Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

veni veni veni posted:

That rules that some people missed it.

Not even judging it took me a second to realize what was going on. You could glance the wrong way for 3 seconds and have the entire ending change

Yeah, part of what makes me think this show is already in the brilliant-tier is that Nathan has managed to better explore our cultural fascination with multi-verses (because we all know that this planet and all of us are doomed) better than any Disney or Rick and Morty poo poo. He's literally making mandela effects in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

He's literally making mandela effects in the show.

One of the many, many highlights from How To

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

sticksy posted:

One of the many, many highlights from How To

Absolutely, but in How To the audience is in on the joke and in this the audience can become the victims of it.

I can't wait to see how Nathan continues to blur the line between reality and simulation.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Very bold of HBO to also debut Season 5 of westworld while S4 is still going.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Nathan for You is one of my top five shows of all time, so I'm so glad that this isn't letting me down at all. Highlights for me were the actress playing Tricia nailing how awful she seemed to be, and Thrifty Boy throwing back a ketchup packet in the interview. One thing I found interesting is that Nathan for You was mostly low stakes business ideas that end in failure, and this episode had high personal stakes that ended in success (in both friendship and trivia). It's the first episode, so we'll see where the series goes and if that changes.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It was a personal victory wrapped in the most sinister stuff he’s ever done. There’s a reason that Wonka music at the end is so haunting.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The editing was effective, but I'm not sure if anything from this episode was more sinister than making a kid cry with goofy footage of their pet in heaven, convincing parents to put their kid in a soundproof box feet away from an orgy, or any interaction from the Hunk

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gotta say I really love the goon who never watched Nathan For You starting out as “this is good but mean” and then almost starting to get it in real-time as the discussion itt continues

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ShowTime posted:

Yea i'm starting to see his style of humor and I like it.

And I think that's the premise of the show based on what he says at the beginning, which is something about people thinking he has an unsettling personality and he tries to mitigate that. Then he is trying to help other people through their issues. It's maybe a tangential thing, but I don't think this show is fully a reality tv show at all and is instead a bit of a scripted drama rooted in reality. Time will only tell I guess.

Well, he's playing a character, and it's based in part on some research he did on autistic people (although the character is explicitly not autistic). The bit about why he's doing it might have come from that--autistic people often rehearse conversations as a coping mechanism.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Has he done an interview on that? How does that work, "my character is based on autistic people but the character isn't autistic (because then I would get in trouble)"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that sounds uh. Bogus

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thrifty boy reminded me of

and

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

Has he done an interview on that? How does that work, "my character is based on autistic people but the character isn't autistic (because then I would get in trouble)"

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/nathan-fielder-how-the-cult-comedian-rules-the-outer-limits-of-awkward-203950/

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, good. I kind of remember that interview too but didn't know where to find the link. Yeah, I think the first description made it sound a little more negative. It was more something that the interviewer was poking at when I think it was just part of Nathan's research into fleshing out a character with trouble relating to people in social settings.

Here's the relevant bit:

quote:

When a server comes to take our order, he looks genuinely panicked when I ask for a turkey sandwich. “Will you be offended if I get a breakfast thing?” he asks with unblinking, stone-faced sincerity. “Should I match you?”

He eventually felt comfortable enough to go for oatmeal, but the question of just how weird this guy really is – and how much his TV persona matches his real self – lingers. “There’s only about a 10 percent difference between the Nathan on the show and real-life Nathan,” says Nathan for You co-creator Michael Koman. “The character is just an amplified version of him. He’s awkward socially. Most people in comedy are awkward socially. But he’s a guy with a very solid, wonderful group of friends, who is a loyal, ethical person. He’s a very sweet man, and he’s very concerned with your well-being.”

“The scariest thing about the show is that [character] is Nathan,” says Tim Gilbert, Fielder’s college roommate and a fellow comedian. “It’s not super-put-on.” Gilbert is quick to qualify, though, that the real Fielder always had plenty of friends – and female admirers. “For as long as I’ve known him, women have loved him. I think it’s because he [seems] hard to get.”

Fielder researched Asperger’s syndrome while fine-tuning his TV persona, but he rejects any suggestion his character is on the spectrum. “There’s a lot of social disconnects that people experience all the time that have nothing to do with autism or anything,” he says. When I ask if he’s ever wondered whether he has a developmental disorder, he’s genuinely horrified. “Please don’t tell me this is the angle of your piece,” he says.

Although I swear there was another interview where he said that he mainly looked into it because people kept asking if his character (even pre Nathan for You) was meant to be on the spectrum.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 18, 2022

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I think the first description made it sound a little more negative.

I think I chose my words carefully and was only trying to offer some possible background on a single line of exposition. :(

vvv Oh yeah, the part where they go through the scenario he was worried about reminded me of exercises where you ask yourself, what's the worst that could happen? and work through that.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 18, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

No Pants posted:

Well, he's playing a character, and it's based in part on some research he did on autistic people (although the character is explicitly not autistic). The bit about why he's doing it might have come from that--autistic people often rehearse conversations as a coping mechanism.

At the very least, it's got a few similarities to a course of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for social anxiety I did. Where you map out what you expect and then measure how close the actual experience was to your expectations, and usually, like in the show, the reality is people don't react very strongly and there's very little social consequences for the things you think are shameful, unusual, or will inspire a bad reaction.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 18, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

fez_machine posted:

At the very least, it's got a few similarities to a course of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for social anxiety I did. Where you map out what you expect and then measure how close the actual experience was to your expectations, and usually, like in the show, the reality is people don't react very strongly and there's very little social consequences for the things you think are shameful, unusual, or will inspire a bad reaction.

I was just coming here to post this. It’s funny that this show is both lower stakes than NFY, because someone’s livelihood isn’t involved, and higher stakes, because it’s their personal relationships instead.

At first it made me feel a bit queasier about the setup, but it was fascinating to see how Nathan’s approach was actually a sort of funhouse approximation of some types of therapy, and in particular cognitive behavioral therapy.

The scene where they simulate the worst case scenario and the entire crowd comments on him not having a masters felt bad at first, but then you realize that it’s actually a safe way to experience your nightmare and come out the other side better prepared to overcome your own mental challenges.

Also I laughed harder than I have in a long time at the escalating trivia knowledge setups culminating in the cop, especially the gratuitous ”he shot someone on the head on the way in.”

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I hope Nathan doesn’t get in trouble with this show now that he can’t rely on the legal guidance of Judge Anthony Filosa :(

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Professor Wayne posted:

The editing was effective, but I'm not sure if anything from this episode was more sinister than making a kid cry with goofy footage of their pet in heaven, convincing parents to put their kid in a soundproof box feet away from an orgy, or any interaction from the Hunk

Those situations are more explicitly uncomfortable and disturbing, as is much of Nathan for You (poop flavored yogurt!) but I was thinking more in terms of social critique and implication. I want to try and better compose my thoughts, but the show is tapping into this very real kernel of anxiety and suggesting that the best solution is to dehumanize yourself, become an actor in your own life, and granularly manipulate the world around you to make your navigation as simple as possible. That creates its own stress of course, and the entire process can become so insanely recursive that you don't know what's real and what's simulated. How long will we go into the season before Nathan is running simulations of simulations?

Spoiler for the Episode 2 Preview (aired at the end of Episode 1)
In the next episode, The Alligator Lounge appears rebuilt in a different warehouse. We obviously don't know the context, but what if this is a simulation of the simulated Alligator Lounge? Seems unlikely in the context of the episode preview, but it would illustrate the idea of cocentric simulations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You could probably make an extremely compelling follow-up show where they just go talk to all these people after they and everyone they know has presumably seen the episode air lol.

I keep checking the Cheap Chick in the City blog to see if there's any mention of it, but nothing, even with an update today.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cheap Chick in the City?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cheap Chick in the City?

Cheap Chick in the City.

(I think Cheap Chick in the City is probably an example of someone realizing they're making a TV show, so they go along with an absurd thing. "We're repeating this over and over? It must be a TV thing. They probably want multiple takes.")

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cheap Chick in the City?

Cheap. Chick. In the city.

I'm absolutely loving this show because it's so similar to my absolute favorite episode of NFY, Smokers Allowed. I literally can't make it through that episode without crying big ugly tears during his final interaction with the actress bartender. They spent WEEKS of hard work and rehearsals to painstakingly recreate an hour of basically nothing. They put on a show of it and people in the audience are just like "whatever"; I think one even falls asleep in the middle. But when Nathan interviews the fake bartender, he's doing that bit where he asks her to say that she loved it over and over. He admits that he knows it's not real and he just likes to hear her say it, when she stops him and clarifies that no, she actually loved it. :unsmith: It seems to catch Nathan off guard for a moment.

Christ I'm tearing up just typing that. I've worked with student music ensembles for decades where we rehearse for months to put on a show, and sometimes the score the judges give the group are bad, the audience reaction is lukewarm and it's like "Welp, season over. Time to go home. We suck" but you have to remember that it's the ones participating in the show whose lives are the most changed. It's not for nothing!!!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

In the subtitles, Nathan was saying check not chick, so it seemed to me like he was being corrected.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He clearly said "check" a couple of times, but the subtitles also had him saying "chick" sometimes

My mom 3 days later is still caught up on "how did he not know the story of Willy Wonka???"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol he clearly did know it because he immediately went into exactly how willy wonka is terrifying

i want to know if the guy ever watched NFY, especially after Nathan asked him point blank. I get the feeling he never did.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
"Of course he knows it, he's just acting like he doesn't"
"Why?"
"To make the other guy explain it"
"Why?"
"Because he thinks it's funny"
"Why?"

Big surprise this is not a show for boomers

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
https://twitter.com/cheapchicknyc/status/1548757607539687425?t=Lr1zSmRuLDZy4QICkuEL6g&s=19

That profile picture lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hahaha

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tricia really was a character. Shows up to interview a subject and ends up just talking about herself. I was feeling bad that she’s looking so bad on national TV but she kinda redeemed herself by being so kind about her friend’s lies and sad backstory.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

a new study bible! posted:

If you haven't watched How To With John Wilson on HBO check it out. It lacks the comedic structure of NFY but it really wallows in the same absurdity and escalation. Nathan Fielder is a producer on it, and it is very well made.

Yeah, I've watched John Wilson. Super good. Think it's safe to say that just about anything that Nathan Fielder has some tangible creative input into will be good.

stromboni posted:

Watch it again but pay attention to his face

Yeah, I caught that after reading the thread. Very funny. Hopefully he strings some of his own bad rehearsal reactions throughout the show.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What got me the most might have been when Nathan revealed he loaded the skeet shooting guns with all blanks so they could bond over being terrible shots

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Another funny thing is that she is 0% interested in the huge publicity she just got. I mean imagine hearing "ok your tiny blog is going to be featured on a hit HBO show; we'll show lingering shots onscreen several times while the lead discusses it, and then we'll repeat the name for 3 minutes straight." Most wannabe influencers would die. She seems to be running from it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Never saw this before lmao. Hang in there if you haven't seen it, it goes places

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's pretty nice that hbo max has all the shows in the nathanverse. I'm going to check out the john wilson this week, but going back through some choice NFY eps is also tempting

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My main take away from most of Nathan's work is that there are some really weird people on Craigslist

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's pretty nice that hbo max has all the shows in the nathanverse. I'm going to check out the john wilson this week, but going back through some choice NFY eps is also tempting

Joe Pera Talks With You is also a good ol' time, not so much meta or playing with perception as being gentle and good-humored, like a Sesame Street for grown-ups. I can easily imagine it being Nathan's bedtime show (in or out of character).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Joe Pera Talks With You

RIP :(

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
so a thing about the match cut scene is that i think it's a bit overambitious about said match cut. Where exactly is this conversation taking place? I assume it's at the warehouse. but then it draws attention to the chronology if that's the case. Could have used an establishing shot of kor & nathan debriefing at the warehouse after the bar. but the jacket nathan wears kinda points to the conversation happening outside, as he never wears a jacket when at the warehouse, and the tie is conspicuous about his outfit being quite different. it's set up like a magic trick to show as little of the setting as possible, so it seems like it could have taken place immediately after the encounter in an alley outside the bar. which points either towards the actor's reaction being shot after so that the cuts would match, or a higher degree of stoogism than anticipated. Either way, an ecstatic truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My main take away from most of Nathan's work is that there are some really weird people on Craigslist

buddy, you have no idea