Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
A new thread, so it feels like a good time to post this.

I've been playing on-off for the last couple of years but the last month I've really been bitten by the practice bug. I've started trying to find easy songs to play along with on Youtube. It's neat how even really simple songs can have you practice a bunch of different skills.

Stuff I've done so far:
- Hole: Celebrity Skin -> Fairly easy to follow power chords and power chord changes.

- White Stripes: Feel in Love with a Girl -> B,A,D,E, major changes and a chance to practice changing from E to a F# bar chord. Great rhythm that I don't have to feel too precise about to get the right feel.

- Jack White: 16 Saltines -> Fairly simple power chord changes, a section to practice hammer ons, and the 1st part of the solo is a series of triplets going down (I think the 1st position Pentatonic scale)

- Twisted Sister: I Wanna Rock -> A major chord into power chords. Some variations in the rhythm at different parts in the song. Not too complicated but I feel pretty cool when I play along to it.

- Green Day: Hitchin a Ride -> Power Chords, Palm Muting, Muting with your fretting hand, E major to F# major bar chord practice, I think some octave chords if you do the solo.

- Pearl Jam - Corduroy: Multiple string picking for the intro, quicker power chords into a G major shape. A series of chords for the chorus based off of the G major shape.

- Lick it Up - Kiss: Single string picking, palm muting, G, D, A major chord changes, simple bends for the bridge, couple of different bar chords. A neat thing I found is that this song just seems to be a practical lesson in hand movement conservation.

Does anyone have any similar easy songs that I could maybe add to the list?

Also thanks to the Goon that said you can get Fedex to spiral bound your books for $7. That's a game changer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

landgrabber posted:

i approve of most of these

hell yeah celebrity skin by hole is a great song!!

gonna seem funny for me to mention, but seriously -- weezer is a great band to pick up on songwriting and guitar playing from.

often based in power chords, but if you pay attention and find a decent tab, you can pick up the inversions. and often times the leads are more melodic than shred -- i actually can't overstate enough just how much about music and organizing it from playing those songs. he has a really motivic approach to everything.

even just the repetition of the first verse phrase from buddy holly on the guitar in the break between the first chorus and second verse.

Weezer is a great idea! I think I had a little bit of a mental block on them for a while because I tried to do My Name is Jonas a while back and got discouraged by the intro. That whole first album is so much fun!

curried lamb of God posted:

A few of my easier go-tos:
  • The Strokes - The Modern Age
  • Bloc Party - Banquet
  • Blink 182 - Dammit
  • Interpol - Slow Hands

Generally the post-punk stuff from the early-00's isn't too tough to play and not particularly high tempo, and thankfully it's one of my favorite genres so that's a bonus!

Thanks for these ideas too. I was playing around with Dammit and I think that song is aptly named. None of the parts of the main riff are that difficult but my brain just keeps wanting to switch things up and play the wrong part at the wrong time. I'm playing it so slowly it's starting to sound like a country song and my brain keeps switching things around. I'll get it eventually though. :)

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

So I also like Fenders and I really enjoy playing my Meteora.

But I was watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXS90f7pRI) on how to play a Kiss song and I noticed several of the comments complaining about how the instructor's Fender didn't sound right for the song. It did sound a little piercing to me, I'm not sure of what the official term for that is.

So if I got a Les Paul Style guitar to keep in Eb tuning for classic rock, what would be the way to go? Preferably total under $500.

Something like a Firefly with this https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/high-power/super-distortion in the bridge for that Ace Frehley sound?: Or has another budget brand taken that crown?

Or should I remind myself that my Fender is just fine and this is just GAS?

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

landgrabber posted:

it's too piercing not because it's a fender, but because it's a single coil strat pickup

e: also it sounds to me like he's dialed in his amp or pedal to be pretty scoopy and the strat pickup as it is would honestly be a lot closer if he just turned the "mids" knob up and the "bass" knob down a little bit. but i digress.

Cool, that makes me feel alot better. Thanks for saving me a few bucks!