Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ShowTime posted:

Yea i'm starting to see his style of humor and I like it.

And I think that's the premise of the show based on what he says at the beginning, which is something about people thinking he has an unsettling personality and he tries to mitigate that. Then he is trying to help other people through their issues. It's maybe a tangential thing, but I don't think this show is fully a reality tv show at all and is instead a bit of a scripted drama rooted in reality. Time will only tell I guess.

Well, he's playing a character, and it's based in part on some research he did on autistic people (although the character is explicitly not autistic). The bit about why he's doing it might have come from that--autistic people often rehearse conversations as a coping mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

Has he done an interview on that? How does that work, "my character is based on autistic people but the character isn't autistic (because then I would get in trouble)"

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/nathan-fielder-how-the-cult-comedian-rules-the-outer-limits-of-awkward-203950/

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I think the first description made it sound a little more negative.

I think I chose my words carefully and was only trying to offer some possible background on a single line of exposition. :(

vvv Oh yeah, the part where they go through the scenario he was worried about reminded me of exercises where you ask yourself, what's the worst that could happen? and work through that.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 18, 2022

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Tetramin posted:

What gives you this idea? I think you might be connecting some extra dots here.

The coping mechanism I'm talking about is rehearsing or scripting conversations and is done for the same reasons he gave in the line I was talking about. I do not think he or the show owes anything to whatever reading he did to fine-tune his screen persona. I was just noting the similarity.