Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You could probably make an extremely compelling follow-up show where they just go talk to all these people after they and everyone they know has presumably seen the episode air lol.

I keep checking the Cheap Chick in the City blog to see if there's any mention of it, but nothing, even with an update today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol he clearly did know it because he immediately went into exactly how willy wonka is terrifying

i want to know if the guy ever watched NFY, especially after Nathan asked him point blank. I get the feeling he never did.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nathan wrecked that horrible toy company man who doesn't care about anyone's feelings. Guy deserved it but just saying Nathan has a brutal side when he wants to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
like I'm not gonna want to be her friend but I don't think she looks bad, it's just a lot of person you don't know all at once and everyone is weird. Kor was a weird dude too. It's nice harmless weirdos are friends and value one another and it's very interesting to see what kind of strange people are, people that aren't characters or actors. Well except of course they are all actors and the whole show is a scripted and curated kayfabe based on people we never see, but the "authentic people are unusual beasts once you get a look at em" vibe remains

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
getting more smarter is one of the dumbest things any person can do to themselves

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The shot in the end is also part of building an overarching storyline for Nathan. Noit everything need be real or fake. Simulcra and simulation can be simulcration

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I should specify that it's not like this is a specific fault of this show. I basically can't watch any reality TV for the same reason. I can't watch Nathan For You, etc. It's just too irritating to constantly notice ways in which the show is straight up lying to me. Like, please, if you want to lie to me, it's easy! Just make a fictional show! Those are all lies! Please don't pretend to be making a real thing and then make me feel like a cop for spotting every time the artifice cannot be sustained concomitant with your narrative intent!

your neurosis here reeminds me of the panic some commentors have on a video where is might look vaguely "authentic" but then scripted activity happens. For most people it's pretty obvious and they move on, but for a subset of the population it's a huge deal, a massive betrayal, a personal affront to know someone attempted to entertain you on purpose.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No way of even knowing if it's a real Nathan or a Nathan impersonator. A lot of Nathanheads have speculated ever since one of the private detective NFY episodes that Nathan actually switch lives with one of the decoys. If you pay attention you can tell episodes they shot before and after that one because "Nathan" has a slightly different accent and microexpressions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
some posters are goons, some are regular viewers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol thought there was a new episode but i guess we're just making a nest for the pigeon making GBS threads everywhere

Tetramin posted:

They have a catch in the “Nathan for you celebration” that aired right before the final season.

The ghost realtor also had at the very least a pilot, I’m not sure if she got picked up or not, but her new medium did say that OJ is innocent.

It was actually Ron insisting that someone else was the killer, the new medium and his own connection to his own spirit guides were saying OJ did it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol it was pretty funny when he ate the ketchup packet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sticksy posted:

Him poking at sterling host of "Nathan for You - A Celebration," Anthony Napoli, about the threesome and Napoli getting very agitated about it, plus the absolutely brutal awkwardness between them throughout, still makes me laugh

The fact that Anthony Napoli tries denying the holocaust while on the show segment talking about Summit Ice just makes his flopped plug-time surprise all the more satisfying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I lost custody of my child because I had no proof they were a baby and not an adult.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sticksy posted:

Shout out to J Squad

https://youtu.be/h1xCqptlNcM?t=375

I love that the weirdness of the situation is heightened by him wearing an elf suit while talking to the Ohio Tag Team Bros about this.

best bit is nathan's saucy plate-break to help her get another sale and just the look he gives

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god just started episode and what an incredible opener

edit: Is Robin a plant?? edit2: oh my god no the numbers found this man in the wild
Nathan packing some hand sanitizer after he says he doesn't really use condoms.
Packing the bong!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this all of this roomate inyteractionb

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I died laughing when Robin just gave up midway through the first night. "Is that your bag?" "Yes."

"Wasn't cut out for it I guess, not everybody is"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
His friggin phone call flowchart! What a ride!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't trust people who pray aloud or think numbers have magical significance to their whims

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

I watched "Finding Frances" and was a bit disappointed. It was a touching story, but after watching some other episodes of Nathan For You and the first episode of The Rehearsal, I expected more insanity. Do you US guys not have TV shows where they help find people that lost each other/distant relatives, so this is something that's more unique over there?

hahaha if they did, would definitely not care to watch that kind of show. Second of all, loving the idea of sitting through Finding Frances taking it as a straightforward "find unconnected person from past" show lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

General Dog posted:

I think a show that's so much about artifice and what's "real" is inevitably going to invite people to try to look under the hood.

yeah but it's also going to be funny to walk by a bunch of rubbernecks hunched in a circle over the engine of a clown car trying to figure out what kind of machinery enabled so many cars to fit in there in the first place

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I think he will set up the bar as his rehearsal base and literally live in the house raising the progressively older kid with Angela for an entire year while simultaneously shooting the “real” version of the show. Sort of like Review in which the job and home life are dangerously intertwined.

I hope.

I love Review, a nathanverse version of that escalation would be pretty incredible but maybe a bit too over the top, as absurd as that feels to say?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Angela is so wrong and dumb and gullible and also so smug about it and I hate that so much but it is very funny on screen especially when she fucks up the Usual Suspects quote. I do kind of hope she never has a child tho

lol oh my god is that where the devil trick quote comes from? I literally always heard it in the context of church and christianity. I knew it wasn't like a bible quote, more of an american christian thing, but I figured it was from focus on the family's cabal or something. If it's just from that movie where a criminal actor criminal lies about cups and posters

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why is this show so short? These could easily be 45-hour

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nathan's monologue about not feeling like a dad while absently handing a pickle slice out of a cup to a toddler while making eye contact with the racist dude lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The Usual Suspects put it that way, but the original quote, said somewhat differently but with the same meaning, is actually from Charles Beaudelaire from the 1800s

That's still absurdly recent. I mean, even the New Testament is suspiciously well after written beyond credibility as it is, but when I was a Christian it really started to bother me how many of my ideas about the world, heaven, hell, etc were influenced by various figures in pop culture over the years like this old timey influencer you shared. So much of it not even based on the bible, which really doesn't say all that much about heaven, hell, or the various figures we often rolled into "the devil." Yet somehow those become the sole focus for some mindsets.

My dad told me a lot growing up, maybe to keep me interested, that angels & demons were doing literally sword fights and battles and stuff in the same rooms as us on another plane, and their successes and defeats depended on us... like being righteous and doing whatever we're told god wants us to do.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm so thankful for ~30-minute shows these days. Everything is so long. It's nice to watch something short.

I hear ya, especially since this isn't really a show you can "background" but these last two episodes have really felt like Nathan shooing his kid off into his room so he could become a five year old. I wouldn't mind a few more moments to connect.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My mom's been watching Big Brother for decades, I'd finally "get" it if Nathan did 35 hours of footage. I'd watch them all obsessively in a chat room.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what god do you believe in because i'm pretty sure my god would kick yours rear end and you're wasting your time with that weak rear end deity

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol what is bohemian grove, wikipedia doesnt seem to mention whatever satan stuff in the controversy section, how did it get tied to her brand of satanic panic? just general rich people = doing cartoon satan stuff?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i love when he slips into the, what second person? perspective like How to with John Wilson. Forces you into the shoes of a madman doing the things nathan is doing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's just fundamentally unexpected. who would think to do that in such a manner, and so casually because it never occurred there was any other way or anything odd with this one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
relentless solipsism

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Rewatching Nathan For You, it's interesting to see glimmers of The Rehearsal in there. Obviously Smokers Allowed is a clear predecessor, but there's also smaller moments like asking for one of his impersonators' keys so he can live as them while they pretend to be him in the Private Investigator episode.

lol the way he's almost breaking when he finally browbeats the girlfriend into letting him into the house and he just has to awkwardly sit while she gets on the phone and lays down the line that she's not okay with this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
even in Christianity, Jews are notably god's chosen people. Half the stories are about jewish people and customs. Jesus was pretty famously a jewish teacher and the "messiah" he claimed to be was the jewish one (like if he were the jewish messiah his followers would still be jewish). When I was a little kid and christian it really bothered me all the other people who believed in the same god didn't go to the same church. Meanwhile I remember my dad and step-mom having this big fight once essentially because he was telling her that her grandfather, as a catholic / idol-worshipper he didn't get into heaven or some poo poo, like, under the guise she needed to stop trying to be all catholic and fully commit to the "non-denominational" evangelical church he took us to.

So much of it is just made up too, not in the "religion is myth" way but like, stuff that isn't supported by the texts, history, traditions, or values of the religion. I reckon "focus on the family" cabal were held more as the voice of god than the bible or even calvary church itself. These days I guess it's whatever crazy poo poo they read online. Frustrating thing is that christianity and the bible have interesting histories and there's a lot to learn there about how the bible versions shook out, the authors, the history and politics behind the translations and interpretations of things, but there's no drive to ever look at that, and instead it's weird conservative psyops poo poo they absorb.

Anyway, was still like gross hearing Angela say she was against Judaism even if I'd heard as much before from church and christians.

Great episode that showed quite a few flavours of human shittiness. I love this show for not being what I think it's gonna be even while readjusting my expectation of what it'll be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the woman calling her an anti-semite for not wanting to raise "her kid" Jewish was really silly. You could tell Angela was trying to explain further that she wasn't "against Judaism" in the way that the woman implied but she had already flown off the handle. Not that there aren't probably some more problematic things buried in there, but it Angela clearly wasn't trying to express that she is anti-Jew.

She was going to explain it in the same way anybody with bigoted views but not a specific cartoon "hatred" of a specific race will claim they're not racist or bigoted, they're just [expressing whatever bigoted or racist belief they hold without personal hate, just a conclusion of their other beliefs]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Yeah... this show has been amazing so far, but I really just want more regular episodes sprinkled between the Angela arc. A lot of the fun of Nathan is seeing the lengths he goes to try to help people. It kind of feels like this show was supposed to be 10 episodes, but HBO only gave him 6.

They gave him budget for 10 episodes but winter is expensive to maintain.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mordja posted:

Oh, okay.

lol didn't they say that on like the first episode too and then stuck around the poo poo up the thread for several more weeks. i think that's just roomtone's MO. watch a TV show, somehow not actually watch or get any of it and doesn't really like it, buckles down and argue with all of the people who did watch it, get it or like it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Now, do you trust Angela's judgment in raising a child?

no of course not but that's probably also a staggering majority percentage of the population if you got to know about them.

if only qualified sensible rational parents were able to procreate, the would population would still be under a billion. seems unlikely we'd want angela's parents having kids if they had done a rehearsal 40 years ago

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Angryhead posted:

What an amazing rollercoaster of an episode.
Absolutely gutwrenching at points, but I also laughed so many times - the battery in the kitchen made me howl.

Feels like I gotta immediately rewatch the entire season now.

The line where he's like "there's so much detail" when looking at the actual house a child lived in really cracked me up. I related to it after I spend a week straight basically working on this 3d project creating this little chunk of city, and looking at games I was playing for the little details and how to put it all together with my own junk, and after this prolonged period of hyperfixating on trying to create simulated details -- I was in the garage doing some laundry and started noticing all the great props and little bullshit scene clutter in there, hardly anything copy+pasted, nearly all unique meshes, some artificially repeating patterns but in a realistic manufacturing way.

The_Rob posted:

She didn’t seem like she had bad intentions, and Remi seemed to enjoy the experience he’s still just insanely young and it’s hard to tell reality from fiction at that age. It seemed like he did understand it too when he explained it I think the kid just really liked Nathan and really wanted a dad. Super emotional episode from a super weird show.

I'm thinking back to a NFY where he has an actress stare into his eyes and say "I love you" with him just repeating "again." Was part of the proto-rehearsal episode where they recreate a snippet of a night at a bar with smoking as part of a loophole where smoking is allowed if it's part of an artistic performance. Very different here, since Remy being happy to be loved by a father figure, after having like a genuinely fun time together like, they were acting but they were also still just doing what they'd be doing if they were just playing.

In 25 years it'll be interesting watch the Nathan Retrospective Special, check which businesses are still around after his help, if that kid ever made the big bucks hustling vapes, see if Kor ever lied about having a masters degree again, see if Remy has persistent issues trusting people will love him without it being facile and temporary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
As a kid I would spend summers (or 6 months before mom got a lawyer) with my Dad and dad's side of the family and then come back home to my mom's house and I'd be devastated crying trying to get her to accept jesus in her heart so she wouldn't burn in hell when she died. Dad never stood there and had my mom tell me she was going to hell to preserve my sense of faith, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

That one is actually properly quoted out of the Bible though. All the poo poo about hell and antisemitism and satanic influences is purestrain Alex Jones lunacy.

II love that the phrasing still makes it sound like Jesus is promoting a limited-forgiveness systems. 490 times is the limit, anymore than that and you should be out of forgives to give.