Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

veni veni veni posted:

The tone is just different and feels more surreal.

The music is really, really good and contributes a lot to the tone. Lots of stark piano and strings during the rehearsal segments. It would feel 100% different with generic, happy "bake off"-style music

The show is funny, but the music signals that there's some emotional weight behind what they're doing, and that they're taking it seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The vulture article interviewed some people who were not happy about their NFY experiences at all and honestly some of the allegations there were borderline yikes. NFY always walked a fine line, and even nathan in the article admits not perfectly at that

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Polo-Rican posted:

The music is really, really good and contributes a lot to the tone. Lots of stark piano and strings during the rehearsal segments. It would feel 100% different with generic, happy "bake off"-style music

The show is funny, but the music signals that there's some emotional weight behind what they're doing, and that they're taking it seriously

I really love that Nathan and John Wilson take their subject’s emotions seriously and edit respectfully even when the subject matter is pretty off-center. They could lose good will in a finger snap so it’s remarkable they’ve covered so much weird poo poo without it really ruining anyone’s lives in the way that Amy’s Baking Company was destroyed after Kitchen Nightmares. (That I’ve heard of at least)

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

The vulture article interviewed some people who were not happy about their NFY experiences at all and honestly some of the allegations there were borderline yikes. NFY always walked a fine line, and even nathan in the article admits not perfectly at that

Interesting read and about what I expected, it's also tricky since Nathan is in character as a souless consultant and nails it at times based on the people who I met who were going into consulting. Nice to hear that he and the judge got along at least.

And yeah, How To was really good at walking the line between making fun of people and knowing when to back off. I remember the segment on the puppet guy that was nice, and weird and regular funny until the black puppet came out, but Wilson excused himself rather than ride it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No Mods No Masters posted:

quote:

“It’s all relative to the sound other people make,” Fielder proposed. “If other people are farting a lot, you’ll never feel self-conscious.”

Koman disagreed: “I think all it takes is a pair of shoes to just completely seize up.”

Wilson, peering through thick glasses, nodded. “I feel like some people might wear different shoes in the bathroom just so that when you look under, you don’t know it’s them.”

Fielder clasped his hands together professorially. “Obviously, it’s terrifying to make any noise in a bathroom with other people,” he conceded. “One strategy, if you had to make a sound with your bum, is to spread your cheeks wider to avoid the fart noise.”

:hmmyes:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
First episode is really good. I live right up the street from the Alligator Lounge and go there fairly often, so seeing an exact replica of it was kinda surreal

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
agreed that it isn't as moment to moment funny but my favorite NFY stuff was when like it felt closer to watching a comedy f for fake to me so I am fully on board with this. it was brilliant.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 17, 2022

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

quote:

the mutual disclosure of personal information in a heated pool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode certainly wasn’t as moment-to-moment funny as most NfY eps - which means there were only a shitload of gut-bustingly funny moments instead of an absolute shitload - but it’s also twice as long as most of them and this is only the premiere. I completely expect this season to get a lot wilder as it progresses.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The "I thought you said you were a tv trivia expert?" and Thrifty Boy moments were full-on NFY laughs from me. Same with the reveal that the pool interruption was also staged and the shotgun blanks.

But yeah, it's twice as long so it kinda seems like they kept the same amount of laughs but added some extra pathos and absolute awe at the budget HBO gave them.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
After only one episode, this show is now the only thing I can think about. My brain no longer has room for anything else

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I should travel with a plunger

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

wa27 posted:

Holy poo poo the final scene was amazing

Yeah, I didn't notice the switch (don't phone and tv at the same time) for about the first 15 seconds and wowo. Really amazing poo poo. Nathan is doing the most high concept and prescient show for our time and it's only been one episode.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 17, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

worms butthole guy posted:

I should travel with a plunger

maybe i should invest in them...

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really liked that episode, but I feel like it was a straightforward one to introduce the concept and its going to get really wild and surprising in the coming weeks. Nathan had some real wildcard high concept episodes of Nathan For You that extended the premise to an extreme.

treble
Feb 14, 2001
There was a strong Derren Brown influence in this imo. Nathan channels some of that evil trickster with a heart vibe that Derren shows in stuff like Trick or Treat, and the grand social engineering of The Heist. Loved it!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Some of the funniest poo poo I've seen in a while. There's "push air out of your nose and smile" and there are belly laughs and this is the latter.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Absolutely astonished by how good this was. I wasn't expecting it to be NFY cut with Synecdoche, New York (and even a little bit of Inception). And ending with Pure Imagination was just perfect. I nearly peed myself when he showed how the fake pizza oven worked.

So much of the joy of NFY was the meta story of Nathan Fielder trying to find love and companionship. I hope there's a similar substrate of pathos running underneath The Rehearsal too- so far Nathan seems to be playing this one a little bit more straight.

edit: Also that moment when, in character as Thrifty Boy, Nathan sucked on that ketchup packet lol.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 17, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Jewmanji posted:

So much of the joy of NFY was the meta story of Nathan Fielder trying to find love and companionship. I hope there's a similar substrate of pathos running underneath The Rehearsal too- so far Nathan seems to be playing this one a little bit more straight.

I think you're forgetting about the stuff at the beginning and the end - he's making this show (in character) because people find his personality uncomfortable so he wants to rehearse every interaction so he can get closer to people, and at the end he does another rehearsal scene of his own with Kor's actor, where he chickens out when it comes to the real thing because he's afraid Kor will hate him. So I think that'll definitely be a running part of the show.

He's displaying more personality than his robotic NFY version, yeah, but as far as having that running pathos, it's definitely there. The episode alternated between laughing at Kor and sympathising with him, too, which is something NFY didn't really have because it usually wasn't personal for the people involved with the episode scheme.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

treble posted:

There was a strong Derren Brown influence in this imo. Nathan channels some of that evil trickster with a heart vibe that Derren shows in stuff like Trick or Treat, and the grand social engineering of The Heist. Loved it!

Nathan said Darren is a huge influence on him

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That was pretty drat enjoyable. It had funny moments (that ketchup packet out of nowhere got me), but I just really enjoyed the choreography of it all. Just every little thing set up. All the set recreations, the constant planning. And the ending was perfect, right down to the score. The Willy Wonka analogy that Kor sets up, calling Nathan Willy Wonka, implying he isn't such a great person and that the kids didn't have the absolute best outcomes. The trivia cheating, where Nathan knows Kor has an issue with it, but he does it anyway. Nathan backs out of the trivia confession because of the actors response was just the perfect conclusion. It's a really layered show.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wonder why they named the episode after Kor's drink order

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Pretty sure its a play on the premise of the show. There is no substance to a lot of what they are doing.

Also, I was thinking about the show and I realized all the "bad" things that came out of it. Kor thinks his bathroom sucks. Kor thinks he sucks at shooting (and with the last name skeet too). The trivia announcer gave away all the trivia questions to someone who just wanted an interview. Tricia thinks another blog has taken an interest in her writing. Now they all know, obviously, and I'm sure they got paid. Was Nathan even married for 3 years?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't remember the means, but I remember knowing about the divorce thing even around the time it happened, circa NFY season 2 or whatever. Anyway they even get him to talk about it a bit in the vulture article

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

stromboni posted:

After only one episode, this show is now the only thing I can think about. My brain no longer has room for anything else

Same. Although to be fair, this was also me in 2018 with "Barry," 2019 with "I Think You Should Leave," then "How To with John Wilson" in 2020, where they all wormed their way into my brain and I became desperate to get other people to check them out and talk with them about it.

Echoing everyone else's comments about this being art, surreal and importantly, "laughing very loud" funny at multiple occasions, whether it was what Nathan was doing (walking around with his laptop strapped to him, "Thrifty Boy" sneaking in a ketchup snack), the setups using others (Burj Khalifa construction worker), and sometimes simple shots of the increasingly ridiculous lengths he extended the premise to (full recreation of the bar down to the balloon by the air vent and rips in the old chairs or the humongous flow chart program as he diagrams the potential scenarios).

One thing my wife mentioned that made me think/lol - the white lie about Kor's grandmother dying from "brain cancer or something" to get the rehearsed table from that couple is arguably worse than what he originally felt guilty about.

e: also the faint playing of "Pure Imagination" towards the end, combined with the final cut to the actor playing Kor instead of the guy himself, amazing

sticksy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 17, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

sticksy posted:

One thing my wife mentioned that made me think/lol - the white lie about Kor's grandmother dying from "brain cancer or something" to get the rehearsed table from that couple is arguably worse than what he originally felt guilty about.

looks like we've got a season 2 episode

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wonder to what extend his house of cards was constructed. Like, did his group of friends refer him to job positions which require a masters degree for months? Did he fake rejection letters, which imply that it was not due to his education?
I also wonder what his job situation is. Was he continuously unemployed for the past decade, because he was pretending to be overeducated for all those lowly BA professions?`

One of the favorite parts of Nathan for You was the Uber episode and more specifically, how Nathan obtained a bunch of burner phones.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't normally laugh out loud when watching shows, but I made an audible snort when they talked to the police officer.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I didn't even think of the cancer thing on my list of all the kind of lovely things Nathan is responsible for in this 1st episode. The premise of the show is "I wanna be a better person and I want to help people do the same". Instead he's tricking them and getting them to do progressively worse things. Maybe that's a NFY staple, but I never watched it.

It's really smart doing this drama rooted in reality. Nathan getting Kor to cheat at trivia, unwillingly, is maybe the biggest thing. Kor is already really trying to come truthful about a lie and Nathan gets him to cheat at something that is most important to him. He says trivia is sacrosanct to him.

I didn't even notice something until my rewatch. The fake Alligator pizza oven is just some guy taking unmade pizza, throwing it right into the garbage and putting up an already made pizza from somewhere else.

I wasn't even really looking forward to this show from the trailers but now i'm super excited to see what happens further along. Reviewers got to see 5 of the 6 episodes and I wonder what's in store for the finale, assuming thats the episode they didn't get to see.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ShowTime posted:

I didn't even think of the cancer thing on my list of all the kind of lovely things Nathan is responsible for in this 1st episode. The premise of the show is "I wanna be a better person and I want to help people do the same". Instead he's tricking them and getting them to do progressively worse things. Maybe that's a NFY staple, but I never watched it.

This is not the premise of the show IMO or if it is, it's incidental to furthering Nathan's machinations

quote:

The fake Alligator pizza oven is just some guy taking unmade pizza, throwing it right into the garbage and putting up an already made pizza from somewhere else.

The little touches like the guy immediately shoveling it into the garbage are what makes Fielder's stuff so good, interspersed with other things that are unscripted, like the bartender actress not knowing how to make a margarita and just sprinkling salt all in it, lol

double edit: also in the final rehearsal with the full bar and they all start loudly talking about Kor not having a Master's degree

sticksy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 17, 2022

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea i'm starting to see his style of humor and I like it.

And I think that's the premise of the show based on what he says at the beginning, which is something about people thinking he has an unsettling personality and he tries to mitigate that. Then he is trying to help other people through their issues. It's maybe a tangential thing, but I don't think this show is fully a reality tv show at all and is instead a bit of a scripted drama rooted in reality. Time will only tell I guess.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am absolutely thrilled at a possible worst case scenario happening and the results of it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder to what extend his house of cards was constructed. Like, did his group of friends refer him to job positions which require a masters degree for months? Did he fake rejection letters, which imply that it was not due to his education?
I also wonder what his job situation is. Was he continuously unemployed for the past decade, because he was pretending to be overeducated for all those lowly BA professions?`

One of the favorite parts of Nathan for You was the Uber episode and more specifically, how Nathan obtained a bunch of burner phones.

as usual any time a reality thing is set in NYC, i'm left thinking "how do these dinguses afford to live in NYC"

like, the friend... she must have family money or something, you cannot tell me she's making NYC Rent Money being a freelance Thrift Blogger

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Tricia did say roommates. She was actually complaining about them quite a bit. I'm assuming a smaller 3-4 bedroom place and even then, she definitely had a couple jobs. She asked about coupons quite a bit during the Alligator encounter too.

Kor living in a 1 bedroom by himself on a teachers salary was far more surprising to me.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

wa27 posted:

Holy poo poo the final scene was amazing

That caught me so off guard that I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I feel like that part may very well have been scripted....but I really don't care. I think it would be very funny if the person who he thinks he is helping gets very upset at him for something he did or did not tell them at the end of every episode.

Liked the episode all around. The planting of the trivia answers was the best bit. Not nearly as funny as NFY....but really good all around. I actually rewatched a bunch of NFY a few months back and was alerted to this just a few weeks ago. Very pleasant surprise.....as I had been wondering if Nathan Fielder was cooking up something new considering how many years ago NFY ended.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That caught me so off guard that I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I feel like that part may very well have been scripted....but I really don't care. I think it would be very funny if the person who he thinks he is helping gets very upset at him for something he did or did not tell them at the end of every episode.

Liked the episode all around. The planting of the trivia answers was the best bit. Not nearly as funny as NFY....but really good all around. I actually rewatched a bunch of NFY a few months back and was alerted to this just a few weeks ago. Very pleasant surprise.....as I had been wondering if Nathan Fielder was cooking up something new considering how many years ago NFY ended.

If you haven't watched How To With John Wilson on HBO check it out. It lacks the comedic structure of NFY but it really wallows in the same absurdity and escalation. Nathan Fielder is a producer on it, and it is very well made.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That caught me so off guard that I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I feel like that part may very well have been scripted....but I really don't care. I think it would be very funny if the person who he thinks he is helping gets very upset at him for something he did or did not tell them at the end of every episode..

Watch it again but pay attention to his face

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stromboni posted:

Watch it again but pay attention to his face

That rules that some people missed it.

Not even judging it took me a second to realize what was going on. You could glance the wrong way for 3 seconds and have the entire ending change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

veni veni veni posted:

That rules that some people missed it.

Not even judging it took me a second to realize what was going on. You could glance the wrong way for 3 seconds and have the entire ending change

Yeah I didn’t notice it right away either and had to rewind a few seconds once I realized lol