Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's pretty nice that hbo max has all the shows in the nathanverse. I'm going to check out the john wilson this week, but going back through some choice NFY eps is also tempting

Joe Pera Talks With You is also a good ol' time, not so much meta or playing with perception as being gentle and good-humored, like a Sesame Street for grown-ups. I can easily imagine it being Nathan's bedtime show (in or out of character).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nevertheless, viewers persisted.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

nopants posted:

also everyone deserves a perfect egg bite

Husband: *breaks yolk* DAMMIT
Wife: Don't laugh, it isn't funny, he's really trying

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lastdancer posted:

this is a working simulation of a real Rehearsal discussion thread

My first step was to make an error that the average poster would recognize as normal behavior. I clicked on the reply button and typed, reply is not edit. Even though the post did not contribute anything to the discussion, it granted me powerful camouflage.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nathan... For Us

(cursed mode: Nathan Among Us)

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 22, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Second episode made me laugh, overall liked it, but seeing that the third episode will continue this family business has me pretty skeptical Nathan will make something compelling out of it. I'm just worried he will lean on the "yearning for a family" lever too hard/often.

Or maybe that's right where he wants me and my mind will be blown by the actual story! Enjoyed the first episode a lot more, though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Okay, I bitched about the second episode, but YES OH YES this third episode brought everything I love about Fielder/this premise roaring back to life.

Extremely glad he zeroed in on what I thought was one of the most poignant moments of the first episode (getting good at the rehearsal not being enough to replicate what the real encounter will feel like). The rehearsal-inception was fantastic here, as was the resolution (staring at a carnival ride with no passengers while actually being deserted).

As for the Angela stuff, it feels like she is given a wide berth for her overall rehearsal and Nathan is making it work as best he can. Pulling in other scenarios and using narration to tie scenes/themes together is working brilliantly to capitalize on a central figure who does not seem to want to challenge herself or her views at all. Shamelessly letting other people set up the farm but happy to walk by in the morning and pluck whole vegetables from the ground. Plus the whole Halloween "debate" where she deny any facts that don't fit her narrative. Just Google it! But don't trust Google, they're controlled by Satan. But we should all try to be better informed... by the right sources, which are the ones that agree with her.

I am okay with whatever level of artifice is sustaining this show. Magic is real!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Brightman posted:

The show is either for us or our enjoyment is completely superfluous.

I am hopeful that once the final episode concludes and we try to recount the show to anyone else, it will feel kind of like thinking back on Mr. Rogers and all the effort one guy put into making children feel better and more secure about themselves and the world.

Or maybe Nathan just wants to go to more interesting parties and needs us all to get on his level.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 6, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was Angela told it was going to happen? Was it for her benefit? For ours?

Despite Angela accepting it as whatever works for "the show," maybe Nathan is demonstrating a reset power for Angela to use later on.

As in, all that satanic stuff that could ruin her children? Let's act them all out. Really take it seriously and rewind away each time. One live-action Chick Tract PSA after another.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fly Ricky posted:

Plex dims the screen while paused so no screen-cap, but if Angela was trying to make a pasta pentagram she should have rehearsed it.

She was trying to see how easily it forms a pentagram before boiling the rest of the evil out of it (pasta is satanic, google it, unless the devil already got to those search results, but it's common knowledge anyway, open your eyes).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which Nathan are we talking about here -- Nathan Fielder, the human being running a prank show, or "Nathan", the character he's constructed through voice over and editing?

Because I agree that the show is performance art, but the character being constructed here isn't a genuine human being, and I dunno if there's much point talking about "Nathan" like he is one, or that he's genuinely trying to construct and perfect a theatrical / therapy hybrid.

Nathan is an improv guy, and like all improv guys he's chasing any set of circumstances that will allow him to both perform for others and incorporate them into the act. Everything on the show follows from this central truth.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chris James 2 posted:

Gentleman Jack and Time Traveler’s Wife were HBO regular and got canceled
Sesame Street was HBO regular and just got 215 episodes erased

https://twitter.com/ComicsSteve/status/1560601038629097472?t=_hkfKrfXIvdxcf7kUqegiA&s=19

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

He was traced by a (4-star) private investigator who couldn't catch him!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Went in expecting some strong obliviousness/overreaction, came back thinking this is a case of the headline writer not quite matching the body text.
Sepinwall described the events, high points, and moral/narrative gray areas pretty well. That he ended up feeling more conflicted about it than some other viewers is fair enough.

Season 2: The Rehearsal as practice run at life before we go to the great beyond? Angela's probably already down for that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hakkesshu posted:

I started watching Nathan For You and a few segments in the first season really struck me as proto-Rehearsal - namely the fake reality dating show and the fake funeral mourners.

Regardless if you for some reason have not watched it yet don't be like me and wait several years to do so because it's loving amazing.

https://www.avclub.com/nathan-for-you-rehearsal-comparison-episodes-1849409835

Some fun comparisons between the two shows.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hakkesshu posted:

The Plan: Convince an entire subset of a popular forum that Zack Snyder movies are good, actually

I mean, if it saves Warner Bros. Discovery...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Funny Games, but Nathan has to get the kills exactly right each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

George H.W. oval office posted:

How To With John Wilson was produced by Nathan but that's about it and is also good

Do we know if Nathan helped John find subjects for the individual profiles, or did John just run into them on his own? They both seem to specialize in giving platforms to eccentric/hyper-fixated personalities...