Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hi, I've been taking lessons for a few months on a Martin HD-28 inherited from my late FIL. We've also got a smaller Alvarez acoustic of some sort I play around on, plus a couple electrics I haven't touched (a Gibson Les Paul that was his favorite electric, and something else that's living in the basement I need to check out). It's fun, so I wanted to say hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So my FIL passed not quite a year ago, shortly after my wife's birthday, of a protracted, terminal psychological illness. I'm not really fully sure of the details since he was well into it by the time my wife and I met, but the final decline was quite rapid. My understanding is he was quite an accomplished musician in his day (even had a record deal that "didn't go well"), and started building and selling pro audio production gear at some point - his client list included some pretty well-known musicians (I want to say Blues Traveler and Cheryl Crow have been mentioned, and he had a story about Timbaland calling the house to buy a microphone or something). I do wish I had gotten to know him better, but my wife says that just wasn't really possible in the time we've been together.

Anyway, she and her sister split up his guitars - SIL got his favorite acoustic and wife got his favorite electric, plus three more and a mandolin (which I did not take a pic of).

Gibson Les Paul (no clue about year or anything):

Alvarez:

Martin HD-28:

Rickenbacker 360:

I didn't even know what the Rickenbacker was. It got taken down to the basement before I got a chance to look when she first brought it home and this was my first time seeing what it was!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muike posted:

Deluxe with thumb bleeders, but grover tuners? What a cool guitar. That Rick is cool as hell too

I opened the case and thought "why is this living in a case in the basement?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I looked up the HD28's serial number and it's from 1977. 70s would match one of the year ranges that works for the LP's serial number, so that makes sense (the others were like 1993, 2003, or 2013, and that didn't make much sense to me).

Wife said there's more guitars at her mom's house if we want them, too

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 27, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hooked up and played around with the Les Paul a bit and that is a good sounding guitar.

Don't tell my wife.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally hosed around the with the Rickebacker a bit. It needs some work - the pickup switch won't stay in the up position, one of the tuners seems stuck or something, and it was way the heck out of tune and didn't seem to want to stay in the little bit I messed around with it since who knows when it was last played. The neck feels really thick just based on holding a handful of guitars, so I see why people don't love them. Not sure I want to keep playing on that one so I don't know if it's worth putting the money for a setup into it at the moment since we're going to be moving in the near future. Wife did say she has a spreadsheet of all of her dad's gear and there's a couple strats on it so I'm going to try to get one of those next time we make it back to her mom's house, but who knows when that will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've noodled on the LP a bit and yeah I don't think I like that thing at all. I like the Rickenbacker a lot more but I blew a string so I need to deal with that. (I've decided to just get a full setup done on it since who knows when it last had any sort of maintenance.)