Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hey people I have a general dumb question that I figure tall would have the answer to
I recently got into double bass, and the drat thing is tonnes of fun, but not exactly practical. Wanting to play in a band eventually I need something portable.

I'm looking for the cheapest acoustic bass solution that is robust and portable (ie can be transported on a bicycle)

Currently looking at possibly taking a cheap nylon acoustic student guitar (maybe 3/4?) , refitting the nut and bridge to accept some nylon weed wacker double bass strings.

Is this dumb? Or is there even a chance this could be worth investigating

I've seen similar conversions done on steel string acoustics, but never with nylon bass strings on a nylon acoustic

I'm happy to accept a... unique... Sound , as long as I can plod a little bass line down I'll be happy., I just dont know enough about string tension and scale lengths to know if this is dead in the water

Cheers , and thanks for any consideration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

internet celebrity posted:

I used Magma Transpositor strings when I needed my nylon acoustic in baritone tuning but they also have bass vi tuning strings - https://magmastoreusa.com/collectio...-copper-gc110-2

Definitely an option! I already have a nylon acoustic, and this might be the easiest thing

Armacham posted:

Have you looked at a Ukulele Bass like the Kala? I have one with flatwound strings and it rips

I have seen these, however money and robustness are very highly prized here and I think such an instrument might be too precious for this plan

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I was somewhat afraid of this,

Regarding tools and such, I have access to a full workshop, with some CNC tools and a whole bunch of offcuts

I have considered a simple washtub bass, but would really like to have something with a traditional fingerboard I can transfer my muscle memory onto

I am halfway considering a 3/4 string bucket diddly bow build , but that seems like a lot of labour,but within my capabilities

Anyway, thanks again for any input, Bass got me very excited

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

ah gently caress it's that boy on his unicycle and he's got a fuckin guitar now great !

Back in the day you might have seen me with a 12 string riding a unicycle around

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Seconding taking a day or two break

Your pain might be getting in the way , messing with your mind etc

It's guitar, there is no rush, have a break come back to it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

MJP posted:

My new instructor, upon hearing my physical pain issues, grabbed a tape measure, measured my torso and arm lengths, then his, and worked out a quick proportion. Apparently the proportion of my torso to arms is a bit long - makes sense given my dress shirt sizing. If I'm practicing seated, getting the guitar to rest on a leg means that it sits so low in the strap that I'll have trouble reaching it in rockstar position. Classical helps thanks to adjustable footstools, and standing + classical angle helps too, but it does seem that there's odd quirks at play.

I forgot that I had one of these lying around. I was futzing with it while I was still starting out on classical guitar to try to avoid the footstool + lumbar issue. I ended up just dealing with it and only playing for short stints, but it might be time to dust it off and see if it'd work for getting a good position on my right leg while seated.

Also helped that the new guy instantly grasped what works for folks with ADHD and started breaking down practices + stretches etc. into a checklist. Sweet mother of mercy, thank you for giving me someone who seems to have a rough idea of neurodivergent brain functionality when it comes to learning completely foreign and frustrating skills.

I don't know if it will help, but a loop of thick cord can hold hold a classical guitar in position up high better than you may expect

It was my go to strap over high school for nylon classical
Edit: I litterally just made one from a scrap of rope I had lying around, works great

A long strip of leather would be ideal, but this works well enough to wander around my house doing finger style

Jestery fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 16, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

X-posting from the bass thread

Well she's strung up with trimmer line that is stretching out, and I need to Install the piezo

She verks though!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Helianthus Annuus posted:

weight of the anti-ergonomic instrument?

Without stepping on the scale, it feels similar to an acoustic bass

And yes ergonomics kinda leave a little to be desired, but the trimmer line strings take zero pressure to feet compared to my actual double bass so swings and roundabouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

drat dawg those are nice guitars.

Thanks man, took a few weeks in my down time in the shop