Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
the cinema of that tracking shot where they exit to the skyline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
so a thing about the match cut scene is that i think it's a bit overambitious about said match cut. Where exactly is this conversation taking place? I assume it's at the warehouse. but then it draws attention to the chronology if that's the case. Could have used an establishing shot of kor & nathan debriefing at the warehouse after the bar. but the jacket nathan wears kinda points to the conversation happening outside, as he never wears a jacket when at the warehouse, and the tie is conspicuous about his outfit being quite different. it's set up like a magic trick to show as little of the setting as possible, so it seems like it could have taken place immediately after the encounter in an alley outside the bar. which points either towards the actor's reaction being shot after so that the cuts would match, or a higher degree of stoogism than anticipated. Either way, an ecstatic truth

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
lol this thread. i just pointed out that one edit mostly cuz i didnt like the execution on a technical film-making level. I dont have any ambivalence about the story or the way it's constructed.

on a nother note, cant wait for cashiers du cinema to list it at the end of the year for being a 4-hour film, conceived of as a single text and shot out of sequence as one does a feature

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
this ep is what i watch nathan for. gravity defying, jaw dropping stuff. he's firing on all cylinders

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i hope that one day this gets a remake, like maybe the koreans could make a scripted movie version like spike lee's oldboy

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
awful nyt article that WARNING spills some magician's secrets https://www.vulture.com/article/nathan-fielder-the-rehearsal-alligator-lounge-visit.html?utm_medium=s1&utm_source=tw&utm_campaign=nym

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
did they drop the aging thing? sucks that the gag was too expensive to keep going

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Last scene got me real good, both in the way it was set up and just how Nathan played it. I wonder if they screened for a pro-isreal person or just rolled the dice

i have a sneaking suspicion from this one daily beast interview i read that his casting team might target weirdos on purpose. they certainly do not use regular casting agencies for their "marks," instead putting feelers out in certain communities

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
saw this one podcast snippet where a guy who interned at abso lutely discussed helping the assistant editors with s4 n4u footage. apparently nathan breaks frequently in cut footage, and will run through scenes dozens of times to get something that he is looking for. there is high intentionality and calculation to nathan's process, and the guy described him as "nigh kubrickian"

also apparently abso lutely has a tradition where they eva "congratulations" at interns on their birthday, making them come down to the main cubical bullpen for cake as everyone leaves their office to stare them down while clapping cannes style at them with blank expressions

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 17, 2022

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
cant really say i gently caress with the cinematography here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tui5vl13Gqg

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i appreciated the last frame. made the guy look like a western hero

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
ep4 has a bit too much affectation for my tastes. couldnt keep from thinking how much better lynch could have done the pre titles sequence

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
ive seen some press with nathan that starts off with him not doing a bit and he will eventually find something to do a bit about and then derail the interview into that bit.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
when that lady looked right in the camera wow

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i think it took till this episode to realize that the opening credits are over camera footage. thats a great touch

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
fanart https://x.com/artstitle/status/1739850095745749124?s=20

edit: safdie drone shot at the end of the ep was fuckin beautiful, probably the best looking episode all around so far

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
https://x.com/benny_safdie/status/1741518422935028025?s=20

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i actually cant tell if im not buying nathan's take at the end of the ep or if ive been caught in the headlights of whatever the eco friendly version of a ford raptor is seconds before it puts its famed ev acceleration capabilities to use and ramps it

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 5, 2024

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
yes nice callback but i seriously cant tell if the hand trembling was some sort of red gatorade prop. i think its possible the character does have that level of manipulation awareness, and going outside the hotel room for just long enough means we dont see him actually put together how he's going to figure the situation out

in all fairness im reading it as not a conscious affectation but whatever it was has Whitney shellshocked. or was she shellshocked from the pottery clip nailing her real feelings to the wall? ahhh its mirrors on mirrors in this show

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 5, 2024

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
id place a tenner on it going out like the holy mountain, where all three characters get happy endings and a season 2 renewal announced before the show makes it on air

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was not feeling the ending yesterday but it's grown on me after thinking about it. There are a lot of little moments like the cuts from Whitney's conversations with the jeans clerk into a pan to the ceiling with sky and clouds wallpaper that on a rewatch will look like wildly apparent foreshadowing.

This show was not going to solve gentrification in one episode or anything.

i thought the sky panel was a reference to the magritte painting

anyways the new pharrell show made me want to vomit https://www.youtube.com/live/IKxU7HKfhk4?si=1WYo6-hd9UXGMyBo

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
season 2 should be set in la like true detective

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
nathan has the game in the chokehold so bad even the crew working on the Curse thought that there was a good chance that the show would be a meta framing device and that they were in it https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-curse-nathan-fielder-reality-1235885081/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
fielder has announced his narrative feature debut: he's doing the bluetooth anal beads story https://x.com/THR/status/1785868840947290556