Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Tonight I did my first full 1hr practice session since catching Covid-19. During the last two weeks I either skipped or did like 10 minutes of chromatic exercises just to do something. The fatigue is real be careful out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Looking at Firefly again. There a blue LP with a maple top and gold hardware that I think I might pull the trigger on just because I think it looks cool.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I ordered the firefly LP that I thought looked cool. I hope I like it!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Unrelated but kinda related, I'm abroad with no guitar and Bernth's videos are helping keep me sane, can't wait to try some of these with a guitar in hand as I haven't watched his stuff in a while.

I actually subbed to his Patreon and I'm on day 20 of his 30 day alternate picking workouts. I'm nowhere near approaching shred speed, but I feel like my technique has gotten much cleaner. I actually don't think I care about getting to shred speed, I'd just like to get to whatever speed regular, non shred players need, and be clean. When I'm done with this, I'm sure I'll do another of his 30 day courses. Probably the learn the fretboard one he has.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

landgrabber posted:

get "pretty good" at shred speed and then you'll be great at normal speed

Can't argue with that logic!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've learned Looks that Kill and I'm learning Kickstart My Heart and as much as I hate to admit it, Mötley Crüe songs are fun to play.

Edit: lol I accidentally posted this in a Star Trek thread first whoops. Browser tabs are a poster's worst enemy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hate that they play in D standard

Oh, yeah, I just pitch shift the audio track up two semi tones in Audacity. Yeah the voice sounds a little high but, eh, it's still sound fine for playing along.

I decided not to try to learn that one because I don't think I could hit those harmonics fast enough.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 27, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I saw a youtube video about a website lalal.ai that lets you upload audio tracks and remove certain instruments. I don't know how much it's really "AI" and how much it's just very sophisticated software, using AI as a buzzword. Anyways, I used it to take out the guitar track for Looks that Kill and practicing along with the bass, drum, and vocal where I'm the only guitar is a very different feel and pretty cool. I'll probably try to edit back in the guitars for the solo, since I've only learned (and at this point am only capable of playing) the rhythm part. It's a neat practice tool, though. The separation is not perfect, but it's surprisingly good.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

I have news for you on all "AI"

Haha, yeah. I mean I don't really know what separates the one from the other. I'm not a tech guy. I guess this webpage and like, DallE use some form of "machine learning" which is also a thing that I don't truly know the definition of. But these websites don't have any kind of sentience. So whatever. I like hosed up procgen images and text and this website is a cool new practice tool for me but none of those are going to like take over the government like in a sci fi movie.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My Firefly LP is supposed to get delivered today but I'll be out of the house most of the day. Like the one day I'm not home all day lol.

Edit: My meeting got postponed an hour and my delivery guy came earlier than expected, so I had a chance to play with my new toy. I like it a lot. :)

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 29, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Huxley posted:

Every time I want to complain about guitar prices, I have to remind myself how cheap they are relative to basically every other professional-quality instrument.

My wife is a pianist.

In the house we have a digital piano which is more or less good enough and it was $600 used. But boy oh boy can the prices on acoustic pianos be insane

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 2, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Guitar related e/n

Man, I'm sorry to hear how the thing went in May. I'm glad to hear you're doing better now, and it sounds like you're rocking the new project. If I may ask, why go for 10s in standard if there's a worry about your endurance/strength? Wouldn't 9s or even 8s help keep the tension down, if that's a concern?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sometimes I feel pretty basic because guitar is like, the most popular and common instrument. And I will never be "good" at it in the traditional sense. I'm getting better at simply enjoying it without worrying if I'm good enough at it. Perhaps paradoxically, this mindset seems to be improving my progress. I'm not saying I'm always in that better mind-state but like, it's just a hobby it doesn't matter. At least for me. Reminding myself of that helps.

I will check out that Art and Fear book, though. I added it to my Audible cart, which already held a Star Trek audiobook narrated by Shatner so we'll have to see which wins out for my attention first.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I went from "eh, I'm too tired to practice today" to "OK I'll do 10 minutes just to keep the habit going" but then when I sat down I ended up going for like 40 minutes.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I was using big stubby picks because I originally bought them for bass. But Bernth said smaller picks are better for faster playing so I tried to buy Jazz IIIs but the guitar store doesn't have them. I got Ernie Ball Prodigy picks instead and they're about the same size as the stubby, but I can hold it anywhere. The stubby has like, an indent for your thumb and also would start to rotate around in my hand because of that. I'm pretty happy with the Prodigies for now, even if they didn't make me instantly 50bpm faster.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I know it's just a cheap knock off guitar but man I am really loving my firefly lp. I like that it's big and heavy and has a thick neck and it's fun to play. And also it's blue. The blue was the main reason I bought it.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 12, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

high five, post pictures of the new axe.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nice! Congrats goon.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone here do any kind of foot drumming while they're playing guitar? It's something I want to play around with. I just ordered a cheap drum brain and some piezo triggers to put something together or try and fail at putting something together

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

curried lamb of God posted:

Other guitar forums are also full of praise for modelers from the Chinese companies like Nux

I have the NUX Amp Academy. It doesn't really do a lot of effects, but it does amp modeling with impulse responses. I bought it for practice, but usually I just use my amplug instead because its slightly less fuss. To my ears the NUX sounds pretty good and if I was in a situation of plugging directly into a PA I'd happily use it. If you already have a pedal board of effects you like and you just want something for recording or not having to carry an amp around it's well worth the $189 or whatever I paid for it IMO.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm gonna try building a pedal board. I don't have that many pedals. All the ones I have are Behringer or NUX. Anyways pedal boards are expensive. Buying all the wood, a miter box, clamps, glue, and screws is still a significant savings over buying a pedal board here.

Edit: I'm twice LG's age and many of my friends in high school looooooved Weezer. I wasn't into it but it was like, THE band among the like, artsy theater kids. I'm pretty sure there's at least one logo tattoo among that clique. I was more into KoRn. lol.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 3, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I like Beato videos and I like les pauls.

I am 40.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, is there an ear training app that will just play intervals a couple times, wait a second, then tell you what they are? The idea is so you can do ear training and you just listen and try to answer along with it while you are working or driving or something. Every ear training app I've seen requires some amount of interaction. If not, I reckon it would be a really good idea. I could make some sound files from guitar pro and a text to speech program to mix up in a playlist. I'm just curious if it's already a solved issue.

The functional ear trainer app does have a hand free mode. It's not interval training exactly, though.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pondex posted:

There's a Harley Benton LP doublecut JR that's supposed to be really good. And cheap too.

https://harleybenton.com/product/dc-junior-faded-cherry/

I know you weren't writing to me, but

HMMMM that looks pretty good to me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I practiced an hour today without having done that for a few weeks and now my forearms are sore

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I ordered a pignose amp does that make me a boomer

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Aight cool. Since I'm working on learning blues and I'm literally a lawyer I was afraid of fitting into too many blueslawyer stereotypes.

The electricity in my house isn't grounded so I need an amp I can run on batteries. Otherwise it either hums or I can feel current running through the guitar strings.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PuffinUp posted:

I just can’t see liking weezer anymore past high school, give it a few years LG and you’ll move on like everyone else did.

I don't understand why anyone likes music I don't like. Only the music I like is the correct music. Now let's all agree I'm right and listen to Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass together.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My Pignose arrived today, I now officially have an amp. I have only played it clean(ish) so far. I'm too afraid to crank the volume enough for real breakup. But that's fine, I'm working on trying to learn fingerstyle stuff so that works out to be clean. It's cool to have an amp other than a headphone amp.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have two electric guitars, one acoustic guitar, and two short scale basses. I don't think I need much of anything else as far as guitars are concerned.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The stain on my DIY pedalboard is currently curing, I should be able to bring it in the house and slap some velcro on there on Monday. What kind of pedals should I get? I currently own the following pedals:

Ibanez Chromatic Tuner
Behringer Noise Gate
Behringer Digital Reverb
Behringer Tube Screamer

I'm thinking the donner Rat clone (Dark Mouse) and I dunno, like a chorus or something? I never really used pedals
before.

Edit: I'm limiting myself to dirt cheap. Just like, what categories of pedals are needed for a basic kind of board for a very basic and lovely rock rhythm guitar player?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Can't practice right now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I said come in! posted:

What is this guitar pedal with fur all over it? It looks like a great fuzz pedal.

Let me tell you, it really howls sometimes.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I never tried to learn sweep picking, I never felt like my regular picking was fast enough to try to learn these kinds of specual speed trucks. Also I don't think Tony Iommi really ever did sweep picking on the first four Black Sabbath records so like why would I bother with it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

gently caress FEDEX.

Pictured: The FedEx guy to your guitar:

Pictured: You to the FedEx guy when you find him.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

At first I shared a picture of the pedalboard I built but I'm deleting that post because seeing a photograph of the area under my desk is forcing me to confront how filthy I am. I'll share another picture when I'm not a filth golem. This will likely never happen

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Agreed posted:

They don't, famous wrestlers have broken their necks and spines or broken the necks and spines of the person they were working with while doing similar moves...Stone cold had his neck badly hosed up by Owen Hart with a tombstone where Owen Hart sat down rather than dropping to his knees, putting all the impact on Austin's head.

"I knew this poo poo wasn't fake!"

Yeah I agree with Agreed. Getting dropped on your head is never going to be all the way safe. I've been a fan for decades and I still can't fully figure out the clip I posted - nobody is grievously injured even though it looks like they should be from that one. Usually when someone takes a brainbuster (the move in that clip) they turn and land primarily on their own shoulders at the last moment. Anyways, that clip has become my default reaction gif for anything I find infuriating, such as FedEx destroying a brand new guitar.

Just a few years before Owen broke Austin's neck, Austin broke Chono's neck with the exact same sit out tombstone.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 4, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GuitarPro can definitely turn tab into notation. I don't know about the other way around, although I'd be pretty shocked if it couldn't do that.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah I don't think I'll ever touch a Gibson for real. I'll just psych myself into thinking I need it. I should get a set up on my firefly but honestly I enjoy playing it just as it came out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Man, the thumb around the neck F chord is so much harder than the regular bar chord. I guess it's kinda necessary to learn this version if I want to be able to finger pick melodies but gosh is it frustrating.