Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Another Bill posted:

Season 2: Asher has a twin brother Osher who moves to Espiñola to help take care of the baby.

These property reno reality guys always have twin brothers.

the house is very clearly unsafe, it’ll never pass osher certification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
If they do a second season it should have Nathan’s face superimposed on a baby with CGI.

Replace all of the social commentary and awkwardness with wisecracks and shoot it like a 3 camera sitcom.

e: each episode has a b-plot about Dougie’s wacky get rich quick schemes

Poopbutt fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 26, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I would legitimately enjoy a sequel set 40 years in the future featuring the reincarnated Asher making the best of the postapocalypse.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I would legitimately enjoy a sequel set 40 years in the future featuring the reincarnated Asher making the best of the postapocalypse.

Radscorpion city over here

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
season 2 should be set in la like true detective

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I still find it amazing that people could watch the entirety of The Curse and walk away going “yeah it was just a literal curse the whole time what else would it be???”

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

its all a part of the the shows central thesis that TikTok Is Real Life

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

The Metamorphosis is just about a guy who gets turned into a giant cockroach and has misadventures.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Stunt Rock posted:

I still find it amazing that people could watch the entirety of The Curse and walk away going “yeah it was just a literal curse the whole time what else would it be???”

I mean, i was this stupid when I read Cuckoos Nest in high school and didn't get the Jesus allegory until it was spelled out for me.

So I kind of get it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

one flew over the student’s head

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just finished The Curse after watching it over the span of a week. I couldn't stop thinking about each episode after I watched it. While I didn't like the finale at first, it's grown on me since.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seriously though, I wonder how much of this is autobiographical? One of the only things we know about Nathan is that he got divorced recently - I don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine that Asher and Whitney’s relationship is an exaggerated version of Nathan and his ex-wife’s. Both Nathan and Asher produce and star in what, from a production standpoint, are both essentially reality TV shows. Maybe the anti-gravity is an interpretation of Nathan feeling like he was literally yeeted from the marriage.

The last two episodes, when considered from the perspective that the whole show was written by Fielder and Safdie, made clear to me that the whole show is a protracted Freudian fantasy-turned-nightmare produced from a very specific white, heterosexual, male, upper middle class perspective.

Everyone in the show is basically a foil for Asher and his anxieties. But what at first appears to be a liberal comedy of manners employing the medium of reality TV to skewer petit bourgeois sensibilities instead becomes an exploration of Asher's ultimate anxiety: losing Whit. Asher both fears and is sexually excited by the thought of being subordinate to Whit, whether it's through being overshadowed by her in career terms, her ending their relationship, or him being cuckolded by her. This produces a tension between his attempts to present himself in traditional masculine terms and his desire to maintain a relationship with Whit. Will he take his father-in-law's advice and "play the clown," submitting to this perceived humiliation, or will he try to assert himself through expressions of masculinity? The show basically explores this as the situation progresses and the anxiety builds in classic Safdie fashion.

The end of episode 9 makes clear that Asher has embraced his submissive role, and in the beginning of episode 10 it seems that this has produced the desired result. The ultimate proof to the wider world that he is traditionally masculine is Whit's pregnancy, which is why he is so hyperfocused on her menstrual cycle earlier in the show. But this has unwittingly introduced a new psychosexual threat: the potential that a new male, his son, will supersede him as the focus of Whit's attention. Literally the last thing that Asher tells Whit before he ends up on the ceiling, when he's singing to her belly, is "there's a little me inside you."

From this perspective, it makes sense that the arrival of this "little me" literally tears Asher away from Whit. No matter how much he submits himself to her, no matter how much he plays the clown and rolls with the punches, he isn't able to be with his wife. I also don't think it's a coincidence that the doula who takes Whit to the hospital and guides her is another man--a Jewish man no less--thus symbolically cuckolding Asher once again. And the last sequence in which we see Whit and Asher's situations juxtaposed show the former smiling and looking up as the baby is born, while we see the later dying in the upper atmosphere. This is the ultimate anxiety, and Asher's true curse: that Whit will end up with a new Asher who makes her happy but entirely replaces him.

Anyway the show was cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stunt Rock posted:

I think you are over simplifying that perspective to make it sound dumb. I did writeup on the last page on why I think to some extent it's the best way to look at the show, but obviously there is a lot going on. I just don't think the ending is a puzzle that the audience is meant to solve.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

panko posted:

one flew over the student’s head

really good post.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DoctorWhat posted:

really good post.

Woah positivity city over here

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Stunt Rock posted:

i mean.... finding it hard to find another explanation for a dude's gravity reversing beyond artistic metaphor

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sometimes things just happen and no one knows why.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How did they get Nathan up that high anyway, weather balloons or something?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It's an optical illusion. They actually created a mock Espiñola inside a 1,000 ft hole. Nathan isn't high, he just seems that way because everything else is so low.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He held in his farts. Never hold in your farts.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

The end of episode 9 makes clear that Asher has embraced his submissive role, and in the beginning of episode 10 it seems that this has produced the desired result.
I have a different read of episode 9’s ending. Asher prostrates himself to Whit, but with such commitment and zealotry that it rolls all the way over into being an act of dominance — even forcing Dougie, the satanic figure of their psychosexual triangle, into the hotel room’s cuck chair in a daze.

That’s right folks, Asher is topping from the bottom.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Finally getting around to watching this. Loving it so far. Comparison's to David Lynch are apt - the willingness to linger on shots, ample use of character actors (Gary Farmer!!! Barkhad!!!) is a treat. Just finishing episode 3.

It makes me sad that so many people I know who've watched this talk about it in terms of "I can only watch one episode at a time" or felt like it made them overly uncomfortable. It's not that it's not uncomfortable at times, but it's not like watching a cow birth videos. Feel like it says a lot about the general tv diet/production that this sticks out so much. Makes me grateful Fielder and co. have enough sway to make a show like this – and enough popularity to get people on board for something they clearly wouldn't have signed up for otherwise.

Pleasantly surprised by how much topical stuff they're cramming into this too. Gentrification, representation, white guilt, reality tv, etc. etc. Doesn't feel forced either, which is a feat onto itself.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I’m a huge fan and it’s always striking how differently people see his work. Tons of people talk about it as cringe and that’s completely valid but it never really comes off that way to me. I’ve always found all of Nathan’s work to be really sweet and humanizing. They definitely show people having a lot of unspoken tensions, but that’s a normal part of so many regular human interactions, but he chooses to linger on really seeing the differences between what people say and what they mean. His work very rarely shows people to be “bad” and very often goes far out of its way to let people and characters explain themselves and show their motivations. The scene from the rehearsal where he tells Angela that it’s all supposed to be “interesting *and* funny is completely sincere and only rarely crosses the line over to cruelty. To reduce his work to “cringe” humor really ignores how much he does to portray people and their motivations as being complex and worthy of close focus.

inferis fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 1, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Another Bill posted:

It's an optical illusion. They actually created a mock Espiñola inside a 1,000 ft hole. Nathan isn't high, he just seems that way because everything else is so low.

Nah they actually just filmed it in reverse. They took him up into the space shuttle and dropped him

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Finally getting around to watching this. Loving it so far. Comparison's to David Lynch are apt - the willingness to linger on shots, ample use of character actors (Gary Farmer!!! Barkhad!!!) is a treat. Just finishing episode 3.

It makes me sad that so many people I know who've watched this talk about it in terms of "I can only watch one episode at a time" or felt like it made them overly uncomfortable. It's not that it's not uncomfortable at times, but it's not like watching a cow birth videos.

Glad you're enjoying it, stay clear of spoilers in this thread, but get back to me in a few episodes because "like watching a cow birth video" is almost the description I never knew I needed for how queasy some parts made me lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This show was definitely uncomfortable at times (not nearly as much as I expected based on the way people talk about it) but I never saw it as the kind of thing I cringed away from or could only handle in short bursts either, I binged the entire thing across 3 sittings. I also don't think I ever viewed it as a 'psychological thriller' like some people have described, it was squarely a (dark) comedy to me the whole way through. That's probably the most fascinating thing about it to me: people have so many different viewing experiences with it that it's clearly resonating with people in all kinds of personal ways. There's a whole lot to unpack about it and I haven't stopped thinking about it since I finished it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 1, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

inferis posted:

I’m a huge fan and it’s always striking how differently people see his work. Tons of people talk about it as cringe and that’s completely valid but it never really comes off that way to me. I’ve always found all of Nathan’s work to be really sweet and humanizing. They definitely show people having a lot of unspoken tensions, but that’s a normal part of so many regular human interactions, but he chooses to linger on really seeing the differences between what people say and what they mean. His work very rarely shows people to be “bad” and very often goes far out of its way to let people and characters explain themselves and show their motivations. The scene from the rehearsal where he tells Angela that it’s all supposed to be “interesting *and* funny is completely sincere and only rarely crosses the line over to cruelty. To reduce his work to “cringe” humor really ignores how much he does to portray people and their motivations as being complex and worthy of close focus.

This is well put and is kinda the same conclusion I came to about 'cringe' stuff more broadly speaking years ago. I think of that infamous FOAM video of two friends freaking out as they go to buy foam – a lot of shade thrown at them for being so dumb about it, but really you're just watching two people hype each other up on their own little dumb joke. A lot of cringe stuff is just people breaking social norms and being overly honest or passionate about something. Can be funny, but a lot of the mocking side of it seems to come down to a personal fear someone would see you be that vulnerable.

Fielders stuff is at it's best when it's embracing that silliness (the gas station camping episode) and the worst when he did make them the butt of the joke.

goferchan posted:

Glad you're enjoying it, stay clear of spoilers in this thread, but get back to me in a few episodes because "like watching a cow birth video" is almost the description I never knew I needed for how queasy some parts made me lol

Will do. And yeah. Like people told me they could only stomach the show in bits and... that's just reads to me like their media diet must just be Great British Bake Off or something. Does speak to the strength of the show tho. The sweater scene was just perfect in how it captured the tragedy of what they're doing broadly speaking. Smart show.

Fielder is perfectly cast for this kind of role. Don't think he's a Daniel-Day Lewis, and it's hard to tell where some of the stilted deliveries are intentional vs. him overacting, but it's like watching a made-for-tv movie where one person is just making so many *fun* choices you can't help but enjoy every scene they're in. Works really well with the character.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
lol

https://twitter.com/futurecanon/status/1753061038520492323?s=20

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Guess how old 61

e: He's a cherry tomato boy for sure

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 1, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It makes me sad that so many people I know who've watched this talk about it in terms of "I can only watch one episode at a time" or felt like it made them overly uncomfortable. It's not that it's not uncomfortable at times, but it's not like watching a cow birth videos. Feel like it says a lot about the general tv diet/production that this sticks out so much. Makes me grateful Fielder and co. have enough sway to make a show like this – and enough popularity to get people on board for something they clearly wouldn't have signed up for otherwise.

Honestly, some people are just more able than others to stomach the specific kind of interpersonal tension that Fielder and Safdie are so good at creating. Some people can handle body horror but not slasher movies, for example. It's a vibe that impacts people differently.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This is tripping me out

https://x.com/angelbyshaggy/status/1752899489445417397?s=20

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Literally living in the Nathan Fielder universe rn

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i was only able to watch an episode or two at a time of this show not bc i couldn't handle the cringe or weirdness, but bc i like/need to give myself time to process the density of what's going on each episode without overloading.

i can and do cram episode after episode of stuff like master chef bc it's mindless and repetitive and nothing substantial really happens. but i prefer to not binge shows where things are happening that i want to process and cling to the stuff i'm watching unfold.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ShoogaSlim posted:

i was only able to watch an episode or two at a time of this show not bc i couldn't handle the cringe or weirdness, but bc i like/need to give myself time to process the density of what's going on each episode without overloading.

i can and do cram episode after episode of stuff like master chef bc it's mindless and repetitive and nothing substantial really happens. but i prefer to not binge shows where things are happening that i want to process and cling to the stuff i'm watching unfold.

This is absolutely how I am. I cannot binge watch scripted shows. My wife and I have been watching Reacher and even with that, we watch a single episode a night at most. Sometimes taking a few days break between episodes. It allows us to kind of marinate the thoughts of the most recent episode.

Others will disagree, but I feel like the "binge watch" style of modern streaming sucks.

Like, my folks watch 4-5 hours of TV a night. But they will only watch one show at a time. So that means they're burning through a season of a show in two to three days. I don't know how they're able to do that without every season just being a blur.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just finished episode 7. It's wild how Dougie has quickly become the least depressing of the main trio.

Keep going back and forth between whether Whitney or Asher is more depressing. His inability to connect with anyone is utterly tragic, but then you have her making connections but paper thin ones mostly based on her buying friends.

Show still rockin.

The opening to episode 8 is loving hilarious.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 3, 2024

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone do a rewatch yet?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

I enjoy my junk food tv as much as the next person but it was very refreshing to see something that wasn’t a remake or a franchise or an adaptation and which was actually interesting in being a challenging work of art.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Harminoff posted:

Anyone do a rewatch yet?

I don't have the strength to do a rewatch any time in the near future.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Harminoff posted:

Anyone do a rewatch yet?

Planning on starting one in a day or two when I have the time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They icarus'd my boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't think it was a perfect resolution to the story, but still loved it. If you're going to do an eleventh hour swerve, it's always great to see such a full commit to it. Them holding each other in equilibrium was an incredible visual, definitely what's going to stay with me.

Certainly ended on a rather sad note. Definitely one of those "punishment doesn't match the crime" situations where he probably needed anger management, but the fear and slow of suffocation in space was a sad place to leave a character who's existence seemed painful to begin with.

Given Fielder went through a divorce, wonder how much of that experience went into this.

Solid show. Really unique and interesting. Hope Benny and Nathan do more things in the future.

goferchan posted:

After reading this I honestly expected a scene where a cow gives birth.