Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

classic vid of SRV breaking a string, then changing guitars without missing a beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1pk8Lpelc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Huxley posted:

I think LG has finally, mostly, figured out the thread vibe and should be allowed to e/n when they need to.

i use she/her -- i'm a girl.

taking hormones honestly kinda helped, partially because there's less self-loathing, but also because now i can just cry because of the constant emotional battering i receive, instead of depersonalizing so hard that the only way i can approximate feeling my feelings is by articulating them through forum posts

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

gently caress this loving instrument god loving damnit

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

curried lamb of God posted:

A few of my easier go-tos:
  • The Strokes - The Modern Age
  • Bloc Party - Banquet
  • Blink 182 - Dammit
  • Interpol - Slow Hands

Generally the post-punk stuff from the early-00's isn't too tough to play and not particularly high tempo, and thankfully it's one of my favorite genres so that's a bonus!

i approve of most of these

Shankel Magnus posted:

A new thread, so it feels like a good time to post this.

I've been playing on-off for the last couple of years but the last month I've really been bitten by the practice bug. I've started trying to find easy songs to play along with on Youtube. It's neat how even really simple songs can have you practice a bunch of different skills.

Stuff I've done so far:
- Hole: Celebrity Skin -> Fairly easy to follow power chords and power chord changes.

- White Stripes: Feel in Love with a Girl -> B,A,D,E, major changes and a chance to practice changing from E to a F# bar chord. Great rhythm that I don't have to feel too precise about to get the right feel.

- Jack White: 16 Saltines -> Fairly simple power chord changes, a section to practice hammer ons, and the 1st part of the solo is a series of triplets going down (I think the 1st position Pentatonic scale)

- Twisted Sister: I Wanna Rock -> A major chord into power chords. Some variations in the rhythm at different parts in the song. Not too complicated but I feel pretty cool when I play along to it.

- Green Day: Hitchin a Ride -> Power Chords, Palm Muting, Muting with your fretting hand, E major to F# major bar chord practice, I think some octave chords if you do the solo.

- Pearl Jam - Corduroy: Multiple string picking for the intro, quicker power chords into a G major shape. A series of chords for the chorus based off of the G major shape.

- Lick it Up - Kiss: Single string picking, palm muting, G, D, A major chord changes, simple bends for the bridge, couple of different bar chords. A neat thing I found is that this song just seems to be a practical lesson in hand movement conservation.

Does anyone have any similar easy songs that I could maybe add to the list?

Also thanks to the Goon that said you can get Fedex to spiral bound your books for $7. That's a game changer!

hell yeah celebrity skin by hole is a great song!!

gonna seem funny for me to mention, but seriously -- weezer is a great band to pick up on songwriting and guitar playing from.

often based in power chords, but if you pay attention and find a decent tab, you can pick up the inversions. and often times the leads are more melodic than shred -- i actually can't overstate enough just how much about music and organizing it from playing those songs. he has a really motivic approach to everything.

even just the repetition of the first verse phrase from buddy holly on the guitar in the break between the first chorus and second verse.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a.p. dent posted:

i don’t necessarily disagree, but notation also gets a bad rap among (mainly) self-taught guitarists for being too hard, unnecessary, and in extreme cases is actively discouraged. i have a chip on my shoulder for putting off learning reading for a decade, for those reasons

the other problem with tabs and chord sites is the dogshit quality of many transcriptions. not tablature’s fault, but a problem nevertheless

said this in the last thread but i much prefer notation to tablature.

sight reading on guitar like on piano doesn't really make much sense, but as far as just learning songs -- notation tells me what the music actually is, whereas tab only tells me "put your fingers here and play what's underneath them".

i guess notation is kind of like, giving someone directions based on street signs and landmarks, and tab is more like turn by turn GPS navigation. maybe the turn-by-turn is better if you're just going to one specific place one time, but learning the street signs and landmarks will help you better understand the place you live. if that makes any sense

now: time to go to guitar center and hope they have fret cleaner so i can sink hours into setting up this instrument so i can practice it again without having a trainwreck occur in my brain whenever i go to hit my B string on the third fret and BOOM sitar note

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

wish gretsch made something a little more aesthetically tasteful than saul goodman's cadillac deville, because filtertrons are super nice sounding

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i don’t know what he had but i played faust’s modeling setup and it actually sounded pretty tight

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

the transfeminine guitarist urge to buy a shell pink short scale offset

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

boss katana should get you the sound you’re looking for

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok but what guard? Tort? Mint? Pearl? Anodized gold?

tort on a jaguar, white on a mustang/duo-sonic

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

b string sitars but only on my third fret. ugh

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh another thread christening thing:

RAT is best pedal

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

HELL YEAH SISTER

edit to the tune of the train song

it's an OD and then a distortion and then a fuzz as you turn the knobs up. it sounded good on my telecaster. it sounds good on my JB guitar. i saw a youtube vid earlier today where it sounded good on a modular synth. i think mine was like $90 and i bought it brand new.

it's so tight

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i was doing a string change yesterday and there’s no divot on the 3rd fret B string, but there are high up on the G string.

i’m physically good at this instrument and it’s fun to play but god drat— what is with my lovely luck when it comes to setups??? it impedes actually playing/writing so much.

ugh

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also: frine didn’t do anything. i thought the frets were supposed to instantly get shiny again. they still look like they did.

the thing i’m more upset about is that this is only seven months in to having this guitar. already having to do fret/neck stuff is such a bummer.

i just want to play the loving instrument jesus

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 14, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

is it an issue that you can just deal with or is it an actual issue that needs to be repaired?

it started with a buzzy B string on only the third fret, which truss rod adjustments wouldn’t fix (and i never did more than a quarter turn at a time).

i just loving can’t deal with when i’m playing and i’m dialed in, and i’m writing something! and it’s wonderful and i like it, and my brain has shut up and it’s just giving me the note i need to play next-

and then i hit the worst sounding note i’ve ever heard in my life because it’s sitar-ing.

i was writing a cool song where it was in G and i was playing the open C shape with the high root on the third fret. a cool D shape but with a 2 and a 4 (cause i’d leave the top strings open and play them as part of the arpeggio).

then one day i went to do that and i just hit that note and it makes me dramatically sad.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it's just sad and frustrating. i don't have the money to pour into either getting this fixed, or tools to fix it, a luthier, or a new neck.

i can tell you though that if i could go back in time i would not buy this guitar and do what i did.

i wanna go tell past Rose that she'll actually really appreciate short scale, and to get a duosonic HS and get the pickup changed, or a mustang 90

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm sorry, it's GAS.

nah, either of those would be cheaper than what i ended up paying for a less comfortable guitar that is currently eating poo poo after ~8 months.

and i bounce back and forth between standard and Eb so even with a decked trem something hardtail would still be better for that.

i don't even have too much GAS anymore-- i can only cognitively manage one guitar at a time. GAS was a fun way to pass the time when i didn't know how to write anything. then i went to school and i learned a lot about actually writing stuff -- and that's all i want to do. but i learned that just in time to get hosed by all this stuff. it's so frustrating.

also the pots on this guitar are still bad, and not separate from each other and manipulate the pickups in really weird ways and i still need to get that fixed.

and the push pot (which was a stupid idea anyway) still needs to be "up" to get into normal humbucking mode. so if i accidentally get too into it, the act of playing music, i'll hit the pot, it'll trigger "series" mode, and the tone dies.

the volume gets exponentially quieter from 10-8, not that much quieter from 8-2, and 1 doesn't silence it completely.

it's so stupid. chronologically, it's the last stupid, Male Brained thing i did

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

every one of those little things is something that’s making me That Person Who Doesn’t Have Their poo poo Together.

my mom is a crazy person and organizes everything in her life so that it’s as precarious to do as possible.

i am on a mission to not be that person, because eventually, the right papercut at the right time means something doesn’t happen and you look like a fool.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway real question, cause i’m about to go home and do the rest of a setup:

seems like i didn’t completely mask the fretboard from the frine too well. there’s some left over around a couple frets. it’s a glossy maple board.

what do i do to get that off?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

anyway real question, cause i’m about to go home and do the rest of a setup:

seems like i didn’t completely mask the fretboard from the frine too well. there’s some left over around a couple frets. it’s a glossy maple board.

what do i do to get that off?

still looking for a solution to this -- want to just suck it up and string it up again and get back to the important shituntil i have the money to sort it out.

or did i simply gently caress up all my frets lol

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

my long term memory did kick in and i guess i should've taken it more seriously where like

when i went to see faust, he did an inspection and was like "oh these frets aren't really leveled" and did a bit of work.

then when i went to see the weird guitar center luthier lady, she was like "oh these frets aren't really leveled" and did a bit of work.

so it's probably just the area of mexican fender QC where i ate poo poo this time.

next time i get some money i'll try to find the best luthier in my general area, go see 'em, and see if they can give the frets some special attention

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

OK sorry for triple post, BUT: detective rose figures something else out:

the frets that are bad? like that have divots or flatter spots on them?

well i looked at the ends of them, from either side of the neck. and they're really shittily glued in, it seems like.

that's where the bulk of "frine i can't clean" is. there're cracks in the finish on the sides of the neck, around the frets, i guess because they've been moving around.

now-- is this something that could've happened as a result of use?

i didn't do anything insane with it, but living in a humid area, with extreme temperature changes. it's not so bad in my house, but i would do things like, put it in a gig bag, put it in my car for an hour or two, where it'd get really hot, then take it out in a cold room -- because i was taking it to school to use for jazz band practice. could that have caused frets to move around? all the heat? or is it just a remnant of lovely factory work

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

there's wear everywhere, for sure, but it's way worse and more flat/dented on those that are clearly not glued in well.

i'm back on the telecaster and looking at it, and even though the fret ends are hilariously dull, they're not nearly as high. there're no dents in anything, even though this guitar has been through WAY more abuse.

also i guess i really am meant for humbuckers, because with the JB it's way easier for me to get lovely high notes to sound alongside everything else while distorted, on the telecaster pickups it seems to compress way earlier. i feel like it's easier to feel the really lush voicings i like to play with the humbucker.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

unrelated to anything: thinking lately that i would really enjoy a lavender colored fender

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i thought GAS was mostly what this thread was though.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

pretty sure a lot of this dry frine is in places that are hard to clean because the frets are so high and weird. ugh!

i am such a clown i spent so much money on this stupid guitar

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

muike posted:

What is "frine?" i've never used that word before but it sounds very explanatory for what you're describing

fret polish

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

muike posted:

Like on the playing surface or on the sides where the fret ends are visible on the neck?

not where fret ends are visible but like the sides of the frets themselves.

i was trying to use toothpicks lightly to clean it all up, idk

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh no the toothpicks did a good job of cleaning some of it out... was just worreid it'd scratch the frets (though toothpicks are pretty soft).

there's just some of it i can't even get out with such a fine little point, though, which makes it feel like the frets should've maybe been glued in better idk!!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

muike posted:

god if you were near my tech all of this would get fixed under normal rates

honestly already working on it.

i have some other stuff that i've been putting off getting fixed (goofy wiring, poor shielding, non-matching back plate thing lol, goofy pots) so next time i have some money i'm going to get all the stuff and then find a good capital L Luthier in my nearest Metro Area and see if they can do everything.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

telecaster nut worn to poo poo. still playable but needs to be replaced.

how easy/expensive is that to have done?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

A graphtech TUSQ slotted nut is like $15 and an upgrade. Install should be fairly cheap if you don't want to do it yourself, you could probably have it done with a setup for a nominal fee.

oh sick.

thinking of that + a not-lovely input jack + a better string tree (the one on it atm is this awful vintage style one that always comes loose with every re-string and it’s infuriating) for the holy trinity of “cheap mods that drastically improve your life”

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did you get straplocks?

i've always just used the cheap rubber blocks actually

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i would try it myself actually because it seems pretty simple (and i’d get a pre-cut one) but on this telecaster it’s very very glued in, from the factory. probably going to require some heat and not just careful force.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Huxley posted:

I'm happy I sprung $100 for a set of stewmac files (in 10). It's let me really dial in and experiment on a couple of mine, and the times I've messed it up it's just $10 to try again (or a veneer shim, or a filler). It's good and fun to learn to do stuff so long as your brain will allow you to be happy with work you've done yourself.

i could eventually be happy with work done myself i think, i mean, i’ve gotten there with music after long enough, it’s more that i don’t really have anyone to actually teach me the stuff, or answer questions, or provide the experience/wisdom that makes everything go smoother from the beginning.

i will eventually try soldering again but i’m going to do the smart thing and get a soldering iron where i can actually control the temperature, so i don’t cook parts before i figure out how to melt the solder.

and it’s all kinda low priority for me compared to “write great music”, “practice singing, “practice piano”, and “move out” and “transition further” so like the wiring just kind of has to take a back seat for now

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

guess i'll be the one to jump on the grenade here... ugh, i hate this.

my nut glue started coming out clear around week 2. significantly weaker, huge relief.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

for vocal melodies at least, it helps me to have a phrase i'm thinking of, like a song hook idea or something, and then based on poetic foot, or how the phrase is said, using that to kind of write the basic form of the melody. we have strong/weak notes in both rhythms and poetic foot, and we have consonant and dissonant notes with each chord. so lining those things up with each other tends to help, and often, you'll end up with interesting stuff that way.

like, let's use something really basic, that i would never in my life be able to live down the embarrassment of writing as an emo hook-- the phrase "i can't even try".

the way i would say that to express the mood i'm in, i would breeze past the "i can't", i'd emphasize the "E" and to a lesser extent the "ven", and i'd hang on the "try", not with strength but with duration, to indicate that something's coming after it.

so i already know that if i'm writing in 4/4, i might want to start on the 4th beat, with two eighth notes that i'll sing "i can't" to, so i can hit the 1st beat with a consonant quarter note to emphasize the "E", move by step to a dissonant note in the harmony on the 2, so you're aching for something on the "ven", and then on the 3, the "stronger but not strongest" beat in 4/4, i know that would be a good place for "try", because a) it's the only place it can go, but b) that third beat is a good place to kind of pause. it doesn't feel finished, but it feels like more of a stopping point that if you tried to resolve on the 2 or the 4. but since it's not exactly the strongest beat either, i have some options -- i could write eighth notes there, maybe even into the 4th beat, and make it a melismatic lyric. or i could just keep it as a quarter. and i could probably get away with a more dissonant note there, to preserve motion.

and that doesn't really get too into harmony, but... i already have my note placement and duration, and that's a lot of it. you can totally woodshed harmony, just trying different intervals and using your ears, but even then, there're basic guidelines that help.

as a general rule, what i've found is that the easiest way to write music is to first learn what decisions your core ideas have already made for you. each decision you make reduces the number of possible other things you can add, because the new things have to work well with an increasing amount of set in stone ideas.

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 19, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway last night i tried re-stringing the peach strat and broke my high E before i got it in tune.

have another pack here so i'm gonna give it another go, but god, i do not like the "modern" fender tuner design atall (pretend i said that like a british person where you say "at all" quickly but with more emphasis on "all")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh my god i hosed up this pack too, i am such a dumbass

thought the A string was a low E string