Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm bad at guitar and I cry whenever I play and my tears make the strings all rusty and I need a louder amp to block out the sound of my uncontrollable sobbing help me guitar thread

that's a job for a peavey, for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

classic vid of SRV breaking a string, then changing guitars without missing a beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1pk8Lpelc

dude, i LOVE guitar swap vids like that

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
DiMarzio PAF of some variety/maybe Humbucker from Hell in the neck position

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

nitsuga posted:

So buy a rando PAF, unwrap the thing, then wrap it back up?

unless you got a pickup winder, don't bother. it's a lot more winds than you would think

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Don't let the gas get ya. Just change the pickups!! if it feels good just adjust it until it sits right.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just those specific ones have that issue? Either way doesn't sound unfixable in anyway, just definitely needs an experienced tech to take a look and probably give the frets a quick level. And definitely not a user problem.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Huh does sound pretty sus but I bet a tech will still get it sorted. As far as the single coil vs JB, I don't know what exact pickup your tele has, but lower end ones tend to have ceramic magnets for that more compressed sound and the JB is probably lower output and has an alnico 5 magnet which definitely wouldn't sound as compressed as a ceramic humbucker

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What is "frine?" i've never used that word before but it sounds very explanatory for what you're describing

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Like on the playing surface or on the sides where the fret ends are visible on the neck?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

oh no the toothpicks did a good job of cleaning some of it out... was just worreid it'd scratch the frets (though toothpicks are pretty soft).

there's just some of it i can't even get out with such a fine little point, though, which makes it feel like the frets should've maybe been glued in better idk!!
god if you were near my tech all of this would get fixed under normal rates

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I only ever put white glue on my nuts, personally

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

what the gently caress is up with his right thumbnail?

i think he uses them for acoustic/classical

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This one might be a stretch but one time I had that problem and it turned out I had accidentally put a kink in the string over the playing area while restringing. Might be worth checking since it requires zero time investment past loosening the string enough to see.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it sounds tight when you mix it with a clean electric sound. Not on its own

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Between the Buried and me and their smooth bossa nova offerings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvoLQBTbI0

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah that track is sick. The acoustic medley also kicks rear end and highlights how much of melodeath is like basically... bardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBWpQH_-yc

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Stalizard posted:

I finally got my thrift store guitar all complete and I think I love that it's an ibanez RG but I don't specifically love the whole dj platform conceit. Been playing around with the kaoss pad for a couple of days now and I can't find any of these alien noises the make sense with what I'm trying to do.

What kind of whammy bar RG do you think i could trade something like this for, and where's the best place to do that? Model number is RGKP6.

Oh man I thought these were so sick when they came out. If I had any money right now I'd buy it off you lol. As far as trades go, probably something in the standard line. They don't go for a ton of cash unfortunately. Probably a mistake in going for the mini Kaoss instead of the big boy.

Try putting it up on reverb for whatever you're willing to part with it for, or slightly more and accept offers.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
strandbergs do this cool trapezoid shape that changes the angle of the thumb face of the trapezoid as it travels up the neck

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also can't stress a headstock that isn't there

which reminds me, god I want a steinberger but my wife says they look stupid and would not support me buying one on that basis

Which model? This is key.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Faustus posted:

Those major thirds might be getting in the way of the melancholy a little. Glad you put the octaves in there because it gives me a sense of where you want to go with the melody and I like it. It certainly will get called out for being Weezer derivative but that shouldn't stop you from writing it, neither should anything else. It's a good start and my best advice would be to give it an honest go from there. Finish arranging it, add some vox, find a way to make a finished track (e.g. use drum loops from the internet and record a bass line on guitar then pitch it down 1 octave in your DAW.) Not nice to start a tune then let it wither and die. :(

Regarding Steinbergers:
Why can't we have trans-trems?!? Gibson bought the patent and buried it or something? I want a polymer guitar that looks like an oar with a horribly finicky transposing bridge and I mean it. But I don't want NOS parts or those outrageous prices. I thought by now they would be available everywhere but they've been locked away and abandoned and I don't like that one bit!

aside from just being complicated which y'know, is whatever, you had to use the special strings with it or else it wouldn't transpose right. i will get my hands on a gm1t one of these days

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
not sure who's into em here but i have two extra spirit box transcription books from sheet happens if anyone wants em

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've been messing around with my old 7 string I got back from my brother, and set it up in Drop A. I've been enjoying doing these meaty chords on the bottom 3 strings, from lowest note to highest for example D-A-E which are frets 5-5-7. What kind of chord would this be? On a standard tuned guitar, the way I play them, they are usually just inverted power chords. However with that string dropped down, it's basically stacked fifths. The way I tend to play them inside my riffs, it still sounds inverted like that middle note is still the root, so would it just be an A sus 4 chord?

it's an add9 chord which is the crux of like 10 million bands. I could genuinely point to about 30 songs off the top of my head that just slide that chord around for their riffs

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Lumpy posted:

I would love one.

dm me

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You really need to either like or learn to be ok with Billy Corgan's voice to listen to some of the best 90s/early 2000s music

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
When I bought the overpriced (imo) horizon devices overdrive i also bought some of the picks they have, which I think are like tortex jazz IIIs or something in a really pleasing baby blue and they're now my favorite picks. I also bought some strings from Horizon Devices which I do actually recommend because the gauges were really well selected

edit: Ultex!

And I don't think the precision overdrive is overpriced, necessarily, but I do think it was very very very much not the midrange voice I prefer

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
oh you must be the guy that keeps patrick in business lol

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh I think Patrick does great work, but there's definitely a reason he gets banned from every forum he posts on

I'd love to have one of his guitars but the things I want in a guitar would make him murder me lol

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K604WcCNgKM

i love rob jarzombek lmao

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd love to get my hands on a fully loaded Fly in solid condition. Those things are still so far ahead of their time

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Any of you guys refretted your guitar with larger frets and regretted it? I have an Aria les paul custom copy down to 70s specs and I love it but I know I want bigger frets, and I'm just worried it's gonna change the feel so much that I won't like it. Not that I like the low frets, but I don't want it to suddenly sound or feel awful

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not a het style explorer but I really really recommend the Jericho Nomad. Mine is unbelievably good and has a longer scale which is not for everyone but I think just rules hard.

https://jerichoguitars.com/product/nomad-supernova/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's so 70s! and 25.75 scale!!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

800peepee51doodoo posted:

That looks p nice. Also its the dude from Car Bomb's signature model which is certainly something

I've been half seriously considering ordering a custom build from Dunable. I've never played a Dunable guitar but they look extremely sick. Im sure that looking extremely sick is really all that matters in a guitar right?

i'm constantly like one financial windfall away from asking dunable to make me a guitar lol. If you're looking for something specific and their vibe is what you're into... it's probably worth it.

When I saw Cave In I kept looking to see if Brodsky used his from Mutoid Man and 2MTLN

Elissimpark posted:

I dunno, let's ask Jeff Matz of High On Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1XHuLCtBQ

(The answer is yes. I don't particularly like High On Fire, but this is what I imagine I'd look like if I had a sick Dunable bass. Less beard and hair, though. Probably more gut.)

Dunable makes their basses 35" by default which makes them cool af

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's hard to beat the One Spot for budget power supplies.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it kicks so much rear end when the only adjustment you have to make to your guitar is a trussrod adjustment and you correctly guess the correct amount on first try

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Love it. up until my place burned down i was SOLELY an S player (first really tight guitar was an S540fm, then eventually grabbed a more modern prestige hardtail.... s5521, I think)

Only one thing to tear into, my old friend: lol u said major 4th

edit: also I find the S series to be kind of plinky which is awesome under heavy gain and low tunings, but I always felt like I needed to EQ in more bass for clean or low gain sounds. Enjoy!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm just playin!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

widefault posted:

Firefly FFJA, just arrived. I have to go back to work so it won't get a shakedown until later tonight. Fit and finish seem good, frets seem good. Neck is a gloss finish, though, and I expect it to get sticky. It is a bit heavy, but might be lighter than my Squier VM JM.

is that a knockoff wilky or the real deal??

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

I love those saddles! Totatally not as good as a trem as I expected when I had one though. Feels so good under the palm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The intonation will be off only slightly and you probably won't have to gently caress with the truss rod. Unless you're planning on recording a major studio album right after you probably won't have to make any changes.