Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Shankel Magnus posted:

Thanks for these ideas too. I was playing around with Dammit and I think that song is aptly named. None of the parts of the main riff are that difficult but my brain just keeps wanting to switch things up and play the wrong part at the wrong time. I'm playing it so slowly it's starting to sound like a country song and my brain keeps switching things around. I'll get it eventually though. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZgk7IRNUyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

landgrabber posted:

unrelated to anything: thinking lately that i would really enjoy a lavender colored fender

My favorite guitar is a squier cv60s strat in burgundy mist, which is basically lavender. I got it as a musicians friend stupid deal because everyone was afraid of the purple or something.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Elissimpark posted:

I can't remember if I've shared this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U423WJ-Nqeo

I like the song and I dig her minimalist bluesy style.

But more than anything, I love that guitar. Its a Schorr 'The Future', from a dude in Berlin, I believe. He does these beautiful art deco-y guitars that often have pick-ups on slide rails, so you can move them back and forth.

I really like seeing someone do something interesting with a guitar.

Wow thanks for sharing. Cool guitar, cool music

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

zenguitarman posted:

Playing and singing is a whole different animal and I don't know how anybody does it, especially when it involves more complicated stuff like finger picking and fills.

It's just practice. When I was starting for the first time I cut down the guitar parts to downbeats (or even the first note of each measure) and then gradually added stuff back in once each bit felt solid. At some point it clicks and you can generally do it for arbitrary things. I struggle when there are weird interactions between the vocal and guitar rhythms and have to practice those specifically (Exit Music (for a film) is my kryptonite here), but learning to play and sing the first song is drastically harder than anything after that.

It also helps to really know the guitar part - it's not quite playing on autopilot, but it can't require your full concentration or else you'll have nothing left to think about words.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

The Fear posted:

I stopped listening to gnr when I got into slayer and friends but my guitar teacher has me learning November Rain and it's nice. slash is p good imho

November Rain and Estranged are both fun to play (or hack away at), though neither my guitar nor my fingers have enough sustain in them to really hit what's going on.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Instead I've really been lusting for a reverend double agent

If I ever spend more than squier prices on a guitar (still very unlikely), this or a similar reverend is what I'd probably get.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Disco Pope posted:

I might be off base, but I think in a lot of ways, LG would really dig The Beths.

They do crunchy power-pop, but all come from jazz school muso backgrounds, so they're rife with neat harmony and song structure stuff and have a cool girl singer who plays a G&L Fallout reissue (and a lead guitarist who plays a gold top Les Paul w/o being your dad's best friend). I'm thinking of asking my teacher to help me work on one of their songs next.

https://youtu.be/CkzI93Aqztk

That's a fun song and video - thanks for sharing

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Finally - a polyphia song I can play as well as they can

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

managed to snag this at a price I could justify (goodbye to my dear schecter PT to make room for it)

it's feels like someone took all the things I love and made a guitar just for me

Nice
I've never had a chance to play one, but I've always kinda wanted one.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

fuf posted:

I'm the idiot who bought Rocksmith+ and tried to enjoy it. I failed but a side effect is that I have my guitar hooked up to my PC for the first time in ages.

Does anyone have any fun software recommendations for the following?

1. Cool tones!
2. MP3 playback with speed and pitch shifting!
3. Tabs!!

My fallback for the above three is:
1. Guitar rig demo that runs for 30 minutes and then has to restart
2. Winamp with the pacemaker plugin (the same solution I was using literally 20 years ago)
3. Google

folks there must be a better way

Neural dsp is about to start their black friday sale and their amp sims are supposed to be really good. I don't have any but I'm thinking about picking one up. I just use an old guitar rig 5 light version that came with my first interface.

I just use ultimate guitar or whatever for tabs, though if you have the older rocksmith you can also find custom dlc for that.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

Question re: DAW amp sims etc, would it be worth buying like Bias FX or a Neural DSP sim or saving that money and selling my old Line 6 Spider II to upgrade to a Katana or newer modelling amp and running that into my PC? Pros are I would have the amp and related sounds available for offline playing as well, cons are it's a bit more expensive and probably not as good maybe?

I know next to nothing about playing through the PC except I used the Rocksmith cable for about a week with the trial license for BiasFX and Reaper and it sounded nicer than my current amp.

I'm thinking this will come down to what you really want to do more than any inherent tech limitations. Personally, I'm not terribly picky about chasing a very specific tone - I just like some variety occasionally. I have a trademark 30 amp for playing without a computer (it's a solid state analogue modeling type thing...plus I have a vox ac4tv) and then use stuff on my computer (guitar rig 5 le) when I want to record anything. Theoretically I could hook all my pedals up and run them into my interface if I wanted to do that, too, but I haven't really felt the urge to.

I'm sure the modeling in the katana is at least a little better than the spider, but is it good enough to go through the hassle? Likewise, you can get amp sims for your computer for $100 or less - guitar rig is half off right now, too.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Nueral dsp stuff is on sale finally. I picked up gojira and Tim Henson and both absolutely loving rule

I think I found out using my helix I am not a tone seeker I just want sounds that wail and these absolutely do with very little effort.

I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm not really sure which. I have guitar rig 5 le or whatever the teaser version is, which seems to do fine for the basics. Gojira seems to cover lots of missing ground, plus the effects seem pretty useful and nice.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Gojira spoke to me with the all the crunch sounds. People say Petrucci is the most versatile if you're only going to get one. It was my early favorite before I demoed Gojira

I grabbed the demos of both and have spent just a little time with them. The Petrucci cleans definitely get cleaner, but the Gojira crunch / hi gain stuff sounded better to me.

I'll probably try out Tim Henson, too, before deciding.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

havelock posted:

I grabbed the demos of both and have spent just a little time with them. The Petrucci cleans definitely get cleaner, but the Gojira crunch / hi gain stuff sounded better to me.

I'll probably try out Tim Henson, too, before deciding.

Ha. Henson didn't grab me but both Nolly and Cory Wong sounded good, too. Cpu usage seemed pretty high with most of them though.

Edit: landgrabber - I don't have personal experience here but a close friend with mom ptsd recommends Shadow Daughter by Harriet Brown and Daughter Detox by Peg Streep. They have some biotruthy crap in them apparently but my friend is queer (though not trans) and still found them valuable.

havelock fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 19, 2022

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Weird - I don't have that issue at all. I was worried at first when I started them up because they defaulted to Windows Audio but once I set them to ASIO with my focusrite driver they were fine.

I have a hard time believing that 3ms is perceptible, honestly. Are you sure something else isn't going on?

I tried even more free trials and my favorite so far is actually Rabea, which no one else seems to recommend as the first plugin. Cleans were nice, crunch sounded good, I really like the Doubler (though I think I can fake it within my daw with a delay and turing on Stereo in in Neural), and the effects were versatile. Also there's that bonkers mono synth thing which was fun, though unlikely to be used regularly. The reverb doesn't have a shimmer, but there's a preset that uses the mono synth to add delayed octave up stuff which sounds similar and interesting.

Plini sounded good but was pretty limited pedal wise.

Gojira's high gain stuff is great, but the cleans are pretty limited.

Petrucci was nice all around (plus the Doubler), but didn't grab me as much.

Cory Wong sounds great clean and has some good crunch, too. It might be neck and neck with Rabea for me.

These all sound better than Guitar Rig 5.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

landgrabber posted:

ok but i don't know anything about how to position my fingers and stuff like that for playing those lines.

like it's the sort of knowledge where learning music is hard and i'm reluctant to write it -- like i need to know fingerings and positionings and stuff so as not to develop bad technique and screw myself later

If you have a PC, I've found Rocksmith pretty helpful for this. It's not ear training at all, but it's a bunch of tabs of a huge variety of songs that you can play along to. It shows finger positioning as well and most of it seems pretty accurate.

Barring that, if you find an artist specific tab site they will often give you extra details about which fingers are used for what. You can also watch live performances to get an idea.

Also, I think you're overly concerned about the risks here. If you find a position that lets you play something and you like how it sounds, I think that's good. It seems like you've asked the dual of a really popular question which is "how do I break out of the scale/pentatonic box when writing my leads/solos?". Feel good that you aren't in that box. If you feel like sliding up to move up the scale, do it. If you feel like moving up a string, do that. Since you know the instrument and are presumably going to try and play what you write, you aren't going to compose something unplayable.

Or just use the silly minor pentatonic box for everything like maybe a majority of popular players do.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

curried lamb of God posted:

Helix Native is half off for black friday, making it $50 for Helix/HX unit owners:

https://shop.line6.com/software/?utm_source=shophomepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=wbsSSS

Wow. Full price of $199 is not that much higher than the 2 neural dsp archetypes I was considering. Does anyone have experience with both?
EDIT: actually I guess it's more like 3-4 neural plugins. internet consensus seems to be neural is easier to dial in quickly but that both are capable. more effects in helix.

havelock fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 21, 2022

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

800peepee51doodoo posted:

For what its worth, I found the Line 6 helix interface to be really user friendly and easy to dial in good tones quickly, at least with the stomp. I haven't tried Helix Native but I assume its similar, just with more options. The Neural plug ins are set up like physical amp rigs, which is pretty nice.

Line 6 also has the Metallurgy series thats set up as stand alone, curated amp+cab+effects type deal which is currently on sale for $100 for all three packs. There's a lot more options for amps and cabs than with the Neural plug ins but its more of a stripped down version of the helix than the specifically crafted archetypes that Neural does. I tried the trial version and its cool but doesn't really do anything my stomp doesn't do better, but figured its worth mentioning as another option.

It turns out helix native has a 15 day trial, too, so I downloaded it and played with it. It sounds nice and feels pretty responsive (and the UI is very straightforward), but my main issue is that there's too much. The presets and amps and effects all have cutesy names (which I get is for trademark reasons or whatever) but it's pretty hard to know what is what. It really needs tagging or a hierarchy or something (like Arturia does with pigments or even guitar rig does by style or amp or whatever). There are a ton of effects in there, including some nice pitch things, but I get the feeling there's tons of overlap there, too. I'd rather have one super adjustable delay than 10 delays (x2 since they have both mono and stereo) with largely overlapping features and sounds.

I think if I went with Native I'd open it up to fiddle with designing effects chains and sounds, rather than opening it up to play and be inspired. The neural stuff feels a little more immediate that way - the limitations become the strength.

I'm also likely going to be doing this inside bitwig, so with the exception of the pitch shifting stuff I think I can easily put most of the other stuff together with in built bitwig stuff if I need it.

I'll likely end up picking up Gojira and Cory Wong from Neural, so that means Neural ends up cheaper for me, too. (Bitwig has a nice Blur device that I can use with the easy Stereo input toggle in Neural to effectively add the Doubler to these two archetypes that don't ship with one like say Petrucci does).

I'm glad I tried all this stuff out - the space has really changed since I last checked in on it and there's lots of fun to be had.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

Pick chat: recently "rediscovered" jazz III picks. When I got my first guitar at age 16 I also got a pack of Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm picks. I liked them enough, but at the time I was like why are these so small everyone else is using bigger picks. Since then I had tried the Big Stubbies a few times and hated them and settled into regular Tortex blues which got the job done.

This summer though I decided to try a bunch of Dunlop variety packs and now I'm fully on the Jazz III wagon, also found an old 2.0mm stubby in my guitar case and realized that they were the same shape. Always thought I had just bought weird picks when I was a noob but it turns out they're good. My preference so far is the OG 2.0mm stubby, or the 1mm Ultex. The nylon ones are ok as well but I can't see myself going back to regular sized picks anytime soon.

Don't sleep on the jazz tone 205s. I tried some of them after they were recommended here and they are my preferred pick now.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I use a herman miller mirra that I bought ages ago and sometimes sit down to play and I never notice the arm rests. I don't regret spending so much on a chair at all.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I've come around on Mayer - didn't like him before for similar reasons to others, but he's just too good a player and writer and genuine when talking about his craft. His singing seems to have improved, too, so it's not so nasally or whatever it was when he first started out. His songs are tons of fun for me to learn and play and they are well written and constructed. It seems like he's done the work.

I get the point about Grohl, too, but I've never found any of Foo Fighters' stuff to be anything beyond competent. Like, yeah, that's a rock song, but one that is completely forgettable the second it stops playing. Everlong is good I guess. That Sonic Highways thing he did was great because it's how I found Ft. Worth Blues. He seems like a cool guy, but I heard Foo Fighters described as "your friend who isn't into music's favorite band" and I think that kinda fits. Inoffensive, competent, forgettable.

Edit: ^^^^ yeah see above

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Had an almost disaster today. Somehow my strap screw was almost completely unscrewed on my baritone. I think the strap locks I have don't rotate freely and must have slowly worked it out over time. Make sure to check your straps and stuff.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Been writing/recording a lot of scratch tracks for what seems to be turning into an EP/album length something or other... very noise rock/ethereal-wave sorta stuff and I am in love with the reverend double agent right now

I haven't really given it it's due before but my god the variety of sounds you can get out of it are really something and it's also just really cozy to sit and jangle with.

Highly recommended for people looking for something different from the standard strat/gibson configurations.

If I could ever bring myself to pay more than Squier prices for a guitar that one is high on my list. Do you have the one with the trem or the OG?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

I love my Breedlove. It's just a basic "dreadnought" shape. Plays like a dream and sounds better than my friends' expensive acoustic collection. It was built in Indonesia.

Don't sleep on Breedlove, play one if you can find one.

This is the brand I ended up with, but I did get lucky on it being a musicians friend stupid deal - mine's a stage concert. I liked it better than the seagulls I played, though those are good, too.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Also I was just at the local music store and played a Taylor a12. Solid top and just under $600 including a bag. It sounded great and played really well.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Gramps posted:

Cory wong is one of the best ones, and if you own a good sounding strat it's the best plugin they make by far. It's insane how good a strat sounds through this plugin. It does everything a strat player would ever need.

I'm not a sophisticated Tones guy or anything, but I really like how my CV60s strat sounds through cory wong. It also sounds great with my baritone. Last sale I ended up buying Cory Wong and Gojira and I've basically everything covered.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Krustic posted:

Ok cool. Probably gonna get a moog.

I have that one - because it was the cheapest I could find I dunno 10 years ago. I don't use it a ton, but it's still working fine.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Someone mentioned I should share video of my playing to see what I’m doing wrong. Here’s a complete loving potato of a recording of some open chords, will take video of barre chords later. Hopes this sheds some light, let me know if you can’t see what I’m doing.

https://youtu.be/pDIkznY_NP8

The only thing I'd change is your thumb. Granted, I learned first in classical style, but the generally accepted way to position your thumb is in the middle ish of the back of the neck, rather than having your hand float free like it is. Straight thumb braced against the back of the neck and then have your other fingers arched / rounded around the neck and pushing straight down onto the frets. You want to guard against gripping the poo poo out of the neck like this, but it's still useful to have something for your other fingers to press against / lightly clamp with. Make sense?

I didn't watch all of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQuHqY83mD0 but Justin is pretty reliable and not too dogmatic.

EDIT: also just to reassure you - slow hunting around for where your fingers go is a totally normal thing that everyone goes through. Pretty soon your fingers will just be snapping mostly into place reflexively. That play chord / slap thigh thing you said you were doing will speed this along. You basically practice holistically moving your hand into the right shape all at once vs precisely placing each finger. Eventually the position gets more and more accurate and faster and faster. Stick with it.

havelock fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 17, 2023

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Problem with that is I have to bend my wrist:

Which is what’s contributing to the wrist pain. Lemme go over the video, maybe it addresses that.

If you want to try the more classical position, don't wrap your thumb around. Keep it mostly straight. Basically a straight line from your elbow, through your mostly unflexed (straight wrist), down your thumb right to the thumb pad that is resting in about the midline of the neck.

Here's an image that shows something like this

Bending your wrist is also partially a function of the angle of the neck relative to the floor and also how high up on your body you have the guitar. You can play with strap height, putting your left foot on a book or something (if you are playing with the guitar resting on your leg), and even just tilting the guitar up.

Stuff is going to hurt some while you're learning and that's normal - using new muscles, building callouses, etc, but you should pay a little attention to joint pain. The way you have your wrist flexed isn't surprising that it is leading to pain and I think you're right to try and find a more comfortable position to play in.

I learned with the classical grip initially but can semi easily switch back and forth between it and a more rock style thumb over grip, depending on what is best for what I'm playing.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

the design is called voronoi stratocaster on printables

I love this.

What does it weigh?
How does it sound?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I think the overriding trait is stagnancy.

Uninterested in gear / genre / techniques / etc that happened after some golden age cut-off. Perhaps even beyond disinterest into disdain for.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

I too have ADHD and if modern day Rocksmith is anything like the console/PC version (which can be had easily for free with a fuckton of user made songs) it is not a good learning tool.

They don't really teach fundamentals well, just how to play Rocksmith well. It doesn't understand when hyperfocus is detrimental and when repetition is annoying. It does not adapt well to how you play, just the binary "did you do this exactly correct or not" for every single note, bend, etc. The practice games on the PC version take forever to restart if you lose and it's infuriating as hell.

If Rocksmith exists in an improved form, go for it, just don't pay too much or expect a serious practice/teaching tool.

If you're going to do rocksmith, get the 2014 version on pc rather than the new one. As mentioned, there's a thriving custom dlc community and you get lots of variety.

I'm not as harsh on it as above, but it's definitely better for quantity time with the instrument rather than quality. It's useful for learning how to play in time, exposing you to patterns/song/chords that you wouldn't otherwise see since the catalog is pretty broad, and sometimes for actually learning how to play stuff. The Riff Repeater thing got better in 2014 but still has problems that make it less than ideal as a practice tool.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I've always used monoprice for music cables, especially for pedals and stuff. I think I have 1 mic cable that is a little janky but everything else has been solid and very reasonably priced.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I went with Gojira and Corey Wong last neural sale and I like them both. Wong is great for cleans and and some crunch / distortion, Gojira handles all the heavier stuff (and can clean up nicely though with not as much variety as you get from Wong).

Try all the demos. If you run out of time or want to demo again later, support is good at reauthorizing you.

I liked the weird synth thing in Rabea as well as some of the effects, but I didn't want to get more than 2.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I can't flamenco for real at all, but if you want a cheap, easier way to start to learn you could get a ukulele. The string spacing is different but you get the nylon feel and I've definitely used it to learn some flamenco esque right hand technique.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

Going to be away from my guitar for a few weeks, but will have access to a ukelele. Anyone got some good suggestions on what to learn? Figure I'll use the time to work on rhythm strumming patterns so when I get back to my guitar I'll be ready to join a ska band.

The Penalty by Beirut

And then elephant gun

And then everything else by them

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

OH MAN I'm super proud of this. I finally got a decent recording of myself playing "Home" by Andrew York. I finished memorizing this piece well over a year ago, and I've been working on polishing it and trying to record a good performance and I finally did it! This is one of the pieces that convinced me to learn classical guitar in the first place, I'm thrilled to be able to play it this well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWFAGXv44A

That's really nice - thanks for sharing

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

Can I ask a small favor of the thread? Someone with a cutaway acoustic, please record an Eb major chord on the 11th fret, in regular E tuning, evenly strummed and then just picking each string. After spending an hour or so at Guitar Center trying a ton of different makes/models/body types, I am beginning to think it may not be a bad case of bitchfinger and maybe it's just that any barre chord that far up the neck sounds kinda muted. Literally anything from a $100 shitpile to a $6700 Gibson had the same thing for me.

I want to hear what it should sound like before I start. No instructions, no lead-ups, just two or three seconds.

I have a cutaway concert sized breedlove with a solid top and the Eb (e shape) at 11 sounds the same to me as other barre chords lower down in volume and fullness.

Here's a clip. Eb at 11 and then a B at 7 to compare

https://voca.ro/1jL0pG2A1GDE

Edit: can you post a vid of your hands and stuff while playing the barre?
I have meaty fingers and have to roll to the side a bit to use the edge a bit closer to my thumb rather than the middle of my pointer to get things to ring out relatively clearly.

Edit 2: also as others have said barres are tough. I avoided them for quite a while early on. You don't actually need them if they cause you pain. I started acoustic learning DMB songs and he never does a full barre. If you have big enough hands there are some fun alternate shapes he uses or you can just do triads, etc.

havelock fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 12, 2024

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Armacham posted:

Look for a concert or a tenor if you can, they are lot more comfortable to play than sopranos imo. I have had good experience with Cordoba and Kala ukuleles.

Kala Tenor was the recommended thing back when we had a ukulele thread - it's how I ended up with one that I'm happy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Nice.
I think I'm still good with Gojira and Wong, but I had fun demoing the Rabea synth stuff last time they had a sale.