Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
What’s a good cheap PAF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

800peepee51doodoo posted:

RATs you say? Check this one out:

https://blackmasselectronics.com/products/1312-distortion

It comes in pink and hates pigs

I have the Missionary Fuzz by them and it slays

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

widefault posted:

What about an ash-bodied Les Paul with a maple neck?

This is cool and good

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

I’m so pumped

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

i kinda want to just get a les paul at this point just to stop being a baby about it

You should! Just get a used epiphone

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

god help me but i want a les paul.

i gotta get something heavier. my life sucks too much for it to be accurately reflected by this fat strat

Do it. Give into the GAS

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Huxley posted:

What's a good power supply for ≥5 pedals?

e: It's this, I guess, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Lab-P...e904010ad0&th=1

At that price you ate better off with a true tone CS6 or CS7. Isolated and you get 2-3 extra pedals for only $10 more

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

I said come in! posted:

Sup everyone, you all can go ahead and sell your pedals because I found the only thing anyone here needs https://thefartpedal.com/products/the-fart-pedal

This plus the Miku pedal is all you really need.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

same poo poo always -- rat into the hot rod on bright settings, with the JB guitar. only: we were practicing and had the amp turned up loud enough for once that it got pushed a bit by the rat. so we got the pedal dirt combining with the real amp's dirt. it sounded really loving good

You have to try to put a volume knob in the effects loop. Let’s you crank the preamp volume to drive the tubes but not be earth shatteringly loud.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

JamesKPolk posted:

dads will sometimes tell you things. technically they could be true? the timing sort of lands up. but there's just no loving way. but what are you gonna do about it, its your dad

mine insists he invented this on a support call to Ampeg soundchecking in a western MA basketball gynmasium in 69 or 70

I didn’t mean it in a loud is bad get off my lawn way. More like when you can’t crank your amp (bedroom practice) you can still achieve “the tone”

As others have said it’s not true attenuation of the amp but it works well enough

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
My favorite is running the Plumes after a Big Muff style fuzz.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Spanish Manlove posted:

Modern Baseball is dad music now

I can confirm. I’m a dad and I still listen to MB.

Lg, the riff and tone you posted are cool and good. Now go listen to some Stones.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you just need one they're like $10 but since this is the guitar thread and no one just ever has one pedal, it's worth thinking about getting a multi unit power supply

Single
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-PW-CT-9V-Power-Adapter-Sleeve-Positive/dp/B00191WVF6

Multi
https://www.amazon.com/MXR-M237-Brick-Power-Supply/dp/B00B5I9GYW/?th=1

I have to say I hate how most cheap 10 or 12 output power supplies have one to two dedicated 18v outputs.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
If I’m dropping mid four figures (3k+) on a guitar I’m buying a Novo.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

zelah posted:

These are the bands you should name!

I mean it could be any of them but which

LG is probably referring to JANK.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

i was.

loved that first album dearly-- insanely catchy with a ton of cool chords and stuff, with great jazzmaster tones

hard to listen to now, incredibly so

It is a shame because their second album rips too. Same thing happened with Brand New.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm thinking hard about buying an Iridium.

Pros:
When strymon's good its good imo, like the form factor and the i/o stuff
Having a pedalboard that hooks up to a PA is cool, and love I can just plug in a guitar and headphones and be good
Stereo Deluxe and Plexi sims get me 90% of the stuff I'd wanna do without a real amp (the rest is 5150 & Mesa Boogie tones but I don't actually hate my Sansamp for that)
I definitely would play more if I had an amp that lived in my tele case I could take with me when I'm not @ my studio

Cons:
Strymon tax, Still silly $$$ used
Their stuff is always kinda conservative, just feels a little bland
idc about the Vox sim but wouldn't mind a 5150 or mesa thing, and that makes me think I should look elsewhere
I already have a Katana Head which covers most of these bases (or maybe they complement each other??)

Is there anything else that would do it for me? I sorta looked at the Nux Amp Factory and the new Joyo preamp thing + their IR thing but it seemed like to cover as many bases (granted, with more sounds) it would be a similar amount of money and more pedals.

Or alternatively anyone love/hate theirs?

Walrus Audio ACS1 or Two Notes CABM+ work well too as slightly cheaper alternatives

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

JamesKPolk posted:

Thanks y'all, worth demoing all of these at least. I think what got me looking at the Iridium the first time was wondering if I could get a cheaper HX haha. Like that the Boss has bass amps too.

The CABM keeps coming up in searches etc - it just does the cab and power amp sim right? Like I'd need a preamp pedal w/ it still?

Nope! The CABM has a firmware upgrade that includes a preamp modeled after a Fender Bassman. If you don’t like that you can certainly run your own preamp into it for power amp and cab sim. It’s usually in the $200 range on reverb which is cheaper for less amp models. I own one and use it a lot and it works fairly well

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Has anyone used StringJoys? I see them pop up on Instagram and other guitar YouTubes and wondered if they were anything special.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

my band wasnt really feeling this so here's my impression of some more post-rock-y emo. sorry for the pitchy vox!

https://vocaroo.com/1l31djYlydV8

Very American Football esque. I really dig it

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

i don't wanna post the scrap because it's gonna be something my band uses and it's not finished yet.

this probably comes up a bunch or at least i feel like i've asked it before, but one of the things i really like is feedback sounds as a transitional thing-- over the last little bit of a verse headed into a heavier/louder chorus, that sort of thing. is there a pedal i can step on to get this effect and do it in the actual room or live?

Digitech FreqOut maybe?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Boss EQ pedal

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
What was the super secret pedal that makes my tone good?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

the gas pedal while my car is pointed at a brick wall

:golfclap:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The answer is RAT

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

duodenum posted:

What would Rivers Weezer do?

Eb standard

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Moby Dick is in drop D.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

zelah posted:

My wife’s got family in Asheville. So many bears!

Is anyone else put off by some of these band names? I don’t want to like a band called Michael Cera Palin.

Their cover of If It Makes You Happy rips!

LG not sure if you’re into more hardcore and post hardcore stuff but you should check out Record Setter. Might be up your alley

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

songwriters who've had or been in bands: how do you write out songs to give to people? how do you communicate things like chord rhythm/melody/lead parts/structure?

so far i've been trying to just make jazz lead sheets for it but it's been difficult because i always make some kind of mistake, and it's maybe not the most intuitive format for like, emo songs.

Usually someone in our band brings an idea to practice and we just jam on it until something comes out.

Other than that we usually just share riffs and what the chords are via Slack

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

maybe i'll give it another try at some point and just try to like, replace my tele's input jack with one that doesn't lose its hex screw constantly, but idk. at the same time i'm a really scatterbrained individual, and have eternally shaky hands since i was a kid, so, maybe i'm not the soldering type.

Pick up an Electrosocket jack and never look back.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

the guy from dogleg actually played a wilshire. love the sound-- think he used it through a mig-50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsmqwA8dJOg

his chords are nuts too. wish that band still existed

Yeah RIP Dogleg.

Lg have you checked out The Beths? They do some fun guitar stuff

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The only thing better than a RAT is two RATs. That’s why I built a dual RAT.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Dr. Faustus posted:

Lady Faustus is heading home for a sad event in her family and I can't go with. I could use the distraction.

I'm set to record. I was thinking about LG so I got out the guitar with the JB in it.

Right now it's set up so: Input > RAT > JC120 and just for variety, using two speaker IRs from different 2x12 cabs: a Vintage 30 in a Vox and a Jensen in a Fender, panned.

I'm happy to try different amps as well! JCM800 maybe for the Nuno thing?

Just please post some RAT settings for Distortion/Filter/Level and call out some riffs you wanna hear, I'll A/B sounds and we can see if I have a passable RAT or not! :)

So far I figure there needs to be a Nuno riff because he loves his RAT in front of a Marshall, and because it's been mentioned around here before I wanna play the intro to Heavy Metal.

Please give me RAT setting ideas, riffs, and if you want to suggest other amps to try I'll let you know if I have access to those models (and include any amp settings you want to hear as well.)

First impression is the RAT is very thin without the LEVEL cranked, which really fattens it up. The high end is super ice-picky with the FILTER knob low and dark and thick with it up high. My personal preference seems to be around 2-3 o'clock.

I like distortion about 9-10 o clock, filter 1 o clock and volume 1-2 depending on amp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Modal Auxiliary posted:

For traditional Gilbert-style hard rock/metal my favorites are "The Gargoyle" and "Fuzz Universe." "Viking Kong" by Racer X is a good one too.

For acoustic singer-songwriter stuff I like "Three Times Rana" or "Black Raincloud" from his acoustic album.

For goofy pop-rock I like "Attitude Boy Will Overcome" or "My Religion."

His cover of the Spice Girl's "2 Become 1" is super fun, as are most of his classical arrangements.

Dude has a tremendous amount of stylistic range but always seems to be having an absolute blast. He exudes joy and love of music in every song. I like him a lot even if I don't listen to him a ton.

Don’t forget the Curse of Castle Dragon.

If you don’t enjoy something by Paul Gilbert, you don’t enjoy fun. Dude just loves to play guitar.