Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

swing and a miss, not everything's about you

Shut the gently caress up forever you soft-serve Big Beef City. You loving suck. Just wanted to check in on the guitar thread and you’re still a loving bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Manlove got demodded and posted up in the guitar thread because he can’t afford therapy. He’s so annoying I stopped checking the thread but I thought I’d check back today and he is still taking steaming turds with every post. Anyways I’ll check next year.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They make adapter rings for the 4-hole Fender Wide Range:

https://www.amazon.com/Humbucker-Regular-Uncovered-Adapter-PRA-B-H2/dp/B078GYSTWN/

edit: this is to adapt a regular humbucker to a wide range route but the reverse must exist as well or this ring may be able to be used with your pickguard provided there is enough space in the right to fit it.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 5, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

zelah posted:

Pot question. Internet says you’re a fool to pair a humbucker with a 250k pot. Is it really a make or break thing or just people being dramatic? I’m wondering if I can just get the neck pickup installed now and then change the pots if needed later.

It looks like I could also just get a 500k volume pot installed and then add a cap to the bridge pickup and it’ll act like a 250k there but the humbucker will get its 500k?

Does that make sense?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hums are already a lot darker than single coils, the lower the resistance on the pot the darker it will make everything on that circuit. I'd either go for the higher value or maybe split the diff with something like a 330k.

This is true most of the time except with special cases. Filtertrons, any Lace humbucker and the Fender Wide Range all use 250k stock and all are humbuckers. They all have a much, well, wider range to their resonant peaks (which are also much higher than "normal" PAF-style humbuckers) and thus they are much brighter pickups despite hum-cancellation.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

darkwasthenight posted:

Wide Range should be 1M pots, same as offsets. The reissues, until recently, have been a) just PAFs in fat cases and b) using 500k pots so sound nothing like them. Way more of a difference than the magnet comp that people go on about.

The CV Starcaster, for some reason, uses 500 vol 250 tone and is super dark even though they aren't proper WRs.

Oooh interesting, I thought just the opposite for them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What is your goal with “pairing a single coil and a humbucker?” Sorry it isnt clear to me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There’s all kinds of wind/magnet combos for single coils and humbuckers that sound pretty different from one another. Unless you want to try everything, which is cool too, you probably want to have a vague notion of a sound in your head that you hope to achieve and then see what fits that situation.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

luchadornado posted:

Tele bridge good, PAF neck good. Try something that scratches both itches because life is short and you can't take your money with you.

My dude sounds like you got it figured out. That is an awesome combination. I either like that or a filtertron neck because I am a land of contrasts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Are we starting an LG string fund or what?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pondex posted:

Dang, are we all so broke we need to crowdfund a pack of strings?

😢 yes

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

See, if they were bass strings you wouldn’t ever change them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wanted that Pacific Peach Strat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Disco Pope posted:

Big reason why I got mine - her, Iain Mackaye and Wipers.

What are you, me? Sames especially Greg Sage. The Norlin-era natural finish SG that Ian plays is my favorite SG.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

duodenum posted:

Actually oxblood is the correct answer.

Hell yeah pimp 😎

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anyone who finds a PAF too dark in the neck of a Tele needs to meet my friend Filtertron.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

I ever go the custom shop route I'll be going for the proper Blue Floral to replace the $30 GFS closeout bodied one I have now.

With a 60s Fender Coronado pickup made by DeArmond. I do wonder if they could match the 5.5lbs of this one

Wow that looks really close the Kay Tissue Box pickup that DeArmond made for Kay. Very cool.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thumposaurus posted:

The OG 60's ones were actually done with wallpaper hence the fade to cover up the edges.

There's some builders still seeking out NOS wallpaper to build new ones.

I went down this rabbit hole once and, near as anyone can tell, nobody knows who designed and or manufactured the original pattern. It is part of a style of wallpaper from the time but this pattern is unique. I would love to know.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

Similar, but wound a bit hotter. The Tissue Box ones were closer to the "normal" gold foil DeArmonds of the time but even those vary a bunch.

I've got a stash of Dearmonds

Mustache Gold Foil 7.44K
Toaster - no base 8.0K
Toaster - with base 8.9K
"S" Gold Foil 9.37K
Coronado 9.65K

I've seen a few of the Coronado ones that measured 12K. They pair up really well with a Tele bridge pickup, but you do have to watch out for phase issues. The floral Tele pickups are out of phase and really thin in the middle, but toss in a fuzz and it nails Money for Nothing

:eyepop:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anybody here own a Kiesel? Experiences with them? Fit and finish seems on par with much more expensive stuff and they are beautiful instruments to me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok avoiding Kiesel. Thx y’all.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheMightyBoops posted:

Counterpoint, look at this $500 SG though:

Edit: Why does this not have black pickup covers? I take it back.

bro that's perfection. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don't know if you've already discussed this before but the Epiphone Probucker IIs on aliexpress are legit. They measure out at about 8kOhm, 4.5H and 120pF which is bang-on standard PAF specs.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801254710528.html

They sound great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lungboy posted:

New guitar arrived!

Needed a little work as the control knobs aren't properly centred and one was rubbing against the lacquer while another was twisting as I turned it, but that's all fixed. The tone pot doesn't do very much, particularly to the neck pickup. It's a bit more noticeable on the bridge but not by much. I'll contact Thomann tomorrow and see if that's normal. Otherwise it's great as it's lighter than my Washburn, the smaller scale lets me make stretches i couldn't quite manage before and generally it's a lovely guitar.

They may have installed the wrong cap value. Take a peak at the control cavity: should be 500k pots and 0.047uF cap. If they used a 0.022 it will do what you describe.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lmao all they had to do was not paint the bottom of the bridge. Also that KDH microphonic pickup is hilarious. I don’t even think non-potted pickups are normally that microphonic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We have some Vintage brand guitars at work for testing and they are really good. The Les Paul is better than most Les Pauls I’ve played.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Whether they be active pickups or not a tone control is just a simple lowpass RC filter that can be used the same way on anything. Thomann loving sucks Jesus.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just put wheel weights in your control cavity. Bing bong so simple.

Also lmao a guitar design that requires you to put wheel weights in its control cavity so that, in between songs, it doesn’t dive into the floor and snap he own headstock off because that is also a poo poo design.

P.S. SG is my favorite type of guitar 😭

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My Norlin LP Custom had a volute wtf Gibson.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I knew Thomann makes even Sweetwater look a bit small time but holy poo poo:

That said Sweetwater cups your balls and makes you breakfast and they still do $700m+ annually. Cmon Thomann!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Huh

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It wasn’t my post so I’m not sure he didn’t post his balls. That is a fair point.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JFC of course

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i love the "gently caress authority" sticker and then open fellation of authoritarians. this from a guy who was so alpha he died from a spider bite (like a dog!).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheMightyBoops posted:

I bought a set of Ali Express Epi humbuckers I’m going to throw in my original first guitar Affinity Strat once I get another 30 bucks for the new pick guard so my kid can mess around with it/so I can put it in weird tunings. I just hope it doesn’t need a refret soon because it looks a little more played than I remember it being.

Curious to know what you think of these pickups. I like them a lot.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

landgrabber posted:

my version of this is frantic research i have to do before listening to any riot grrrl band to make sure they don't hate trans women

oh great terfs in the punk scene.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I keep seeing how Kaia Wilson from Team Dresch, who is now in the Butchies, is pretty TERF-y.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Elissimpark posted:

Sarsippius, ya dummy! Come on now! Say it right! Say it with pleasure!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

New Fender pickups look cool. More interesting to me than the fact they use cunife pole pieces, the grounded* chrome ring blocking 60 cycle hum is a lift from Lace that should work really really well, obviating the need for a dummy coil which I feel tends to not sound so good.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-cunife-cobalt-chrome-pickups-2023

*note the green ground wire undoubtedly connected to the chrome ring in addition to the start and finish wires.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pondex posted:

They def. look cool. Weird that Fender doesn't have anything out about how they sound though. It seems like a no-brainer so send a set to 60 cycle hum/That Pedal Show and similar youtubers.

The ad copy suggests it has a “high-def” sound which is a buzzword that implies that they have a wide range sound like the humbuckers. This is true in the humbucker because of the windings and pole piece layout but in a normal pole piece arrangement I don’t really buy it. Anyhow the claim is more treble and bass with softer mids.

They should just offer all of their regular pickups with a grounded chrome ring to reduce noise. I would want an alnico 2 set with that more than a cunife set.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 19, 2023