Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Nathan for You is one of my top five shows of all time, so I'm so glad that this isn't letting me down at all. Highlights for me were the actress playing Tricia nailing how awful she seemed to be, and Thrifty Boy throwing back a ketchup packet in the interview. One thing I found interesting is that Nathan for You was mostly low stakes business ideas that end in failure, and this episode had high personal stakes that ended in success (in both friendship and trivia). It's the first episode, so we'll see where the series goes and if that changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The editing was effective, but I'm not sure if anything from this episode was more sinister than making a kid cry with goofy footage of their pet in heaven, convincing parents to put their kid in a soundproof box feet away from an orgy, or any interaction from the Hunk

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. the correct answer is who knows, who cares. I cannot wrap my head why this has become such a hot button topic.

Nathan has often talked about his interest in stage magic, where people enjoy those shows usually fall into two categories I can think of. They either buy into the kayfabe or appreciate the skill of the illusions, knowing that it's sleight of hand. I feel like Nathan's shows are similar, where it can be kind of fun to think about what he filmed out of sequence. But you don't want to go all Hank Hill in that episode where he locks his wife in a coffin. You are also not supposed to get angry that a magician is lying to you about really having magic powers or that magicians are ruining the lives of the people from the audience they bring on stage.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I haven't heard a show talk about the scion tc this much since frisky dingo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think the interviewer may have been Nathan with a fake mustache. It's absolutely brutal to read.

quote:

He said that he felt tension between himself and Fielder when he got into a fight with his roommate, saying that he was “literally about to beat his rear end.”

“He probably didn’t want people to see that,” he said.
I kind of doubt this happened the way he says, because it seems like incredible content to not put in the show.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

there's no such thing as too many numbers god bless you

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So far the actors Nathan has brought in have all been incredible. The woman who played Tricia in the first episode was hilariously brutal with her impression, and the old man was this week's MVP for convincing Patrick to go on an hours-long treasure hunt and possibly a clean up on aisle ten.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I thought the Texas switch at the end felt a little off for this show. Then it showed teenage Adam struggling out of the top of the slide, and it was perfect

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

The bit with Nathan and 9 year old Adam going to Remy's house ostensibly to play and then leaving with Nathan saying "ok do you think you got enough?" was incredibly ominous.

The silent birthday was funny, but that scene in the car made me laugh out loud. It had such good timing after the seemingly wholesome playdate.

I loved the series and can't wait to watch it again without waiting a week between episodes. It felt like a more thoughtful continuation of NfY. It kind of followed the formula of NfY by bringing in people not in on the joke to react to wild situations, but it also focused a lot more on Nathan's character. Nathan focusing on himself sometimes happened in NfY. But it usually felt like an more organic response to something that was said to him in that self-contained episode, my favorite being the "wizard of loneliness." This show is more intentionally about Nathan, which I wasn't expecting at all.

I loved the Rehearsal, absolutely amazing television. My biggest criticism of the last episode is that the anti-rehearsal and "embrace things you aren't prepared for" message Nathan was trying to land during his end speech would have had more impact if he spent more time exploring it earlier in the episode. It felt a little tacked on.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm a straight guy who is a pretty bad judge of how attractive other men are, but I can see it. He has a very solid Hollywood look compared to how he presented himself in Nathan for You

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Khanstant posted:

II love that the phrasing still makes it sound like Jesus is promoting a limited-forgiveness systems. 490 times is the limit, anymore than that and you should be out of forgives to give.

I grew up going to church and was always confused by that. I remember hearing a sermon one Sunday explaining that people couldn't really count that high back in Jesus times, so 490 is basically the same thing as 49 trillion. Real "24 is the highest number" energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I thought I would look cool. But due to a just a slight difference in chairs, I looked like a ghoul