Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I played a little on an amp that isn't a Boss Katana but had a bunch of different presets, and it was kinda fun. Does the Boss Tone Studio offer the same sort of thing? eg I can just save a tone for an East Bay Ray punk sound and dial it over to an Andy Taylor or other generic 80s pop/funk sound then to just crunchy blues? Or is there an offboard jack-of-all-trades effects processor I can plug into a Boss Katana?

This is gonna be just a practice amp, so it doesn't need to be loud and huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't suppose the Katana Mini does the fun tone stuff, does it? The 50 watt is probably way too overkill for a learner's practice amp. If it helps I've got access to a friend's Guitar Center discount, and worst case I just turn the master volume way down, but is there a lower power amp that does nifty effects?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tried playing a B&G Little Sister and was stunned by how drat good the neck felt and how perfect the action was. Is there anything at all in the $1400 and below price range that has a similar neck and action? Closest I've found was some flavor of Stratocaster but it was just a tall-ish C neck.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

I have a Little Sister from their made-in-China line. It's my favorite electric to just pick up & play. I don't know enough to make any specific suggestions, but it's definitely a thick neck, with a bit of a soft V shape to it, and it has relatively small fret wire. Since you mentioned the action, maybe the smaller frets is what clicked with you?

Yeah, that's the same line I'm looking at. I am a bit iffy at dropping $1100 used on a made-in-China guitar but it could well be thick neck plus small frets that did it. I've been trying tons of other new and used guitars at GC and I haven't found the equivalent yet. The Strandberg I tried was interesting and really made some chords very easy to get to, but it is definitely gonna be a learning curve with the trapezoid.

So yeah are there any thick neck plus small fret guitars that cost less than $1100 new or used or should I just get the Sister and return in 30 if I don't like it? Bonus points for something comfortable in classical position, I simply don't have the arm length for rockstar horizontal.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

In classical you're playing on much lower tension nylon or gut strings so yeah whatever. Also I don't think classical position would make arm/shoulder pull work as well.

I physically can't play in rockstar position - I can play for maybe about ten minutes before my wrist starts to hurt. Classical position is about the only thing that I can do, or at least something close enough so the neck faces upwards. I'm able to do neck/shoulder pull, I just gotta remind myself to do it more.

I tried electric, felt cramped, switched to classical, realized I didn't really care about anything written for classical guitar (and flamenco is too loving much for a very real newbie) so after working with an Eart ergo guitar, came to realize it's just a matter of getting a guitar whose lower bout allows classical position playing. That plus the fat neck seems to really help. Gonna go pull the trigger on the B&G Little Sister, the question now becomes humbucker or P90.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any acoustic guitars out there with soft V necks or really fat D necks? My B&G Little Sister has been the key to finally getting somewhere learning guitar and I want to keep the neck going. I'm down to spend $1300 before tax and shipping, preferably used.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Are there any acoustic guitars out there with soft V necks or really fat D necks? My B&G Little Sister has been the key to finally getting somewhere learning guitar and I want to keep the neck going. I'm down to spend $1300 before tax and shipping, preferably used.

Throwing it out in hopes of clarity before I spend too long at Guitar Center and not long enough waiting for the right one on Reverb

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants a headless guitar that's gotten a recent setup plus a hardcore padded gig bag for it, I'm looking to sell my Eart GW2-Pro: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039887

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know a place where I can get a cheap neck with a V or very tall/fat C profile for less than $150? I want to venture into a kit that I build as a fun exploratory side project.

There's tons of necks on Reverb but none with a V as far as I can tell, and I'm not yet ready to cough up for licensed necks with V.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been doing all kinds of futzing and permutation with my neck relief, string height, and string gauge over the last few weeks. Is it a normal thing to feel like a 12" radius fretboard is extremely tough to barre on without pushing really hard, and that 9.5" radius guitars feel way easier? I can do "minimal pressure, good sound, doesn't hurt, easily able to shift into/out of - choose any two".

I don't need to buy a second guitar - I'm still learning and would be fine and happy with one that fits and feels good. As long as the neck is on the thick side, I can live without a V profile, especially now that I'm a little better at minimal pressure for anything other than barres.

I've already had a full setup and fret dressing/leveling done, so we can safely rule out setup issues. Even fresh from the setup, it's just really, REALLY tough to get my finger bone to extend or tilt in a conducive way to barre and fret at the same time. I've tried a few Strat-esque necks, and a cheapo Squier Jazzmaster 40th Anniversary feels more comfortable to barre than my $1100-used B&G.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

unzin posted:

Rondo Guitar has a sale with bunch of sub $150 guitars, how is their quality these days?

https://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

I've had my Agile AL-2500 for about 18 years now and it was $240 back then. Good poo poo.

I had a Rondo-manufactured Tele clone last year, branded as Douglas. I paid too much for it from a local independent guitar shop and was extremely a noob with it. I sold it thinking that I'd do better with a classical guitar and wider neck spacing. I was wrong, I just sucked more then than I do now.

There was some minor neck twist which was somehow corrected with a setup. Otherwise, it sounded fine.

Shifting topics - I'm selling my B&G Little Sister Crossroads, or trading for the right V/tall C profile small radius. The radius does indeed make a difference after renting a cheapo Squier Strat for a few days. Selling for comfort is legit, right? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041845

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think I might sign up for Rocksmith. I need to gamify this experience due to having hosed up adhd. Anyone use it lately?

I too have ADHD and if modern day Rocksmith is anything like the console/PC version (which can be had easily for free with a fuckton of user made songs) it is not a good learning tool.

They don't really teach fundamentals well, just how to play Rocksmith well. It doesn't understand when hyperfocus is detrimental and when repetition is annoying. It does not adapt well to how you play, just the binary "did you do this exactly correct or not" for every single note, bend, etc. The practice games on the PC version take forever to restart if you lose and it's infuriating as hell.

If Rocksmith exists in an improved form, go for it, just don't pay too much or expect a serious practice/teaching tool.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My Flying V forces me to play seated in a classical position. I feel like Andres Segovia Hetfield.

Classical position for non-classical guitars isn't a bad thing. For me it's the most comfortable way to play - I can keep my hand, wrist, and arm parallel, so less stress and thus less chance of RSI. I couldn't seem to practice more than 10 minutes in rockstar position.

I just wish they did Flying Vs for bolt-on necks, their regular neck is just too darn thin. I loved where the V puts the neck while sitting in classical but alas.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 18, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

it feels wrong on my left leg. one thing i did realize today is that i was lowering my strap and tilting the guitar to basically be in that position while i play standing -- neck way up in the air.

it kind of stopped me from tensing up as much.

I found that the trick was to achieve two factors:

1) Get your 1st fret at eye level
2) Get the back of your hand parallel to your arm and keep it that way as much as you can

Higher footrest, tighter strap, shuffling and futzing the strap into the right spot, and maybe resting the lower bout within your left thigh or on top of your left leg - or even your right leg depending on the guitar - all helped me get to a drastically more comfortable and sustainable wrist position.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Other than Guitar Center/Sam Ash/local music stores/my state's subreddit, where does one go/post to try and find other instrumentalists to maybe form a Duran Duran cover band? I'd like to play more of their music but it's not really a solo guitar thing. It needs the whole shabang.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

20 Blunts posted:

most of duran duran is programmed beats no?

Perhaps the same could be said of all music; what is music if not a program
:goonsay:

It'd really depend on the keyboard player's ability to multitask but the very Duranie answer is no, not most of it. Vocalist, one guitarist, one bass player, one drummer on actual drums, and one synth/keyboard player. There's definitely a bunch of programmed and sequenced stuff that Nick Rhodes did on every song on every album save for a few, but there's still a lot of live synth playing. Sure, patches got saved to the equipment and computers, so it's not like he's doing everything on Moogs.
Nah, Duran Duran isn't synthpop like the Human League, who I think had a rule stating no guitars were allowed in the band. They ended up breaking the rule but it was a pretty good song to break it on, IMO.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JV Modified 50s Strat. I had played one of these in Sam Ash last week and thought it was perfect and I'd never be able to afford it

Guitar Center coughed up $700 for my B&G and I was Bitter & Gasted about it just being enough to cover a 50s Classic Modified in a color I didn't like, but then I saw someone on Reverb had one for $835, time to loving yolo

Shipping and tax did not help but holy loving poo poo once I had it on my strap, barreing was drat near effortless and sounds great. I'm going to learn so much more now that it doesn't hurt/stress to play and thus frustrate the poo poo out of my ADHD'd brain.

That plus some guy was selling an unknown Jazzmaster neck that I can take a belt sander to means I can probably do something fun and cheap once I confirm its radius and find a body that I like

and I gotta find a spare Strat body that I can paint sea-foam or just loving do a synthwave fade on it for this neck

Futzing is more fun than music goddammit

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

Hell yeah it is - I just finished my partscaster and said "never again" and I'm already thinking of how to build a Gilmour-ish strat on a budget

I blame Dingwall for issuing the Duran Duran dream bass with like six hours notice and only making 82 of them. Now I have to paint a body in the same color scheme. Duranie law is clear

Side question - if I have a Boss Katana, can i use a generic keyboard pedal as an expression pedal or does it have to be an EX-P or similar?

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 22, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

o no gas got me again ordered a squier 40th ann. JM sighhhhhh

JFC these were like $400 last week. I played one at GC, it was almost good enough to buy and not get the more expensive Strat. The neck feels way taller than a similar C shaped one and it felt way wider spaced. Also the matte seafoam + brushed gold guard is sexy.

I wish my friend still worked for Guitar Center, the employee discount is great.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

it just seems like my entire cities scene is full of metal, blues-rock, pop-punk and people who cant let Oasis go

oh god oh crap I like Oasis, I've been super proud of the fact that I was finally able to play Morning Glory at actual speed and have been improving at the solo. Is it bad to like Oasis. Am I hosed. I swear I haven't played Wonderwall in public

Meanwhile I finished reshaping a cheapo $20 generic Jazzmaster neck into a sharpish V profile and learned a lot about how to use and how not to use a belt sander in the process. Also how to use wood filler. I've got a loaded Squier Jazzmaster body on the way, and only after I mashed the order did I realize I was only like $80 away from getting the cheapo 40th anniverary one... $214 shipped vs. $299 just go out and get it, and I coulda had another neck to futz with.

Oh well, it's gonna get used as take-apart fodder and I'm gonna repaint it a la the Rio dream bass anyway, it'll have "sentimental value"

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 26, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Leck posted:

It's Mike Muir!

Did he ever get that Pepsi?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Jazzmaster neck has no tuners. It's got 9.8mm bore. The Jazzmaster body itself has a tremolo. Should I just be looking for a set of Gotoh locking tuners and call it a day? Or is there anything in particular I should keep in mind for tuner type/brand/style?

Extra points if I can get the knobs in a custom color but I'm starting to think such a thing doesn't exist other than painting and topcoating

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How far are we from AI being able to answer "I'm using this fingering for a chord, find me the nearest and easiest fingering for Chord X"? SmartChord has too goddamn many possible fingerings and other chord apps are great at listing fingerings for chords, but not for getting from chord to chord, especially if you're adding different bass notes.

Yeah, I know, it's possible to figure it out myself, but it's also possible to do algebra on a calculator if you understand how to do it on pen and paper.

Disco Pope posted:

I just impulse bought (well, financed) an HSS Player Plus Strat. Honestly, it's everything I want in guitar spec, and it looks vaporwave. I promise I am done with wanting guitars now until the next time.

The blue fade one? That's deffo vaporwave lookin'. This is like the platonic ideal of vaporwave lookin' guitars and I wish it existed in an MIJ strat body.

extra points for vaporwave lookin' status if you're able to find a place that sells the discontinued-and-won't-be-made-again Solo Jazz ripoff strap

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 28, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

in some ways not that far off but probably still a good ways from anything interesting or not at risk of copyright

my jazz teacher made tabs for jazz tunes and drat those things were incredibly helpful. I'm like constantly upset I can't get that for any song I want. that would be like the ideal level the AI would hand me inversions

I suppose it would be easy to an extent to layout all the possible inversions, but which one you choose has such an impact on the phrasing melodically. which one you choose while looking ahead in the song leads to some very complex and subjective choices.

I imagine the jazz teacher level downselection to only a few inversions that sound melodically interesting, and having context in more than just one bar/change will be a a ways off yet

I have an app that a goon wrote which does the find-the-nearest-chord thing, but I think it only does open fingerings. ChatGPT doesn't seem to give good/correct answers (at least the public model).

Gonna have to find a guitarist that can write code and see how cheaply this could be refined to be "here's the closest" functionality.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SwissDonkey posted:

Having never played jazzmaster or jaguar, I bought a Vintera 60s Modified Jazzmaster in surf green (online, was a little drunk and researching guitars and this one popped up 40% off) and good loving lord it is the best guitar purchase I've ever made. Absolutely kicking myself for never trying an offset before.

I have 7 guitars with 12" radius fretboards and it turns out I like 9.5" way more, we truly are our worst enemy sometimes

Going from 12" to 9.5" radius was quite literally like removing an engine governor. I cannot express in words how drastically it's helped me get comfortable barreing. It's kinda interesting, because the 7.25" Vintera I tried was no better than the 12" in getting comfortable, good-sounding barres. There's no single formula, I just wish I'd even thought to try it out in that scenario, but live and learn.

It's really weird, my acoustic is this wonderful Takamine that definitely has a 12" radius, but for some reason I don't have the same trouble barreing as I did on my 12" radius B&G. The Taka has a standard C-ish neck, the B&G had the wonderful soft V neck, maybe it's just the action and size of acoustic strings that do different bits and bobs.

I just wish it was geometrically possible to have an electric with 9.5 radius and 46mm+ neck to allow for classical guitar string spacing.

Meanwhile I finally finished up with the $20 Jazzmaster neck, it has been turned into a drat near Clapton V profile compounding into a regular C thanks to a belt sander and wood filler. It ain't perfect and it still needs a nut, tuners, and a body, but all those are en route. This'll be an interesting project, I have no need for another guitar but someone has to copy the Rio bass and it might as well be me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

I started playing the guitar a few months ago and really enjoy it. I’ve improved a lot but I’ve been trying to improve my chord technique and noticed how claw like my left hand is, even after 4 months of practice.

Are there any good exercises or techniques for increasing the flexibility of my fingers? I’ll keep practicing but feel like some other (old) person has been through this.

What helped me was drawing dots on the very very tips of my fingers and using them as targets for fretting. If you don't feel the string near the target that you drew on the fingertip, back off, shake your hand out, and try again. Also, make sure you're keeping the back of your hand parallel to your wrist when doing so. Not parallel? Adjust your guitar's position and/or tighten your strap.

They're closed for Sukkot, if anyone grabs this just be prepared for it to not ship until the 9th

MJP fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 1, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I played my guitar with other people for the first time ever yesterday. It was in a real rehearsal studio. It kicked rear end. I want to do it again.

I'm spoiled by my Katana 50 effects. The studio amps were just clean/distort. Is there any way to just turn a laptop into one pedal to rule them all and just pick/choose what I want in advance then control it with a foot switch? It'd be nice to acquire pedal effects on a PC and not accumulate physical gear that I gotta schlep.

Or if there's such a thing as a multi-effects pedal that's easy to organize and foot-switch and expression control (eventually I'll at least want to take a token shot at the Shaft theme, and you need expression wah for that) I'd be down for recs. Anything available used is greatly preferable to coughing up for new. I really don't see myself spending more than like $150ish for this sort of thing.

I really don't want to go acquiring a bunch of pedals. I don't need nor want to participate in the gear arms race for logistics and personal concerns. I'm willing to live with "it's not as good as an actual Echoplex or Tube Screamer or Horsemeat or Killfuzz or Gobfnorfler but it'll do" if it means I don't carry around a ton of pedals.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do be careful with finger stretches - I thought I should do them but I think I went too hard and was in actual pain while playing, as opposed to just stress or worked-muscle feelings. I stopped doing more than just a basic mesh-your-fingers-and-stretch then shook 'em out and the issue went away.

Granted, my problem is that I gotta learn to lighten the gently caress up and not press harder, so YMMV and I am not an upper-extremity orthopedist so when in doubt, ask an actual doctor.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to use a generic expression pedal (eg one from a digital piano) with a Zoom G2 Four or other multi-effect processors, as long as the pedal's got a 1/4" jack?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Zoom G2 Four and G2x Four have presets not only for early Duran Duran but two - TWO - different styles of city pop.

All I gotta do is get the people selling 'em on Reverb to respond to my offers. Took out the city pop songbooks I got from Japan when I was there a few months back since my new guitar teacher asked me if I knew it. It is time.

Speaking of city pop - if I'm doing the thing where I'm strumming a barre on all six strings, and I'm lifting enough to have a muted strum, is there a way to cut down the clacking tone sound that comes from the muted strum? An extra-thin pick helps but it isn't 100%. I'm guessing this is some kind of pedal or effect wizardry that I'll have to futz with but I'm now emotionally prepared.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where does one go to buy used guitar cable that isn't FB Marketplace? I need a few six footers and $25ish each new seems like it's a bit pricey.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

another little heads up for our lefties: strandberg is making left handed guitars, which are due to be released before the end of the year. if that interests you, i suggest subscribing to their news letter so you can get one shortly after they release, because i bet they will all sell out. https://strandbergguitars.com/boden-lefty-nx-6/

i have a right-handed strandberg tele, and i really like it for its light weight and ergonomic shape, but my G&L tele sounds a little better and has better tuning stability. i don't like the strandberg headless tuners at all, but it's not a deal breaker. i play the strandberg more overall :shrug:

I was EXTREMELY tempted by Strandberg while my friend was still working at GC and eligible for their employee discount. If all you want is a lightweight headless ergo and don't mind the lack of fanned frets and the very interesting trapezoidal neck profile, these are mighty cool (and yes, they do have a lefty version as long as you don't mind that it's padauk with burl veneer top and not solid wenge like the GW2 Pro) and didn't need much more than a setup. Wasn't for me and my 9.5-radius-v-neck-lovin' rear end in the end, but it's not a bad alternative. There's also Aliexpress/DHGate sellers that will pretty much clone a Strandberg for 1/4th of the price, even the semi-hollow ones, but I can't speak to that experience.

It was a solid, quality guitar. The wheel adjust neck relief was wonderful. The grub screws they use for the string retention and saddle adjustment are a bit soft, so use Torx bits or go easy in turning.

I got mine while it was only around $450ish, but inflation hath wrought. Might be others secondhand out there.

Completely unrelated side question. Has anyone ever owned or had long term experience with Soviet and Warsaw Pact made electric guitars? I love the idea of having one for historical value, and while I understand that the electronics would probably need to be fully revamped and redone, can you still at least adjust neck relief and action?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is this hum when using a multi effect pedal normal or a sign that I need to get a power conditioner for this outlet? First plug is the powered amp input in the back of my Katana, second plug is the regular input on top. https://imgur.com/a/pvfP6WT

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's fairly present from volume 5 on up on the guitar, using the power supply that came with the Zoom. FWIW I get a little hum any time I've got my guitar switched to any single coil pickup (as opposed to two single coils or the humbucker)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fullroundaction posted:

I’ve been suckered into a d&d game and been handed the class of Bard. I plan on banking a bunch of little riffs to play on my acoustic for different situations / spells etc. but I’m having a hard time (surprisingly) finding a good resource for short little melodies that would fit for the game.

I’ve learned some typical video game things (Zelda secret sound, FF victory riff etc) but if anyone could point me in a more “traditional” direction I would appreciate it.

Maybe look into Spanish cadenzas or progressions? The kinda dramatic flamenco strum probably has cool variations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

If it's not present when the guitar is turned off or unplugged then it's not a power issue. I'm assuming that's a high gain patch? Sounds like the patches are set very hot and your guitar is picking up noise.

I get a little hum on any single coil pickup with or without the effects pedal. The effects in question usually are only around 50-60 gain, I gotta get them to 0 to eliminate the hum. It's there with headphones as well.

I'd hope that a 2022 MIJ Strat would be properly shielded and I'm using Boss shielded cables. Might just get a power conditioner and return it if it doesn't work.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok but when the volume on the guitar is turned to 0, does it still make that noise?

No noise at all with the volume at 0. I also started sweeping around the house with a borrowed portable am. There's EMI coming from the floor and ceiling. So yeah it does indeed look like the guitar itself is inadequately shielded.

The fix there is to pop off the pickguard, line the cavities with some pasted-on tin foil, pop off the electronics and paste tin foil on the back of the pickguard, right? Just turn the whole electronics cavity into one big ol' Faraday cage.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheMightyBoops posted:

A mexi strat should have the entire cavity section of the pickgaurd shielded. When I wired some of my own pickups I tried tinfoil shielding and it caused more issues than it solved. If you really need to shield more of the pickgaurd get paint or some of that shielding that’s adhesive on one side. Learning to position myself in the room honestly did more than any shielding has.

I've got mine open on the workbench as we speak. The cavities are not shielded at all, just bare wood. MIJ, manufactured in 2022. The Squier Jazzmaster I took apart to turn into a Rio guitar has freaking conductive paint applied. The pickguard is shielded, at least. Got the tinfoil tape out and I'm making the cavities look like a paranoid's wallpaper. Hopefully that helps a bit.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also I think I want guitar lessons from someone. Not someone who's really good at guitar and expensive, I want someone who is good at organizational skills and will just tell me what to practice and how to practice(It needs to be metal focused at least partly) because my ADHD is ruining it all for me. Does anyone have suggestions on how to find someone like this.

I've had great success in working with an actual music school that focuses on kids in the area doing school music programs. Real instruments, yeah, but they're used to saying "here is how you should structure what you work on" and all that stuff. All the guitar teachers I had were just musicians with music ed degrees and had zero ability to understand how to approach the learning process for someone who just simply couldn't (and still can't) get two or more different things together without difficulty, but will get it eventually.

You could also reach out to the education department of local universities and see if they have any special ed people who play guitar and would be interested in tutoring; maybe there's some kind of practicum they could get or you could just pay hourly.

As a fellow guitarist with ADHD, I also find that one of the best things you can do (if you aren't already) is learning how to forgive your mistakes. It's not easy for me, maybe it is for others, but the sheer amount of "ugh, I got it wrong, let me stop and re-do it until I get it right" is not beneficial.

Do poo poo and mess up, but keep going even if you keep loving up the same scale or fingering or progressing. Once it's done, you can focus on the rough parts until you get it right or redo the whole thing if you think you can get it.

Break things up. Make small practices of the things that you mess up on. Allow the fact that you're not going to be a massive guitar prodigy to exist. It's not a bad thing - you will indeed learn, you will indeed get better.

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 10, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No dice, shielding the cavities and ensuring they are grounded to the shield in the pick guard still picks up humming at high gain when I point the pickups anywhere once the Pickguard is back in and grounded.

At this point should I be testing my house's circuits for bad grounds?

Edit: just killed every other circuit but the one where the guitar is on, still had the hum but it wasn't as bad. Turning the circuits back on increased the hum.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 10, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

No dice, shielding the cavities and ensuring they are grounded to the shield in the pick guard still picks up humming at high gain when I point the pickups anywhere once the Pickguard is back in and grounded.

At this point should I be testing my house's circuits for bad grounds?

Edit: just killed every other circuit but the one where the guitar is on, still had the hum but it wasn't as bad. Turning the circuits back on increased the hum.

Okay so I hadn't shielded the cavity where the cable plugs in, and doing so + soldering a wire from pickup cavity to plug cavity, it basically grounds out the entire thing - I get no signal unless I wiggle the plug just right, and even then if I move around it drops out. Dead silent. No hum at all.

I put electrical tape on the 5-way switch and volume pot facing the shielding, but I still pick up interference that varies depending on where I point the guitar.

If I unplug the guitar, I still pick up a little hum from the unplugged amp.

I'm just gonna see if Sam Ash sells power conditioners/transformers with a return policy, undo the shielding, and see if that helps. The shielding definitely didn't fix much even before I had just shielded the pickup cavities. I do have some foil tape going over to the holes where the screws plug in, so it's getting contact with the pickguard shield. I wish I knew what was wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

I’m not convinced the poster isn’t experiencing normal single coil cycle hum at high gain. Did we establish if the noise goes away when the guitar is unplugged or if it reduced when you touch the strings. And don’t point it at your amp

Edit: I can’t read, but if the noise is substantially reduced or gone with guitar off then it’s just single coils at high gain. What happens when you touch the strings (grounding them)

There's no change if I touch the strings while the hum is happening. The guitar's an SSH with a push-pull humbucker. There's a little hum with the humbucker in regular humbucking mode but when it's pulled and in single coil mode, it's mad loud. If I have it on clean tone on my Katana it's still there, any effects on the Katana or multi-effect pedal just hum louder.

I've pointed it in numerous different directions at multiple spots. There's maybe one or two physical points in space with the guitar pointed at an unplayable angle and at an unplayable height where the hum goes 100% away for the humbucker and is reduced to acceptable levels for a single coil.

Edit: just for giggles I grabbed one of those cheapo outlet testers, the wiring is correct. I also plugged the Katana directly into an outlet rather than through a power strip, no change.

MJP fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 11, 2023