

On a solenoid, a greater number of turns will increase the strength of the magnetic field induced by a current. But on guitar pickups, it's different because instead of using electricity to conjure up a magnetic field, we're taking an existing magnetic field, and vibrating strings thru it to induce a voltage in a coil (which is in the same magnetic field).

My understanding is that more turns on the coil's wire will increase the pickup's output amplitude. A stronger magnetic field will also increase the output amplitude. But I don't think the number of turns can increase the magnetic field strength, because the magnetic field is coming from the magnet, not from the copper.

EDIT: now i'm unsure. if a larger voltage is produced by a greater number of turns, that additional energy must come from the strings, right? doesn't that mean they will have less sustain?
:thunk:

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 12, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

i always recommend Alexander Technique

if anybody's interested, i may flesh this out into a separate thread (we need more drat threads in ML)

a.p. dent posted:

something seems to be clicking in my technical work. i've never been able to play fast. i carry a lot of tension in my hands and shoulders and i simply can't do it. alexander technique, i think, is finally helping me break through - with the aaron shearer scale pattern studies, i'm starting to be able to play fast in upper positions while not losing my place in the music. and i am able to sense what note i'm playing at all times. wild!!

ok ok -- I'll bite!

I would like to read your effort post about the Alexander Technique and its application to the Guitar

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I've learned some more about pickups from this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiNyZ463tfA

I learned that a pickup's coil can act as a capacitor, and higher capacitance will attenuate the mid and high frequencies! The geometry of the winding directly impacts the capacitance of the coil, and by achieving a lower capacitance, we get to keep more of our high frequencies!

The highest possible capacitance (and therefore: muddiest tone) is produced by a totally even winding pattern, where each turn is packed as close as possible to the previous turn. But scattering left and right creates more distance between turns, which means less capacitance in the coil. And that means a brighter tone!

I also learned pickups that produce microphonic feedback may have inadequate tension on the coil wire, causing sympathetic vibrations in the presence of loud sounds!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Anyone else play with a harmonica around your neck while playing an acoustic? Asking harmonica questions in the new guitar thread, but they compliment each other so well. I’m struggling, how do you get good?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Helianthus Annuus posted:

The highest possible capacitance (and therefore: muddiest tone) is produced by a totally even winding pattern, where each turn is packed as close as possible to the previous turn. But scattering left and right creates more distance between turns, which means less capacitance in the coil. And that means a brighter tone!

This is why old school original PAFs are so highly sought after compared to some modern pickups - basically the pickups were all wound by hand completely randomly and with no surgical precision consistency which is why they're magical tone machines to certain folks. And also expensive as gd hell. While there's a lot of garbage boomer corksniffer guitar opinions, I kinda understand this one. Winding machines are almost too precise and can actually make pickups worse winding a pickup 100% flawlessly every time. That said, any pickups from any of the major brands (Seymour Duncan, Gibson, DiMarzio, bareknuckle etc) will be great.

Some of the best value pickups out there though are a used set of Epiphone probuckers. They're actually really good pickups but people sell them cheap because they assume stock epi pickups are garbage and MUST be replaced.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 12, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So buy a rando PAF, unwrap the thing, then wrap it back up?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
That's really interesting. I was looking at some Jazzmaster style pups for bass at Mojo pickups and was wondering why scatter wound was a selling point.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

nitsuga posted:

So buy a rando PAF, unwrap the thing, then wrap it back up?

unless you got a pickup winder, don't bother. it's a lot more winds than you would think

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

unless you got a pickup winder, don't bother. it's a lot more winds than you would think

Just clamp it to a drill bit and go to town on a spool of enameled copper wire.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

BCRock posted:

Help!

Fiesta red with mint pickguard.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I've learned some more about pickups from this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiNyZ463tfA

I learned that a pickup's coil can act as a capacitor, and higher capacitance will attenuate the mid and high frequencies! The geometry of the winding directly impacts the capacitance of the coil, and by achieving a lower capacitance, we get to keep more of our high frequencies!

I also learned pickups that produce microphonic feedback may have inadequate tension on the coil wire, causing sympathetic vibrations in the presence of loud sounds!

Makes sense, classic lipsticks were wound completely randomly, that was supposedly always a big factor.

muike posted:

8,000 to 10,000 is pretty common!

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
There's probably a serious survivorship bias to old pickups and guitars in general. The bad PAFs got thrown out and the good ones got treasured.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If you're not prepared to hand-wind your own pickups again and again until the tone is just right, do you even really care about guitar?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I just bought a ramshead big muff and got my Tele set up good and it's over for you nerds*

*my social life

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

luchadornado posted:

If you're not prepared to hand-wind your own pickups again and again until the tone is just right, do you even really care about guitar?

well, Eddie did it...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

b string sitars but only on my third fret. ugh

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is there a slight divot there? If not, the 4th fret is probably just ever so slightly high and it should be an "easy" fix relatively speaking.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure it's all the other frets that are low, sitar is awesome.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh another thread christening thing:

RAT is best pedal

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I played a 335 the other day and I can't believe how much I liked it. How close can it get to things like Knopflers LP on Brothers on Arms?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
335s are so good. It's funny because I feel like as I got older, I noticed more and more people using 335s on stage than Les pauls. They handle drive really well and in my opinion sound infinitely better than a LP when clean.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

RAT is best pedal

i agree.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

RAT is best pedal

HELL YEAH SISTER

edit to the tune of the train song

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

landgrabber posted:

RAT is best pedal
nobels > rat

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

HELL YEAH SISTER

edit to the tune of the train song

it's an OD and then a distortion and then a fuzz as you turn the knobs up. it sounded good on my telecaster. it sounds good on my JB guitar. i saw a youtube vid earlier today where it sounded good on a modular synth. i think mine was like $90 and i bought it brand new.

it's so tight

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the RAT is the secret sauce to a bunch of tones

Split the difference and run a turbo rat into an ODR1

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

I played a 335 the other day and I can't believe how much I liked it. How close can it get to things like Knopflers LP on Brothers on Arms?
The big neck-through hollowbody is going to resonate and you will hear that in the amped guitar's output. It could obscure your attack and affect your sustain a little, but luckily Knopfler's tone is already really really compressed and dark, so I can't say just how much you will notice it. The short answer to your question is "reasonably close." The more similar the pickups are the closer you will get.
Brothers In Arms is actually the only Dire Straits album I have, I got it and The Nylon Curtain on vinyl with my first bedroom stereo, and I played the hell out of those records.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Dr. Faustus posted:

The big neck-through hollowbody is going to resonate and you will hear that in the amped guitar's output. It could obscure your attack and affect your sustain a little, but luckily Knopfler's tone is already really really compressed and dark, so I can't say just how much you will notice it. The short answer to your question is "reasonably close." The more similar the pickups are the closer you will get.
Brothers In Arms is actually the only Dire Straits album I have, I got it and The Nylon Curtain on vinyl with my first bedroom stereo, and I played the hell out of those records.

I've heard several people say that an LP sounds like a compressed 335. Does that mean running a 335 through a compressor gets you part of the way there?

The pickups I'd put in a 335 are Wolfetone's Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage, which are basically designed to be what Page used circa '72 when he got that hot bridge replacement.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got some mounting rings and fitted the new filtertrons into my Gretsch. Happy to say it seems to be mostly a success (I previously removed and reinstalled one of it's blacktops after finding the mountings were wrong for the new ones, and also apparently screwed up a pickup on a HB tele that I still need to fix) except for one thing; I periodically get a bunch of hissing and buzzing, which I don't think is from any movement on the strings. It also doesn't disappear or change tone from me flicking the pickup selector.

Hopefully don't need to screw around with mounting again, although the clear mounts I got are not as nice as the original silvery ones, so one way or another I'd like to revert that. I was thinking of transplanting the 'trons to my old SG, but it looks like the mountings won't play nice with the pick guard.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Took my Ormsby to a local luthier here who is apparently pretty legendary in the community. He agreed with me that the neck has some super thick shoulders and he's going to reshape it a bit and give it a nice oil finish. It'll probably be 3 or 4 weeks before I get it back though.

Also I noticed while polishing the frets on my MJ Dinky that you can see wood grain running through the inlays. What's up with that? The only explanation I can think of is they are just pretty thin and I'm seeing the wood underneath them? They are pearloid fwiw

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not only is the RAT the best pedal but the absolutely standard ProCo is probably one of the most reliable gets you can get.

I will say there is a RAT pinnacle in my opinion tho.

This bad boy here. I will forever endorse it. It's a RAT, volume, gain, and... tone and body? What the gently caress? Yeah, so basically body is the traditional RAT filter, shave off the high end. The tone pot tho, that's essentially a Big Muff tone knob, but with a much flatter EQ. The combination of the two means you can dial in those nasty and almost octave-ish Muff levels of treble, but then use the filter to take the icepick away. You're left with basically a really rad trebly fuzz at high gain.

Oh, it also has three clipping modes, a classic move. RATs are already incredibly versatile, but this thing adds even more. If I could only have one dirt pedal, out of all my dirt, it'd be this one.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

RAT is best pedal

RATs you say? Check this one out:

https://blackmasselectronics.com/products/1312-distortion

It comes in pink and hates pigs

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 13, 2022

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

800peepee51doodoo posted:

RATs you say? Check this one out:

https://blackmasselectronics.com/products/1312-distortion

It comes in pink and hates pigs

I have the Missionary Fuzz by them and it slays

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I have a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail which kicks but between all the clipping options is a bit overkill (three clipping modes and then you can control the gain of the two diodes individually).

I had a small box white face too which was good.

I used an OG 80s big box in the studio once that didn't sound like either of them but had it's own vibe entirely and I would have fought the owner for that if I hadn't needed him to mix the rest of the record.

In conclusion, rats are a land of contrast.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rat is one of the few I don't actually have a version of. I liked them into Marshalls a lot, great sound when I tried that in other folks' rigs or in a store, but never owned a Marshall and never owned a Rat as a result.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Aw man what have I done? I've done some more tests and with the new pickups my Gretsch seems to have both pickups active regardless of switch position, how do you even do that? Seems like something you'd have to do on purpose, that accidentally you'd more likely disable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

landgrabber posted:

i approve of most of these

hell yeah celebrity skin by hole is a great song!!

gonna seem funny for me to mention, but seriously -- weezer is a great band to pick up on songwriting and guitar playing from.

often based in power chords, but if you pay attention and find a decent tab, you can pick up the inversions. and often times the leads are more melodic than shred -- i actually can't overstate enough just how much about music and organizing it from playing those songs. he has a really motivic approach to everything.

even just the repetition of the first verse phrase from buddy holly on the guitar in the break between the first chorus and second verse.

Weezer is a great idea! I think I had a little bit of a mental block on them for a while because I tried to do My Name is Jonas a while back and got discouraged by the intro. That whole first album is so much fun!

curried lamb of God posted:

A few of my easier go-tos:
  • The Strokes - The Modern Age
  • Bloc Party - Banquet
  • Blink 182 - Dammit
  • Interpol - Slow Hands

Generally the post-punk stuff from the early-00's isn't too tough to play and not particularly high tempo, and thankfully it's one of my favorite genres so that's a bonus!

Thanks for these ideas too. I was playing around with Dammit and I think that song is aptly named. None of the parts of the main riff are that difficult but my brain just keeps wanting to switch things up and play the wrong part at the wrong time. I'm playing it so slowly it's starting to sound like a country song and my brain keeps switching things around. I'll get it eventually though. :)