Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

landgrabber posted:

bold of you to assume a transsexual who comes from poverty will ever have gently caress you money

we exist and get our epiphones run through the plek, i am here to tell you.

well maybe not gently caress you money but "buying an epiphone sg modern figured and getting it run through the plek and setup will not impact my ability to keep a roof overhead and food in the fridge", at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

I don't appreciate the Melvins erasure happening here. Dissonance is beauty.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

When I was first learning bass, on a short scale, I could not do the things with my fingers and left hand placement that were being asked of me. Through practice, building up the muscles and tendons, it became second nature to me and perhaps even Easy.

It is not a natural thing for a hand to do and you have to do work to get the hands used to doing it.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

field balm posted:

"Real Emo" only consists of the dc Emotional Hardcore scene and the late 90's Screamo scene. What is known by "Midwest Emo" is nothing but Alternative Rock with questionable real emo influence. When people try to argue that bands like My Chemical Romance are not real emo, while saying that Sunny Day Real Estate is, I can't help not to cringe because they are just as fake emo as My Chemical Romance (plus the pretentiousness).

Real emo sounds ENERGETIC, POWERFUL and somewhat HATEFUL. Fake emo is weak, self pity and a failed attempt to direct energy and emotion into music.

Some examples of REAL EMO are Pg 99, Rites of Spring, Cap n Jazz (the only real emo band from the midwest scene) and Loma Prieta.

Some examples of FAKE EMO are American Football, My Chemical Romance and Mineral

EMO BELONGS TO HARDCORE
NOT TO INDIE, POP PUNK, ALT ROCK OR ANY OTHER MAINSTREAM GENRE

Very Normal Posting.

Jets To Brazil came from Jawbreaker, right? Midwest Emo Is Fake is a weird hill to die on.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Logic has been by far the easiest DAW to use for just plugging in and going, with their built in cabs/DI split/pedalboard stuff. The auto-drummer is handy too!

I spent hundreds on plugins for Ableton that don't even come close to what Logic just has out of the box.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

I am in the process of putting together all the parts to build a Jazzmaster and was curious about the thread's opinions on offset guitar bridges. I hear good things about the StayTrem and the Mastery but it's hard to wade through New Gear Enjoyers Content vs actual advice.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Can anyone ID the guitar Ragana use? It's been the same guitar for 5 years and used by both members, tons of live footage. Kind of looks like a Mosrite with the angled neck humbucker, but it's not right against the fretboard.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Lots of great recs so far but also going to put forward Thou, Ragana, and of course Earth as well.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it's just like how sometimes you're like "I was really craving some leafy greens"
that's because your body knows what it needs, and it wants those vitamins

if you crave guitars, it's because you need them

Can't argue with that logic :shrug:

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Considering getting a Tele in Shell Pink, and saw my options are Squier Paranormal Offset and $spendy.

How cursed is an offset Tele, and what kind of problems would I encounter with regard to setup/QA?

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Verman posted:

Two solutions.

Touch.

Coated strings.

Those are really the only two.

I mean "moisturize your hands" will solve the underlying issue.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

I built a tele for someone recently and it's been a blast to play before I deliver it. Gotta make sure everything is just right, of course. The Lollar Special T pickups are really gorgeous.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

duodenum posted:

Actually, the thread's advice was to buy a Rat.

Two months ago I had 0 rats and now I have at least 4 :shobon:

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

If you're into offset guitars, repair, etc, Mike Adams has a cool and good channel.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Elissimpark posted:

Look at the amp brand.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

MJP posted:

When you hold a guitar, the elbow of your dominant hand is doing a lot of work. It is keeping the guitar stable by holding it close to your body at a comfortable point which allows you to pick with the dominant hand and fret with the off-hand.

Do you not play with a strap? I never have to think about how I'm holding the instrument at all.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Buschmaki posted:

SGs are super god-tier though, agreed

I kind of hate my Epi SG Modern from a year or two ago. The neck dive sucks a lot but mostly the humbuckers are just so hot they're unusable with dirt pedals. Or even on their own with preamp gain up at all.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

MJP posted:

Existing tuners, yeah, but this is for a brand new headstock. It's got the 10mm holes for the tuners themselves but no wood screws drilled in for the tuners. Seems like the UMP is the only solution I've seen so far but maybe I'm lousy at navigating the manufacturers' options.

Modern Fender tuners use a two-pin system and no screws. Kluson makes great replacements to those specs. Only style I know of that doesn't require screws. You could probably use a centering punch to make the pin divots? Then no drilling!

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

hit it with a hammer

I've built two telecasters and now a jazzmaster this year already and I am so tired of hammering things into guitars.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

mewse posted:

did you have protruding frets as well?

No, string ferrules and bridge thimbles were the only things being malleted in.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

I bought a 2021 LP Classic today and it’s cool as hell. Guitars are so fun.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Having too much fun playing it, I’ll make sure she’s tidied up and take good photos this weekend.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ethanol posted:

I declare this tube liberated from the metal junkies

I thought the metal one was the G20?

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ethanol posted:

slim taper neck on LP only. then the neck is wonderful imo. too many go for the 50s neck that gibson makes that more than anything else. also I do find lp pretty comfortable as long as they are around 8.5 lb or lighter. that excludes a shitload of them

My LP has a fantastic slim taper neck but weighs as much as my 5 string bass. This doesn’t bother me because I play sitting, with it on my left leg, and with the strap on.

The biggest thing for me in getting used to it was right arm placement so the binding wouldn’t be cutting off circulation :science:

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

The slim 60s Gibson neck was probably the nicest neck I've played, thin enough to play quickly but with chunk to make me feel confident.

I really think this describes that neck shape perfectly, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Just tune down to C# or so, should cover Enough.