Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

BonHair posted:

The main case against modellers for me of the complexity. You have basically infinite options, and then you get to the cab sim. Whereas on my Orange bass amp, i have volume, bass, middle, treble, blend and distortion, all with helpful pictograms. I'm never gonna get the perfect tone from it, but I can get something good pretty quickly. On my THR10IIW, I can connect to the app and do a million things, but honestly, I don't really care, I just dial it to high gain or lead or clean, maybe some chorus and reverb and that's good enough.

I still think you can get every possible sound out of a modeller if you fiddle enough with it, but I definitely get the appeal of just plugging in, turning it up and getting your face and eardrums melted.

If you really want to paralyze a musician on the fence between the two, tell them that a common practice by people who use orchestral instrument VSTs is to reamp the digitally altered sound and re-record it through different amps and different techniques or use digital instruments to fatten out an analog one. Sky's the limit and you can get nothing done if you don't limit yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

My solution to a bit of fret buzz was to turn up the gain.

I am more of a black tape over an engine warning light kind of guitarist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

I hate when I put off practicing and when I finally do practice I can't believe that I am not doing it 12 hours a day because it's one of the only things in life that brings me happiness. Like, I'll literally get all worked up and stressed out talking myself out of it and then I go do it and it feels like I was a whole-rear end different person before I picked up the instrument. Emotional vs intellectual is a rough battle. I know that playing makes me happy but then emotions get in the way and stop me.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get up early and practice 20-60 minutes in the morning before you do anything else.

Barring that, carve out a chunk of time to make it the first thing you do when you get home from whatever it is you spend your day doing in our capitalist hellworld

Prior to my third covid diagnosis, this was what I used to do- I go to work super early so when I get home at 3 pm, I made 3:30 PM to 6:00 PM my practice time and after dinner was when I composed. Being on rails really really helps with anxiety but it's how you handle it when you get knocked off your schedule that matters.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

The comparison after the new mix had me laughing out loud and going woooooooooooooooooo. I root for Pat Finnerty like other people go nuts for sports teams.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

I didn't know I needed a fretless baritone until I saw the one Samurai Guitarist had made.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

landgrabber posted:

plus, always on the look out for cool punk women to cure the dysphoria.

Two great ones from the 90s:

The ultimate 90s punk vocal goddess- Cinder from the band Tilt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnL6M8kCQ18
Literally a Top 3 for me on both Lookout! and Fat

and Selby Tigers were more garage but pretty fierce:

Selby Tigers' Arzu Gokcen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBrBVUTkM50

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Malaria posted:

Sweeping is dumb and I'm mad I can't even do a lovely Yngwie impression.

This is why I keep a book of Buddy Holly songs handy.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

It's also amazing how often producers in the 80s used session musicians to do the heavy lifting in solos- so what you were hearing wasn't the product of someone dedicated to songcraft as much as ticking off a box. Yeah there were real deal shredders like Yngwie, Vai and Bettencourt who were dedicated to sucking all the musicality out of a composition but for every sentient hairpiece blasting eight hours of arpeggios a day you had a producer bring in Steve Lukather to "punch up" the solo and then teach it to the dudes from White Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

This isn't just unnecessarily hostile, it's actually pretty spectacularly loving stupid.

I agree- "musicality" was the wrong word- i'd replace it with "soul" and I'd say Vinnie Vincent instead of Nuno. I don't know why I get them mixed up. Thanks for giving me the chance to correct myself.