Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

gently caress it bro im going flatwound. never change em.

Flats are only a bummer if a string breaks and you have to wait for the replacement string to age in to match the rest. I think my strings are like 5 years old lol maybe more idk. Also if you get strings that are heavy as gently caress you can set the action impossibly low compared to lighter ones so long as the fretwork is good and the neck is straight. Really simplifies things. Though good luck bending more than a semitone but those are the sacrifices we must make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Problem with that is I have to bend my wrist:

Which is what’s contributing to the wrist pain. Lemme go over the video, maybe it addresses that.

Put your left hand, palm up, on your left leg while sitting with the guitar, wrist straight. Bring your thumb to your middle and index fingers, like you’re pinching something but without the pressure - just the motion. Keep doing the motion, open close open close etc. and gradually bring your hand to the neck of the guitar while your doing it. It’s like your hand is a sock puppet going nom nom nom, thumb touching the index and middle fingers when the sock puppet mouth closes As you bring your hand to the neck continuing this motion, your fingers will end up on the strings (don’t worry about where) and your thumb behind the neck.

If the neck wasn’t there your hand would do the same motion and the thumb would meet your fingers. From your picture you can see that wouldn’t happen if the neck weren’t there - they aren’t aligned. This lets you keep your wrist straight and the thumb placement gives you the most strength/support for pressing the strings.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

It does, thanks. I'll work on those exercises just like I worked on learning the notes to the song, and build up over time.

It can help to set your metronome to count eighth notes instead of quarter notes when practicing harder 16th note divisions so long as the tempo isn’t too fast. That BG3 song seems like a tempo that would be ok to do. It’s easier to feel where the syncopated 16ths go when you can hear the “and” (+) of every beat from the metronome instead of a slower quarter note beat.

If your metronome can’t be set to eighth notes then just double the tempo. So if that was at 60 bpm (guessing but it sounds around there from what he was playing) you would set it to 120 and consider what you’re hearing to be 1 + 2 + 3 + etc. instead of just 1 2 3 etc.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got a monoprice Tele a little while ago and love it. For around 100 bucks I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone, especially beginners since the setup was quite good out of the box. I’ve done some work on it but it was very playable just tuning it right out of the box.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The monoprice Tele I got was set up out of the box. I straightened the neck (I like no relief at all and very low action) and lowered the nut slots. The nut slot height was much better than I’ve seen with squires and even MiM Fenders I’ve gotten in the past, it’s just that everything that affects action I like as low as possible. Frets were perfect, but a little rough. For 100 bucks I’m certainly not complaining. I think it looks great too

Eventually I might consider upgrading the pickups (was thinking of a p90 in the neck which is not something I’ve ever had on a Tele, and the neck routing is large enough for that or a humbucker). The pickups sound really nice though imo, which was shocking for the price. I mainly bought this to control synths though so I’m not sure if I care enough to mess with the electronics. Saddle I ntonation was flawless. The nut is plastic as well - the whole thing makes a wonderful beginner guitar, or guitar for someone more experienced to mess around with while not worrying about messing up something nice. I’m happy with it as is. The tuners are the weakest part - they hold pitch just fine but feel rough.

If I just lucked out, for a little more money they have guitars for sale that are set up once they arrive in the USA before being shipped to the customer. I don’t have any personal experience with those though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I want to get the hummiest pickups I can find, sample the hum by itself and pitch it to like 5 octaves, and then control it with a midi guitar setup. Just only hum sounds for a whole song from my guitar parts.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would love to get a Carvin. Have been gassing for one of their headless guitars for a long time.

I’ve played gigs with more than a few people who have one because they are versatile, and they all felt great. I think I remember in the 90s Carvin was kind of memed on but I was a kid and new to guitar so idk if my impression was accurate. Nowadays though I haven’t heard anyone ever complain about the actual instruments. I think I had a Carvin amp at some point but it was too long ago to remember it either positive or negative.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I didn’t know cult leader David Koresh was a guitarist lol now I know this exists. Carvin should make a signature model. https://youtu.be/msPEF-Zq8_4?si=OXohkhp4PlmPc1Ay

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I haven’t changed strings on my main guitar for like 6-7 years lol granted they are heavy as gently caress and flatwound but I am lucky to not sweat acid.

That said (I don’t always do this anymore) if you keep an old t-shirt/cotton cloth in your case and wipe down the strings every time you’re done playing it helps a lot. I used to always wash my hands before playing but now unless I just ate a pizza, have skin lotion on my hands etc. if they feel dry and smooth I’ll just play.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Working on technique when you’re in a burnout phase can keep your fingers moving when you’re lacking motivation. When the motivation returns you’ll be better off for it than having let the instrument stayed untouched and you can kind of shut off your brain doing technique in a therapeutic sort of way. Though that won’t be the same for everyone.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

They say money can’t buy happiness but if that’s true why am I so happy when I buy gear??

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If anyone looks at you funny you can brandish that thing as a weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Hi, I've been taking lessons for a few months on a Martin HD-28 inherited from my late FIL. We've also got a smaller Alvarez acoustic of some sort I play around on, plus a couple electrics I haven't touched (a Gibson Les Paul that was his favorite electric, and something else that's living in the basement I need to check out). It's fun, so I wanted to say hi!

HD-20s sound awesome and especially having it in the family it’s very cool to be learning on it. Rare to have such a nice instrument earlier on too so that way you won’t feel like a new guitar every month.

Just kidding, it’s only a matter of time before GAS hits you like the rest of us. Welcome!