Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The divorce was kinda prevalent as a theme in the Rehearsal too. Not directly addressed but got brought up a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I honestly think a lot more of Fielder’s work has been autobiographical than might first appear to be the case. Pretty big chunks of Nathan For You also reflected aspects of his life in different ways.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Harminoff posted:

Anyone do a rewatch yet?

i started it over again and got through about three episodes so far. it was helpful to look at it again through a different lens bc when i first started it i was unconvinced that it would be good but continued watching out of morbid curiosity.

you can def pick up on all the not-so-subtle but not overblown ways they exhibit their problematic tendencies early on going through it again.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Having just finished it I'm not going to rewatch anytime soon, but by the end I was really struggling to remember if they were having big issues before Dougie planted and nurtured that seed in Whitney's head.

I suppose it's kind of obvious, but I liked that that was her 'curse' in that once it took root in her head she couldn't get it out and it broke up parts of her life. From what I recall they were relatively content with each other until that turn, but don't doubt there were subtle things earlier.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
rewatched episode 1 tonight and there are very clear signs early on that things aren't great with their relationship. episode is even funnier on second watch, too.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

in ep 1 asher forcefeeding whit “cherry tomato” while swerving the tesla actually turns her on :negative:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It was a rough but also hilarious and technically amazing ending. From how I saw it, Asher tries everything he can to make a terrible real estate show and marriage work. That's all he has, but he completely fails and the universe literally pulls him away. The world doesn't need another stupid real estate show based on a sham marriage.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The biggest issue for me is that we're not really given a premise for why Emma Stone married Nathan Fielder prior to everything.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

The biggest issue for me is that we're not really given a premise for why Emma Stone married Nathan Fielder prior to everything.

Whitney is obsessed with publicly distancing herself from her slum lord parents and her past involvement with them. Whitney Rhodes is a tainted identity, but Whitney Siegel is a new start. She even gets her own claim to being a minority through her conversion to Judaism.

I imagine Asher’s reverence for Whitney was probably genuinely appealing to her at some point earlier in their relationship, as he seems to have been the first person in the world to buy into her rebranding.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

yeah i was gonna say if she wants to distance herself from her family's legacy (a "curse" of a different kind? is everything a "curse"??) then it stands to reason she would latch onto a wealthy guy who worships her.

they seem to have some decent fun occasionally, like when they genuinely laughed about trying to get her shirt off before they staged it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man again love that this show introduced me to John Medeski

https://www.youtube.com/live/DejToCsJ3ac?si=qSJ_Z6XGDP2Wobny

just great. MM&W also been in high rotation

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just watched The Zone of Interest, an amazing movie that's gotten stuck in my head the last couple of days. Then someone commented in the CD thread about the movie that it weirdly echoes The Curse and now I can't stop thinking about the parallels. Both unflinching, unnerving portrayals of middle class striving and complicity with worldly evils as embodied in real estate.

Thankfully, Asher has thrown his weighty business acumen behind educating the world about the Holocaust.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

MeinPanzer posted:

Just watched The Zone of Interest, an amazing movie that's gotten stuck in my head the last couple of days. Then someone commented in the CD thread about the movie that it weirdly echoes The Curse and now I can't stop thinking about the parallels. Both unflinching, unnerving portrayals of middle class striving and complicity with worldly evils as embodied in real estate.

Thankfully, Asher has thrown his weighty business acumen behind educating the world about the Holocaust.

I was getting into NFY/The Rehearsal when my son was a newborn and I really considered getting one of these:

https://summitice.kingsroadmerch.com/product/14779/deny-nothing-onesie-white

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Can't wait till someone replaces the footage of modern janitors cleaning the ovens and piles of shoes at the Auschwitz museum at the end of The Zone of Interest with a clip from the NFY Summit Ice episode.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

emgeejay posted:

I have a different read of episode 9’s ending. Asher prostrates himself to Whit, but with such commitment and zealotry that it rolls all the way over into being an act of dominance — even forcing Dougie, the satanic figure of their psychosexual triangle, into the hotel room’s cuck chair in a daze.

That’s right folks, Asher is topping from the bottom.

👆

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

veni veni veni posted:

This kind of criticism is hilarious to me because it means absolutely nothing other than "This thing thinks it's smart, but it's not. I'm smarter. I'm smarter because reasons"

You said a show that is basically rapid social commentary has nothing to say. Then when someone gives you examples of how that is objectively wrong, it actually does have something to say, but it's "too easy". When they contradict your complaint about it not being arty (lol) it actually is but not arty enough.

Allright man, tell me why. Give me literally anything other than complaints that are so broad that they could mean literally anything and maybe I can get your angle more. Give me some examples of things that you find more sufficient etc.

not sure what you're asking me to tell you, i have a perspective, and that perspective is that saying rich kids mooching off their parents is a pretty easy topic to lampoon. It's been a while so i dunno, it's smart but it's not enjoyable to actually watch outside of a few moments, that doesn't mean it's bad, but it's also not very good. If you can find joy in the cringe or find another reason to keep watching then it's a perfectly good experience, not because it makes you feel good or because it is particularly profound but because it's very different to what emotions tv shows generally try to convey

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

First few minutes of this are interesting as some VFX guys learn about and are amazed by how they pulled off the Curse finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNpFqXraKE

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finally got around to finishing off The Curse (it's quite uncomfortable for me to watch so I kept putting it off and watching in chunks) and I would never, ever, have guessed the ending. Wild.

I hated watching it overall. Great show.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Artelier posted:

Nathan Fielder Megathread: I hated watching it overall. Great show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Artelier posted:

I hated watching it overall. Great show.

seconded

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imo Jerrod Carmichael Reality Show should be the next show this thread covers as it’s in a similar vein to Rehearsal and Goldman and the first episode was really good

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching the first ep of that, and idk, it hits different when it's a wildly successful guy. It gets awkward when he's badgering his friend about why he doesn't have feelings for him despite the guy clearly going "we're friends, but not interested"... but otherwise it's a lot of him getting laid and going to the Emmy's. Not bad, but feels significantly more vanity project than Fielder or Goldman were.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
nathan has the game in the chokehold so bad even the crew working on the Curse thought that there was a good chance that the show would be a meta framing device and that they were in it https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-curse-nathan-fielder-reality-1235885081/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Not bad, but feels significantly more vanity project than Fielder or Goldman were.

IMO it's not one, because it's probably not "real" and it's about showing Carmichael to be a weird, slightly joyless, arse.

Or if it's a vanity project then he's doing it very weirdly.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Felt like the later to me. But the former is also weird - if it's not real, it just evokes strong poser vibes. In The Rehearsal, lord knows how much of Nathan's stuff is getting lost in the role vs. acting, but it doesn't super matter because the premise is super interesting. & it's all in service to a wonderfully ludicrous thought experiment. While I imagine it's mostly acting, it feels like some of it could be legit, and even that slimmer of doubt is fascinating.

Real or fake, Carmichael's show came across as a humble brag masquerading as 'an inside look' and was pretty off-putting to me. Haven't watched more of it though, maybe it gets better?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 16, 2024

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Real or fake, Carmichael's show came across as a humble brag masquerading as 'an inside look' and was pretty off-putting to me. Haven't watched more of it though, maybe it gets better?

The "celebrity unsatisfied despite career success" shows tend not to be great because it feels like they think the concept carries a lot of weight, when it probably hurts a bit. It is really tough to balance being relatable enough for the audience to connect to while also having the backdrop be a mansion, luxury cars, near unlimited leisure time, or whatever else (I haven't seen Carmichael's show, so talking generally). People get that money doesn't literally buy happiness, so no one is getting their mind blown by rich guy ennui.

Maybe the test is, would the series be mostly the same if it took place at lower stakes (i.e. mildly successful comic making under $100k) and didn't feature rich people lifestyle indicators. If it would be the same, then the rich guy stuff is probably just humble bragging. If the rich lifestyle stuff is genuinely key to the story, then they really need to do something new with it. The "successful guy still carries past trauma that prevents happiness" angle still needs to be well done and actually relevant to the story for it to land.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

atrus50 posted:

nathan has the game in the chokehold so bad even the crew working on the Curse thought that there was a good chance that the show would be a meta framing device and that they were in it https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-curse-nathan-fielder-reality-1235885081/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

“You know how when you’re shooting in an area, you might see a mistake in movies where someone in the background will look at the camera, and that’s like if they’re shooting in New York and you’re like, ‘Oh, that must be a real person,’” he added. ”We actually had extras that we directed them to look at the camera, so it feels like you get the real feeling…There’s a lot of people in the show that are looking at the camera, but we told them to do it.”

“We were almost staging like they’re just a guy who happened to be in the room, so it feels like a mistake, and so the viewer will feel like, ‘Oh my God, are they okay with this?’” Fielder explained. “We wanted people to think about that, because that’s what we were thinking about, too. We just really wanted to make sure we weren’t doing the thing that the characters were doing, even though we sort of are a little bit.”

The "person looks at the camera" bits were always the most unsettling poo poo. loving loved it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My favorite thing about him other than the fact that he is ridiculously funny is his love of loving with the audience as much as the people on a show. there's been so many arguments about how "real" his stuff is and I'm sure he would relish in all of them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a few months on and the Curse finale is still ringin' in my head. when do we get another Nathan Fielder show? nothing else satisfies

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

a few months on and the Curse finale is still ringin' in my head. when do we get another Nathan Fielder show? nothing else satisfies

The Rehearsal season 2 was in production as of January per Tim heidecker , hopefully late this year we will get that

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/emma-stone-nathan-fielder-interview-the-curse-1235879506/

new interview with the Hollywood Reporter, tipping a bit that they've got a plan for s2 of The Curse. hell yeah

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ugh while I have faith in Nathan it really doesn't need a second season. That ending was pretty much "ideal".

Though it would be funny for him to just be back with no mention of the finale, except he's always holding on to a railing or something.

Or it's Asher's twin brother.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nathan would clearly be playing the role of the baby in a hypothetical season two

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/emma-stone-nathan-fielder-interview-the-curse-1235879506/

new interview with the Hollywood Reporter, tipping a bit that they've got a plan for s2 of The Curse. hell yeah

They've mentioned it a few times in interviews over the last few months, but I'd be shocked if it got a second season.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I hope it’s an anthology thing and the main three are back but they’re playing completely different characters.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

s2 takes place a few years later when their child is a toddler with nathan's face super imposed on it Little Man style

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

S2 takes place 40 years later, Emma Stone and Benny Safdie are in old people makeup, Nathan looks exactly the same.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Nah s2 is going to be about how they got the idea to do the show in the first place. It will have them meeting with a consultant, who just so happens to have really good grades from business school...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lister posted:

s2 takes place a few years later when their child is a toddler with nathan's face super imposed on it Little Man style

I would watch the gently caress out of this but only if he acted like a real toddler the whole time.