Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Dr. Faustus posted:

new thread new rule no e/n that means you lg

I'm bad at guitar and I cry whenever I play and my tears make the strings all rusty and I need a louder amp to block out the sound of my uncontrollable sobbing help me guitar thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Major Operation posted:

In the era of guitar tabs on the internet it promotes a bad habit of learning how to play notes but not teaching you anything about why they work together.

Hard disagree, tabs rule and are extremely useful for learning songs quickly, which is the fun part of playing guitar. A really good way to make sure a beginner gives up playing is to gatekeep the fun stuff behind music theory math problems, ear training, and chromatic fingering exercises. The best way to learn the instrument is to learn songs and tablature is an excellent tool for this. It is important to make sure people learn to use tabs correctly, though - specifically, using them to play along with the song to get phrasing and articulation and identify any errors. I think tabs get a bad rap because a lot of people don't listen to the song while using them and assume they are playing it correctly based on memory, or will only learn the main riff, or otherwise shortcut out. Thats not a fault of the tablature, though. And its not an exclusive tool either, you can use tabs while also learning theory basics, doing exercises, etc.

landgrabber posted:

gently caress this loving instrument god loving damnit

Buddy...

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

curried lamb of God posted:

A few of my easier go-tos:

Also, just about anything from Weezer's blue album is simple and fun to learn and often has interesting little bits and how did I beat lg to this recommendation

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

a.p. dent posted:

i don’t necessarily disagree, but notation also gets a bad rap among (mainly) self-taught guitarists for being too hard, unnecessary, and in extreme cases is actively discouraged. i have a chip on my shoulder for putting off learning reading for a decade, for those reasons

the other problem with tabs and chord sites is the dogshit quality of many transcriptions. not tablature’s fault, but a problem nevertheless

Again, that runs into the problem of gatekeeping that requires unfun, unintuitive interaction with music. You can give a total beginner who's never touched a guitar the tabs to smoke on the water and basic description of how to read it and they can likely play some rendition of the song within a few minutes. This wouldn't be remotely possible with traditional notation. One of these leads to fun right out of the box, the other leads to a dusty guitar in a basement. There's a place for notation but that wouldn't be for a beginner, unless it was some formalized, comprehensive music school setting or similar. Regarding tab quality, its definitely not perfect but it is a million times better than it was in the early '00s and places like Songsterr that let you play the tabs as midi files reduce the transcription errors considerably.

landgrabber posted:

i guess notation is kind of like, giving someone directions based on street signs and landmarks, and tab is more like turn by turn GPS navigation. maybe the turn-by-turn is better if you're just going to one specific place one time, but learning the street signs and landmarks will help you better understand the place you live. if that makes any sense

Sure, and beginners are like people who have just been dropped in a new city and don't know how to get around. I don't think anyone would be like "never use GPS, you're just cheating yourself" if someone just wants to get to a restaraunt or whatever. The more you're getting out and about, the more you're organically picking up on those landmarks and roadways. Telling people to stay in their house all day studying maps until they can navigate without GPS isn't particularly helpful, you know what I mean?

Anyway, my take is that I think learning an instrument should be as fun as possible and I prefer to encourage positive interaction with music whenever possible. Tabs make that easier than anything else I can think of. I also just kind of bristle at the idea of there being a "right" way to learn when there is essentially an infinite number of motivations for people to learn to play the guitar. Not everyone is trying to be a professional session musician and a lot of people just want to learn a few beatles songs on acoustic to play with friends at a barbeque.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

oh another thread christening thing:

RAT is best pedal

RATs you say? Check this one out:

https://blackmasselectronics.com/products/1312-distortion

It comes in pink and hates pigs

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 13, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Hellblazer187 posted:

I saw a youtube video about a website lalal.ai that lets you upload audio tracks and remove certain instruments. I don't know how much it's really "AI" and how much it's just very sophisticated software, using AI as a buzzword. Anyways, I used it to take out the guitar track for Looks that Kill and practicing along with the bass, drum, and vocal where I'm the only guitar is a very different feel and pretty cool. I'll probably try to edit back in the guitars for the solo, since I've only learned (and at this point am only capable of playing) the rhythm part. It's a neat practice tool, though. The separation is not perfect, but it's surprisingly good.

Hey this is cool. I tried a few songs and it works surprisingly well. The monetization model is poo poo and would be infinitely better as a one time app purchase but eh, I might try it on a few songs to do what you're doing and strip the guitar out of a few tracks to play along with the drums and bass.

Speaking of music tools, has anyone used Transcribe? I just downloaded the trial and so far it seems like it might be useful to slow stuff down and preserve pitch information and loop passages. Its better than youtube at any rate. The note guesses it makes don't seem super accurate but it might be helpful to ballpark hard to hear sections. Not really sure if its worth the money though. Or is there another tool like this that people recommend?

Agreed posted:

I think I have one in E standard, two in D Standard, one in drop C (sometimes put that one in a Devy-esque open C), and two in drop D. I just like the way a guitar sounds a little lower than the usual tuning, and I often write in C or D.

My main guitars are tuned in E standard, D standard, C standard, drop C, and a seven string in B standard/drop A. C standard is my favorite. Not sure why but it feels like it hits that sweet spot of heaviness and playability.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

I. M. Gei posted:

How exactly does one tell what "comfortable" feels like in a new guitar?

I've thought about picking up guitar for a while now and one of the reasons I haven't yet is because I don't know what to look for in a guitar in terms of how it feels to hold and play. Like I'm a trumpet player; I have a pretty good idea of what to look for comfort-wise when I'm buying a new horn. Not so much in a stringed instrument like a guitar.

I think thats going to be a really personal thing and you'll just have to try out a few different body/neck styles. A couple of things to keep in mind might be neck shape/thickness, fretboard radius and scale length. I would think a smaller radius and shorter scale length would probably be a bit more forgiving for a new player but honestly its really subjective.

Agreed posted:

I love the way C Standard sounds acoustically but I don't always like how it sounds recorded on 24.75-25.5" scale guitars, maybe I'm still using strings that aren't thick enough for those tunings (tend to bottom out at 10-52, some in 10-48) - I'd love to get a baritone to keep that low, though.

I do the 10-52 Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms for C or lower and I like the sound of them. I don't really record though so that might be a whole different animal

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

duodenum posted:

Strandbergs have a unique cross section but I've never held one to see the details.

I have one. It owns. It looks super weird but feels very natural. I can't explain it, its some sort of chaos magick I think. If you haven't seen it already, Strandberg also does a weird squiggly fret shape thing that somehow intonates perfectly all the way up and down the neck. Mine doesn't have this so I've never heard it in person but supposedly its so perfect that it sounds unsettling to some people, like theres no dissonance at all.

duodenum posted:

SG and Les Paul style guitars hang differently from where a strat style body hangs. The strap attaches to the upper horn of a strat at like the 12th fret and attaches to the body of a les Paul at about the 15th fret, an SG with the strap button behind puts the strap hang point even higher up the neck. The ergonomic implications of this aren't small. I would strap up and wear the candidates and see how it feels to hold and play them standing. Watch out for SGs with neck drop, you might have to hang some truck nuts off the bridge to balance it out.

I've owned an SG since the late 90s and a few different LPs over the years and the neckdive issue is wildly overblown in my experience. There's a tiny bit if you have a slippery strap and move around a ton but otherwise its a non-issue. I experience about the same amount of neckdive on my Jackson and strat copy. The only guitar I have that absolutely doesn't move at all is the strandberg, which of course doesn't have a head. I don't know though, maybe I've just gotten lucky with the guitars I have or I'm more tolerant of it than other people. It also might be an issue if you sling the guitar super low? I tend to wear mine about mid high.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

This is a strange question, but does anyone else get absolutely exhausted by practicing? Like, to the extent I often need to nap.

I don't fond playing or practicing boring, but particularly when I'm putting a lot of effort into tightening up rhythm or phrasing, I'm pooped.

Yeah sometimes. I think its related to tension because its less of a problem when I can get in the pocket and things are flowing smoothly. I definitely get more tired more quickly when I'm struggling to keep on time.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

I. M. Gei posted:

Surely this is a feeling other people besides me have had too?

Oh yeah, for sure. I've been playing off and on since I was a teenager and I'm mid-forties now and its still there for me. Now its more of a "I should be better than I am, I've been playing for 25 years!" kind of feeling but it comes from the same place I think. But like other people are saying, its ok to not be good at it as long as its fun and you feel like you're doing what you want. And of course you will get better. Its almost inevitable if you even somewhat consistently do the thing.

a.p. dent posted:

i’ve been playing guitar and telling people about it for almost 30 years…people rarely ask this. they just assume you’re good

I just had someone at work ask me if I was any good when he saw me looking at guitar poo poo on my phone. I just went "eh" and did the so-so motion with my hand. Its fine and no one really cares that much.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Sitting here trying to go through these exercises in Gustavo Assis-Brasil's Hybrid Picking book. I'm on page two and I already want to blow my brains out. Its like I've never held a guitar before in my entire life. I guess that's what I get for neglecting the fingers on my right hand for the last couple decades. This is going to be a loooong process lmfao.

Agreed posted:

In actual guitar chat, speaking of, I'm getting an Agile Septor 827 from their summer sale. Never had anything more than a 6 string, prepared to get it professionally set up and considering what pickups I might want in it because the idea of an 8 string is really appealing for doing some stuff I want to do with a looper these days.

I keep eyeballing an Agile 8 string thats been up on craigslist for a while. I have no reason to get it except its got so many strings and it goes chugga chugga bwow. When you get yours please cover the Doom soundtrack and post it here tia

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
You know what, whole half diminished scales kind of slay.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

NonzeroCircle posted:

Yeah for sure-diminished stuff is so handy for transitions and key changes and stuff too.

Also, that username is a Dr Octagon reference, right?
I love picking out samples on doctoroctagonecologist that I've heard elsewhere, there's definitely at least one on a Rob/White Zombie record

I've been messing around with the diminished scale for adding shreddy bits when playing in minor/harmonic minor/phrygian and it works really well there. The intervals make it easy to play fast and it has a nice dark feel without being too exotic. Im starting to get why its widely used in modern metal. I still don't have a good sense how/when to use diminished chords though. Gotta work on that.

And yeah, my username is from that bit on Octagonocologist. I used to be a real big Kool Keith fan. Dude rules but I wish he wasn't a crazy weirdo that canceled every show I bought tickets for

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

muike posted:

It's not a het style explorer but I really really recommend the Jericho Nomad. Mine is unbelievably good and has a longer scale which is not for everyone but I think just rules hard.

https://jerichoguitars.com/product/nomad-supernova/

That looks p nice. Also its the dude from Car Bomb's signature model which is certainly something

I've been half seriously considering ordering a custom build from Dunable. I've never played a Dunable guitar but they look extremely sick. Im sure that looking extremely sick is really all that matters in a guitar right?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

muike posted:

i'm constantly like one financial windfall away from asking dunable to make me a guitar lol. If you're looking for something specific and their vibe is what you're into... it's probably worth it.

When I saw Cave In I kept looking to see if Brodsky used his from Mutoid Man and 2MTLN

Ha, I just got an email from my work yesterday saying our utilization bonus will be issued this week which is what got me thinking about ordering a custom build. Depending on how much it is I might just put down a deposit.

Re: Mutoid Man, that guy recently had his Green amp and a cab up for sale on craigslist, maybe 6 months ago. Wish I could have justified it, looked like a sweet rig.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

80k posted:

I'm looking into the Helix stomp or the Fractal FM3, but I really don't want to spend all my guitar time on a computer, being overwhelmed with the settings. Curious on any advice from people who have gone this route. I don't even have a Windows or Mac PC so that is another problem. I could envision tweaking things on a phone or tablet, and I saw that someone made an iOS and Android app for Fractal equipment, but the price of the dongle and the app adds another chunk of money to it and not sure how well supported it will be.

You don't need a computer to create patches with most modeling gear that I'm familiar with but it does make it considerably easier. You also don't have to spend hours dialing in tones. I created a nice sounding patch on my HX Stomp within about 15 minutes of powering it on for the first time. Granted, I already had some experience using modelers but still, its not really all that complicated. It also depends on if you are the type of person to go down tone tweaking rabbit holes or not.

I would probably recommend the HX Stomp if its your first modeler. Fractal stuff is insanely good but obviously much more expensive and complicated. The Stomp sounds great and integrates with a pedal board really well. Its limited by only having six blocks but I havent found that to be an issue, personally. But if youre the kind of person that likes to really dive into tone design, or just want the higher quality models/IRs, it might be worth going straight to the FM3

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Got a couple packs of the Dunlop Jazz III Gator Grips. I'd been using the 1.5mm regular Gator Grips and after getting used to the Jazz III smaller size, I gotta say I like the sharper point. There's a noticeable increase in pick attack, especially on fast trem picking. Pretty nice! I wish they had them in a thicker profile with the grippy texture though.

Also, question: what are some good IR packs that people are using? I want to try out some different cab sims with my HX Stomp but I'm not really sure whats worth looking at. I remember seeing internet people talk up the Ownhammer stuff but that shits spendy. Not a big problem if they are worth it but I'd rather not just throw money at things randomly.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Gramps posted:

I have a ton of different IRs, but unless you're a pro mix engineer who needs a zillion options (even a pro doesn't need as many as I have) just kick mr. Bogren a few bucks and grab his pack. They sound fabulous and have silly names so it's easy to remember which ones you like

I looked at those and a lot of reviews say they're really good for a mix but not that great for solo play, which is generally what I do. In fact, its all I do.

luchadornado posted:

As you're figuring out other people's songs - how do you tell which chord voicing to use? I'm learning Pearl Jam's Alive and the acoustic part for the verse is essentially just A and Gadd9 strummed. My guitar teacher showed me one way that is also how it was done on MTV unplugged. The official tab book has another way. The "official" ultimate guitar tab has yet another way.

Seems like the way the actual band plays it would be the best choice here? Official tab books aren't usually written by the bands themselves, I don't think, and online tabs can be hit or miss. Its great that nowadays we have easy access to hidef video of bands playing their songs live so we can see what it is they're actually doing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Baron von Eevl posted:

A lot of good sounds, not just guitar but all instruments, might sound like dogshit solod but fit in mix beautifully. Usually it's about pushing a few narrow frequency bands really hard. Conversely, a muff songs dope on its own but really disappears in a mix unless you really know what you're doing, especially live.

Right, I understand that. That's why I was wondering if those particular IR's would be good for me if I'm not using them to put together a mix

Gramps posted:

Nah they just sound great, period. I tend to prefer them even when I'm just practicing or noodling.

Fair enough. I'll check em out

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The Leck posted:

Not to dissuade from more purchases, but you can definitely get some good sounds out of the stock Helix cabs, though it might take some tweaking. I know Jason Sadites on youtube has a ton of videos on using the Helix stuff and is a big proponent of the stock cabs - if you haven't checked him out, there's a huge amount of useful information there.

One piece of advice that keeps coming up is to drop the high cut on the cab significantly. They're all (I think) defaulted to 8kHz, and just to pick a super common example, a Celestion Greenback starts rolling off the highs way before that. Pulling the high cut down to 4 or 5 kHz can help a lot in terms of sounding better/more real.

Oh for sure. Im not unhappy with the stock IRs, I just wanted to try some different cab sims for funsies.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

darkwasthenight posted:

It's crazy that Rick Rubin ruined Make Believe and then ten more Weezer records in a row. What a dick.

lmao

Got some stuff over the last couple weeks:

Been wanting a tele for ages and finally snagged one that I liked. This is the Highway 1 model with the nitro finish, basically the "cheap" USA made model they did for a few years. I know it doesn't really matter but I figured that if I got a Fender, I wanted it to be a USA Fender. I think this is a 2006? Sounds and plays great.

I have an old AxeFX Ultra rack unit that I've been using forever but have been thinking about upgrading for a while. This showed up on craigslist the other day for $750 and I couldn't pass it up. I haven't had a lot of time with it yet but the first thing I noticed is that Fractal in no way bothered to streamline their UI, loving lol. It took me nearly 45 minutes to figure out how to get the headphone jack to output. Once I did though, it sounds insanely good. The amp models are unbelievable. I haven't even tried to put together a patch yet, just playing through presets and some models the previous owner created. So far my initial comparison to the HX Stomp is that the Fractal stuff sounds better but the Stomp is roughly a billion times more user friendly. I'm pretty sure you can do tons more with the FM3 than you can with the Stomp but there's definitely a learning curve to make the most out of it. Also the Stomp automatically sets up as an interface as soon as I plug it into my computer, the FM3 does not and might have to go through a DAW? Not sure yet. Again, not super user friendly but it is a more "pro" level of gear I suppose and I'm a dumbass amatuer, so...RTFM I guess!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

gregday posted:

I can never get over having the fret markers on the side like that instead of centered.

My strandberg is like that and I really like it. I prefer when they switch to the treble side past the 12th fret though.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah. I wanna justpost about this topic too, please.

That's a pretty nice setup!

I'm going to mess around and do some more comparisons of the FM3 vs Stomp I think and see which ends up working better for me. I'm not a performing musician, this is just a hobby for me so I may or may not end up keeping the FM3 just because of how dense and obscure the interface is. Maybe once I start messing around in the software it will be easier to get what I want out of it. I still very much like the models in the HX Stomp, but there's no doubt that Fractal has them beat. The responsiveness and feel is all there in a way that it isn't with the Line6 but I'm not sold on whether its worth it, since I'm just jamming songs in my office.

landgrabber posted:

i will say it yet again:

people make fun of me for liking weezer, and then all the things they point out in my music as poo poo they like, is stuff that's really weezer influenced.

Weezer has one and a half great albums! Say It Aint So is a fun song to play. Shame about literally everything else they ever put out though

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

i hate this narrative because it carries the implication that people who need music theory or use theoretical knowledge in the process of writing are lesser artists.

all theory does is show you what the possibilities in front of you are, and what the effects will be of choosing one of them. the order of assembly, the goal, expression, and especially the text, are still very much the choice of the artist.

and whenever anyone makes this claim, they never cite any great music written by people who don't know theory and actually just work on instinct. it's almost as if theory, methods, and clear process are actually required to express a clear vision

Theory is a tool, not a requirement. There are tons of bands that make great music without formal music training. A lot of folks just learn pentatonic scale shapes and go from there. There's also a lot of guitarists that know theory backwards and forwards and make the most lifeless, boring music imaginable. There's a whole lot of paths to making music and there's nothing wrong with any of them if it leads to good music. There's no right way or wrong way to make art. That said, the vast majority of players benefit from studying at least some theory because very few have the natural talent and drive to reinvent the wheel on their own.

Also, re: weezer, I'm glad you get so much out of their music and that it encourages you to do deep dive analysis of how they made it. People just clown around about them because they are so notorious for having this major breakout album and then fizzling out super hard on everything after. And Rivers' whole, you know *waves hands around* everything

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Agreed posted:

we butted heads over whether prog was awesome (it is awesome, eat poo poo prog haters)

:hmmyes:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I've recommended it here before but the EQD Dispatch Master is a really dope ambient reverb/delay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXb3XRTsfTo

The Dark Star also looks really cool but despite having it on my Reverb watch list forever I still haven't actually picked one up yet. I think either one would work really well for chill ambient noise making

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

massive spider posted:

I really did not like the dispatch master I had. There’s no modulation option or footswitch ability to use the reverb/delay independently. It’s felt limited to just variations if one sound and I demand MORE from my reverb computers.

I have a Strymon Big Sky. It sounds absolutely amazing and there are near infinite options for type, modulation, and tone. You can dial in pretty much any sort of reverb sound you can imagine. Its an amazing pedal. That said, 99% of the time when I play through an amp I end up using the Dispatch Master or EHX Holy Grail for reverb because they just sound good out of the box on pretty much any setting. Except Flerb. No one uses Flerb.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

I passed in the end. (Very brief, but relevant E/N) I quit drinking recently, and any money that would have been spent in a bar or on a bottle of wine is going into a guitar fund, so the promise of a G&L, Reverend or maybe even an SG is keeping me from craving a cheeky pint and it feels a bit early to break into that fund for an impulse buy.

Good for you! I quit drinking years ago and its really important to find an activity (and community) that's not drinking related to focus on in order to be successful.

And yeah, good idea passing on that epi les paul. I had one a long time ago and it was poo poo. Newer versions might be better but the older 90's to early 2000's ones were garbage for sure, at least in my experience

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
FM3 update: I got the unit to talk to my computer after installing the driver but now there is a chance that when I unplug the USB it just shuts down my computer lmao. loving Fractal. Anyway, I updated the firmware and reset everything to factory settings and presets. It sounds incredible and its much easier to use FM3 edit than the hardware interface. One of the things I was noticing is that, compared to the HX Stomp, a lot of the amp models are much less forgiving when it comes to playing mistakes. Somehow the Stomp models smooth over my garbage playing while the FM3 models are much more accurate and that makes me feel bad about myself. I blame Fractal for this.

landgrabber posted:

i just want to get notes and chords out smoothly and easily. i don't really have any interest in vibrato. i really do tend to play a guitar like a piano.

Its just practice and technique. Playing clean is really really hard and takes a poo poo ton of practice. I should know, I struggle with it constantly. Also please use vibrato, it makes the instrument sound alive and is one of the reasons guitar is cool.

Have you ever had your guitar professionally set up? I know you were saying money is tight, but it might be worth investing in. I know how to do set ups and intonation and all that but whenever I have a pro do it, its just that much smoother and nicer feeling. You might consider it, just so you can see how the instrument feels when its in its best possible state.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also I'm buying another multi-scale guitar tomorrow. Multiscale is cool and looks cool.

Hell yeah, whatcha getting? I was a bit worried when I got a multiscale that I would have to relearn or adjust to it but, nah, it feels natural and I didn't even notice it. I really like having the tension on the bass side without having to fight so hard for bends on the treble side.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

well since the talk yesterday, i've just been focusing on making sure my fingers are much closer to the frets in each shape i play. seems to be working -- everything's a lot easier. i used to stick my index finger right in the middle of the fret to barre it, which... not a great idea.

the weird thing about me, and i know it's lame to post it in The Guitar Thread: i don't think guitar is cool at all. i wanted to play an instrument cause i think i could feel the need to start playing music in my bones a little bit -- and i had a piano and i tried teaching it to myself, because i couldn't afford lessons. but it's a really really hard instrument to teach yourself, meanwhile it was easy for me to become a pretty OK guitar player just by practicing songs and reading up on music theory.

i think it's kind of obvious in that my favorite guitar players are people who almost made a career out of being anti-guitar players. rivers cuomo dispensing with a lot of the shredding poo poo in the early 90s, and joey santiago rarely playing non-lead octaves all over doolittle, and even johnny marr, who, though technically impressive, his parts are still rooted less in being a virtuoso guitar player than they are serving a composition.

i'm actually a little bit bummed because i don't always want to arrange with a guitar, but it's the instrument i'm best at, so i have to use it to compose. i'm a piano major, and if i could move all of those skill points over, i probably would, but whatever.

also in jazz band i have to sit next to this guy whose entire personality is basically guitar. i can't play anything else worth a drat, so i play guitar in the jazz band. i've basically specialized in barre chords and extensions for the last couple years, so it hasn't been an issue for me. but this guy a)went to my high school and used to hit on my sister all the time and b) is constantly playing the wrong chords. we have to share an amp due to the situation at the school.

so it's just a pretty loving miserable experience for me lately.

That's great you're working on technique, its just as important as theory when it comes to playing any instrument. Sorry to hear about having to deal with a dumb dick at school, sounds like that sucks a whole lot.

Re "anti-guitar": Honestly, I would say virtuoso playing/shredding is largely the outlier in most music that features guitar. Guitar players focus on it a lot because its impressive to us but guitar is such a flexible instrument that can be used in zillions of different contexts. I listen to a bunch of tech death and prog with super high level playing but some of my favorite players are people like Duane Dennison, Greg Ginn and Lee Ranaldo. I love Joey Santiago and Johnny Marr as well. Guitar isn't just a wank stick. The best players know how to fill out a song with all of that other stuff that comes in between face melting solos.

Its interesting to me that you see piano and guitar so differently. I started trying to teach myself some keyboard when I got into synths and I was pretty surprised at how much actually translates. Keys are like spreading out the guitar in a line instead of a box. In a lot of ways keys are much easier because of that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i cant believe Beato got a signature guitar. why on earth

They know their customer base

e: Lol the most modern player they have for a signature model is Dave Mustaine. They are all in on boomer nostalgia, Beato is a perfect fit

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 15, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

SGs seem to be having a moment. I don't know, I guess Gibson doesn't need to sell many guitars when selling 2 or 3 a month would feed a family of 86 kids with tapeworms.

SGs own, best guitar ever. Gibsons in general are rad, iconic guitars but the company is a mess that's relying exclusively on boomer dollars in a market that makes little sense. I'm always looking through the craigslist music section and the with the number of used LPs that flood the market, it is wild to me that they can hold any value at all. There's just so many of them. But that kind of thing is never rational I guess.

Re Gibson pricing: Gibsons are only produced in the US and USA made Fenders are comparable in price. Fender puts their name on guitars made in non-US factories so the average pricing for Fender branded instruments is lower than Gibson branded instruments. Its a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Doesn't make the Gibsons any more affordable, though, that's for sure

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

Fender is kind of eating their lunch connecting with new players, while Gibson seems to think 60yr old dentists are immortal.

:hmmyes:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Since Rick Beato came up, I have to take a second to vomit up all of my hate towards this boomer-brained shill. I discovered a little while ago that I just straight up despise this guy and everything he does when I was looking up some video explanations of the circle of fifths. At some point I realized I didn't really know how it worked even though I thought I had a general gist of the idea. So I went looking for some tutorials. His "one hour music theory" video was nothing but him showing vague representations of theory ideas while shouting "do you see how this works?!?!" followed by an extended ad for all of his books and lesson programs. He constantly does the carny grifter trick of showing off his ear training by identifying chords by ear and immediately going into ad copy about how you too can do this if you just buy all of his poo poo. The majority of his music theory "lessons" were "buy stuff, from me". It drives me up the wall. There's nothing I dislike more than a shameless self-promoter and gate keeper. Also he constantly whines about Youtube demonitization, which normally I would agree with but from him is just obvious greed and entitlement. I hate him so much lmao.

Incidentally, I found a really good tutorial from a very nice lady that explains music theory as if you are a toddler and it rules. Its actually useful knowledge presented well.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

a.p. dent posted:

i thought beato's "theory for songwriters" was good, but that may be because i already knew a decent amount of theory going in

He knows his stuff, but I feel like I only understood what he was talking about with basic theory because I already knew it myself, for the most part. He's a terrible teacher. Reminds me of some of my professors that would get upset that we didn't intuitively understand complex concepts after brief explanations because they did this stuff everyday for decades and it seemed self evident to them. On the plus side, my professors didn't spend 60% of class time shilling their books.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

or maybe a better question is just: what's a good rat with more options/tweakability? curious about getting some adjustment out of one.

i love my RAT dearly and sometimes just wish i could massage it in a bit of a different direction.

i will say the Tone Chase is basically over. i'm VERY happy with what i'm getting out of my hot rod deville set cleanly, with the RAT going into it, with my JB guitar going into that. tone is mostly a solved problem for me these days-- i mainly am curious about a more adjustable RAT so that i could keep tone i like, while adjusting it a little bit, for adding more guitar tracks, that are different but gel well together.

I've mentioned it before, but check out the Black Mass 1312. Its a bunch of RAT circuits in one pedal, it has a burning cop car graphic, it comes in pink, and half the proceeds are given to trans rights and BLM support orgs.

And for cool punk girls, you should check out Amyl and the Sniffers.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Saw this reposted to the PYF Tweets thread. Time to step up your game folks

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Metal kitty is disappointed in the quality of your pinch harmonics

Malaria posted:

I decided I'd learn how to do sweep picking a little while ago.

Several days and hours of practice later and I am utterly defeated. My brain just can't do it. This is like the first time I've felt like throwing my guitar out of frustration since like when I was trying to learn barre chords 25ish years ago as a kid. It just feels totally foreign and not do able.

Sweeping is dumb and I'm mad I can't even do a lovely Yngwie impression.

I go through this every few months. gently caress sweeps. Also hybrid picking.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

a.p. dent posted:

hell yes! it's liberating to be able to read off a sheet. you don't need to rely on awful or non-existent tabs!

there's probably reasons to learn how to read sheet music but it isn't because there's more of it available or that its necessarily more accurate than tablature

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Guitar Pro takes care of all of that, and can show you both at once. Between that and other similar things, I don't think I've ever looked at a plaintext tab in 15 years.

Right. I think a lot of people have this idea that tabs are still the poorly typed notepad text files from the 90s and not playable guitarpro files with tons of musical information baked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

a.p. dent posted:

oh no, absolutely not - we've been working on it for almost a year, off and on, together and separate. took a long time to get it up to that speed

Its always good to get reminders that this stuff isn't easy and requires lots of practice. I've been working on one particular song for several months now and have been feeling pretty discouraged that I'm still only like 90% there. Good job on putting in the work and getting it up to speed!