Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I've sold 5 guitars in the last month, which is a good thing, but I also have another 11 on the chopping block, and I still have 5 full racks and a couple Yngwie piles of guitars in cases/bags. Yes, I have a problem. I'm also ahead 65% over what I spent this year, and averaging over 60% for the last three years, so they're paying for themselves, basically.

landgrabber posted:

wish gretsch made something a little more aesthetically tasteful than saul goodman's cadillac deville, because filtertrons are super nice sounding

Gretsch Corvette? Solidbody, sort of a cross between a double-cut Les Paul Junior and an Epi Wilshire with the body contours of an SG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Been playing around with the two 3 Series JHS Reverb pedals I got cheap from the Amazon Warehouse for cheap.

Different beasts, different sounds, and I can see putting both on my board. The regular Reverb is more of a, uh, regular reverb pedal, and the Pre-Delay does do a mild echo/slap type thing. The Hall Reverb is something else, especially with the decay maxed out. Spacey, infinite reverb kinda thing, and a little of the shimmer thing with the Modulate switch on.

I'm also up to eight guitars sold in the last month, but I have three more on the way, BUT two of those are set to be fixed up and flipped. The third should be a keeper.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Hondo /Tokai Tele saddles as I got it

A set of brass saddles and a new switch tip later

Next string change I may change the whole bridge since the screw holes are in the right place for a vintage style and I kinda hate 6 saddle Tele bridges because of how the strings curve around the spring and screw before going in the body.

And everything I ever heard about the 70s/80s Tokai Fender copies is true. After a quickie setup these might be the best Strat & Tele I own.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's mostly single notes but the FZ2/SF300 has some real nasty octave-ish poo poo that kicks in sometimes and I think that's what's happening here.

Everyone buy an SF300, it's this album in a box.

Done. Also, get a Dano French Toast and you've covered like 80% of the fuzz sounds you want.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

you just need to buy more guitars so people know you are serious about it

I just get called a hoarder when I do that, but I'm doing something about it at least. Since the middle of June I've bought 5 guitars, but sold 13. There's another 9 that are on the chopping block. I even have space on one of my guitar racks right now.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm just trying to have money to buy ONE trumpet

and y'all in here buying and selling 10+ guitars

I need to get a job :smith:

Right now the sales are paying for the purchases, and what I've sold this year wouldn't pay for half a trumpet. I'm also old as balls and have been buying and selling for ~25 years, so I've been sitting on some of this stuff for a long time. One day you will be able to look around and go"jesus christ, what the hell is wrong with you?"

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Matching finishes are fine

Also gives you reasons to own multiple of the same basic guitar

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Anyone looking for a super-duper deal on a Classic Vibe Squier?

https://www.pawnamerica.com/Product/Fender_Squire_Stratocaster_Electric_Guitar_Red_White_23123017368

Candy Apple Red Classic Vibe 60's Strat, looks to be pretty good shape, with a bag, for $160 and should be free shipping. I'd buy it myself but would just end up flipping it, so I figure I should share some of my deal finding luck. The only thing I would be leery about is the sticker on the back of the headstock over the original serial number. That means refurbished/returned, but beyond that who knows if there was a serious issue or just a paint chip they touched up.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Excellent, I hemmed and hawed on that for a good week before deciding I didn't need it so it's good to see someone here grabbed it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Tain't natural

What about an ash-bodied Les Paul with a maple neck?

widefault fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 19, 2022

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Really that ash/maple LP should have an unbound neck, dot inlays, and a matching unfinished headstock. Maybe 6 in-line instead of 3+3.

Nah, it's going for the 70's Ash Jazz Bass look. I do wish it had black binding on the neck, but the white matches what's on the headstock. But if the headstock was maple, they could have done black binding, but then the mother of pearl logo might not be visible enough.

Maybe I just need to get one custom made.

And the parts box did contain a black poker chip. I do like the contrasting switch tip, so I can leave that be.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Amazon has some of the 3 color sunburst Firefly FFJA Jazzmaster copies for sale for $139.91 with free shipping. They ship from Firebird Music, which is just the "official" retailer. Same model is on GuitarsGarden.com for $149.91 plus shipping, which is another ~$20-25. GuitarsGarden is the official online retailer.

Going to grab one, see how it compres to a Vintage Mod Squier and Affinity Squier.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Next string change I would check all the measurements around the neck and then try tilting the neck angle with the same amount of shim as a single strip of business card. Tilt the high-point of the bridge saddles back down toward the face of the instrument. We could get you a lot of adjustment back just by doing that one thing, but people get super weird about shims and shim materials. ?

I've been using single layers of ~1/4" wide strips of D'Addario string boxes for years with no issues. Basically the same size and thickness of what Fender uses on a lot of their guitars. I know some people prefer a piece of wood veneer or the fancy wood shims because they don't compress as much, but a string box is free and you can double up if you need more of a tilt. I've even used a thin pick on a few really bad neck angles and once bought a guitar that had a dime under the neck heel.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Firefly FFJA, just arrived. I have to go back to work so it won't get a shakedown until later tonight. Fit and finish seem good, frets seem good. Neck is a gloss finish, though, and I expect it to get sticky. It is a bit heavy, but might be lighter than my Squier VM JM.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

muike posted:

is that a knockoff wilky or the real deal??

Real deal

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New single!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9fyRnczzo

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New guitar day

Hondo-branded made in Japan copy of a G&L F-100. Only one pickup working and signs of fuckery in the controls. Should be master volume, two tones(bass and treble), and phase and coil tap switches if they followed the G&L setup. What a rast nest to sort through, if I don't give up and pay someone else to figure it out.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Mooer has a headphone amp that has a four button wireless pedal controller. These are heady times.

I had just the headphone amp(Prime P1), it was not very good. The software interface is terrible, and you really need it because the presets are terrible. It also sounds like a cheap headphone amp. Better as a multi-effect into an amp, but you need to use the app to turn off the amp and cab modeling for that to sound good. It also was in a cheap plastic housing. And a really bad manual, so I ended up spending a bunch if time trying to figure out what did what.

For $150 by itself, really not worth it. At the ~$125 price it shows up for it's better, but I'd spend the money on another Mustang Micro. Not as tweakable, but sounds great out of the box and barely needs a manual.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Decent to really good, made in Korea.

https://samick.fandom.com/wiki/American_Classic_Series

Should be able to find your model there

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
That high-pitched sound is Pat Finnerty squealing while laughing his rear end off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNN3V3PVDs

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
One of the my best friends is a lefty and plays, so I'm always on the look out and sending him stuff, but he never buys any of it because he has good self control.

Which brings me to this for the lefties

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/2020s-Stractocaster-Electric-Guitar.gc

Pretty sure that's a lefty Classic Vibe 60s Squier, used good condition, for $187, shipping is usually another ~$20

Also, there are a surprising number of left handed guitars that come up on ShopGoodwill.com , although mostly lower end stuff. Still, sub $100 off-brand lefty Strat copies could be a deal if you don't mind a little work getting them setup.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Amazon has the Mooer Prime P1 headphone/effects thing as a deal today. $127.49 plus there's a 10% off coupon on the black version. At that price it's about worth it, if you don't mind spending time tweaking things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ST1MFS4

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
My #1 Les Paul

Squier Master Series Made in Korea ~2005. Set neck, 24.75" scale, and a chambered body so it doesn't kill my neck and back.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Regarding SGs that aren't SGs...

Epiphone Wilshire

Squier M-80

muike posted:

i still get a lol out of the fact this is the only place on the internet ive ever seen have this stance on Prs even though i've been reading/posting on music/guitar player boards for like 18 years (embarassing number !)

28 years here, and I can remember Blues Lawyers being a thing way back when I was active on usenet groups.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

muike posted:

It's so crazy that I never really ran into the issue ever. maybe it's just the subset of forums I gravitated towards (metal only basically)

Didn't squier also put out one of the weirder Fenders too, like some set-neck gibson copy type thing? I wish I could remember the name

Esprit?

It's a copy of the Robben Ford model, which was also sold as the Fender Flame and Esprit. Bigger than a Les Paul, smaller than an ES.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

These are always such a joy to see

And continuing the lefty chat, apparently one of the forbidden fruits
I've never seen a lefty version up for sale

They don't last long, this one was listed 5 days ago and probably sold the same day

https://reverb.com/item/60718860-1977-epiphone-wilshire-lefty-cherry-sunburst

I've seen vintage ones show up on Reverb, but none of them show up in searches.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

How are you folks with letting go of guitars that are surplus? I'm up to eight now and it's getting that I need to think if I should hold on to my cheap Strat clone starter guitar. And the SG talk got me thinking if I should buy a proper Gibson and part with my Epiphone G400. Those are my first and second guitars so there's certain sentimental value to them.

I don't have any of the first three guitars I owned. Had chances to sell for a profit or move up to something nicer, so off they went. Do I regret it? Only that I could have gotten way more if I held onto them for a few more years.

Of course, I've also been buying and selling ~8-10 a month with a rack full of projects in my kitchen, with little attachment to most of them as a result. There's a few that I would miss if stolen/destroyed, but everything's for sale for the right amount.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Came across this on KEXP's YouTube channel and was hooked 12 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc44OFKobFQ

KEXP has terrible mixing, so check out their actual recordings, too.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Tad Naff posted:

Ha, get back to us when

Pfft, amateur numbers

Wilshires, Coronets, SGs, and "painted" Strats

Teles

Hondos, amps, stack of full hard cases, stuff in gag bags and an Yngwie pile in the back.

There might be a couple more racks and a few cases under my bed.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Huxley posted:

Do you flip those or cycle things around? Or just collect for the joy of it?

6 of one, half dozen of the other. I buy and flip using the profits to buy stuff for the "permanent" collection, and stuff from that will eventually get sold off to buy whatever new brand/type I'm enamored with at the time. There's really only 5 or 6 guitars that I can't see selling at some time, everything else is available for the right price. LIke, my '75 SG is awesome, and I only paid $375 for it, but if someone offered $1500 I'd be packing it up right now. There are a lot of SGs just as good or better for less than that and the left overs could buy another weird Hondo or Harmony.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I should have a neat Japanese Hondo coming to me, but instead I have an e-mail from Guitar Center a full 36 hours after my order telling me it was "sold in store around the same time" and that I'll get my money back in a week. So they charged me way before shipping, waited a day and a half to ship and found out it in the meantime they sold it to someone else. They get a free one week loan of $285, I get a "free shipping on a used item" offer for the one store only.

So now I'll be on the lookout for this on Reverb, at double the price, I'm sure.

Hondo Professional H-1030, made in Japan, set neck.

And in relation to that, there's a guy buying guitars from ShopGoodwill and listing them on Reverb within a few minutes, using their pictures, and at 3-4 times what he paid. Happily, I don't think he has sold a damned thing.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Tokai was making better Strats and Teles than Fender in the late 70s. They also made them for Hondo.

Hondo Professional Series, Strat dates to 1979 and the Tele to 1980. Tokai also made Fender Lead copies for that Hondo Pro Series, but I don't think they ever sold them under their own brand

Factory stripe job on the bottom one, all date to 1980. Having had a chance to compare, these are noticeably better guitars than a Fender Lead from the same time period.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got a Hondo HDLPS-2AB to match my HD-770

These two are keepers, now to decide what LP copies are going to get sold.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

mweber posted:

Love my Firefly DC LPJ.

I like the double cut carved top LP because it just looks “wrong” in sort of the same way as maple fretboards on LPs.

Yep. Ash & Maple to make it really wrong.

I'm kind of tempted to see if one of the Chinese makers will make me a set neck version with a chambered body, black neck binding, and a natural headstock face as well.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

How come no black knobs?

None in the parts box that fit, and I need to fix the wiring so may change the pots and don't want to buy any knobs until I know what's getting changed.

I did change the poker chip to black

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, I'm hitting that point where I need to do a mass purge of stuff I don't play.

And in the slim body LP, I noticed the Hondo I just got is a good 1/4" thinner than a regular LP.

Black Made in Japan LP on the left, skinny Hondo dead center, and a Korean Lotus LP on the right. The Lotus is probably going to end up on the sell list because it's just too heavy for my bad shoulder and back. But dammit it's pretty.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Amazon has a bunch of the Firefly guitars at cheaper than direct prices, including the red Jazzmaster knockoff for $139.91, free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2Z9CLUJLY9JCX&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am tempted by the pink SG for $159.91, but I really dislike the wonky shape they used to not get sued.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

J Mascis understands that guitars aren't used up after playing a song, right?

Maybe for the average player

Baron von Eevl posted:

Let me tell you about jazzmaster trems and what they do to tuning...

Yeah, that.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Fender put up a bunch of Strat pickup demo videos on YouTube, probably as a response to Gibsons new pickup shop where you can now buy some of their specialty pickups without buying a $4000 guitar. Anyway, all I am taking away from these demos is the Tex-Mex Strat pickups are still the best bang for buck I have ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I'll just keep saying it...

Epiphone Wilshire

Epiphone Wilshire

Epiphone Wilshire

Epiphone Wilshire