Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://newrepublic.com/article/167189/nathan-fielder-sorry-rehearsal-hbo-review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Even with Patrick's antisemitic moment Nathan kind of gave him an off ramp that he chose not to take.

My wife and I have recently been rewatching Nathan For You because we haven't seen it in years and The Rehearsal has made us need more Fielder in our life and its incredible how often this is how he handles situations.

He did the same thing with the caricature artist who was making the *suuuuuuuuper* loving racist "Asian caricature." Nathan tries to call his attention to it, to which the artist immediately doubles down.

Hell, look at Robbin. "Are you sure it's okay to drive without a license plate?"

If nothing else, I feel like Nathan recognizes when these people are about to be tremendously loving stupid or make fools of themselves and basically says "Do you want to take that back or double down."

People are bad at recognizing that they should not double down. But I guess the people who can recognize that wouldn't sign up for a reality show.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Khanstant posted:

My dad told me a lot growing up, maybe to keep me interested, that angels & demons were doing literally sword fights and battles and stuff in the same rooms as us on another plane, and their successes and defeats depended on us... like being righteous and doing whatever we're told god wants us to do.

That's literally the plot of the 1980s Frank E. Peretti series that starts with "This Present Darkness."

I read those growing up. Half of the book is super preachy religious "small town pastor just trying to save the souls of his town and the people in from evil temptation/pop culture/whatever" and the other half is basically an incredibly heavy metal fantasy story of angels and demons murdering the gently caress out of each other.

quote:

During the time that this is happening, the story takes on a spiritual dimension—revealing a perspective based on the idea of unseen forces at work. The angels who wage warfare for the souls of mankind look and act similarly to humans—they have names, they are in charge of specific regions of earth, and they are propelled by heavenly forces that often manifest as wings. They wear armor and wield weapons forged in heaven—most notably, swords. Demons, as well, are depicted as being ink-like shadows in the darkness, flowing from shadow to shadow, until the time comes when they truly reveal themselves as monstrous beasts with bat-wings and armor. Their spiritual combat spans from one-on-one battles to vast armies charging into each other in the "unseen realms" above us.

Dude could have been a decent fantasy author. Instead, he did Christian fiction - which, I guess on the other hand, he's decently well known for. Probably easier to make a name for yourself there, despite your limited overall reach.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/MenForFieIder/status/1552373782861447170

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

When they come across ridiculous, it's just that some people are ridiculous. They just don't know what it's like to crash their Scion at 100 mph and end upright on a miracle.

I think some viewers are too used to watching people be edited to look somewhat "normal" on TV even though what is "normal" on TV is not at all reality. People, in general, are loving weird and ridiculous. We're not used to getting that highlighted in this way. When the weird and ridiculous is then treated as "normal," it makes some viewers' brains short circuit.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Khanstant posted:

lol what is bohemian grove, wikipedia doesnt seem to mention whatever satan stuff in the controversy section, how did it get tied to her brand of satanic panic? just general rich people = doing cartoon satan stuff?

It was basically a group gathering of wealthy gays in 60s/70s San Francisco (this is the most reductive as gently caress explanation of it). Nixon also talked about it on his tapes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

So Truman Show but everyone is in on it... I am sorry but if that is the finale and not just an entire season I am going to cry

The idea of "The Truman Show but everyone is on it" is... just kinda life though, right? And I think kinda brilliant in a way because if you had a whole community "pretending" to be a community, it's just lampshading that everyone is already pretending their way through life and we don't acknowledge it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

that last scene was scripted, right?

Everything is scripted and nothing is scripted.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The funniest Nathan Fielder thing, to me, is how Elon Musk idolizes him and has invited him to multiple parties and keeps trying to tell jokes and impress him and Nathan Fielder (rightfully) believes Elon Musk loving sucks and is lame as hell.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

This makes me like Nathan more, but also makes me embarrassed to like something Elon does.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/11/style/elon-musk-social-calendar.html

quote:

Mr. Musk has, in particular, pursued a friendship with one comedian whose public image revolves around the outrageous steps he takes to relate to other people: Nathan Fielder, who first became famous for his Comedy Central show “Nathan For You,” which turned a series of preposterous business ideas, including excrement-flavored frozen yogurt and athletic apparel dedicated to raising Holocaust awareness, into the definitive parody of modern American entrepreneurship.

Mr. Musk — a huge fan — invited Mr. Fielder to lunch at SpaceX in 2016.

For years afterward, the famous businessman invited the famous fake businessman to his parties and would strain to make the deadpan Canadian laugh.

Mr. Musk set up a similar meet-and-greet with Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, the creators of the animated comedy series “Rick and Morty”; he voiced an alternate version of himself, named Elon Tusk, in the show’s fourth season.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It feels very much like those "financial advice" articles you'll read about "How to be financially independent and debt free by the age of 30!" and they always start with "My parents gave me $500k to buy my own house, pay my debts, and start my own company."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy poo poo. This is good.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

When asked about Dougie’s ridiculous style ,Safdie said that he is directly based off reality TV producers he’s met in real life. Also he wears multiple kinds of cologne at the same time while in character.

I don’t know how true this is but fielder said that one of the female crew members said she wasn’t attracted to Benny Safdie but thought he was hot as Dougie lol.

As someone who has worked in unscripted television, yeah, Safdie crushes the role.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I truly can't imagine the reaction of someone who knows Emma from LaLaLand or Spiderman hearing trying to get through an episode, much less the season.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://screenings.a24films.com/curse/the-curse-finale-special-screening_fine-arts-theatre_Jan-08-2024_7-00-PM/

I signed up. Crossing my fingers I get a ticket.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Welp. I think I'm going to avoid this thread until after the finale so I can be on blackout.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Episodes 8, 9, and 10 all had me feeling completely nauseous for their entire duration for completely different reasons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i was only able to watch an episode or two at a time of this show not bc i couldn't handle the cringe or weirdness, but bc i like/need to give myself time to process the density of what's going on each episode without overloading.

i can and do cram episode after episode of stuff like master chef bc it's mindless and repetitive and nothing substantial really happens. but i prefer to not binge shows where things are happening that i want to process and cling to the stuff i'm watching unfold.

This is absolutely how I am. I cannot binge watch scripted shows. My wife and I have been watching Reacher and even with that, we watch a single episode a night at most. Sometimes taking a few days break between episodes. It allows us to kind of marinate the thoughts of the most recent episode.

Others will disagree, but I feel like the "binge watch" style of modern streaming sucks.

Like, my folks watch 4-5 hours of TV a night. But they will only watch one show at a time. So that means they're burning through a season of a show in two to three days. I don't know how they're able to do that without every season just being a blur.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

atrus50 posted:

nathan has the game in the chokehold so bad even the crew working on the Curse thought that there was a good chance that the show would be a meta framing device and that they were in it https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-curse-nathan-fielder-reality-1235885081/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

“You know how when you’re shooting in an area, you might see a mistake in movies where someone in the background will look at the camera, and that’s like if they’re shooting in New York and you’re like, ‘Oh, that must be a real person,’” he added. ”We actually had extras that we directed them to look at the camera, so it feels like you get the real feeling…There’s a lot of people in the show that are looking at the camera, but we told them to do it.”

“We were almost staging like they’re just a guy who happened to be in the room, so it feels like a mistake, and so the viewer will feel like, ‘Oh my God, are they okay with this?’” Fielder explained. “We wanted people to think about that, because that’s what we were thinking about, too. We just really wanted to make sure we weren’t doing the thing that the characters were doing, even though we sort of are a little bit.”

The "person looks at the camera" bits were always the most unsettling poo poo. loving loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I'd watch that if it was a completely adult Nathan Fielder playing the baby, and basically no one ever acknowledged it and just played their scenes completely straight and deadpan. No superimposition or effects, just acting.

But enough about The Rehearsal.