Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Abshir getting dust in his eyes, and being mistaken for crying in the last episode, feels a bit like a callback to Dougie blowing menthol into Fernando's mum's eyes. while Ash and Whit had qualms about it in the first episode, by the end they can't tell the difference without Abshir directly telling them.

show is great and dense, can't wait to rewatch it. also any show that closes with Alice Coltrane, goddamn, props

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, the inclusion of the Alice Coltrane was amazing. It comes as no surprise to me that apparently Safdie and Fielder do LSD together.

Don’t be silly, that only happens inside the house.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Asher's last words are "If I ever come back down-"

What do we think he was going to say? That he'd curse the people who did this to him?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Honestly, I don’t think he knows, he probably just wants to be able to think of one thing that would make his life worth saving. I imagine it’s the kind of thing anyone who dies alone, in panic and torment, thinks. It seemed like bargaining.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

hughesta posted:

Asher's last words are "If I ever come back down-"
that's apparently what the subtitles say but some people on Reddit think they're wrong and I tend to agree

to me he's pretty clearly saying “Wake up Asher, you wake up right now, wake up…”

which is pretty rough to think about, given his situation

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Sivart13 posted:

that's apparently what the subtitles say but some people on Reddit think they're wrong and I tend to agree

to me he's pretty clearly saying “Wake up Asher, you wake up right now, wake up…”

drat I would prefer this, chilling line

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I’m glad other people thought he was saying that at first, now I feel gaslit.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I’m noticing more and more that streaming captions are straight up wrong, and not just in The Curse. Probably a result of cost cutting or using automated tools, idk, but it sucks. Haven’t rewatched the finale with them on but I’ll keep an ear out next time

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just finished the finale earlier tonight. holy poo poo what a show.

i had captions only turned on for the part where asher was whispering to himself in the bathroom bc i legit couldn't make out what he was saying even with the volume up. i think that was episode 9? anyway i turned the captions back off and if you didn't tell me there was any doubt about what he said at the end i would have been totally sure he said "wake up right now" which, yeah, chilling.

the whole last episode i was on the edge of my couch, unblinking, needing to remember to breathe. safdie really knows how to channel anxiety.

one thing that was unclear to me though was what is revealed by dougie's guy with the drone? he said he saw something 700 ft away or something and dougie immediately starts crying. i missed what happened there.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

This was randomly in my YT recs but this kid's analysis of the cinematography is actually pretty interesting despite the crappy thumbnail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjxUxQZ3fgs

also yeah this is a solid video, i was surprised to find out halfway through watching it that the channel only has a little over 200 subs. the thumbnail is dogshit and doesn't do the quality of the actual video justice.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Junkenstein posted:

Couldn't help thinking about a recent existential cosmic horror film but naming it might be a bit of a spoiler to anyone yet to see it.

Would you mind naming it in a spoiler?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Boy of Joy posted:

I’m noticing more and more that streaming captions are straight up wrong, and not just in The Curse. Probably a result of cost cutting or using automated tools, idk, but it sucks. Haven’t rewatched the finale with them on but I’ll keep an ear out next time

I noticed that Succession was particularly bad for it this last season, or maybe I just noticed it more because the dialogue in that show is so sharp and precise.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

one thing that was unclear to me though was what is revealed by dougie's guy with the drone? he said he saw something 700 ft away or something and dougie immediately starts crying. i missed what happened there.

The guy was just celebrating that he got a signal from the drone nearby and it wasn't gone. Unlike the Ashman

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I keep thinking about The Curse finale. I love the way people are talking about it, but I wish I saw more of that. I hope it's the kind of thing that really gets out there by word of mouth and makes the show go viral.

If you think about it, it's really clever to do something like that attached to the rest of this show, because everything else about it is really good and interesting in and of itself. It's why the ending works so well, because it's the imposition of such a random and savage interpolation into the narrative that it's basically post modern. Particularly the way that Asher and Whitney, characters we know to be magical thinkers, are completely unable to grasp that something obviously supernatural is occurring. They just can't conceive that something so obviously impossible was happening, and the show was so effectively and believable real until this point that for a good minute I couldn't believe it was happening either.

Emma Stone is just so masterfully funny at this point, particularly the bit where she's bounding across the floor, trying to dodge an "air pocket" that we know doesn't exist but she very definitely believes in. The utterly ridiculous series of Maguivers are such a good touch. The completely ridiculous comedy bit with the vacuum cleaner is inspired. Completely logical from their point of view, but utterly ridiculous to us.

The way the show dismisses a lot of its other subplots feels vaguely cruel, but I like that it mirrors Asher and Whitney's similar dispassionate attitudes to the people in their lives. Whitney reads about Cara in the news rather than directly from her erstwhile "friend", Abshur's gifted house is, as much as anything else, a convenient way to wash their hands of him and their awkward relationship. I'm amused by Asher's attempt to candidly record their gifting ceremony, even if that went well who would that be for? They'll be happy to move on after that.

I like that Whitney, even when she gets what she wants -- a brief spotlight to prove herself to the world on a popular show -- she stuffs it. She stumbles through her house salespitch like an awkward nerd. The product is dumb but she sells it so badly. She's immediately shown up -- cucked -- by Big Pussy (and Rachel Ray) selling their own products. They show her how it's done.

Anyway, that finale ruled. The absurdity, the horror, the sheer tension of watching even small moments like watching Asher enthusiastically dash across the inside of the house's roof.

Anyway, the ending is amazing. I've been telling everyone I know about it without telling them anything about it. It's fascinating and made everything I've seen since a little crappier by comparison.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Open Source Idiom posted:

Emma Stone is just so masterfully funny at this point, particularly the bit where she's bounding across the floor, trying to dodge an "air pocket" that we know doesn't exist but she very definitely believes in. The utterly ridiculous series of Maguivers are such a good touch. The completely ridiculous comedy bit with the vacuum cleaner is inspired. Completely logical from their point of view, but utterly ridiculous to us.

I thought this was really great comedy too, she's so physically funny in this moment.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

I watched with subtitles first so I assumed they were right, but when I rewatched I didn't have them on and was really confused waiting for that line again.

It's clearly "wake up" like you transcribed. The subtitles are wrong. I could see the first line being mistaken but the other two are obvious. It's not uncommon to see subtitle mistakes these days but the last line of a character seems pretty important to get right.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

a new study bible! posted:

Would you mind naming it in a spoiler?

Something in the Dirt, Benson and Moorhead's latest.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I watched the last 2 episodes last night, then barely got any sleep. The whiplash between the final sad/scary scene of episode 9 and then the whole finale had my brain on fire!

The chainsaw scene is what is sticking with me. The absolute horror and desperation Asher was going thru worked so well. The closest thing on film I can compare it to is when one of the women gets stuck in a squeeze in The Descent.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I saw some post where someone got their mom to watch the show but she accidentally started with the last episode, and now I’m wondering what that must be like. I think it would still work pretty well, but I wonder how my interpretation of stuff might have differed if I started off knowing Asher and Whitney are still together, Green Queen wasn’t that successful, and Asher flies off into space at the end. That would also make Asher’s insane monologue in episode 9 the final scene of the show, which is kind of terrifying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Picturing an alternate version of this show that starts with Asher flying through the atmosphere before it freeze-frames and he comes on the voiceover with "you might be wondering how I got here".

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Picturing an alternate version of this show that starts with Asher flying through the atmosphere before it freeze-frames and he comes on the voiceover with "you might be wondering how I got here".

Someone has to do this edit for a first show cold open, complete with record scratch sound effect.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm still wondering!

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was not feeling the ending yesterday but it's grown on me after thinking about it. There are a lot of little moments like the cuts from Whitney's conversations with the jeans clerk into a pan to the ceiling with sky and clouds wallpaper that on a rewatch will look like wildly apparent foreshadowing.

This show was not going to solve gentrification in one episode or anything.

i thought the sky panel was a reference to the magritte painting

anyways the new pharrell show made me want to vomit https://www.youtube.com/live/IKxU7HKfhk4?si=1WYo6-hd9UXGMyBo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
"Big Pussy"...... "small penis"..... coincidence?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mcmagic posted:

It’s better than this because they got Emma stone but you’re directionally right.

shut the gently caress up mcmagic

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
I'm going to posit an interpretation of the ending I haven't seen proposed, or at least in this manner: could Asher's anti-gravity problem also be read as a metaphor for climate change? Consider Rachael Ray's critique of the passive homes: they don't really solve any problems and introduce problems that even Asher and Whitney circumnavigate. Just like throwing a net over Asher and sawing off a tree branch did nothing and made the problem worse, many of our "solutions" to climate change, like replacing gasoline-powered vehicles with electric ones, can be seen as counter-intuitive with the lithium mining involved. And, with the damage already done, what did a "normal" life for Asher entail anyway? The restrictions he'd have to impose to live would basically require being homebound, which while not impossible seem to mimic the restrictions an affluent American would need to be carbon neutral. In Asher's case, where the life or death implications are so black and white, of course he would do whatever it takes to stay alive, but nobody else will without that knowledge.

demostars fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 17, 2024

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, the inclusion of the Alice Coltrane was amazing. It comes as no surprise to me that apparently Safdie and Fielder do LSD together.

Don’t be silly, that only happens inside the house.

And also apparently with Joaquin Phoenix. Dude is living the life.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
can't say that it was a good tv show, but can say it was an interesting watch.

It didn't have a lot to say, wasn't particularly arty or profound, but it did make you feel something very different to most television experiences, and that is thought provoking in itself.

It reveled in discomfort, and I reveled in wondering where the show was going to take all of its absurdity. The ending maximised the absurdity and removed the discomfort and also gave pretty solid closure on the tv show - if not the lives and stories of those happening within it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sounds kind of like you're describing a good TV show lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

swamp thong posted:

It didn't have a lot to say,

a critique of dishonesty regarding self worth and manipulative altruism and marriage dynamics and purpose? yeah not a lot to say.

swamp thong posted:

wasn't particularly arty or profound

shot looking like every other tv show out there. no post processing to crank up the film grain or interesting angles with objects or distance obscuring the characters. not "arty" at all, your right.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
This show had a lot to say about white liberal treatment of natives. I had tuned out the land recognitions given by my local theaters, but this show got me to look up how the First Nation feels about them, and it is unsurprisingly mostly negative.

Covering up past genocide and ignoring the problem obviously isn't the solution, but what is currently ongoing in America is still genocide and nearly all of us are complicit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think beyond that, it's a pretty brutal lampooning of the white liberal mindset in general. Which is interesting, because I think it's something that people are generally afraid to criticize outside of oafish chuds who always miss the mark by a mile. Unlike some talking head on Fox News, The Curse actually "gets it" and I think that makes a lot of people uncomfortable because they can't just write it off.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

KPC_Mammon posted:

This show had a lot to say about white liberal treatment of natives. I had tuned out the land recognitions given by my local theaters, but this show got me to look up how the First Nation feels about them, and it is unsurprisingly mostly negative.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Literally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlG17C19nYo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whitney and Cara's relationship is a pretty interesting part of the show, cause honestly I think early on Cara kind of comes off as a huge bitch and a hack artist , but as the show went on I sympathized with both her character and her art a lot. Which I think is by design. Whitney wants literally nothing more in the world than for Cara to like her, but it's a 100% self serving and Cara is painfully aware of it. Whit doesn't want to be friends with Cara because she likes her. She wants to be friends with her because the optics of being friends with a successful native artist is level 10 white lib clout, and it also validates her own "art". Cara can't stand her, but puts up with her because it's lucrative. She'll never give Whit the validation she wants though and it drives her crazy. Whit almost looks at Cara as a failed investment. Since she doesn't have to worry about money. She invests in clout, and it drives her nuts that she isn't getting a return on her investment. It's an insanely callous way to treat someone even if on paper everything she does is very generous and "caring". It really gets driven home throughout the season. You really start to empathize with Cara's frustration and also see that she's actually on the level with pretty much anyone who isn't just trying to "buy" her. She even gets along with Dougie who is a huge douchebag, but at least he's not a complete phony. Whit absolutely cannot comprehend why Cara doesn't like her though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 18, 2024

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

veni veni veni posted:

Cara can't stand her, but puts up with her because it's lucrative.

also its funny attempting to derive meaning from every part of this show (brett voice: just like my ancestors sought to use every part of the buffalo...) but cara playing ball with whitney out of obligation is paralleled a few episodes later in whitney going bowling with asher

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm obsessed with how accurately this show depicts how people get lost in or are trapped by stupid meaningless bullshit.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4g9S9skdg

Corbin Bernsen did a live chat for uh, some place, about the finale and it's got a lot of good info in it

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Among the many great and interesting things about this show, I think it is funny that the "cool in the summer hot in the winter" concept pretty accurately describes a house made out of Adobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

ShoogaSlim posted:

a critique of dishonesty regarding self worth and manipulative altruism and marriage dynamics and purpose? yeah not a lot to say.

shot looking like every other tv show out there. no post processing to crank up the film grain or interesting angles with objects or distance obscuring the characters. not "arty" at all, your right.

it's too easy to poke at fake altruism and yes they needed more film grain.