Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BgNhR9oisM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKzrc2wcxA

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Here's the strat pile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQANhRXDDt0

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

new thread new rule no e/n that means you lg

E: stairway is permitted

YES

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
points to no e/n sign

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gramps posted:

Iteration is 190, and you have to hit THIS motherfucker on the fly
x
x

For the love of christ my fackin handssss
Also- try singing it hahahahahahahahaha ow my vocal cords. I don't know what Chris was thinking on this record but everything is so loving high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omgYNxZseA

what section is that chord in the song? those sus2 torture chords can be a pain in the rear end at first but they're not bad to switch into depending on the previous chord

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Huxley posted:

I'll be honest and say that, having NEVER been able to get rid of the ambient buzz that I get whenever an amp is plugged in at my house, I would probably trade my big 50w modeller for this just on the battery power alone.

The buzz is from a dimmer switch on an overhead fan in the living room. Known bug, unfixable (my wife really likes having a dimmer switch there). So my amp just buzzes at me unless I am alone in the house and can turn stuff off. So it goes.

have you tried changing out the type of dimmer switch used there?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

unless you got a pickup winder, don't bother. it's a lot more winds than you would think

Just clamp it to a drill bit and go to town on a spool of enameled copper wire.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
is it an issue that you can just deal with or is it an actual issue that needs to be repaired?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm sorry, it's GAS.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
yeah this doesn't seem like much of a guitar issue and more of a you issue

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
taps sign pointing to no e/n

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i gotta get a hoagie soon. I was debating spending a bunch of money to get japanese curry and some beers today before going to play magic with my friends, or getting pho for cheap instead

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you can also use spit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

*laughs in hetfield (also adds a yea-huh)*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Most of the time I've found that comes from a lovely patch cable, usually a bad connection between plug and jack.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did you get straplocks?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
eh close enough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

As has been stated, the slot in replacement is cheap. As for how easy: Can you put two drops of superglue roughly where you want?

Eh she might have to position the nut properly and file some of the slots and that's a whole nother afternoon of e/n

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Would cheap, schoolyard PVA be good enough to hold the nut in place or would you need the fancier wood oriented PVA for it to hold well and still be easily replaced?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gramps posted:

Save yourself/other future techs some grief later and use a tiny drop of Elmers to secure your nuts. The strings hold em in place 99.999 percent of the time, the glue is just to keep the nut from flopping off if you take all the strings off. No need for super strong glue.

lol answered my question for me.

It's so surprising to me just how many hobby and craft recipes/fixes use elmer's glue.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
He doesn't recommend super glue for wood. Usually he will use titebond or something like hide glue or fish glue as adhesives.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You should read that book cover to cover imo. Actually everyone should. There's a bunch of really useful little tricks and tips.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Follow the chord progression modally? Instead of just sitting in a box like a rowdy hockey player you'll hop around the board more.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Disco Pope posted:

Sorry if I sound dumb (or should take this to the theory thread), you mean if the progression was say Dm, F, Am, I'd play notes from each of those scales rather than just D minor?

Pretty much, just a little more involved.

So you'd play the relative mode of each chord, so Dm is your root mode which you'll play D aeolian, then F you can play F major (Ionian) and Am you can play A Phrygian.

Literally it's as if you took Dm and filled out every note on the board that's in Dm, and just solo'd in d minor the whole time, but actually you're accenting the root of the chord. It's a fun technique to teach the whole board and get out of the boxes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
cool

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

brushwad posted:

Last week, I promised a trip report on my Squier upgrades in general, and specifically on the Mojotone solderless harness kit, so here goes:

Before -- Stock except for the compensated brass saddles:

Old control plate:

Output jack disassembly:

Bridge and pickguard off:

Stripped:

This would have been the perfect time to knock down some of the finish on the back of the neck, but I chickened out. Oddly, after completing the electronics, I think I changed my mind -- we'll see how ambitious I decide to get over the weekend.

Turns out I *didn't* have to fill'n'drill -- the control plate I bought lined up perfectly:

Old pickups removed from bridge & pickguard:

Parts bag filling up quickly:

New Pickups -- Fender Deluxe Drive -- The sections of surgical tubes are different lengths for bridge & neck, FYI:

First snag -- the pickups came with body-mount screws -- which were too long -- and the Squier pickguard-mount screws were the wrong diameter to fit:

After a trip to my local Ace Hardware:

Pickups in -- the bridge pickup ground (short blue wire) was almost TOO short -- but it worked. Not sure why Fender was stingy with the length of that one wire, I had plenty of room to work with all the others:

I was a little annoyed that the Fender mounting screws were flathead when Squier uses Phillips ... the absolute fidelity to what Leo used in 1952 is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Now for the part you've all been waiting for:

This right angle for the "tunnel" between the output jack rout and the control cavity forced me to come up with a creative solution for running the wires:

Kitchen twine, tied around a screw (for weight) dropped down from the cavity into the rout and ... voilà:

Worked like a charm:

Output jack reassembled -- the old one had a bushing and a plastic/rubber washer on the inside of the plate that didn't fit the new jack, but I think it'll be fine -- if not, I'll make another trip to the hardware store:

Wiring harness mounted to the new control plate -- I forgot to peel off the backing to the adhesive that sticks the solderless gadget to the control plate -- whoops:

All wired up and ready to go:

The new control plate was a slightly "fatter" radius than the old one, so I need to remove some material from the pickguard. I'm thinking maybe trace an arc, use a file followed by a razorblade to clean it up, followed by fine sandpaper? Any suggestions?

I plugged it in, touched a screwdriver to both pickups to make sure I was getting signal, then re-strung it -- BIG improvement once I was finally able to play it -- definitely a success!

After, back on the wall with the rest of the family:

all this work and you still put the plate on backwards

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's a joke about a semi-secret setup for tele control plates where you flip them around and change the order of the pots so it goes volume, tone, switch.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

brushwad posted:

I'll learn to solder ... one of these days -- for now, I've got a better-sounding guitar -- it's something!

You don't have to solder anything for the change, just unscrew the pots from the plate and swap them.

Also this is yet another trick I've learned from watching Dan Erlewine

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

what the gently caress is up with his right thumbnail?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've learned Looks that Kill and I'm learning Kickstart My Heart and as much as I hate to admit it, Mötley Crüe songs are fun to play.

Edit: lol I accidentally posted this in a Star Trek thread first whoops. Browser tabs are a poster's worst enemy.

I hate that they play in D standard because this song is super fuckin fun to play and I don't like taking my standard guitar and putting it in D standard, and I don't want to get yet another guitar for D standard just to play Immortal, Toxic Holocaust, Children Of Bodom, and I guess Motley Crue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahq4blDfU5s

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the vince neil on the zamboni section is new to me and lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Squiers are good now, spend $400 rather than $800.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Stop thinking and just play

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Have you tried setting it to Wumbo?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I. M. Gei posted:

Today I went looking at guitars and when the conversation turned to amps I pointed to a Boss Katana and told the guy that the internet told me to buy that one

I feel like I did good

(not my exact words; I told the guy I'd heard good things about it)

you know what, you did good. it's a good amp

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
talc? I'm legit curious because i've always wondered what that stuff was

edit: apparently talc is used as lube and chalk is how you get grip. source is a bunch of bodybuilding forums that popped up on google

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's awesome that no one learned poo poo from the past three years about baseless claims dealing with anything medical

Did you guys hear that you have cancer if your hand is bigger than your face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

chill out dude i said i was seeing my doctor, i would suggest an identity other than getting annoyed with people

swing and a miss, not everything's about you