Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hey, a new guitar thread! Hi everybody I also like guitars, and guitar related things. Well thread it's been good catching up!

Re: the Quad Cortex, it's definitely interesting to me since Neural does some drat fine amp modeling and I've recently got into loopers, picked up an EHX 720 and an EHX Grand Canyon to learn what I want to do with them and have some cool stuff to play around with. But in the end I am intimidated by the price of the Quad Cortex even though this PC I built to be able to run among other things good rear end amp sims definitely cost a lot more than a Quad Cortex, but then it's a lot more functional when not just doing guitar stuff too. I dunno, I guess it's not out of line for high end modeler prices. I just - I mean speaking personally here - if I'm going to lay out $2k for a guitar thing, it's probably going to be an amp, since the technology to model them does indeed march forward all the time but can be run on computers quite well and then you can support those with independent hardware purchases that make sense in other contexts also like nice audio interfaces, whereas the amps themselves are the thing that the tech is trying to model. In a few years I'll be able to get a new and better model (and, likely, modeler hardware will have improved also, with more powerful DSP processors etc.), but the thing itself will be as great as it was day one.

(As a counterpoint, though, I've got like 5 or 6 FV-1 based pedals on my board - that's just a less powerful digital signal processor, and while I found as good of deals as I could, that's still partly down the road toward one of the mighty all-in-one units like the AxeFX or Quad Cortex with a lot more processing power that could arguably also offer and more flexibility - maybe on the latter, at least they get kinda weird with the spin pedals these days, but certainly not as powerful. I think at a certain point it's almost an aesthetic choice to prefer pedals and not necessarily about wisdom!)

I'm really wanting this Mesa Rectifier Maverick 4x10 that's in a local shop, in great shape, and it costs like half the price of a Quad Cortex. But it's only one sound, etc., etc., not trying to rehash any old arguments - I'm a huge fan of modeling tech and it's been my go-to for recording and working on my tracks since 2008, just noting my personal feelings & priorities I guess. I can certainly see why musicians who value having the ability to do a bunch of different sounds live with minimal hassle would favor a nice modeling rig.

If you do In-The-Box recording/playing and want to get a bunch of quality amp models at a good price right now, Igor Nembrini is having a big sale at his shop https://www.nembriniaudio.com/ and the sale prices seem to stack with a "Plugin70" coupon that gets the price per model down to about as low as the best deals on Plugin Alliance amp sims back before they got bought out by Franciso Partners and made into part of this "Soundwide" venture. I think that Nembrini's sims are on average really nice, with some particular standouts like his MRH159 (brown sound modded Plexi), Voice DC30 (interesting '80s AC30 model), and his recent Hiwatt and Bassman sims. He also just did a Dumble ODS model that I quite like. He's been at modeling for a long time professionally, I really dig his work.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Dr. F, great Van Halen style clips man! I'll try to get some recorded tones from the MRH159 tomorrow to give you an idea of how well I can dial it in for that kind of sound - it's my go-to hotrodded Plexi sim, but I don't actually use it primarily for doing Van Halen style stuff typically. I will try for this though. Your setup sounds very nice man :) I've always loved the idea of an AxeFX but as the years since they were introduced have gone on I get FOMO for what the next one will bring - it's kinda silly, at any point owning one would have been some stellar sound quality for the time, he's always had a good grasp of the fundamentals you have to get right to get a great signal into the processor and great quality DSP.

On the "can't tell into a modeler, can tell into a tube amp" thing in my opinion some of that is classic cork-sniffing, buuuut I did play a Boss GT-1 today that really did homogenize the sound a lot and made a cheap Jackson with whatever pickups they use in the factory making those sound about the same as an expensive ESP with good pickups. That's low-power COSM modeling, running on 4 AA batteries, relying on compression and pretty heavy effects and using, well, frankly mostly lower quality amp sims though. More sophisticated modelers with appropriate input circuitry absolutely do show the differences in the ways guitars sound just fine. I feel mildly obligated to bring up that youtuber who has gone to extensive lengths to examine what makes music gear sound how they do here but nonetheless, different guitars' electronics absolutely are well represented and play a huge role in the sound you'll get from good modeling just as if you were using a real amp.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 11, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I dunno, "sounds just fine" is generous - it's more like with really smudged glasses you probably couldn't tell the difference between an original painting or a badly compressed JPEG of that painting, or if you've got really bad speakers / earbuds / whatever a 64-92kbps mp3 and the CD it was ripped from may be hard to distinguish. Now I might be cork sniffing, but take that same guitar comparison and put them into one of the real Mesa/Boogie amps sitting there and that homogeneity is gone. The lower quality sim kinda just sucks the tone, and if you have any experience with better tech or real amps it's pretty dang obvious. Not to say of course that there isn't room for a GT-1 to be used creatively, or that its limitations mean that playing is a waste of time or whatever, quite the contrary IMO.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Rat is one of the few I don't actually have a version of. I liked them into Marshalls a lot, great sound when I tried that in other folks' rigs or in a store, but never owned a Marshall and never owned a Rat as a result.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Sounds like a job for a luthier. Truss rod adjustments may need to be made at the same time as other action adjustments even assuming it's not issues with the frets themselves. Guitars being made out of wood can be subject to significant influence from seasonal temperature and humidity changes, and some investment in keeping them in good shape if you are not skilled at doing all the necessary things is to be expected.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Why the gently caress didn't I have an SG before yesterday? SGs own

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

SGs are a body shape that makes we want to play the gnarliest poo poo I can, but then the neck profile feels off or three headstock dives or something makes me sigh and put it back.

I worry about that too, but if I'm holding it ain't no way it's diving on me :clint: Dealt with a headstock-heavy explorer-style for some time, I'm trained.

I feel like over time I've become almost without preference regarding necks. I got thin and thick profiles now, and I love 'em all, each just feels like That Guitar to me.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Felt too tired to play after getting my kids to bed but I played anyway and I'm glad I did. Got into a real creative flow. I'm gonna record some of what I am working on tonight over the weekend :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

LG that is rough and I hope you get it somewhere that makes you feel happier with it soon. I have definitely been in the position of feeling regret for an attempted DIY fix, even fairly recently. In related news I would not recommend using nail polish as a method of finish repair as some luthiers will actually hang up on you when you mention it once you are trying to get someone to unfuck your gently caress (but you might find one eventually who is cool about it, and does not begrudge a dumbass for dumbassery, thank goodness)

On the positive side I did make a new luthier pal who is real good at fixing guitar poo poo in general and I'm sending my guitars to him in a gradual parade to get them all in good shape now :3: I've been setting up my guitars since the 2000s and never got in my way of recording but he put one in such shape as I have never had any of mine, not even close really, superb intonation and perfect action with great nut alignment and height, frets feel awesome all around - and now I look forward to getting all of 'em like that. Might never have met the dude if I didn't gently caress up fixing a guitar I hosed up keeping in good shape to begin with, sometimes all it takes is a series of fuckups to get on the right track.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 17, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

fuuuuuck I gotta chase a noise problem and troubleshoot my pedal board noooooooo

rebuild it one by one til something starts squealing, this is gonna blow big time

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It all works, there's just a high pitched noise that works its way into anything with gain. Not, like, expected "white noise that increases in audibility as gain is applied," rather distinct high pitched tones that are obnoxious at lower gain and ruinous at higher gain. Just showed up after making some changes that should not have caused any problems, but undoing those changes doesn't seem to fix it. Ooooh yeaaaahh!!!

And an NS-2 doesn't help, actually it becomes its own dramatically squealing noise source. The pitch changes as pedals are engaged. Power? Could be, got some daisy chains going on, going to have to troubleshoot that. Cables? Could be, maybe there's a ground issue happening, going to have to troubleshoot that. Impedance relationships between pedals? Who knows, gonna find out though. Going back to nothing then putting them in one by one until the bad thing happens, and then going from there to try to figure out a solution.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 18, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Definitely possible, might have had one fail moving stuff on and off. If it is internal to a pedal though gonna be trial and error to find it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I wouldn't use superglue for that, might damage the wood next time it needs to be removed and nuts don't last forever.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I agree with Gramps - the nut barely needs held on if installed correctly. I had a guitar with an unglued nut for a while, never gave me trouble when strung and I change strings one at a time unless I'm oiling the fretboard so it was rarely disturbed.

On my noise issue, rebuilding my board is going well so far, getting some stuff moved to better spots in my chain and making sure the squealing is absent as I go. Building within the NS-2 loop and checking it bypassed and activated along the way. My god drat Morley switchless wah has a thump when it engages - I thought the switchless optical circuitry and buffer were supposed to prevent that but NO. However it is pretty low signal level, only noticeable when amplified by high gain really, so now it's in the NS-2 loop first to keep it from bothering me.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Lumpy posted:

that's why you only use two little drops.

Better to use something else water soluble and still also use very little. Superglue isn't a good choice there.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Guess that Dan Erlewine must not know what he's doing then.

Do whatever you want to your guitars, man. I think it's a swell idea not to damage the wood under the nut for no reason. Maybe that doesn't happen with a really super small amount, but I'm not personally going to be finding out.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 19, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

After watching that video it seems pretty clear to me that Dan is a smart fella, and I'm taking a break from rebuilding my pedal board to get rid of noise and had a minute. Turns out Google Books has his 1994 guitar repair guide "Guitar Player Repair Guide." Here's what he wrote there, page 224:

quote:

"If the final fitting meets your approval, glue the nut into place using a couple light dabs of hide glue or white glue. I don't use super glue here, because its instant setting time won't allow you to move the nut from side to side when lining it up."

Lumpy, does that clear the air? Are we cool on the topic of nut glues now? Use what you prefer, in the end, if you've had good luck with superglue that's cool man but I'm gonna keep not using it personally.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

^^^^ check it out, it's a bass cock

Rebuild killed the squeals! Nice and quiet in my pedals prior to the amp. I was able to rearrange them to get things to flow better as far as stacking goes, way cleaner as far as routing cables and power now. I was able to simplify the power situation and reduce the number of power supplies in use while fixing the noise! :holy:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That's all I could ever ask, thank you Lumpy, thank you

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 19, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I got one of those little Rat 2 with the glow-in-the-dark RAT logo, made in China, and its screws do not prevent it from velcroing to my board. Do you have a different model with taller screws or something? I've only had it since the weekend and yet it is my favorite pedal to boost my already distorted amp with now, though on its own I don't prefer its distortion tone it is dynamite for taking my amp's gain channel over the top while keeping it articulate.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

duodenum posted:

Open C for Devin Townsend stuff.

GOD drat RIGHT

I miss my old Devy avatars, this guitar I don't even have anymore is bullshit

Here's some work I commissioned from an artificial artist

I am just about done bringing my guitars to this luthier, holy poo poo they're all like whole new instruments now, it's :krad:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 22, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I think that pedal sounds like rear end personally, but that doesn't mean it's useless if you just need to really substantially change the sound of your electric into something more acoustic-like. To me there are no rules about how to do your thing musically, you can play whatever you want on whatever you've got and that's fine. I can see why some might feel this or that song sounds better on an electric or an acoustic, though, they certainly have different sounds. Why play it on a guitar instead of a cello? Why one of those instead of a piano? (etc.) 'Cause that's how you like it, how it is in your head, how you wanna do it (or just what you own and are competent to play!).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Took my first guitar, an MIM strat from the early 2000s, to my luthier to get a lot of work done on it. Electronics were a mess, bridge pickup had failed (SD JB Jr. came unglued from its housing, wedged the windings tight against the corner of it and tore a bunch of them, wouldn't make sound correctly anymore), frets troubled after having it for 16+ years of playing, actually it had never had any attention from a professional apart from a nut installation in 2007. Action was a mess, trem bridge never worked right, input jack was problematic since 2008, neck had some play in the pocket and was put in with drywall screws, ... I could go on. He looked it over and asked me how tf I was playing it :lol: The last bits of work had to wait on shipping after I ordered a Lace Hot Gold 13.2k for the bridge, to go with the Lace Red in the middle and Lace Blue in the neck, but it came in yesterday and he got it all back together today.

I can't get enough of this guy's work! Laundry list of issues all fixed... Now its electronics working right for the first time since I replaced the pickups myself as the first things I ever soldered, that was fun back in the day but I had the bridge in backwards and some of the others had grounding issues, haha. He took care of the frets, replaced the bridge pickup and fixed the rest of the wiring, cut a perfect block for the bridge, cleaned the guitar up for me, and gave it a proper setup. Ho-ly poo poo.

I played it for like four hours straight tonight, couldn't put it down. This was my main guitar early on, my only guitar for some of my college years (did get an Agile Ghost II a couple years in if I remember right that I still have, which is in my first post in this thread and which will be heading to him as the only guitar I have that hasn't yet had his work on it, finally time for it to get some love too!) - it's AWESOME to have my strat back in good shape, looking better than its looked in years and playing better than when it was new, better than I ever got it. I might replace the neck on it with a 22-fret some time this year. It sounds so much better than how I had it configured.

Pals, I thought I knew how to set up a guitar's action, relief, and intonation. I mean I recorded a lot of tracks over the years with my own DIY work on guitars. But gently caress me, what a difference, never again - I'll pay this dude every single time I need work as long as he's in the game and within driving distance.

That said, I might get a cheap project guitar to go back to basics and figure out how to do this stuff better - I'd love to get closer to being able to set them up this well myself if I can.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 28, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I think I have one in E standard, two in D Standard, one in drop C (sometimes put that one in a Devy-esque open C), and two in drop D. I just like the way a guitar sounds a little lower than the usual tuning, and I often write in C or D.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 30, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

My main guitars are tuned in E standard, D standard, C standard, drop C, and a seven string in B standard/drop A. C standard is my favorite. Not sure why but it feels like it hits that sweet spot of heaviness and playability.

I love the way C Standard sounds acoustically but I don't always like how it sounds recorded on 24.75-25.5" scale guitars, maybe I'm still using strings that aren't thick enough for those tunings (tend to bottom out at 10-52, some in 10-48) - I'd love to get a baritone to keep that low, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I think it's neat, reminds me a bit of older Weezer

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Had a good find today pals! A hosed up ESP LTD MH-400, cracked to poo poo where the neck meets the body. It's a South Korea model, so made at the WMI factory like my Schecter, my Wylde Odin (which I think is kinda subcontracted under Schecter's logistics), and my Agile. Two days ago it was $500, then gravity rose up like a mean mother fucker and sucked it violently to the floor from its hanging stand, causing the aforementioned crack as well as unseating the lower frets something fierce. The pawn shop felt this tragedy was enough to reduce its value to $99.

I got in touch with my luthier about if it was repairable, and he said he probably could... Thing is I don't want an ESP LTD MH-400, I just want its EMG 85/81 set since those usually go for more than $120 as a pair used and that often has some shipping on top, versus $200 new. But when my guy saw the pics, he offered to trade me the labor to yank the pickups and convert one of my guitars with passives over to those for the husk that will be the guitar once the electronics are yoinked - he aims to make it a project, practice fixing that kind of crack on it and get it into better shape than it ever was.

I'm all in on that offer, going to put 'em in my SGj to help it accommodate the lower tuning and thicker strings I have on it (the stock '61 Zebras aren't terrible pickups, but they aren't my sound - a vintagey PAF is not the right choice for what I'm doing with it). $99 altogether for a passive to active conversion and an 85/81 set, hell yeah.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Chromatics posted:

it's a great choice of model with a wide variety of sounds available to you. as lg mentioned, I would avoid the lower end squire affinity stuff and go for a squire classic vibe, or then any of the fenders. one thing you may want to be aware of is if they advertise the pickups as "noiseless." i don't like the "noiseless" single coils because i'm pretty sure they are actually humbuckers just in a single coil shaped. none of this really matters but a strat classically has single coil pickups as part of its signature sound

I know they're kind of out of favor these days but I still quite like some of the Lace Sensor pickups. My strat has Blue in the neck, Red in the middle, and I recently installed a Hot Gold 13.2k in the bridge and I love the way that guitar sounds. They are more like "very low noise" more than truly noiseless. They are technically still single coil, but designed very differently. Some find them compressed sounding but I really like the way these particular ones sound in these positions for the things I like to play.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It's cool, I actually would like to form a ska band with you now that I know you are serious about your particular trumpet

You could also teach me how to play a trumpet, which as I understand it from expertise gleaned from hearsay in these recent posts, would allow you to write off that trumpet. :kiddo:

then I could bring the freaks out to the floor whenever I wanted...

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 2, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Noooooo the 81 in the bridge of that cheap hosed up ESP turns out to be broken, one pin snapped the gently caress off at the base where it meets the epoxy. The other two are badly bent but salvageable, easy enough to solder leads, problem is that one broken to the base is a REAL ISSUE, he's gonna try to chip into the epoxy enough to solder a lead to it and we'll see how that works out but there's a real possibility it could gently caress the thing up. (Edit: It broke in half immediately, split the cover too. RIP hosed up EMG 81)

Also the wiring for that guitar is gonna need to be different for my SG, long story short after buying a used 81 in good condition and a 4-pot wiring kit I'm now up to like $210 into this job so now instead of getting a screaming good deal of sweet EMGs in my SG for $99, I'm just getting a regular deal (well, better since my tech is doing it and I'm not having to pay the labor cost, but if I DIY'd it, no savings) :negative:

mamas don't let your kiddos grow up to be guitarists who buy pawn shop guitars with visions of yoinking their electronics, you never know how hosed up something at a pawn shop is just looking and in this case the drat switch was mechanically hosed up and shorted so that it only selected the neck pickup no matter what position you put it in - I thought I had tested the bridge but it was just playing the neck the whole time, noooooo

I'm committed, though, that god drat SG is going to have god drat EMGs in it and that's THAT

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 3, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

landgrabber posted:

every time i post about adventures in music theory or composition on guitar or something, no one responds. at least gear stuff is easy to understand

hey I listened and said your clip reminded me of weezer, I'm some one gosh darn it

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I say practice how you want in ways that help you develop as the kind of player you want to be. If that's with a shitload of effects, radical, just try not to get lost in ineffective practice of staying stuck in a non-developing pattern of repetition (not to say, don't rehearse, especially for performance or for getting a recording right it's crucial to rehearse, it's just different than trying to get better at playing in general).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Be not deflated, it is ok for learning a new thing to be challenging & the road paved with failure. It is glorious in fact, you are alive and if you keep at this you will learn much and become powerful as the gods. Lightning will shoot from your fingertips!!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

I am intrigued. Though I haven't practiced regularly in several years, because I want to wait until I have a better horn before I start practicing again.

I need a job so I can make money to buy an instrument, but I also go to the gym 4 days a week, and I have this home improvement project I'm working on that's eating up a big chunk of my days and it keeps getting longer and more expensive the more work I do on it, and there's just not enough hours in the day for me to do all the stuff I wanna do right now and it's driving me insane. Doesn't help that I have ADHD and takes me longer than anyone else to do pretty much anything and I can't ever seem to get fast enough no matter what I do.

Keep a positive mental attitude, and I have no doubt that your trumpet playing will be sublime once more! :haw:

Seriously though your dedication is admirable, I am getting my gym membership back soon after ditching it last year when I got COVID after going back for one week. Man gently caress I can't live in fear of this god drat stupid virus forever, I need the iron!! Don't get me wrong, I've been getting stronger at home with handstand pushups, lots of decline pushups, pullups, and kettle bell work - I added a 48KG a couple months ago and holy poo poo - but I miss the cardio and I've gained like 10lb this summer because after I lift all that crap I get really hungry, I'm JUST BULKING OK, but I used to balance the weight lifting with high intensity cardio and longer bike sessions and the lack of balance there is affecting my fuckin' figure, friends

Do not sweat ADHD, I'm a fellow ADHDer and it's ok to be yourself and have a bunch of projects juggling at once and and what was I going to post again?

Edit: I rejoined my gym TODAY and I'm going RIGHT NOW thanks to your inspiration! God I hope I don't get covid again

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 5, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I hope you have a blast Dr. F, and that your hand doesn't trouble you! Don't sweat how poo poo went down, that's not your fault man. I'm sorry they were pricks about it. Don't let it weigh on you, just do your thing and enjoy it.

Re: Katana, I like a Katana every time I plug into one to test some pedal I shouldn't be buying at Guitar Center (I have too many (it's happening again)), I think they did a really nice job on those

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 6, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, if your hand is suffering with 10s using lighter strings would make a lot of sense.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I've had my hand get crampy when I was first learning new skills, and indeed playing through it (on the scale of weeks, not, like, that night, which might have actually hurt the tendons etc. to keep pushing past failure on such intricate structure) and building strength made the things that used to be impossible not just possible but "sit there and do it for an hour no problem" level doable eventually.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I used to feel really self-conscious about it all but then I put years and years and years into it and got pretty good, now I feel confident enough to try my best and enjoy it when an audience likes what I did. That's a good feeling and a nice payoff for the many times I worried that I was just making people's ears hurt. That said it sounds like maybe you could talk to somebody (therapist, maybe? therapy has really helped me in my life when I was struggling with various mental blocks and issues!) because you shouldn't feel such a pressure on yourself or like you should not do what you want where you want to, especially in your own spaces or spaces into which you have been invited.

You're valid, and your creativity is valid - the universe itself vibrates always, and it welcomes you and awaits your movements to pluck sound from things that can't make it on their own and thus also to give meaning and purposeful movement to what was only silent air moments before. It is good to create, and sing our songs, make our noises - we are noisy and wonderful and the music is such a beautiful part of what it is to be human, partake my friend.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

N95 masks are great, and pretty affordable on Amazon now. I paid like $35-40 a box of 10 at the worst of the supply crunch during the pandemic, and sometimes went without them, but now you can get registered ones that are $10 a box and good brand ones for $10-$15 depending. I've done two hour gym workouts hitting everything hard in 'em now, and always wear them when I'm out playing. "Alienating," I mean, gently caress the behavior of the crowd, you can't find virtue in a crowd but you can find the pandemic there, if you want to be safer that's totally fine, do it. Nevertheless you can still connect, talk to people anyway. I've never had anyone make a deal out of it and I talk to a lot of people when I'm out and about, I enjoy socializing and the mask is just there, no big deal. If someone gets curious I tell them the truth - my wife and I got COVID back in Delta when she was pregnant with my youngest kid, and he had to have oxygen when he was born, so I while I still try to live my life as normally as I can I take good precautions. Never had anyone be a dick about it, personally, but I'm also not trying to talk to, like, assholes with Trump Won 2020 stickers on their giant trucks or whatever.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Usually active pickups are really low noise, and aren't even grounded the same way to the guitar's hardware as passives. However I only have experience with Jackson actives and EMGs, maybe those are weird? ... I really don't know, if my poo poo were acting up like that I'd take it to my tech after I figured out what I could. Seems unlikely it'd be innate to the pickups themselves because that'd mean you managed to get two bum actives at once, which though possible seems unlikely, so I'd suspect something downstream or how they're wired in is problematic. I've had cables become radio receivers in cases where a pedal's electronics or an instrument jack wasn't grounded properly, maybe something like that?