Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Gramps posted:

Iteration is 190, and you have to hit THIS motherfucker on the fly
x
x

For the love of christ my fackin handssss
Also- try singing it hahahahahahahahaha ow my vocal cords. I don't know what Chris was thinking on this record but everything is so loving high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omgYNxZseA

Chris does a patreon podcast thing, A Catastrophic Break with Consensus Reality. I think for this record he said the problem was 1. Chris was mixing it himself early on before being handed over for emergency mixing once he realized he was in over his head and deadlines were approaching 2. Chris was recording himself singing by himself with no outside opinion. So it ends up being that he did a lot of things that weren't really realistic for even him, it's why much of this record gets either drop tuned or skipped live too. He also has found other ways to do the songs with different melodies for the vocals live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Continuing the good work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcBEOcPtlYk

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

A lot of peavey pickguards don't line up 1:1 with their equivalent fender ones, or at least the generation exp I have looks like a tele but is a different shape, especially the horn. Looking at it there were also a few variations of it depending on the year. This site shows a couple of the variations for the predator. I've had to get pickguards made custom for mine over the years.

https://www.pickguardplanet.com/peavey-predator-guitar-pickguards/

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

You can try the James Taylor offset tuning adjustment to make the capo work better. Tune each string off by the following cents. Should work in other standard tunings but for the tuning you are working with you can try knocking the low D and F# strings down an extra cent or two to see if it works out.

E -3
B -6
G -4
D -8
A -10
E -12

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

It's more complicated than the pick itself pulling notes sharp it's also about Just Intonation being a thing in addition to Equal Temperment. Taylor's tuning acts as a middle ground between these two temperments (our ear hears both as in tune to an extent) and also works to compensate for capos (and just, notes in general when fretted) pulling notes sharp.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Jaguar's are built to float, it's the same trem as a jazzmaster. The bridge is pretty good at staying in tune when setup right and a lot of people swear by using shims in the neck to help raise the break angle. I am dead set on getting a player Jaguar sometime myself.

Worth watching this for some information on what you need to know re: setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BafuV4jWt9c

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Folks do I buy a players grade heavily HEAVILY modded 75 (best guess) Gibson Les Paul deluxe? Mini bucker neck is og, vintage dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. Body finish was removed, plays well (I usually dislike Les Paul necks but this one is nice), has a phase switch and a switch currently not wired up to anything, brass nut and saddles. Needs some work (the replaced tuners should be straightened but are okay as is) but it’s really an interesting guitar and it’s a good price.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

does it fill a hole in your guitar collection and it does something different than your other guitars, or does it fill a hole in your need to buy a new thing?

Thinking seriously, right now I have an American tele and a heavily peavey t style I’ve modded to be hsh. Before seeing this I’ve been thinking about looking for a guitar with a whammy sometime (either a player jaguar or a Kramer with a Floyd) but I am missing having a shorter scale length than 25.5 lately. Plus a super distortion and a mini humbucker are sounds I don’t get from my hsh right now so signs point to yes. Honestly the mini bucker is a big reason for me to consider it as it sounds great. The phase option is also a fun gimmick but maybe not something I’ll use a lot. It also fills a hole from when I sold my epiphone sg a while back for me.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Incoming photos. I also am happy that this is my first guitar equipped with a producer switch.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I was well aware of the headstock before buying it. It being repaired honestly makes me feel better considering how often Gibsons have issues with them so it's not a problem for me in the future. I also didn't buy it privately, I got it from the place I work at so it's a safe bet for me for a variety of reasons.

e: It's a player's guitar priced for that and honestly it has more character in it than any Gibson I've touched in half a decade selling the things outside of the 50s Les Paul Junior that we got that the original owner was selling because his hands didn't work well enough to play anymore. As his hands started going bad on him he kept doing open tunings and clamping a capo on the guitar in various places and did it so much that he made trenches in the neck, it honestly ruled. ee: the guitar ruled not the arthritis to be clear haha

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 31, 2023

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

very pretty. how are the frets?

looks like it might need a refret sooner rather than later

They are pretty flat but not so bad that I think I'm gonna get that done anytime soon. I'm gonna take it to my shop's tech in the next month to see what he thinks after I've played it for a bit since he'll do a free setup on it, and we can discuss other work then. I don't find any notes too much of a problem to play outside of the 22nd fret being a little hard to make sing. There's also a part of me worried that refretting it will change the feel so dramatically that I won't like how it plays as much after so it's a bit of a decision.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

ethanol posted:

an old deluxe probably came with fretless wonders I'd think. even if they didn't label it as fretless wonders because it's not a LP custom they still might be rather short. If it plays without buzzing / bothering you in some way then it's likely not needing fret work. that can look deceptively like wear when they're just meant to be like that. my new modern has very short frets, shorter than a LP standard but they have the same medium jumbo wire according to the specs.

i sometimes wonder... since the modern has an ebony board and mop inlays like a custom, i strongly suspect gibson is using the same boards for both the custom and modern, maybe even by mistake. if you see the gibson usa factory they build the necks up to the boards with frets installed before setting them to the body. so the person setting the neck basically grabs the right one from a stack of them. that deluxe is a rosewood board so not saying that happened there, but i could easily see them having more variation in frets back then.

edit: wear should be a bit uneven so you might be able to tell if there are divots or uneven spots whether they are just like that from the factory. It does look played a lot so they very well could be worn. or maybe the owner even refretted them to be like a custom. are the nibs intact?

It plays good outside of the E string 22nd fret being a little hard to get to sing, the most wear I see is on the frets over the body which I'm not too worried about right now for the recording I'm working on. No real divots or anything, the last owner didn't play it a ton based on what my coworkers said though they weren't the original owner, coworkers also said it may have had a refret but not recently and if so it was a good job because they didn't gently caress up the binding in the process. The nibs are there but that is something that can be done right in a refret if you know what you're doing (twoodfrd has a few videos doing that). Less likely if it was refretted in the 80s/90s but still possible if it was done 10-20 years ago. I'm pretty happy overall with how it plays, no real buzzing despite how low it is and if I did refret it I'd be aiming for a lower wire to match it as best I can I think.

I am going to say that it was interesting picking this guitar up and a modern reissue 70s Deluxe and realizing just how different they were not including the mods and wear. The lack of the pancake was one thing on the reissue that I noticed. The reissue was a lot heavier which 1. maybe the removal of the finish on the vintage affected the weight a little but I can't imagine it being that drastic 2. just could be down to those particular cuts of wood 3. maybe the pancake also affects this? Not sure. The neck feel was a huge difference, the vintage is skinnier in the back in comparison which is a big reason I like this guitar and I usually dislike most Les Pauls that have that 59 style neck, the reissue 70s Deluxe had a thicker neck in comparison to the vintage 75. Having the lower frets also makes the neck feel more comfortable for me right now as well I think so it may not all be the neck being skinnier. Overall I will say the neck pickup alone is something I just love because with my old Epiphone SG and every Les Paul I tried in the last few years just left me hating the neck position as they kept sounding so dark and muddy. I nearly picked up the Tony Iommi Monkey SG a while back because it was one of the few Gibson's that I liked the neck pickup on. The og mini humbucker just sounds so loving good and pairs really well with the Super Distortion.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Double checked with someone and the nibs are gone.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

ethanol posted:

when you say reisssue deluxe, do you mean from the custom shop? because gibson is very diligent these days about sorting all lightweight blanks to the custom shop. if it's a gibson USA and not a custom shop then 9 times out of 10 it's a heavy LP in 2023. it's not just gibson, they're all doing this now. of course there are still outliers but rarely

it's one of the main reasons I'm ended up with a heritage instead because they charge way less for a light sorted guitar. The LP modern does a whole different sound though and feel with its huge radius so I've been hanging onto it. both of them are about 8.5 lb but the modern is chambered

I'd be curious to know what the weight of the old deluxe is if you have a scale.

Sorry for the double post, yeah will have to weigh it sometime.

e: Yeah not the custom shop ones, the ones that go for nearly $4000 CAD

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I don't care much for strat trems, but for some reason right now I'm debating picking up a Reverend Jetstream 390. I don't know what it is about the wilkinson tremolo but I hate it far less than I do most strat style trems.