Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I moved about a month ago and I still haven't unpacked my guitars or my mandolin :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Just put a 13-56 (Earthwood medium) set on my acoustic and I must've had on 12s or even 11s before because these strings are beefy. That low E feels like it's as thick as a pencil.

I've had 13s on my Tele for a while :twisted:

I love the feeling, but I might drop back down to 12s with the wound G.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Picking up a lefty guitar as a RH player just totally fucks my brain. Literally can't do a single thing.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Buying a piano is basically like buying a new car.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Playing and singing is a whole different animal and I don't know how anybody does it, especially when it involves more complicated stuff like finger picking and fills.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it'd be directed enough to do much as just the element, but if you swap two wires any speaker becomes a microphone so you could just put the whole cone in that space. I'll tell you right now, it'll sound very bassy and you'll barely hear anything through it. People use smaller speakers (6" or 8" maybe?) as microphones on kick drums, it's sold as a sub-kick. Geoff Emerick claimed he invented it to get a full sound out of Paul's bass while working on a Beatles record, I forget which one but maybe Abbey Road?

Paul's bass sound changed on Paperback Writer/Rain, so around Revolver.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Just wanted to say gently caress all this rain. I guess I should just keep my instruments in their cases since I haven't been playing much anyway :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Kind of a guitar-adjacent question, but I have an F4 Mandolin (oval sound hole) that's getting a lot of sympathetic string noise, if that's what it's called. No buzzing, but when I'm picking other strings, I'm constantly hearing the G (lowest) sting ringing. I know some guitarists tie something around the nut like hair scrunchies, which I assume is what that's for, but what actually causes this? Is it a setup issue? My mandolin also has a small, hairline crack along the sound hole, right underneath the neck. It doesn't go through the entirety of the top and my luthier didn't seem too concerned (but also he didn't fix the string-ringing either).