Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hell yeah, new thread smell.

Anyhow, just wanted to chime in that about 10 months ago, I renovated some of my guitars with help from this thread after not having used them for about 12 years or more. I fell in love with a style of playing that I didn't know before (open tuning, hold chord with left hand, tap melody with right hand) and I'm perpetually just not quite in the right mood to record some pieces. And I fell in love with a cheap-rear end Squier Bullet Mustang, which is the most fun I've had in a guitar, for less than 200 bucks. So thanks y'all for encouraging me to re-discover an old passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just a quick check: the intonation on the surprisingly nicer Squier Mustang I bought last year is off on the low E. With simple fixed bridges like this I can just take a screwdriver and pull on the bridge a little yes?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Major Operation posted:

It's the one from this post? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341553&userid=222973&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post518681644

We would call that a "hardtail" bridge, not a "fixed" bridge. The alternative on a Fender electric guitar would be a "tremolo" bridge (which is really vibrato, but Fender have mixed those two up since the beginning), like a 60s Mustang, Stratocaster, or Jazzmaster.

Acoustic guitars have fixed bridges, where the strings ride over a single piece of bone as a saddle that you can't easily adjust with a screwdriver.

There should be adjustment screws on the back plate (looks like they will be under the ball end of the string).

This video from Phillip McKnight shows him adjusting intonation on a Strat. Even though it is a tremolo bridge the process is the same because it has the same 6 movable saddles. (You probably don't need step 1 from the video, but a Mustang is 24-inch scale).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn3Zl-4IGsg&t=78s

Based on that picture from last year I would guess low E plays sharp at the 12 fret. You would want to loosen that string, turn the adjustment screw to the right (tighten), a half or full turn at a time, to move the saddle toward the bridge, then tune it back up and check open and at 12 again. Ideally do a final check playing the string while the guitar is in playing position. On some guitars the weight of the neck can pull a string a little bit sharp when it is laying flat vs held upright.

e:f;b

Thanks to both of you! It's good to know that it seems to be as straightforward as hoped. Last year I spent hours on setting up an Ibanez with a locking tremolo bridge so this is a pleasant change.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bernth, the Austrian shredder / teacher, has a new track out. It's pretty sweet. The solo and lead guitars are played and arranged very modern, i.e. in that playful post-math-rock style many younger players have now. I really dig it.

The track also caught me off guard because he's basically singing about what I've been feeling since my dad got sick and later died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hgRirnPejA