Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
E/N moment: I've had a pinched nerve in my neck for nearly a month that has caused a lot of pain in my left arm and shoulder, meaning I haven't been able to play guitar or bass :gonk:

Meaningful thread contribution:
The OP goes a bit into modelers with the Katana and Mustang Micro, but it's also worth mentioning that the mid-range modeling boxes (HX Stomp, Pod Go, GX-100, GT-1000 Core, I guess Headrush MX5 and the various Nux/Mooer models) are an excellent option, especially if you're an apartment dweller. Quality-wise, this generation of modelers is like 95% of the way there (or more!) for recreating real amp tones, with the bonus of including a ton of high quality effects and silent recording capabilities. I've been using the HX Stomp for over a year and it's pretty much the best gear purchase I've ever made, and I'm sure other goons can talk about other modelers. I'm by no means an expert on IRs, but I'm very happy with the ones I've bought from York Audio - they're basically drag and drop, with no need for EQing.

Also, avoid guitar forums unless you have a specific question that has been answered/can be answered there, or you're posting in threads where manufacturers participate (i.e. Helix threads on The Gear Page) - it's a good way to avoid compulsive spending. This thread and I guess some subreddits are your best resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Shankel Magnus posted:

Does anyone have any similar easy songs that I could maybe add to the list?

Also thanks to the Goon that said you can get Fedex to spiral bound your books for $7. That's a game changer!

A few of my easier go-tos:
  • The Strokes - The Modern Age
  • Bloc Party - Banquet
  • Blink 182 - Dammit
  • Interpol - Slow Hands

Generally the post-punk stuff from the early-00's isn't too tough to play and not particularly high tempo, and thankfully it's one of my favorite genres so that's a bonus!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BonHair posted:

The main case against modellers for me of the complexity. You have basically infinite options, and then you get to the cab sim. Whereas on my Orange bass amp, i have volume, bass, middle, treble, blend and distortion, all with helpful pictograms. I'm never gonna get the perfect tone from it, but I can get something good pretty quickly. On my THR10IIW, I can connect to the app and do a million things, but honestly, I don't really care, I just dial it to high gain or lead or clean, maybe some chorus and reverb and that's good enough.

I still think you can get every possible sound out of a modeller if you fiddle enough with it, but I definitely get the appeal of just plugging in, turning it up and getting your face and eardrums melted.

Yeah, it's easy to get overwhelmed, and a lot of people think they have to use every possible bit of DSP on their patches. That's basically the raison d'etre for the simpler amp sim boxes like Iridium and Simplifier, and they do sound great; I actually bought an Iridium as my first silent practice solution, but sold it because its headphone output was too weak and noisy and bought an HX Stomp instead. I definitely tried to do too much with my earlier patches, but I've been way happier since I started using just an amp and cab (or amp and IR) with a dab of room reverb, and maybe an OD pedal.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm far from the best/most sophisticated player, but as an apartment dweller, the HX Stomp is one of the best purchases I've ever made, especially since I also play bass. It's also reasonably cheap used or on discount - I bought mine for $450 new when Prymaxe had a 25% off coupon.

Other guitar forums are also full of praise for modelers from the Chinese companies like Nux, but I ended up going with HX just due to their extensive history of providing updates and adding new amps/effects. Fractal is very well regarded too, so you can't go wrong with either.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Not to encourage GAS, but this is a sensational deal if anyone is looking

https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/classic-vibe-50s-stratocaster/0374005500.html

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you can wait until Black Friday, NeuralDSP usually puts their plugins on sale for 50% off. They let you demo all of them for 2 weeks, so maybe start playing with them now and decide which one you want to buy

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Plank Walker posted:

Question re: DAW amp sims etc, would it be worth buying like Bias FX or a Neural DSP sim or saving that money and selling my old Line 6 Spider II to upgrade to a Katana or newer modelling amp and running that into my PC? Pros are I would have the amp and related sounds available for offline playing as well, cons are it's a bit more expensive and probably not as good maybe?

I know next to nothing about playing through the PC except I used the Rocksmith cable for about a week with the trial license for BiasFX and Reaper and it sounded nicer than my current amp.

Maybe consider a modeling unit, like the HX Stomp or the myriad Mooer/Nux/etc offerings? I love my HX just to plug in and play, and also bought the discounted Helix Native plugin in case I feel compelled to plug into my computer.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Helix Native is half off for black friday, making it $50 for Helix/HX unit owners:

https://shop.line6.com/software/?utm_source=shophomepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=wbsSSS

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, I think ultimately you can get the same quality from either with a good set of IRs - Neural will sound terrific out of the box, while Helix's default patches are crap but the software gives you a looooot more options.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, the Native VST is the exact same interface as the editor, just with the ability to add as many effect blocks as your computer can handle. There's also a mode to limit effect blocks to those available on the Stomp, in case you want to design patches that work on both.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

havelock posted:

It turns out helix native has a 15 day trial, too, so I downloaded it and played with it. It sounds nice and feels pretty responsive (and the UI is very straightforward), but my main issue is that there's too much. The presets and amps and effects all have cutesy names (which I get is for trademark reasons or whatever) but it's pretty hard to know what is what. It really needs tagging or a hierarchy or something (like Arturia does with pigments or even guitar rig does by style or amp or whatever). There are a ton of effects in there, including some nice pitch things, but I get the feeling there's tons of overlap there, too. I'd rather have one super adjustable delay than 10 delays (x2 since they have both mono and stereo) with largely overlapping features and sounds.

I think if I went with Native I'd open it up to fiddle with designing effects chains and sounds, rather than opening it up to play and be inspired. The neural stuff feels a little more immediate that way - the limitations become the strength.

I'm also likely going to be doing this inside bitwig, so with the exception of the pitch shifting stuff I think I can easily put most of the other stuff together with in built bitwig stuff if I need it.

I'll likely end up picking up Gojira and Cory Wong from Neural, so that means Neural ends up cheaper for me, too. (Bitwig has a nice Blur device that I can use with the easy Stereo input toggle in Neural to effectively add the Doubler to these two archetypes that don't ship with one like say Petrucci does).

I'm glad I tried all this stuff out - the space has really changed since I last checked in on it and there's lots of fun to be had.

Awesome, glad you found what works for you! There's really no wrong answer these days (except outright dated and overpriced stuff like Guitar Rig). Agreed that Helix is definitely overwhelming - I usually create patches just like I would set up an effect and amp chain, but people are doing some crazy stuff with it. Helix Help is a really useful resource to decipher all of the amps and effects: https://helixhelp.com/models

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
As someone who is also newly flush with Christmas cash, do you all have any recommendations on gear for setting up guitars (and a bass, too)? My local guy does a great job, but I live in an expensive part of the country and two guitars and a bass add up, so perhaps it's best if I learn to do it myself. So far, I have one of those combo string winders/cutters and a Leatherman, but not much else in the way of tools.

edit: for chair chat, I have a stool from a furniture store that is meant to be a side table, but I definitely use it more for practice

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 4, 2023

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Frazzbo posted:

OK, I am calling upon the wisdom of the pickers and strummers here. As a complete newb to amp simulators and all that mullarkey, what do I require in order to make the transition from plugging my guitar into an amp to plugging it into my laptop? Please give me a breakdown of all the necessary bits of kit, plus any recommendations that you might have. Muchos gracias in advance!

FWIW, make sure to check if any of your current gear has an audio interface built in - something like a multi-FX box (HX Stomp, Boss GT-100), micro amp (Mustang Micro, Nux Mighty Plug), or even a synthesizer (Elektron boxes) can have a built-in interface. It probably won't be as good as a dedicated box, but it's good enough to start off with!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you want to split the price difference between the 112 and 612, consider one of the Squier Classic Vibe guitars, which are terrific instruments that should last you forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone in the thread had periods of time where they have struggled with motivation to play? Let alone practise.

What resolved that? Or maybe it’s nothing to worry about?

I’m currently in that a bit but I’m hoping it’s mostly down to my teacher taking an extended break of a few months. Sorry if this is all a bit e/n.

I've been going through this; I suffered a pinched nerve in mid-2022 and didn't play for ages, and ended up getting into piano instead in 2023. I did start practicing again this past November, but then life (personal and work travel) got in the way, and now I moved in with my girlfriend a month and a half ago and still haven't set up my practice space. It's just really tough to get over the initial hump, but you have to learn to be kind with yourself instead of fretting about it.