Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
*Plays Stairway*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

landgrabber posted:

said this in the last thread but i much prefer notation to tablature.

sight reading on guitar like on piano doesn't really make much sense, but as far as just learning songs -- notation tells me what the music actually is, whereas tab only tells me "put your fingers here and play what's underneath them".

i guess notation is kind of like, giving someone directions based on street signs and landmarks, and tab is more like turn by turn GPS navigation. maybe the turn-by-turn is better if you're just going to one specific place one time, but learning the street signs and landmarks will help you better understand the place you live. if that makes any sense

now: time to go to guitar center and hope they have fret cleaner so i can sink hours into setting up this instrument so i can practice it again without having a trainwreck occur in my brain whenever i go to hit my B string on the third fret and BOOM sitar note

Why not both? This is the kind of stuff my instructor would give me.