Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

To help get this thread back on track (guitars, Steve Vai, and flatulence), did you guys know there is a Devin Townsend podcast where he goes over his experiences with the music business, musicians, writing, and recording music? It's good to listen to while you're buzzing around doing household chores or perhaps :420:.

Here's a few minutes from Ep. 2, talking about the recording of City.

quote:

“ […] the best way to summarize that recording experience was the very last day we were all sitting around in the same room that I had sat around with Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio and T.M. Stevens. Now it was Jed, Gene, Byron, and me and I remember… farting. I just blew a fart and it was very much, in hindsight, me. Kind of in the middle somewhere. Then Jed immediately followed with a fart, and it sounds like Jed. It sounds like a coffee can full of hornets. You know, like somebody’s zipping up a sleeping bag with utter ferocity. Then Byron immediately after farted and it was bigger than mine you know it was a little bit more, little bit more low-end. And then I remember the last one to let it go was Gene and the best way to describe that fart, his drum tech at the time his name was Steve Goode, described it perfectly, it’s like five people farting and two people clapping So at that point I said, “Well, there’s the identity of this.” So from there I took it back to Vancouver and I finished the record myself in my apartment.”

Straight to Cleveland with that, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Alternate tunings are just neat excuses to have another guitar set up for that tuning specifically just in case someone walks in and demands you play Mayonnaise and you don't have time to gently caress with the Floyd Rose.

You will also need another acoustic tuned for The Rain Song and an electric in Open C for Devin Townsend stuff.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dimebag ML Uke
https://www.amazon.com/Dean-UKE-ML-CBK-Ukulele/dp/B01ATNT2X8/

Iceman
https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-Iceman-UICT10-Acoustic-Electric-Ukulele/dp/B07N4JFQLS/

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Mick Mars is sick.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

How exactly does one tell what "comfortable" feels like in a new guitar?

I've thought about picking up guitar for a while now and one of the reasons I haven't yet is because I don't know what to look for in a guitar in terms of how it feels to hold and play. Like I'm a trumpet player; I have a pretty good idea of what to look for comfort-wise when I'm buying a new horn. Not so much in a stringed instrument like a guitar.

The cross section of the neck is something to check for, cradle it and see how it feels in the hand. Shapes are described as D, C, or V usually. A "D" will have more pronounced shoulders than a C, and a V will have a high-ish spot in the middle. Some necks have shapes that change from the 1st fret to the 12th, because you're more likely to be chording at the 1st and shredding at the 12th. Strandbergs have a unique cross section but I've never held one to see the details. Check out the Ibanez Wizard neck. Experiment with chording and fretting notes up and down the neck and compare one neck to another to see what you like best.

The curvature of the fretboard is another thing. Fenders have more curvature than Jacksons, more curvature is supposed to be more comfortable for chording, but isn't so good for shredding. This is probably more important for professionals than for beginners.

SG and Les Paul style guitars hang differently from where a strat style body hangs. The strap attaches to the upper horn of a strat at like the 12th fret and attaches to the body of a les Paul at about the 15th fret, an SG with the strap button behind puts the strap hang point even higher up the neck. The ergonomic implications of this aren't small. I would strap up and wear the candidates and see how it feels to hold and play them standing. Watch out for SGs with neck drop, you might have to hang some truck nuts off the bridge to balance it out.

Strum it unplugged and compare, some guitars feel dead and some feel really acoustically alive.

The finish of the back of the neck too, some guitars have a slippery satin finish and some have a gloss finish that can feel sticky. Personal preference.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have one. It owns. It looks super weird but feels very natural. I can't explain it, its some sort of chaos magick I think. If you haven't seen it already, Strandberg also does a weird squiggly fret shape thing that somehow intonates perfectly all the way up and down the neck. Mine doesn't have this so I've never heard it in person but supposedly its so perfect that it sounds unsettling to some people, like theres no dissonance at all.

I've owned an SG since the late 90s and a few different LPs over the years and the neckdive issue is wildly overblown in my experience. There's a tiny bit if you have a slippery strap and move around a ton but otherwise its a non-issue. I experience about the same amount of neckdive on my Jackson and strat copy. The only guitar I have that absolutely doesn't move at all is the strandberg, which of course doesn't have a head. I don't know though, maybe I've just gotten lucky with the guitars I have or I'm more tolerant of it than other people. It also might be an issue if you sling the guitar super low? I tend to wear mine about mid high.

Those true temperament frets are cool, but I hear if you play with others, everyone needs to have them, or you'll sound awful together.

On the subject of neck dive, my '87 Gibson dove quite a bit, my Epiphone SG Classic doesn't. It definitely depends on the guitar!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

What about the Eart ones on Amazon?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Our guy is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9yswswxCuw

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

i played a used squire bullet tele at the music store, it was nice as hell! i think they wanted $150 for it

I bought a Bullet Strat for $125 (a couple years ago) and it has a slim C unfinished neck with very good fret work. It came only barely set up, so I fine tuned that and it plays just as good as the CV Strat I had, then sold. Even better because it did NOT have the glossy neck like the CV. I bet the Bullet series just has more quality variation, you should go put your hands on the guitar before you buy it. Some probably suck, but the one I tried is great.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

i've heard people say you should practice unamplified so as to not rely on effects / volume as a crutch

I say you should always plug in so you can learn to mute your strings and play cleanly (without a mute between the nut and your first fret).

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Why does Ibanez put the one ferrule out of line with the others? It looks like a mistake, but lots of them are like that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The Rev. Billy G definitely lines 'em up right. I played a Pearly Gates in a friends' guitar (straight into a DSL40) a couple years ago, and it was glorious. Now I'm GAS-sing, thank a lot folks.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

It's cocaine from the floor of Yngwie's stage in the 80's. You're supposed to lick it off and then shred.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

If every guitar is black, then they all match. :black101:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Robert J would have just done the cocaine and stopped asking questions.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dysgenesis posted:

https://imgur.com/a/ICxumKP

Ngl I know gibson quality control is variable so I'm really happy with this. The neck and action are beautiful.

That is fantastic, I love the open pore black finish and the simplicity. Excellent keeper!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I had a trem on a S570 from 2013 or so and after I got it restrung, tuned up, and nut locked, all it ever needed was minor tweaks of the fine tuners down on the bridge. Those fine tuners made tuning so easy, I wish every bridge had them, HT or not.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Oh for sure. Im not unhappy with the stock IRs, I just wanted to try some different cab sims for funsies.

[edited out URL]

Here's a small sample of some York Audio IRs. When you buy an IR pack, you get a very large selection of microphones and mic placements and a selection of mic mixes they thought were good. This zip has 7 IRs to try, mix #1 from their Matchless 2x12, Orange V30 4x12, Friedman 4x12, Mesa OS 4x12, and 3 different Marshall 4x12s. I think York does great stuff, and it's not terribly expensive. https://www.yorkaudio.co/shop

edit: these are 48k for Line 6 (and Fractal, and others). In the packs they also give you 44.1k and 96k to cover most or all of your IR loaders out there.

edit2: removed URL because the guy has demo IRs on his site that he intends for this purpose.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 30, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Hell yes, that’s almost a Sister Rosetta SG.

edit: Proaudiostar has a couple nice things for cheap.

Squire CV 60’s strat candy apple red $280
https://www.proaudiostar.com/squier-classic-vibe-60s-stratocaster-candy-apple-red-w-laurel-fingerboard.html

CV 50’s Butterscotch Tele $280
https://www.proaudiostar.com/squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde-w-maple-fingerboard.html

duodenum fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 1, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

It’s better to be a blueslawyer than a weezenial or what ever the gently caress.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

can’t disagree

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

lg you should take that RAT you love (we all love it) and feed it a boost or a fuzz, little bits at a time, and see how hairy it gets. Feed it an octave fuzz (french toast!) or an EQ if you're looking for something specific that you'd like to dial in specifically. The RAT is a great platform for craziness fore and aft. It's got all the sauce you need, just add some spice before or after.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

sorry to the thread for the sweep picking poo poo and pretentiousness

my life sucks right now, and i'm very stressed and kinda going through it. browsed the forums at the wrong time

I'm sorry also for my acerbic responses and references to you over benign musical opinions, drunkposting is my problem and I am working on it.

Keep kicking rear end, lg. Don't sleep on that Boss Katana though.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Squire CV 50’s Tele for two and a half bills.
https://www.proaudiostar.com/used-squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde-w-maple-fingerboard.html

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

look at all you boomers, you should be ashamed of yourselves

edit: I do love my LP Studio with Thornbuckers, but I love the LTD EC-256 more ergonomically, and if I were buying today I'd get an Epiphone "Inspired by" Les Paul or maybe a PRS Tremonti or if I were a dentist maybe a Washburn Parallaxe Single Cut.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 13, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

You should probably try a few more JS32 Rhoads Vs because I've played a few (King Vs and Rhoads Vs) and they are pretty consistently great value for the money.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

muike posted:

is there a helix thread?

The 3.5 hype is huge, makes me want to get a Stomp.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

there's a Sunn Model T model now.
also a model of the Life Pedal :black101: and lower DSP usage on IRs so the Stomp might increase a bit in usability for crazy rigs.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

This site was just served to me as an ad and it looks like something convenient and helpful for us below-pro guitar songwriting types.

https://www.chordfiles.com/#guitar

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I keep getting these emails from Proaudiostar with squier contemporary strats for $199 and stingray short scale HS for $199 and even classic vibe 60's strats for like $249 or even $199 and the GAS is loving killing me. hnggggg

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

An EQ sounds like a great idea to kill the high end fizz post-Rat, and at $15 you can get a second one to go in front of the Rat to experiment with boosting or trimming frequencies here and there to see what the Rat does in response.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

homewrecker posted:

Not sure if it would be out of your price range and/overkill when it comes to size and features but what about the Yamaha THR10II Wireless?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/thr-ii/index.html

It's expensive, but I second this for the buy-once-cry-once factor. I had several small battery powered amps and none of them compare to the old craigslist THR10 I picked up. You're more likely to pick up that guitar if it doesn't sound like you're playing a tin can thrown down a well. The THR is simple enough to not encourage you to fiddle with knobs and settings instead of practicing, and sounds good enough to actually make you WANT to practice.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

You guys talking about Yamaha and Ibanez double cuts might check out the Reverend Reeves Gabrels Dirtbike and the Woodrite Warlord.

edit: page snipe so I'll add some images to make the post less of a turd.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 5, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

plumes into RAT.

glorious.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

:flashfap:

For us Boss Katana heavy metal dudes, Lambchopper678 on the youtubes has done a few videos now featuring his work on dialing in various thrash tones on his katana head. Sounds great and kicks rear end.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Actually it stands for "Just Boomers."

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Looks great!

Justin does a whole series on the Katana, good place to begin to learn how to dial in a sound you're looking for.
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/gravity-john-mayer-tsl-kp-101

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Someone is talking poo poo about the 80's in the guitar thread and oh never mind its about the drums who cares about drums

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Quizzlefish posted:

Oh nice. Easy as that eh.

These guys do some good stuff and they just put up a bunch of patches, you can preview them with their YouTube video. They're using the boss tone exchange which I haven't used before but it does look to be free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM9-KWSV8K0

duodenum fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

pocket pool posted:

I have a Firefly LP w/ Probuckers that I have been using along with a Drop pedal to play stoner/doom (~C# Standard).

I want to pick up a weed green Epiphone SG with P90's to do this and just leave it downtuned all the time - should I get it setup for this purpose?

Also, are these guitars good? The reviews I've seen have been fairly positive, but I haven't got hands on one. It seems like it'd be a cool guitar to add to the collection either way.

I have that Inverness Green Epi SG Classic and it is fantastic. I just put on NYXLs and lowered the action when I got it and it's been perfect. The P90s it ships with sound great to me, especially the neck, but I replaced the bridge P90 with a hamburger for heavy metal reasons. I bought it when they were $380, but I haven't looked at what they're up against at their new price point.

Oh, and like 3 days ago Andertons put up a Doom rig video that happens to feature the very guitar we're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGyS3C0t5A