Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gramps posted:

Propagandhi songs are fuckin' hard yo What the gently caress

Their slowest song is like still 160 bpm, sigh.

Wish you could buy the first two album tabs from Sheet Happens too. I assume that is due to label issues or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gramps posted:

Iteration is 190, and you have to hit THIS motherfucker on the fly
x
x

For the love of christ my fackin handssss
Also- try singing it hahahahahahahahaha ow my vocal cords. I don't know what Chris was thinking on this record but everything is so loving high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omgYNxZseA

Weird BIAS posted:

Chris does a patreon podcast thing, A Catastrophic Break with Consensus Reality. I think for this record he said the problem was 1. Chris was mixing it himself early on before being handed over for emergency mixing once he realized he was in over his head and deadlines were approaching 2. Chris was recording himself singing by himself with no outside opinion. So it ends up being that he did a lot of things that weren't really realistic for even him, it's why much of this record gets either drop tuned or skipped live too. He also has found other ways to do the songs with different melodies for the vocals live.

I was trying to play this exact song last night and failing haha! It’s my favourite albums of theirs for sure.

Yeah it’s a great podcast and Chris is an awesome dude and a wicked guitarist, despite how hard he is on himself.

He did an awesome hour long video about guitar on YouTube a few months back for his Patreon, well worth a watch.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

taps sign pointing to no e/n

My solution to a bit of fret buzz was to turn up the gain.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

landgrabber posted:

i thought GAS was mostly what this thread was though.

Nah that’s the new equipment thread which is dominated mostly by guitar stuff.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That’s a cool looking guitar, well done!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's a joke about a semi-secret setup for tele control plates where you flip them around and change the order of the pots so it goes volume, tone, switch.

My contemporary Tele came like this from the factory, it’s neat.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tad Naff posted:

Well I wasn't planning on sharing this here because of the ridiculous factor, but here's my latest, an acoustic that you can pretend is electric:

gently caress yeah! Can you link it?

This reminds me of the Les Paul style Ukulele at my local shop.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thumposaurus posted:

I have this thing I accidentally "won" a goodwill auction for.

I need to restring it with a normal g string like was talked about earlier here.

Oh poo poo the GAS Support wheels are all coming off! :getin:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

what the gently caress is up with his right thumbnail?

Yeah I noticed that on another video. I had also never really heard him talk until recently and it’s weird. His rig rundown video was semi incomprehensible.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Too Fast for Love is a favourite album of mine. It’s much more on the punk side of things than their later stuff.

I just watched the Ratt behind the music documentary last night and the whole Robbin Crosby part is so grim and depressing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My guitar teacher primarily teaches metal so I practise with gain like 80% of the time. Kinda awesome really.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok I'm gonna go on a weird tangent about more traditional western music theory and how we apply theory to rock guitar.

Technically yes, a D and an A played together is a D5. When you're playing guitar in a rock band and using distortion it's probably not going to come across as a D and an A making a chord together, it's going to sound like a thick rear end D note, the base frequency of the A is already an overtone you're hearing in the D*, so really you're playing up the complex relationship between the D overtones and the overtones from the A and smooshing them up and getting this kinda beastly tone. When you're playing a fast power chord riff the harmonic structure under that is probably much less complex, it might even really just be a single chord with the power chords over it being a kind of ostinato. You can use major barre chords for the same purpose, essentially just making it a real think and funky series of overtones.

From that perspective, and if you're playing it with goodly amounts of distortion, I'd probably say the D A E chord is really just a thickboi D note with some real rough edges, rather than a Dsus2 or a D9 with an implied third or whatever. That's all going to be dependent on the context of what everything else is doing though, so just saying D A E is (chord) is not always how it shakes out.

*edit okay really the base frequency of the a is an octave down from the overtone in the d, the first harmonic of the a is there though and like my point still stands

This is a good post! :tipshat:

I really wanna get a Helix and I’ve saved the money. However I don’t really wanna play full price. Any tips or tactics for getting a discount on gear from your local shop? They had it for like 20% off a couple of months ago so I know they discount it some times.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the advice. I can’t imagine they move many Helix’s, at least not the LT. I think the manager at my local shop works today so I’ll pop in and try ask him.

Haggling is not really part of our culture here given our English colonial roots. Worst they can do is say no though I guess!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hellblazer187 posted:

Sometimes I feel pretty basic because guitar is like, the most popular and common instrument. And I will never be "good" at it in the traditional sense. I'm getting better at simply enjoying it without worrying if I'm good enough at it. Perhaps paradoxically, this mindset seems to be improving my progress. I'm not saying I'm always in that better mind-state but like, it's just a hobby it doesn't matter. At least for me. Reminding myself of that helps.

I will check out that Art and Fear book, though. I added it to my Audible cart, which already held a Star Trek audiobook narrated by Shatner so we'll have to see which wins out for my attention first.

Yeah I definitely get this. I feel as you get older you just care less though which is good.

I do find myself not telling most people I’m playing guitar again because I don’t want to be put on the spot and asked “are you good?” Etc.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Clayton Bigsby posted:

OK, it's not the guitar. It's the orientation.

When I play my other guitars I sit with them so the neck's basically horizontal. But when playing the V I use classical position.

If I angle my PRS up 45 degrees I get a similar noise.

If I make the Dean neck horizontal it goes quiet.

Can't believe I didn't think about this before.

Not sure what the gently caress I can do about it though.

I believe you have to play guitar facing the sun.

But actually that’s super weird, keen to hear what the cause is.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

duodenum posted:

It's cocaine from the floor of Yngwie's stage in the 80's. You're supposed to lick it off and then shred.

:nyan:

I also love the feel of those picks until that comes off. I wouldn’t go messing around with talc too much though, it’s recently been linked to cancer.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

Actually yeah, I felt pretty bad about the pithyness towards LG there. I hosed up and want to apologize.

Sorry LG, the psuedoscience thing was about the weird "talc causes cancer" claim out of nowhere and my exasperation with stuff like that. It wasn't meant to be about the actual doctor diagnosed scoliosis. I'm sorry for not communicating properly and being a snippy rear end in a top hat.

I thought your response was about my mention of talc so I’m still salty

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

so no one found out for sure what the powder is on the gator grip? i'm okay with it being a carcinogen

It’s asbestos OP

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

landgrabber posted:

any musician/band who sues another for using a similar melody or chord progression in a song with much different lyrics and form is awful and killing the form. for reasons we’ve all discussed a million times.

they and everyone who thinks they’re a band of modern day beethovens can gently caress off.

This is too true.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I looked at those and a lot of reviews say they're really good for a mix but not that great for solo play, which is generally what I do. In fact, its all I do.

Seems like the way the actual band plays it would be the best choice here? Official tab books aren't usually written by the bands themselves, I don't think, and online tabs can be hit or miss. Its great that nowadays we have easy access to hidef video of bands playing their songs live so we can see what it is they're actually doing.

I might be way off base here but if you’re playing along to songs or backing tracks then they should work OK for that right?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

duodenum posted:

[Edited out url upon request]

Here's a small sample of some York Audio IRs. When you buy an IR pack, you get a very large selection of microphones and mic placements and a selection of mic mixes they thought were good. This zip has 7 IRs to try, mix #1 from their Matchless 2x12, Orange V30 4x12, Friedman 4x12, Mesa OS 4x12, and 3 different Marshall 4x12s. I think York does great stuff, and it's not terribly expensive. https://www.yorkaudio.co/shop

edit: these are 48k for Line 6 (and Fractal, and others). In the packs they also give you 44.1k and 96k to cover most or all of your IR loaders out there.

I just grabbed their $1 sample Mesa 2x12 last night and it sounded way better than the Helix Mesa cab. To be fair I have done little tweaking to the stock cabs but that’s kind of what I’m after.

Just wish York did a mix pack as those seem to sound better.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 31, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

GAS got me. I just bought a 63 SG Custom in Classic White (2021 issue) with the gold hardware and tailpiece & vibrola. I had been eyeing a red SG for awhile but then got interested in picking up a white Les Paul and decided to satisfy both cravings in one purchase since I already have a LP Classic.

Should arrive in a few days.

Seller photo:

:captainpop: So good!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of setups I’m planning on changing my strings this weekend for the first time in like 15 years. It’s just a Tele so pretty straightforward.

However, I’m going from 9-42 to 9-46. Will that mean I need to reintonate or gently caress with the truss rod?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Agreed posted:

For that small of a change I reckon you'll be fine.

muike posted:

The intonation will be off only slightly and you probably won't have to gently caress with the truss rod. Unless you're planning on recording a major studio album right after you probably won't have to make any changes.

Ah nice! Thanks.

I’m return I will offer a tip for Helix users: add a looper to the front of your chain. You can set it to loop something while you change everything else in the chain in real time. Awesome way to dial in amps and play around with pedals.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just because he’s an embarrassing Nazi now in his dotage doesn’t mean that Morrissey wasn’t, at one point, an amazing and vital songwriter—particularly for queer kids

Yeah this.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

NGD makes me happy.

Rules. From your first post I added “cream SG” to my dream guitar list.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

jury's out on lawyers though

:hmmyes:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mods please rename this thread: the Weezer thread and nothing else.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Disco Pope posted:

I might be off base, but I think in a lot of ways, LG would really dig The Beths.

They do crunchy power-pop, but all come from jazz school muso backgrounds, so they're rife with neat harmony and song structure stuff and have a cool girl singer who plays a G&L Fallout reissue (and a lead guitarist who plays a gold top Les Paul w/o being your dad's best friend). I'm thinking of asking my teacher to help me work on one of their songs next.

https://youtu.be/CkzI93Aqztk

Great song, great band. From my home town. Saw them live last year, was super fun.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Buschmaki posted:

Practicing guitar is really fun!

Hell yea buddy! :parrot:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doctor Dogballs posted:

can someone invite me to the goon guitar discord?

I did not know this was a thing…

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

darkwasthenight posted:

A few of the guitars I thought were going to be 'lifers' ended up getting sold anyway. I've realised I get as much fun out of the chase as I do owning them and if I can sell for what I paid after a year than happy days.

Regarding sentimental ones - I've got a Squier CV Jazz in Inca silver which I bought in the car park at a festival we were headlining and immediately walked onstage with. We'd had to give our rental gear back and I didn't own any working basses, so was just the first thing I liked on Gumtree; took that one on national TV next day and became my main touring bass, although I'm into Ps now.

My last resort ride-or-die is a Tokai SG Special that is one of my favourites but mostly won't get sold because I played it at Wembley. Zero to complain about luckily, but I really only took it on the tour because I wanted another white guitar to match my rental... It's a funny business.

What band are you in?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ColdPie posted:

I like the consistency. Good color.

Yeah I agree! Looks great.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

Finally redesigned the music wall to accommodate the new lineup.

:captainpop:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Epiphone is better anyways!

Tokai > Epiphone!

Although to be fair Tokai prices have gone way up in the last 10 years it seems.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

widefault posted:

Yep. Ash & Maple to make it really wrong.

I'm kind of tempted to see if one of the Chinese makers will make me a set neck version with a chambered body, black neck binding, and a natural headstock face as well.

How come no black knobs?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

luchadornado posted:

My LTD EC-256 is very nice, especially after a pro setup, and it cost $600 new. Set neck, made in Indonesia, coil split, very light. About the only thing I felt the need to change were the pickups and nut.

I’ve been eyeing up an EC-1000 as some sort of future LP copy. Are they worth the premium? I assume you looked at them when you got your 256.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kazinsal posted:

When that song came out my first thought was “chad no the dark horse/here and now era is one best left in the past you’re better than this”

Song stinks, sorry Nickelback. Can’t defend this one.

Is there a Nickelback song that one could defend?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

landgrabber posted:

i kind of resent that people are allowed to just uniformly said "nickelback bad" regardless of whatever level of criticism they usually operate on, instead of articulating what their big issues are.

I can’t decide if this hill is worse than the Weezer one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

Reverb is always the go-to.

I wish it was better where I am. I have a bunch of searches but most things come up the same price as a brand gear due to exchange rates and shipping factored.