Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Howdy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget there's a JEM7WVH in the Strat pile! I won't allow it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
new thread new rule no e/n that means you lg

E: stairway is permitted

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I kid because I LOVE. :colbert:

I made a patch this afternoon with a Friedman HBE and an ENGL Savage, panned hard L/R in stereo. Those two kids play exceptionally well together and I played for over an hour. Hadn't played my JB in awhile and boy does it make me happy.

Also, Gramps is 100% right on about how to start making a toan. I'm in the modeler world for almost a year now and I do think IR choice is top priority.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is related to modeler chat.

My decision to adopt modeling tech started with my experience with the Line6 Helix HX Stomp. I didn't like the amp sounds, and in hindsight I think it was because I didn't understand just how important speaker cabinet IRs are. I landed on Fractal because they had a $1K modeler called the FM3 that I decided to try after sending a Stomp back. It gave me goosebumps on the first play and I sold it and went all-in on the Axe-FXIII MkII (only to return it for the Turbo version a couple weeks later.)

Since then John Cordy has proven the Helix gear can sound great if you know how to use it. He's a very musical guy who put in the thousands of hours of work to achieve really astounding skill especially in lead lines. His control and smoothness wreck me.
And he sounds amazing no matter what he plays through. On his channel he plays every modeler out there and real amps with IRs, and real amps with mic'ed cabs. He's got the technical aspects down.

So when he revisited the Quad Cortex I had to go see what was new. I thought it was good enough to share, hope I was right. The topic is the looper but in demo'ing that he ends up showing lots of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jppyodJxXKw

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

(brown sound modded Plexi)
This is one of the most desired sounds in the modeler community to be sure, for obvious reasons. This is my hard-tail Strat-style with a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge. I mostly followed others' guides for amp selection and settings.
There's a bit of the intro to Mean Street where Eddie just snaps out an open G5 and it slays on the record. I mean, the intro to Mean Street is one of the most astounding bits of guitaring Eddie ever put to tape but who can actually play all of it? Sure as hell not this guy.
But I am amazed a modeler can do this at all. I'd love to hear the one you reference, because if there's one thing I believe it's John Cordy's assertion you can get great tones from all the modeler options out there. I just went for the expensive one because a) I wanted to be able to run two amp blocks at once, and b) I was turning 50 so I justified it as my mid-life crisis sports car expense, along with a new Tele and stuff.
Here's something I threw down just to enjoy it. I can't see myself trying to attempt the whole song without the full intro so maybe someday?
https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/mean-street-test

Now, same preset but an Ibanez RG1070 with a ToneZone in the bridge, which is a much hotter pickup with a very different treble character than the PG.
https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/little-dreamer-cover

My bassist asked me to record him a clip of this Freidman HBE/ENGL Savage rig I am working on, and I'm gonna try the Evolutions in the JEM7VWH with that. I'd like to make a clip of the 5150 BL and Soldano SLO100 I've been playing with, too. I told him I would do it today but :effort:.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 10, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Let's talk about modeling amplifiers, then! There's something about modeling amps vs tube amps that I want to understand. It comes up in this video, at 595s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH-4eT9qrDY&t=595s

The video says firefly's stock pickups sound worse thru a tube amp, but you might not notice on a modeling amp. Can someone help me understand why this might be? Is it as simple as: the magnetic field is too strong? In other words, the pickups are too "hot"?
He's basically saying a tube amp will be way more sensitive than "a modeler" but I just can't agree with that. I've only spent time with two modelers and only liked one of them, and that one has all the chime and sparkle of a tube amp. If it didn't, I would not have stopped playing my Blackstar and my Peaveys and my Blues Jr. He goes on to talk about sustain and stuff but he's making general claims I just can't support. I bought exactly that FFLP myself and can confirm the stock pickups that came in it were awful. Very dark, a bit loud, and really muddy.

Regarding replacement humbuckers (get ready for a bunch of general claims that I do support but YMMV):
General rule of passive humbuckers is more gain = more resistance = more treble signal lost. (Hotter = darker, mostly) So if you're looking for replacement buckers (and you don't mind adding a gain pedal, or have extra gain on tap that you can turn up on the amp when you need a saturated distortion) you'll find vintage/low gain pickups have more air/presence to them. Lots more. That leads to really pleasant and expressive pick attack that will respond far more to your picking dynamics. Another thing I find is you can push low-gain pickups as far as you want and they will give you a cool sponginess that retains clarity due to the high-frequencies present. I have several DiMarzios and my favorites are the FRED and the ToneZone. The FRED is mid-gain and the TZ is much hotter but designed to introduce its own kind of treble boost, which can be off-putting. But the pickups that really disappointed me the most were the PAF Pros that came in my first JEM. They sound really good at first, but they are super generic-sounding and just don't have that expressiveness. I think they lack harmonics, but that's getting past my technical knowledge. All the Duncans I have sound amazing in the high end, and I think the hottest one I have is my JB. Sorry, this topic is SUPER subjective and very hard to describe in a way that people can follow with any consistency.

Thanks for listening to my little Van Halen thingy.

muike posted:

DiMarzio PAF of some variety/maybe Humbucker from Hell in the neck position
I paired the FRED in my JEM with a HfH and the thing to remember about the HfH is it's meant to sound like a single coil. And that it does. I love it. But it won't step up to the level of a great vintage output HB like, say, the '59. The '59 is just a phenomenal neck pickup and it's the only pickup I have three of. I have two JBs, one in my RG770 and one in my FF338. Those are the only repeats in my humbucker collection.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 11, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

I played a 335 the other day and I can't believe how much I liked it. How close can it get to things like Knopflers LP on Brothers on Arms?
The big neck-through hollowbody is going to resonate and you will hear that in the amped guitar's output. It could obscure your attack and affect your sustain a little, but luckily Knopfler's tone is already really really compressed and dark, so I can't say just how much you will notice it. The short answer to your question is "reasonably close." The more similar the pickups are the closer you will get.
Brothers In Arms is actually the only Dire Straits album I have, I got it and The Nylon Curtain on vinyl with my first bedroom stereo, and I played the hell out of those records.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
In my experience coil split is of limited usefulness because 1 coil of most humbuckers by themselves are way too thin-sounding. Just too weak.

I have found that, especially with the mid-gain vintage output pickups I seem to prefer, switching between series wiring (full gain humbucking) and parallel (1/4 gain humbucking) is a better solution for getting close to a single-coil sound. It's a mod pretty much all of my bridge humbuckers have,and more recently I started modding my neck humbuckers to have this as well.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is really pretty. Andy Timmons on TPS playing through a couple Mesa Lone Stars and demoing his pedals. I've set the video to start when Andy begins playing a piece, and it's fun because the TPS guys get emotional. The video is really sweet because there is clearly a sincere musical connection and friendship going on here. What you won't be able to tell from the video right away is they're running the amps into that 2x12 cab loaded with EVs, and it's cranked pretty loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdG-WjTtgk&t=795s
John Cordy saw this clip and decided to learn the little piece and to make a video to teach how to play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ChtqEiGCw

It's not difficult at all, and it's not particularly bad rear end. It's just very sweet and simple and I thought it deserved to be shared.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

Andy Timmons is so outstanding I can't fathom just how good he actually is. If that makes any sense at all.
Lumpy I am guessing you know how Dunning-Kruger works. If you're very ignorant of a subject you might overestimate how well you get it, leading you to wildly miscalculate hard easy or hard any particular thing might be. Once you get enough of an understanding of a thing, though, you will over-react in the opposite direction which leads to the response like yours, which as I see it is an under-estimation of your understanding. Then "I can't fathom this" actually follows logically from your understanding, which is probably far better than you give yourself credit for. That's a good quality in people.

I play one on the internet but I am not actually a doctor.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know how you feel, lg. My RG471AH seemed like the best cheap guitar I ever bought, until one day I realized I could hear the truss rod rattle in its channel and put the guitar down in anger. Since then I've recorded with it and love it despite the flaw. My JEM70SFG came to me with ALL of the frets standing a tiny bit off the fretboard treble-side. When the high E got stuck under the 24th fret it took me days to realize it was all of the frets and not just the 24th. This was not a cheap guitar, either. It was an Indo JEM that cost me $1500. By the time I figured this out I'd had the guitar just over a year and I was very lucky Ibanez was willing to fix it under warranty. Just trying to say there is always something. Hopefully it is not a show-stopper like a sitar-buzz in one spot on the neck!

But it's guitar and you just have to roll with it. You will drive yourself nuts if let yourself dwell on it. Raise the bridge just a tiny bit at a time on the treble side until the G-string stops buzzing. If that's too high, start lowering it again until the buzz becomes unbearable. At that point reassess if you can handle the imperfection or not. If the answer is certainly not, then you will know you need to spend some money on a new neck or, far preferable, a fret-level or partial fret-level. That is the very best advice I can give, apart from looking on the bright side. The bright side is look at where you are now, lg. I remember when you were asking about song-writing and you lacked the theory to ask the questions correctly or get the answers. You've come incredibly far since then.

Be proud of yourself and know that hating the instrument, and your own playing, is natural. :)

Page one of this thread I took some of the meanest loving knocks I've ever seen here and it was because I was teasing you. You are loved, kid. Don't doubt it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 14, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

That Ibanez is gorgeous.

Also I liked your Eddie stuff the other day.
Thank you. :3:

NGL I have been looking at this thing all day. I think I want one. I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to part with my SFG JEM to get one. It's one of the guitars I pick up least frequently, but it's my metal machine (if I ever play any) because I put a Crunch Lab in it. Last time I thought about putting it on reverb I went to put some notes on it and I couldn't put it down, decided I could never let it go. Not to mention it is the guitar made infamous by the Ugly Guitars/Stupid Music poo poo thread so I kinda need to own it. If I was working I wouldn't be thinking about letting it go, but people are paying good money for used gear.

And I don't have any roasted maple necks! This would be my first.

I'll just wait. It's definitely on my list. Except I still need a Les Paul with P90s. Dammit.

Tonight I am playing with the Andy Timmons "Halo" modulated & diffused delay. I don't have the pedal, I looked up the settings. 375ms/500ms stereo with modulation for chorusy repeats and diffusion to make it 'verby. The AxeFX has all of those parameters right there so it's super easy to get there in the Plex 'Verb block set to stereo tape delay. Makes me wish I knew some of those neat jazzy chords Eric Johnson likes to play with his ambient delays.

The Fear posted:

hearing Andy play electric gypsy is one of the things which inspired me to start playing again
Gonna check this out now. Thanks!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I'm learning to love the strat neck pickup. It makes me want to bust out the ancient bullet strat to see if I like it there too.
I really wanna say something sweeping and generalized but I know I shouldn't. So specifically, my late 80s Kramer Striker 300ST, an absolutely irredeemable piece of garbage (perfect for paying your dues on), came with truly awful Schaller single coils in the mid/neck positions. They squealed microphonically at any volume above a whisper. But they sounded gorgeous isolated. As long as the neck single has enough treble, I'm gonna dig it. There is something magical about the pick attack, that quack. It transcends tones and genres. It owns over a 12-bar blues with clean sustain just as well as cranked through a Marshall stack and given the Yngwie treatment. A lot of guitarists just... live there. And I get that.
The trick to making a bad-to-mid neck pickup sound good is in your picking hand. Pick it hard, like you're loving pissed at it. Snap the string up with your fingertip or thumb. Behave as though you want to break the string.

Reminds me: Check your pickup heights! Not up to writing a thesis on that atm but sometimes that set of pickups just needs to back off or come up a bit to really suck you in.

landgrabber posted:

when i went to see faust, he did an inspection and was like "oh these frets aren't really leveled" and did a bit of work.
It's a good thing you remember this, Rose. I have CRS syndrome and I never would have. But yeah, seems relevant in hindsight. ;)

Thirding Naptha and seconding spit (on your own guitars!)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

One thing though; I find dialing *either*volume down past a certain point mutes both pickups, is that normal?
It is. I thought my poo poo was broken and had to look it up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

This is like the worst possible combo.. why?
I think it is a testament to just how loving hard guitar is that it maybe doesn't really matter how you approach it physically, you still have a chance of getting gud if you put 10,000 hours on it. Lefties soldier through some hosed up issues but hell, look at Jeff Healey! You can listen to all those lefties and JH too, and damned if the blues box phrasing doesn't just sound the same.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/uk-retailers-told-200-stolen-prs-guitars/

quote:

UK retailers told to be on the lookout for more than 200 stolen PRS guitars

Musical instrument retailers in the UK have been told to be on the lookout for 222 stolen PRS guitars, which were taken from a vehicle on its way to retailers in Germany.
The stolen guitars’ value totals over £300,000. They include a range of PRS models, which were being shipped from the brand’s Europe headquarters located in Cambridge, UK, to Germany.

According to MI Trade news, some of the stolen guitars have apparently been offered to retailers in the UK, and one has also appeared for sale on Facebook Marketplace.

PRS’ Gavin Mortimer told MI Trade News that the alleged thief had knowledge of the different models, and focused on the most valuable – including a number of the high-end Private Stock guitars. A UK retailer has also reportedly told PRS that a “suspicious character” has tried to sell them two PRS guitars, which they declined.

Mortimer added: “Naturally, the police are involved and we would really appreciate a call to Essex Police from anyone offered a late 2021 or 2022 PRS that appears on [the list of stolen instruments].”

That full list of guitars that were stolen can be found here. Those with any information regarding the crime have been encouraged to contact Essex Police at resolution.centre@essex.police.uk, citing the reference “42/181904/22”.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

how do you put a RAT on a pedalboard? it has these screws on the bottom that are pretty long, and they kinda keep the velcro on the pedal from making contact
Congratulations. You now get to find a permanent home for the rubber feet you have to take off your pedals! Just remove them and put 'em in a baggy.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just keep the screws with the feet. They shouldn't be holding the chassis together.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How banjos work.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's a joke about a semi-secret setup for tele control plates where you flip them around and change the order of the pots so it goes volume, tone, switch.

Wire length is definitely important and also you have to flip the switch direction too, or down will be neck and up will be bridge.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You have made me GAS for a green guitar. Guy I met in '89 introduced me to a very similar PRS around '91 but the green was closer to evergreen. Saw your new fiddle and remembered how much I liked that guitar (which was easy to forget because the guy sold it to make a generic Music Man EVH copy, which was nice but not close to the PRS.) Green and silver go really nicely together and when you add in some maple I get british racing car+camel vibes.

What are the pickups and how do you like them, if I may ask?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

https://voca.ro/1hL05HeH6kbl

I made this using the Helix floors synth generators, pitch echo, tape modulation and looper
This is really cool. That loop is stuck in my head now. I love that little rake motif in the loop, SRV played that a bunch and Vai plays it in his intro to "I'm Easy."

On the topic of modelers:
I am about to try something that will take a little explaining: Doing research into the best way to simulate an acoustic tone on an electric guitar. I'm aware of more than one technique to get there with varying degrees of success, mostly EQ-based. Along the way I ran across an Impulse Response a guy was selling for $10. Now, normally I'd be fine giving some rando $10 for something like that. Like how I paid whatever I paid for Moke's talk-box preset. In this case I decided to look around a bit more before spending anything, and that meant going to the Fractal forums and searching around for a free one. Instead, I ran across a post on how to just make my own, and there is a pretty good incentive to do it.
I got out my Breedlove and a condenser mic. I'm gonna mic it up and record it to my PC, playing big barre chords to a beat to make a "tone match" source, and exporting the result as an IR I can run through in my modeler. What I hadn't anticipated about this process is this kind of tone match via IR technique is specific to both the source instrument and the target instrument. So if I get someone else's acoustic guitar tone match, my results will be based on whatever pickup they used on their electric guitar as the IR dictates the difference between the two sounds, and variations between their pickup and mine could throw off the match. Yeah, I am explaining this poorly, sorry. If anyone can help please do.
If I understand this correctly, I can mic up my guitar and record this sample and put it on my PC as my reference. Then, when I run the tone match in my modeler, I'll be matching it to the actual guitar and pickup I intend to use for the performance. That will give the best result. And if I decide to play a different guitar, I need to re-run the process running the tone match against the new guitar and pickup I intend to use. So I could conceivably make this one reference sound (e.g. Breedlove with new strings on it) and then make a collection of IRs, say "My Strat bridge pickup," "My Ibanez neck pickup," and "My Tele neck pickup," and then put those in my patches. Personalized results.
So it's free to try since I have the gear here. Anyway this is the first time I've read about the process and I suspect this is how people print their own effects and cabs as well. It's way out there to me, but I have the mics and preamps to do it well (I think.)

I'm still mulling it over in my head right now but I have a reason to get this done, which I want to share soon, hopefully.

Anyone have any experience doing this stuff with IRs?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 25, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

The era between the invention of the piezo bridge and the Fishman Aura/IR modelling was a grim time for live acoustic guitars.
Absolutely. I found the perfect example, too. This song was a huge hit, and it's from the 2nd Van Halen record with Sammy Hagar, so how does this sound even end up on the record? Listen to the acoustic guitar in the right channel. The strings have no shimmer, no sparkle, you can't hear the woodiness of the guitar. Sounds like a block of plastic strung with rubber bands. It sounds like every overpriced Ovation I ever had the displeasure of hearing from a stage.
Just mic up your acoustic for the album, please! This shortcut is so not worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqyZMjFqFf0

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If you are measuring relief at the 6th fret, that is good. I've found on a perfectly level neck you can actually go even straighter but the sign you've gone too straight is buzzing somewhere the 1st fret to the 9th or 12th. So I wouldn't expect to be able to go much straighter than a hair's width/sheet of paper if there's buzzing at 3.

Bear in mind there are are a shitload of buts and ifs I am leaving out, here, as necks are affected by so many points that can move with time and temp.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

brushwad posted:

Superchunk, Let's Active, The Connells, The Db's, Archers of Loaf, The Avett Brothers, Corrosion of Conformity, Sylvan Esso, Jodeci, Southern Culture on the Skids, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Watchhouse/Mandolin Orange, Steep Canyon Rangers, Ben Folds, Petey Pablo, Maceo Parker, George Clinton, Nina Simone, me and John Motherfucking Coltrane all respectfully disagree.
Cry of Love and Dag as well.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

it's in Ab, like the buddy holly choruses, and does stuff with the same sorts of chords (if i ever want to write a "big chorus", i essentially try to simply alter or come up with a good variation on/mutation of I-IV-V).

it didn't come out sad enough for me to want to use. or goofy enough to allude to sadness.
Those major thirds might be getting in the way of the melancholy a little. Glad you put the octaves in there because it gives me a sense of where you want to go with the melody and I like it. It certainly will get called out for being Weezer derivative but that shouldn't stop you from writing it, neither should anything else. It's a good start and my best advice would be to give it an honest go from there. Finish arranging it, add some vox, find a way to make a finished track (e.g. use drum loops from the internet and record a bass line on guitar then pitch it down 1 octave in your DAW.) Not nice to start a tune then let it wither and die. :(

Regarding Steinbergers:
Why can't we have trans-trems?!? Gibson bought the patent and buried it or something? I want a polymer guitar that looks like an oar with a horribly finicky transposing bridge and I mean it. But I don't want NOS parts or those outrageous prices. I thought by now they would be available everywhere but they've been locked away and abandoned and I don't like that one bit!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress pat

E: honestly pat what gives

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

I finally finished my first build-your-own pedal, a Klon clone - and it doesn't work. This is totally deflating after days of delays, hours of work, and a few finger burns. Tomorrow I'll hit the builder forums and see if anyone can help my understand why the voltages on my ICs are so different.
If there is one thing I am sure of, it's there is no shortcut past the "I thought I did everything right, why doesn't this loving work" part of learning to do technical stuff. Ya gotta roll with it and remember in the end every mistake teaches.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

it's going to sound like a thick rear end D note, the base frequency of the A is already an overtone you're hearing in the D*, so really you're playing up the complex relationship between the D overtones and the overtones from the A and smooshing them up and getting this kinda beastly tone.
I think you just explained why I had trouble deciding if Dopethrone was just unison notes or 5 chords. I still don't know but to be fair I haven't tuned a guitar down to try it.

Thank you for reminding me of Dopethrone! This is going to improve my night considerably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rWsvW14u9o

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

This is a good post! :tipshat:

I really wanna get a Helix and I’ve saved the money. However I don’t really wanna play full price. Any tips or tactics for getting a discount on gear from your local shop? They had it for like 20% off a couple of months ago so I know they discount it some times.
That's how I got my first JEM. If it's been sitting on the floor a long time just go in and make an offer. At some point they've written the thing off already and just want it gone.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ok I just had a great warm-up and practice. I'm feeling good so I'd like to share. It's totally e/n but it's about the instrument, performance, and their relationship to me, so skip it if you might wanna be a dick about it.

The band I worked my rear end off for, with our one gig in May, kinda kicked my rear end. On the one hand, I give myself credit for doing the best I could preparing all of that material over just six weeks. I did learn everything, I wrote gig-appropriate patches in my modeler. I've had a chance to go back through them recently and drat they are good. At the gig I made it through most of the show but my left hand did actually lock up with two songs left in the night. My keyboardist bailed me out on the intro to Journey's "Lights" which sucked because I worked out that intro really well and couldn't wait to play it, and I limped through You Really Got Me to finish the night. But my left hand was just dead, it turned into a claw that I could only stare at accusingly. loving traitor. After so many years of neglect I couldn't get through a three hour show, even though I tried to be smart about practicing to the right amount and not quite overdoing it. I didn't want to hurt anything important.
All that was really hurt was my pride. The band leader never gave me any credit (but the rest of the band was much cooler and I was able to feel good about that). But I also got depressed and avoided my guitars for the rest of May and June. I got them all cleaned and strung up and set up, but then just couldn't lift one to actually play it.

Early in July I got a message on Bandmix. It was a bassist here in town who had a drummer and they had an idea for a project. They found me there and followed to my Soundcloud and they thought I was their guy. They wanted to know if I was interested. So when they told me it was a Sammy Hagar project, I saw why. It would be covering any material we liked from Montrose, his solo albums, Van Hagar, Chickenfoot (with Michael Anthony and Joe Satriani), and The Circle (which is a Led Zepp tribute with Vic Johnson on guitar). There are a lot of hits in there, a ton actually, if we can find the right singer (not my problem).
I was inclined to do it just to get out of the house. To get back into a live situation and play way too loud. That seemed like a good idea, and all I had to do was play the kind of stuff I've been playing since I started playing Van Halen in 1987.

ITT we had discussed 5150 amps because Agreed got one, and I already had been playing with similar sounds in my modeler, including Soldanos, Plexis, Freidmans, ENGLs, Diesels, the 5150 MKIII, and the o so delicious Cameron Atomica. So I started over and made three stereo rigs for tryout (which I will distill down to mono for gigs.) One is Atomicas, one is 5150 MKIIIs, and one is 5150 BLs. They are identical except for the amps, with the typical EVH sounds: phaser, flanger, chorus, and Wet/Dry/Wet stereo detune "chorus." Stereo delays, simple room and plate reverbs, and a digitech whammy effect because I remember Satch loved those for awhile.
I also made that acoustic IR based on my Breedlove and matched to the Crunch Lab in my JEM70VSFG which is now set up in standard for this project. I use that for the intro to Dreams. It sounds loving amazing. And it doesn't matter which 5150 or Atomicas I play, they sound sick. Attitude. Just my Pearly Gates in my hard-tail strat and those amps dry, man Rock Candy sounds fat as hell. I might just start using the Firefly LP for that old Montrose stuff.

But I have been nagged constantly by how things ended in May. Way too much up in my head. I set boundaries right away with the new rhythm section. Told them I don't care what is on the setlist. I won't play dress up to look like Eddie or anything stupid like that. I don't want to talk from the stage or do anything but nail some Van Halen and some Chickenfoot and go home. I don't want to work out the setlist, or debate where to play, any of that poo poo. At first they thought I was too nonchalant about it all until I told them it ain't that I don't have opinions. You guys know me better than that! Instead, I simply have no interest in imposing my opinions on this project. Hire a rhythm guitarist if you want, just keep them out of my lane. I won't bow up about anything, but I also told them in all honesty I just may not cut it. I told them about the May gig and how I'd kinda fallen low after. I told them I would be happy just to hang out if I didn't have the hands for it anymore, as I wasn't sure. I think they appreciated my honesty.

So this Wednesday I was invited to the rehearsal space, which they hadn't been to since the pandemic started. Last weekend I had been practicing the tunes I was told to learn and I had gotten back to wanting to stand up and move around. To really get into the spirit. And it was getting fun. Playing Rock Candy, Heavy Metal, There's Only One Way To Rock, Dreams, Finish What Ya Started, Won't Get Fooled Again, Rock 'n Roll. I learned this ridiculous blues called Big Foot from Chickenfoot III. Jesus Christ is it fun. Since I hadn't tried out yet (that is Sunday) I sat down with the backing tracks I had gathered and I recorded all of Big Foot, half of Rock Candy, and Dreams through the solo. I put them on my phone and took them with me. And btw I played my left hand very nearly to overload again. It was a hard workout because I let myself get fixated on the solo to Dreams and did way too many takes. And I try to throttle the guitar to death on Rock Candy, it feels like I need to sell it and I end up just wailing on the thing.

At the rehearsal space I got my phone hooked up to the PA (which is niiiiice) and cranked the tracks I had put down earlier that morning, and the guys and their buddy who owns the building started looking at me funny. In a good way. We hung out from 10am to noon and I came home and did not touch a guitar again until tonight. I needed at least a day to recover from the recording session because now I am playing 10's at standard pitch and that's more of a lift than I am used to. But it has paid off. I played all the tryout songs through twice tonight and I still have fingers left. Those whole-step bends at standard feel like they used to at Eb, which is to say my callouses are fully recovered and my finger strength and endurance are back online. Accuracy still suffering, but I can even get some stretches of very fast alternate picking going which is new. I went back to the band leader's place and got back my other Headrush 108 cabinet which I had left there all this time, and I am ready to try out on Sunday. All honesty I think bringing my tracks in on Wednesday got me the gig already, but I can take it or leave it. It's neat to see my Bandmix and Bandfinder profiles are still getting visitors every week.

I'm feeling a confidence I didn't feel back in April. I bought some 9's for standard tuning but now I don't think I will need them (but if I do, they are D'Addario XT 09-046 and I have four packs to start. Finish What Ya Started, I play on a preset that's a Fender Super and a Deluxe Reverb, 2x12 and 4x10 cabs, and hell yes put a Leslie rotary on it and vary the speed with an expression pedal in some places, it's magic! I found the tab for the solo, thank God. It's not so hard as it sounds.

So looking back at all my posts here, that's where all that stuff came from. The acoustic talk, for example. That worked out really great!

We will need a keyboardist, and they are hoping for a rhythm guitarist. I'm easy. I just hope I can deliver. Better than May, anyway. So I am looking at new guitars because I found this Ibanez S-Series that I really really like, but I may gently caress up and "accidentally" buy one of the used Guthrie Govan Charvels on Reverb.

If you hung through all of this, bless your heart. :)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Long story short, if you don't use those muscles you will lose them. I'd rather work back through an adjustment period than give up so early. I bought 9s. But tonight I played 14 songs and still had lots left in me. Another five-six no problem. And the longest show we will do I expect to be maybe 14 songs. Maybe even less. 45 minutes to an hour, plus three "encore" tunes.

I'm not ready to admit defeat, that's all. I'm prepared if I must!

Thanks, guys. :3:

E: Also imagine if I work out on 10s in standard and talk them into staying in Eb all night, they'll feel like 9s! And no way I am dedicating more than two of my floating trems to standard tuning. Not. Gonna.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Right on, man. It really is.

Congratulations on the band! My most recent VOX memory is this summer on Facebook I watched a guy in a Fractal group playing some intensely amazing old-school searing surf-y kinda stuff on a Danelectro. It was one of those really raw sounds that I felt like I should have known what it was but was embarrassed I had to ask. And when he told me it was an AC15 model I smacked my head. Duh. Not punk, of course, but the few times I got to spend on an AC30 were just glorious.
Writing music is something I hate doing by myself but I can definitely get into when I have other ears in the room to help me pick out the riffs, hooks, and grooves. It's great to have a drummer just react to your riff and lock into it with you. I miss that. Best of luck to you, too. I look forward to hearing what you guys put together as you are able to share.

Rock on!

I'm hoping to be able to bring home audio and video before too long, and if it's not too bad I'll want to share it. Thanks.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Leck posted:

It seems funny to me to just pull this out from your post, but I’m wondering how you like the Headrush. I’ve been thinking about getting a FRFR to get away from using my monitors, and this one seems to come up a lot as a recommendation.
I totally get it, as I was all questions about FRFRs and worried I'd spent my money incorrectly until I actually took them to a jam with a real drumkit and huge refrigerator bass rig to hang with.

The Headrush and the Alto are, I guess, the same product or close to it. And before I tried the HR108s I had heard they are very boomy. I'm sure you already have an idea in your head of what that means, right? So did I, but, you know, what does that actually mean for using them?
My experience went like this: I tried them out in my apartment at very low volume and wow, yeah they are like all bass down low. I mean, you will want to EQ all that bass right the gently caress out to play them quietly. That was when I doubted them, of course. I took them both to a jam and was stunned by how loud and clear they are. They are powered PA cabs essentially and they are not loving around. I did not need two of them, that was just plain overkill. The output on my rig was off and the one cabinet was maybe turned up to 5? And when I started rolling in the volume from my rig I blew right past apartment volume and suddenly the springs on the snare were rattling in sympathy. Like, I would expect that, maybe, if I'd already set the cab to 10. But I wasn't close to that on the cab yet, and I was still at about 5 on the output volume from my rig. And we are talking full, fat, bright and clear sound. Not like a 4x12 cabinet, but more like a 4x12 that's been miced up, run into a board and processed for a studio recording. As raw as you like, but still polished. And the disparity caused by those prevalent lows went away at jam volume. Nothing to complain about. Chug chug chug squeeeeaall! That was when I knew I was happy and didn't have to worry about getting rid of them. And they are only 19 lbs. each. So at very low volume be ready to dedicate an EQ to killing those lows, but you won't need it at any volume you might need to keep up with a drummer.
I am not exaggerating when I say this pair could without question push a small (indoor) venue. With volume to spare. I kept the other cabinet around to let my keyboardist use as a powered monitor, and from across the room it sounded amazing as well.

And they have two inputs on the back with independent volumes, so you can run a vocal or something else into them.

Now that I know all of this, I am going to set them up facing me in stereo so I can just groove on the sound myself, and give the rest of the band whatever they want through the PA. Tomorrow evening at 6pm. I cannot wait. It is a big stage, I have the room to spread out.

They don't look like much sound reinforcement at all, but Jeeeeesus. 2000W each.

landgrabber posted:

i played that pearly gates hardtail strat it sounded sick
If you ever have downtime to kill in Charlotte you know where I am, and you are always always welcome. We should just spend our time playing and talking about music. I can get my bass out and accompany you. I am adding a new guitar sometime around the 15th. :)

a.p. dent posted:

total lock up the first few times.
It was maybe the most frightening and shocking thing that's ever happened while I was holding a guitar. I was at a total loss. I think my whole life flashed before my eyes while I was staring down at my guitar neck. Somewhere in my head a voice was asking, "Is this it? Did I die?" lol

duodenum posted:

The Rev. Billy G definitely lines 'em up right. I played a Pearly Gates in a friends' guitar (straight into a DSL40) a couple years ago, and it was glorious. Now I'm GAS-sing, thank a lot folks.
My late pal was a ToneZone freak, he had a slew of Ibanezes and they all ended up with ToneZones in them. When I bought my PG I accidentally bought a standard-spaced pickup when I needed trem-spaced. So I had it just lying around. I gave it to him but he never installed it (and he was handy with a soldering iron.) So I took it upon myself to install it in his Pacifica and sent him home with it (like I wanted to do for lg), and from then until he passed I heard about it all the time. He just couldn't understand why he liked it so much when his whole approach to guitar was gain, gain, and more gain. It was funny, and it was fun. I'd say to this day my favorite two bridge humbuckers I have are that PG and a JB. Just can't go wrong with those guys.

I gotta go through all my poo poo and make sure I have all my cables and stuff for tomorrow!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Done. It's almost Saturday noight.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
lg, drat. That sucks.

I actually installed copper tape in three guitars after moving into this apartment. I have the same issue. Noise that I can make almost disappear by rotating my guitars. The shielding did nothing because it must be coming in through my passive pickups. I have a set of V4 noiseless pickups in a Strat and it handles the noise far better. It's so bad I have to really crank a noise gate to record anything with high gain. It really bums me out because my old apartment didn't have this issue and I am locked into this lease for a looong time. I need to build some kind of Faraday cage.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do folks feel about doubling up on guitar finishes in their collection? I'm really happy with my metallic purple Jaguar, and now I've seen I can get a Bass VI in the same color, except the headstock is also painted. I was originally looking at a black one which seems to be much less prevalent on the second hand market.

Might be more for the bass thread but I'm thinking of trying to get a body cheap and do some mods, like filtertrons again. If I'm feeling ambitious I considered getting a cheap Harley Benton VS and doing major work to it, ideally including adding the Jaguar/Bass VI style switches including a strangle on the low end. But I do really like the Jaguar tremulo and would really like that on this if I pull the trigger.
Unless I actually pull the trigger on a Guthrie Govan Charvel next week, I intend to get a guitar that matches my RG1070EWFMNTM:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=629#post525324274

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dang It Bhabhi! is a great guy who fixed my Dunlop Tremolo pedal for whatever I was willing to pay, and I am still both grateful and impressed. He makes pedal circuits and works, literally, at a pickup factory. He reached out to me just in the last several days to share the news about his job, and I suppose he was swinging by here to :justpost: about it. It is very cool, and so is he.
He's a very smart and insightful guy and his opinion ITT comports with my experience as well. I'm a reformed rear end in a top hat and will leave it at that.

I went to my audition on Sunday. I took my modeler, foot controller, three expression pedals, and both Headrush 108s. I put them both on 7. Since I had my laptop, I brought backing tracks with keys and vocals for us to play along with since we don't have a singer yet.
We played Montrose, solo Hagar, Van Halen, and The Circle. I got the output of my modeler up to about 4 and had to stop there. It was loving glorious and I'm going back Sunday at 6pm because I am officially attached to the project as of Monday.
I have a little video and stuff, but it's pretty bad. If I can pull a pic or two and figure out how to blur the drummer's face out (I have a licensed copy of Filmora X, maybe it is easy?) I'll put a selection up on YouTube. More likely I will take a tripod to rehearsal on Sunday and record as much as I can. We have a candidate for vocals, keys/rhythm guitar who will be available to audition in two weeks.

Talk about being in your happy place, doing what you love! Just grooving in the sweet spot between the two loud as gently caress FRFRs.

Also, these things are loving great.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O, that is pretty.