Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

goferchan posted:

Never saw this before lmao. Hang in there if you haven't seen it, it goes places

uh yeah holy poo poo lmao

like for real. holy poo poo

edit: in reference to this. everyone watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

No Pants posted:

Well, he's playing a character, and it's based in part on some research he did on autistic people (although the character is explicitly not autistic). The bit about why he's doing it might have come from that--autistic people often rehearse conversations as a coping mechanism.

What gives you this idea? I think you might be connecting some extra dots here.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

precision posted:

uh yeah holy poo poo lmao

like for real. holy poo poo

edit: in reference to this. everyone watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

That was really good. I tried to get into How To and couldn't, unfortunately.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I tried to figure it out without IMDb but it was driving me nuts how familiar Fake Kor was. It's Mr. Poe from the Unfortunate Series of Events show on Netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DangerDummy! posted:

I tried to figure it out without IMDb but it was driving me nuts how familiar Fake Kor was. It's Mr. Poe from the Unfortunate Series of Events show on Netflix.

i swear i've seen the actress in some things as well

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Tricia really was a character. Shows up to interview a subject and ends up just talking about herself. I was feeling bad that she’s looking so bad on national TV but she kinda redeemed herself by being so kind about her friend’s lies and sad backstory.

Yeah, I read some review that was fairly negative about the show and one of the main points was that Nathan was too cruel to his subjects, including Tricia. But I don’t know, she seemed ok to me? Like yeah, she sure does talk a whole lot but spending most of an interview talking about yourself instead of the person you’re interviewing is pretty funny, so I can’t get mad at someone for pointing it out. Plus she seemed like a good friend overall and Kor obviously cares about her opinion. I do wonder about his “potentially very very violent” comments though.

That’s how I feel about most of the people in NFY though. I don’t think his subjects usually came off looking bad or stupid and I don’t think that was ever his intent. They mostly just came off looking kind of weird, either directly through dealing with Nathan’s schemes or from some bizarre offhand comment they make that gives you some unexpected insight into their life.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nathan wrecked that horrible toy company man who doesn't care about anyone's feelings. Guy deserved it but just saying Nathan has a brutal side when he wants to.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

atrus50 posted:

so a thing about the match cut scene is that i think it's a bit overambitious about said match cut. Where exactly is this conversation taking place? I assume it's at the warehouse. but then it draws attention to the chronology if that's the case. Could have used an establishing shot of kor & nathan debriefing at the warehouse after the bar. but the jacket nathan wears kinda points to the conversation happening outside, as he never wears a jacket when at the warehouse, and the tie is conspicuous about his outfit being quite different. it's set up like a magic trick to show as little of the setting as possible, so it seems like it could have taken place immediately after the encounter in an alley outside the bar. which points either towards the actor's reaction being shot after so that the cuts would match, or a higher degree of stoogism than anticipated. Either way, an ecstatic truth
I'm... not really understanding the confusion. I guess just getting real Kor to sit in the exact right spot could be tricky, but it doesn't seem unlike Nathan to make oddly specific requests or just say it's for a certain camera angle or something. Whatever he was going to wear during the actual conversation, he could just wear during the rehearsal.

And yeah I guess they could have shot the "rehearsal" one after his conversation with Kor, which would be slightly cheating... but doesn't really change all that much?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Nathan wrecked that horrible toy company man who doesn't care about anyone's feelings. Guy deserved it but just saying Nathan has a brutal side when he wants to.

Yeah, that’s why I said most, although I forgot about that dude and yeah, he really sucked. He wasn’t just some innocent guy who got hoodwinked by Nathan into appearing bad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my baseline for reality tv cruelty is season 1 of charm school which i think is a masterpiece but is really mean spirited and if it was a little bit meaner i would hate it.

nathan is way nicer than that show so he is a sweet lil angel in my book.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think Tricia came off looking pretty bad, but if that's who she is, it's kind of hard to argue with. I did think it was funny that Kor was very openly like "yeah she can be very violent" and "she always complains and she's mad every time she comes in" and "you can't get a word in edgewise" AND YET she's one of his very closest friends and he's presumably fine with all that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
like I'm not gonna want to be her friend but I don't think she looks bad, it's just a lot of person you don't know all at once and everyone is weird. Kor was a weird dude too. It's nice harmless weirdos are friends and value one another and it's very interesting to see what kind of strange people are, people that aren't characters or actors. Well except of course they are all actors and the whole show is a scripted and curated kayfabe based on people we never see, but the "authentic people are unusual beasts once you get a look at em" vibe remains

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The overall vibe I got from NFY and especially John Wilson is “people sure are weird, huh” not “haha look at this crazy weirdo!” Even a seemingly normal person is pretty weird when you look a little closer at them. I’d say just like the viewers, but we’re all goons here so.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Tricia is fine. Kor is just a very neurotic guy with fixations imo.

I think that’s what the episode title “means.” Kor has a very specific drink order. Those small choices are variables. I kept expecting the bar to only have juice with pulp because of how heavily it was emphasized, but it’s just this small expression of powerlessness. No pulp. What’s the difference really? It’s just a small way to exert control over your life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
imo when people say nathan is being "cruel" they really mean "he's letting them show everyone what they are like and, shockingly, they have flaws"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
literally who likes juice with pulp anyway? the only thing weird about saying it is that no bar in the literal world uses juice with pulp

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nathan was being cruel by making kor a trivia cheat and forever tainting his integrity

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like pulp in my juice and crust on my bread.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
unironically give fake Tricia an Emmy.

what a perfect show. it's my favourite episode of my favourite show on a suped up budget.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Kor is innocent and should not feel like he cheated. He just absorbed information about random things from his surroundings and conversations, like any good trivia player would do. And he still managed to get some wrong.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I did find myself saying "Oh yeah, that's a super smart thing to consider," to Nathan's suggestions more than I'd like to admit. Specifically with the "You drank your orange juice too fast, now the waiter is going to come and interrupt you," I looked over at my partner and said "That's super smart!" and she just gave me a very worried and knowing look.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mennoknight posted:

unironically give fake Tricia an Emmy.

empty quote

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I did find myself saying "Oh yeah, that's a super smart thing to consider," to Nathan's suggestions more than I'd like to admit. Specifically with the "You drank your orange juice too fast, now the waiter is going to come and interrupt you," I looked over at my partner and said "That's super smart!" and she just gave me a very worried and knowing look.

This is me and most of the business ideas in nathan for you. Poo flavor yogurt? Yeah seems like a good way to attract dummies who like gimmicks.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I gasped a bit when Kor started his confession and was immediately interrupted by the pizza bell. Maybe they had considered that possibility, but Kor seemed thrown off. Tricia came in with the save though, thank god.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aye Doc posted:

nathan was being cruel by making kor a trivia cheat and forever tainting his integrity

that might be the most hosed up thing he's ever done

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm trying to imagine someone who is both really into trivia and unaware gunpowder originated in China. Perhaps Nathan attempted to incept some harder, later round questions but the ones portrayed were pretty harmless.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm trying to imagine someone who is both really into trivia and unaware gunpowder originated in China. Perhaps Nathan attempted to incept some harder, later round questions but the ones portrayed were pretty harmless.
I mean, he doesn't even have a master's degree. What do you expect??

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This is where we learn Kor was the actor all along. Nathan hired him personally and in secret to string along every other person involved with the show.

But you would be surprised by how many people love trivia nights, and who those people are educationally, professionally, even socially. Lotta introverts surprisingly.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think it makes sense for a lot of nerdy introverts to gravitate towards trivia. It lets you participate in a "going out, drinking with friends" kind of scene but with a ton of structure, and a game to always focus on so you don't have to worry about conversation dying out. And it can let them (I guess I should say "us" heh) feel socially rewarded for being smart (or at least thinking they are).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

ShowTime posted:

This is where we learn Kor was the actor all along. Nathan hired him personally and in secret to string along every other person involved with the show.

But you would be surprised by how many people love trivia nights, and who those people are educationally, professionally, even socially. Lotta introverts surprisingly.

Episode 2 features a 1:1 reproduction of the episode 1 training set so the actor who pretended to be Kor can apologize to the actor who pretended to be Kor.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
NYC has a million trivia nights. The reason those two people with kind of confusing jobs and maybe not a lot of money are at Alligator Lounge, for their trivia night specifically, is that Alligator Lounge famously/infamously gives you a free pizza with every drink. That's why he knew they were definitely getting pizza and when, that's what the whole conversation about tickets/coupons was about. The clientele that that draws tends a bit different even from other trivia nights.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Interesting. Probably impossible to tell, but can you tell if the rehearsal pizza is from the Alligator? That would be a cool little detail to know.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Tbf Trivia rules if you can sneak into a team of smart people and eat and drink for free once a week. I used to have a regular team gig with a group that contained a literal rocket scientist and we usually made money.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Or just get onto a team of people (even including yourself) that know something about a niche topic. We did them at a board game store/cafe I used to manage and we did everything from movie trivia to Magic: the Gathering trivia. The MTG was actually a big hit since our store had a big community.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Interesting. Probably impossible to tell, but can you tell if the rehearsal pizza is from the Alligator? That would be a cool little detail to know.
I definitely don't know 100%. I've never been there, just to its predecessor Crocodile Lounge back in the day. The size looked right, but I noticed the rehearsal pizza was in delivery boxes, and I don't think Alligator Lounge does delivery/takeout of their pizzas. But it's possible they could have done it as a one-time thing given that they obviously worked with the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my theory is that trivia nights are explicitly popular among people who don't actually know that much trivia because of the dunning kruger effect

i've been to a few trivia nights and to me all the questions just seemed super easy. like, if you wanna feel really smart about knowing who echo and the bunnymen are, go to a trivia night

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lets all go to trivia night together as a group :)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

If you haven’t played in the Something Awful 90FM Trivia Team you all should. It’s an awesome contest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snooze Cruise posted:

lets all go to trivia night together as a group :)

lets form a group of NFY superfans who go to trivia nights in NFY t-shirts

brainstorm NFY themed team names

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

precision posted:

my theory is that trivia nights are explicitly popular among people who don't actually know that much trivia because of the dunning kruger effect

i've been to a few trivia nights and to me all the questions just seemed super easy. like, if you wanna feel really smart about knowing who echo and the bunnymen are, go to a trivia night

I think it was pretty clear kor didn't know much trivia even on his self-proclaimed best subject, TV. All plays in to his general anxiety about being an intellectual fraud.

So of course Nathan commits intellectual fraud on kor's behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

precision posted:

lets form a group of NFY superfans who go to trivia nights in NFY t-shirts

brainstorm NFY themed team names

The problem: you're legally obligated to disclose a certain status